Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  02:32:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same here. You were the definition of the perfect gentleman (aside from the 'do the dishes' comment LOL).

BTW, I was the guy who profusely apologized for having accidentally interrupting you (and I still feel bad about it). Really enjoyed talking to you and looking forward to the novel series.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  12:27:01  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Markustay: Please forget all about it. I know you didn't mean to do it. Anyway, I enjoyed talking to you, too, and I'm glad you're looking forward to the books.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2012 :  20:42:52  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check out the cover of Blind God's Bluff, my forthcoming urban fantasy novel. I like this painting a lot. It reminds me of the covers of private-eye and spy paperbacks I read when I was a teenager, and that vibe is quite appropriate for the story.

http://www.amazon.com/Blind-Gods-Bluff-Billy-Novels/dp/1597804436/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345750446&sr=8-1&keywords=blind+god%27s+bluff
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2012 :  17:54:01  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man, I just got back from Gen Con, and I’m flying out to Chicon 7 (the World Science Fiction Convention) in five days. Amazing how easy it is to persuade myself the intervening time is too short to make it worthwhile to buckle down and try to be productive. Anyway, for those who are interested, here’s my Chicon panel schedule:

The Best Vampire Novel of the Century

Time: Friday noon

Place: Wrigley

Other participants: James S. Dorr, Kenneth Hite.

We’ll be debating the best vampire novel of the hundred-year period defined by Bram Stoker’s death in 1912 to the present. Spoiler alert: I will not be pushing Twilight.

Media Tie-In Novels: Art of Commerce?

Time: Saturday 10:30 AM

Place: Columbus AB

Other participants: Matt Forbeck, Tom Dowd, Joe Haldeman (in Chicago), and Peter David, David Gerrold, Michael Stackpole (in Atlanta.)

This should be interesting, a panel spanning Chicon and DragonCon via teleconferencing. Let’s hope the technology works. I’m optimistic. There are several panels of this type running before mine, so the tech wizards will have had time to get the bugs out.

What Every Pro Should Know About Fandom

Time: Saturday 1:30 PM

Place: Field

Other participants: Janice Gelb, Andrew Porter, Lee Martindale, Michael J. Lowery.

There Will Be Blood—But How Much is Too Much?

Time: Sunday noon

Place: Columbus KL

Other participants: Warren Hammond, Paul Dale Anderson, Betsy Dornbusch, Tim Waggoner.

Urban Fantasy Isn’t Just for Women

Time: Monday 9:00 AM

Place: McCormick

Other participants: Kat Richardson, Violette Milan.

Come watch me strain to resist the urge to act like a jerk and spend the whole panel relentless pimping my own forthcoming urban fantasy novel.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2012 :  20:55:41  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Happy Birthday, H. P. Lovecraft" is my August feature on Airlock Alpha. It includes my list of Lovecraftian movies worth seeing.

http://airlockalpha.com/node/9335/happy-birthday-h-p-lovecraft.html
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2012 :  10:19:40  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you considered submitting any of your short stories to one of the various fantasy/sci-fi/horror podcasts out there?

(Yes, I have an agenda influencing that question. )

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 26 Aug 2012 10:20:21
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2012 :  12:30:04  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've submitted a couple that were rejected. I'm certainly willing to try again but just haven't gotten around to it.

What's the agenda?
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2012 :  13:33:43  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's very sinister.

To get to hear some of them.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2012 :  14:26:26  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you any interest in eBooks, this might tide you over until some of them turn into podcasts someday. The same collection is available in the iTunes store, the Barnes & Noble site, and Smashwords. And for $.99, you can't go TOO far wrong.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Word-Other-Stories-ebook/dp/B00501N49S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345987416&sr=8-1&keywords=the+q+word+and+other+stories
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2012 :  16:16:33  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
$0.99 is very good. Gonna have to get a tablet some day soon.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  17:12:00  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you want to read my forthcoming urban fantasy novel Blind God's Bluff? Naturally, I hope so, and if you do, you may be interested in this. The book lists for $14.99. But if you pre-order it now, Amazon will let you have it for a paltry $9.99. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Blind-Gods-Bluff-Billy-Novels/dp/1597804436/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346861033&sr=8-1&keywords=blind+god%27s+bluff
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  18:19:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Do you want to read my forthcoming urban fantasy novel Blind God's Bluff? Naturally, I hope so, and if you do, you may be interested in this. The book lists for $14.99. But if you pre-order it now, Amazon will let you have it for a paltry $9.99. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Blind-Gods-Bluff-Billy-Novels/dp/1597804436/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346861033&sr=8-1&keywords=blind+god%27s+bluff

Thanks for the heads-up. I've placed my pre-order.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  21:09:23  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hope you enjoy it.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  01:53:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooo! Byers'-brand urban fantasy?

