Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 67

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2012 :  00:20:17  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Richard. I finished The Masked Witches a while ago and wanted to say that I really enjoyed it and that I look forward to the other two. I wish they were coming out on a schedule like the last trilogy. I do have one question if you can answer it. Are we going to see anyone from your previous trilogies (Year of Rogue Dragons and Haunted Lands) or stand alones that wasn't mentioned in Masked Witches? If the answer is yes any hints would be great, though I imagine you aren't allowed to talk about specifics. Similar to how we saw Brimstone in the last trilogy is what I mean.

I also read your Box Office Poison article and I have some thoughts on those two movies if you don't mind. I think John Carter failed because of marketing and people reading the premise and scratching their heads. The marketing shows a man leaping around all over the place for no apparent reason and the premise (Civil War veteran winds up on Mars) without explanation can sound ridiculous to some people. I liked the movie personally, and I think most people would if they saw it but they never got past the marketing.

For Conan, (IMHO) the major drawback was that it wasn't Arnold. Most of the people I talk to about it (and these are reasonably geeky people) do not know that Conan is based on Howard's stories from several decades ago. I didn't know until a few years ago. All I knew of Conan was from the Arnold movie, inaccurate though it may be. Beyond that, I believe the Arnold movie was the better overall movie. The script, music, and even acting (maybe not on Arnold's part) were better. King Osric, a bit part to move the plot along, is played by Max Von Sydow. IMO, nothing in the newer movie compares to that, though in fairness there are worse complaints than an actor not being up to the level of Max Von Sydow and James Earl Jones.

Script wise I don't think the two are in the same league. The original has memorable moments such as the discussion of religion and gods and Conan's prayer to Crom and powerful moments such as when Conan kills Rexor by shattering his father's sword. I found Conan's origin a lot more believable in the original. The whole literally born in battle thing didn't do it for me, nor did the child killing machine.

For me personally, 80s movies have a magic all their own. Conan's world in Arnold's movie looks lived in and real. It looks desolate between the few cities. It feels dangerous. Conan has to hide from dogs before he is able to arm himself (and then turns their hides into clothes to protect from the elements) and strangers along the road can be a lot more than they appear to be.

Maybe my comparisons to Arnold's movie are unfair, but I believe that played a big part. I know that I also feel a little cheated and I am probably holding that against the new movie. I want the movie we were given a glimpse of in the credits. I want to see (a now age appropriate) Arnold wearing the crown upon a troubled brow.

To put my thoughts of the two versions another way, I payed to watch the Arnold movie in a theater last year at GenCon (though I wish they could've somehow got the DVD cut with the deleted scenes). The next time I watch the other one will be when it is on TV and I am really bored. It isn't that I thought the new one was bad. It's that it felt generic and the whole time I knew there was what I considered to be a better version at my house on DVD and for me it never got over that hump.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1759 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2012 :  04:40:34  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Tyrant. Glad you enjoyed the book. I don't foresee anyone else from older stories turning up in this new one. But please stay tuned. I haven't forgotten any of my characters, and any of them who could plausibly have survived the 100-year time jump is likely to show up in some book eventually.

Interesting thoughts on the Conan films. To me, a devout Howard fan, Schwarzenegger wasn't especially good as Conan, but I realize he's a charismatic screen presence and made a powerful impression on many movie goers.

And now, FYI from Marshella Rockwell:

Hey, Forgotten Realms folks, help me out here. WotC has the following product description for Skein of Shadows:

"Continuing the story that began in The Shard Axe, Sabira finds herself drawn into an expedition into the Underdark, where she discovers drow intrigue and dire secrets."

Except Sabira goes into Khyber, NOT the Underdark. Analogous, maybe, but not the same. And since the book is starting to appear on Forgotten Realms fan sites, I'd appreciate it if you'd let folks know it is NOT a Forgotten Realms book, because I don't really want to get murdalized by folks who buy it thinking it is and then are disappointed when Sabira doesn't go traipsing through Menzoberranzan or something. Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2012 :  05:08:09  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers
Interesting thoughts on the Conan films. To me, a devout Howard fan, Schwarzenegger wasn't especially good as Conan, but I realize he's a charismatic screen presence and made a powerful impression on many movie goers.

I did read a few of Howards stories once I found out about Conan's origins. I can see where Arnold seems wrong both in personality and body appearance. To me, while Mamoa had more lines he wasn't a tremendous improvement. I think the new one tried to be different, but at some point they realized they had to aknowledge the other movies and that is where the origin (well, the non-EXTREME parts that apparently have to be in every movie now) came from since it is fairly similar to Arnold's movie.

Anyway, I just wanted to share the perspective of someone who preferred the original.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1759 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2012 :  12:41:34  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Tax Day in Superland" is my new column on Airlock Alpha:

http://airlockalpha.com/node/9074/astrojive-tax-time-in-superland.html
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1759 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2012 :  22:26:17  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks to the keen eyes of DragonReader, info on my next Forgotten Realms/Brotherhood of the Griffon novel:

http://www.amazon.com/Prophet-Dead-Richard-Lee-Byers/dp/0786963611/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1336486381&sr=1-9
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  02:01:55  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Great news. A great "gift" in the first quarter of 2013! Any chance that it'd be released in hardcover, or trade paperback at least?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1759 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  04:56:07  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As far as I know, it will simply be a trade paperback like the previous ones in the series.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  06:06:22  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Trade paperback? That would be better.

Or maybe you mean mass-market paperback?

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1759 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  14:23:43  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did mean mass market. Brain misfired. Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  18:27:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm trying to see the bright side...At least it's not an ebook-only release.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1759 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2012 :  12:21:58  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My new column at Airlock Alpha deals with the fine art of parody (and the new Dark Shadows movie.)

http://airlockalpha.com/node/9144/astrojive-how-to-spoof-and-how-not-to.html
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2012 :  13:41:13  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your column pretty much cuts to the heart of Dark Shadows but as someone who didn't even exist in the 70's I cant comment on whether the movie Dark Shadows is better then the TV series but neither was it as bad as reviews and IMDB lead me to believe. Johnny Deep's acting was as good as ever though perhaps Helena Bonham Carters character should have had a larger part.
Eva Green was not the ideal choice as the villain, I feel someone like Charlize Theron would have been better.
Overall it was an entertaining movie and I for one cannot understand the vitriol people have unleashed upon it.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  04:01:25  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Never saw the movie. My friend vehemently discouraged me. [But of course, I'm one who doesn't always listen. So...]

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  12:41:00  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was the same with me , but my brother watched and he quite enjoyed it so I decided to give it a try. Plus Indian reviewers not being that familiar with the original series gave it a better review. However i wouldn't say it was a great movie, I mean its not exactly Tim Burton's best work but it is entertaining.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1759 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2012 :  19:03:02  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just in case anyone's interested, these were my nominations for Airlock Alpha's 2012 Portal Awards:

BEST ACTOR/TELEVISION
1. Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
2. Jensen Ackles, Supernatural
3. Dylan McDermott, American Horror Story
4. Matt Smith, Doctor Who
5. Andrew Lincoln, The Walking Dead
6. Jared Padalecki, Supernatural
7. Eric Loomis, The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes
8. Noah Wylie, Falling Skies

BEST ACTRESS/TELEVISION
1. Lena Headey, Game of Thrones
2. Connie Britton, American Horror Story
3. Colleen O’Shaughnessey, The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes
4. Karen Gillan, Doctor Who
5. Sarah Wayne Callies, The Walking Dead
6. Anna Paquin, True Blood

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR/TELEVISION
1. Aidan Gillen, Games of Thrones
2. Iain Glen, Game of Thrones
3. Jack Gleeson, Game of Thrones
4. Nikolai Coster-Waidau, Game of Thrones
5. Arthur Darvill, Doctor Who
6. Charles Dance, Game of Thrones
7. Jon Bernthal, The Walking Dead
8. Steven Yeun, The Walking Dead
9. Evan Peters, American Horror Story
10. Will Patton, Falling Skies,
11. Colin Cunningham, Falling Skies

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS/TELEVISION
1. Jessica Lange, American Horror Story
2. Michelle Fairley, Game of Thrones
3. Sophie Turner, Game of Thrones
4. Maisie Williams, Game of Thrones
5. Frances Conroy, American Horror Story
6. Taissa Farmiga, American Horror Story
7. Laurie Holden, The Walking Dead

BEST EPISODE/TELEVISION
1. Slash Fiction, Supernatural
2. The Ghost of Harrenhal, Game of Thrones
3. Piggy, Piggy, American Horror Story
4. A Good Man Goes to War, Doctor Who
5. Beside the Dying Fire, The Walking Dead
8. Open House, American Horror Story

BEST SPECIAL GUEST/TELEVISION
1. Misha Collns, “Survival of the Fittest,” Supernatural
2. Jim Beaver, “Survival of the Fittest,” Supernatural
3. Mark Shepperd, “Survival of the Fittest,” Supernatural
4. James Patrick Stuart, “Survival of the Fittest,” Supernatural
5. Zachary Quinto, “Open House,” American Horror Story
6. Alex Kingston, “A Good Man Goes to War,” Doctor Who

BEST SERIES/TELEVISION
1. Game of Thrones
2. Supernatural
3. American Horror Story
4. The Walking Dead
5. Doctor Who
6. Falling Skies
7. The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes
8. Young Justice

BEST YOUNG ACTOR
1. Taissa Farmiga, American Horror Story
2. Maisie Williams, Game of Thrones
3. Sophie Turner, Game of Thrones
4. Jack Gleeson, Game of Thrones
5. Dave DeHaan, Chronicle
6. Isaac Hempstead Wright, Game of Thrones

BEST MOVIE
1. The Avengers
2. The Cabin in the Woods
3. Chronicle
4. Captain America: The First Avenger
5. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2
6. X-Men: First Class
7. John Carter
8. The Woman in Black
9. The Darkest Hour

BEST ACTOR/MOVIE
1. Robert Downey, Jr., The Avengers
2. Mark Ruffalo, The Avengers
3. Tom Hiddleston, The Avengers
4. Daniel Radcliffe, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2
5. Dane DeHaan, Chronicle
6. Bradley Whitford, The Cabin in the Woods
7. Chris Evans, Captain America: The First Avenger
8. Chris Hemsworth, The Avengers
9. James McAvoy, X-Men: First Class
10. Michael Fassbender: X-Men: First Class

BEST ACTRESS/MOVIE
1. Scarlett Johansson, The Avengers
2. Emma Watson, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2
3. Hayley Atwell, Captain America: The First Avenger
4. January Jones, X-Men: First Class
5. Chloe Grace Mortez, Dark Shadows
6. Jennifer Lawrence, X-Men: First Class

GENE RODDENBERRY AWARD
1. Edgar Rice Burroughs
2. Robert E. Howard
3. Fritz Leiber
4. H. P. Lovecraft
5. Karl Edward Wagner
6. Jack Kirby

ROD SERLING AWARD
1. Dark Shadows (original)
2. The X-Files
3. Twin Peaks
4. Superman
5. Batman
6. Farscape

For more information on the Portal Awards (including how to help decide them yourself), look here:

http://www.genrenexus.com/community/viewforum.php?f=112
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1759 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2012 :  14:13:52  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My mistake. The link in the previous post is incorrect. Visit Airlock Alpha here:

http://airlockalpha.com/
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1759 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2012 :  02:57:18  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blogger Larry Gent interviewed me:

http://42webs.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/panic-view-richard-lee-byers/
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1759 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2012 :  20:55:47  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you're a Floridian, you might be interested in this. I will be at the Oasis 25 SF convention in Orlando this weekend (Saturday and Sunday only.) More info here:

http://oasfis.org/oasis/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29706 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2012 :  21:36:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you're a Floridian, you might be interested in this. I will be at the Oasis 25 SF convention in Orlando this weekend (Saturday and Sunday only.) More info here:

http://oasfis.org/oasis/index.php

I'm going to be in Orlando this weekend, myself, but I've got other commitments.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1759 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2012 :  22:40:04  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My June column, which is about DC making Alan Scott/Green Lantern gay, is up at Airlock Alpha.

http://airlockalpha.com/node/9197/astrojive-yes-but-not-the-green-lantern-youre-thinking-of.html
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2012 :  00:25:02  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My June column, which is about DC making Alan Scott/Green Lantern gay, is up at Airlock Alpha.

http://airlockalpha.com/node/9197/astrojive-yes-but-not-the-green-lantern-youre-thinking-of.html

Why do they have to retcon/reboot so much? Dang!

Visit my Blog Page to find things for YOUR Forgotten Realms!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2012 :  00:36:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Interesting read, Richard.

About this:

"Thus, if DC is ever going to have a LGBT character with the star power of Green Lantern, Batman or Superman, they won’t accomplish this by tinkering with an existing character. They’ll have to create a new one, and then the new hero will have to take off in a big way."

Well, I haven't heard of him until now. So he's new to me.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2012 :  03:11:50  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You haven't heard of Green Lantern?

Visit my Blog Page to find things for YOUR Forgotten Realms!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2012 :  03:20:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I meant Alan Scott.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2012 :  03:44:53  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I meant Alan Scott.

Alan Scott was the original Golden Age Green Lantern, though he wasn't, and still largely isn't, actually a Green Lantern in the same respect as Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Guy Gardner, or Kyle Rayner. The original Green Lantern's powers and abilities were, and still remain, somewhat different.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 67 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000