I'm in!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  02:42:36  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear it, Sage.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  02:20:49  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am the Adult Featured Fencer on my salle's website this month. If you'd like to check out the profile, here's the link:

http://www.tampabayfencing.com/featured-fencer/adult/
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2012 :  03:43:14  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just found out that Called to Darkness, my first Pathfinder novel, is available for pre-order on Amazon. Weirdly, it's shown with a different cover than it's actually going to have. The cover art on display is good, but the real cover is going to be even cooler. Anyway, here's the link for anyone who cares to check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Pathfinder-Tales-Richard-Lee-Byers/dp/1601254652/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1347935688&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Pathfinder+Tales%3A+Called+to+Darkness
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2012 :  07:17:17  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amazon's getting kind of notorious for grabbing the mock-up covers Paizo uses for not-yet-ready-for-the-printer products and sticking with them even long after the actual one has been revealed.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2012 :  09:03:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just found out that Called to Darkness, my first Pathfinder novel, is available for pre-order on Amazon. Weirdly, it's shown with a different cover than it's actually going to have. The cover art on display is good, but the real cover is going to be even cooler. Anyway, here's the link for anyone who cares to check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Pathfinder-Tales-Richard-Lee-Byers/dp/1601254652/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1347935688&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Pathfinder+Tales%3A+Called+to+Darkness

This news has really made my day. Thanks Richard!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2012 :  15:50:57  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard, I saw this from you in another scroll....

"jornan: Unfortunately, WotC doesn't seem to be interested in doing anthologies that tie in to the big trilogies and such anymore. And as you note, I'm the guy who got drafted at the eleventh hour to write Queen of the Depths, and that's why it links to Year of Rogue Dragons."

Is this you reading between the lines...a gut feeling or something that has been communicated or discussed with writers?

Thanks!

I've enjoyed the realms anthologies, every one has many of my favorite Realms tales. I hope they continue.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2012 :  16:43:02  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Red Walker: It's just me reading between the lines, but it seems pretty clear. There just haven't been any anthologies lately.

Of course, that could change. WotC could decide the time is right to try putting out some new ones. My hunch is that's more likely to happen if the novels start selling better. So let's hope The Sundering proves to be a shot in the arm for the fiction line in general.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2012 :  21:11:45  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Red Walker: It's just me reading between the lines, but it seems pretty clear. There just haven't been any anthologies lately.

Of course, that could change. WotC could decide the time is right to try putting out some new ones. My hunch is that's more likely to happen if the novels start selling better. So let's hope The Sundering proves to be a shot in the arm for the fiction line in general.

thank Richard, I hope it picks back up also. As to that, Well I've bought three realms novels this last ten days....I'm doing my part

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2012 :  02:31:23  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A while back, my multitalented (writer and photographer) friend Tammy Kane interviewed me. For a time, the interview was not available, but now it is again. You can check it out here:

http://macabrecadaver.com/features/taxonomy/term/19
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2012 :  15:36:29  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many happy returns of the day, Richard!

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2012 :  19:37:16  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Hawkins! I appreciate it.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2012 :  20:47:25  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Professor X, RIP (Again)" is my new column on Airlock Alpha:

http://airlockalpha.com/node/9364/astrojive-professor-x-rip-again.html
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2012 :  01:45:20  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just signed a contract for the publication of a new story. That's always a good feeling. The story is a novelette set in the Pathfinder universe and a prequel to my first Pathfinder novel Called to Darkness, which comes out at the start of next year. The novelette's called "In Red Rune Canyon" and will run as a four-part serial on the Paizo.com website starting in the second half of November. You'll be able to read it for free there, so I hope everyone will check it out.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2012 :  15:48:24  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In honor of Halloween, I wrote a poem about a certain sub-genre of horror movies I may have watched way too many of. Check it out:

http://rleebyers.livejournal.com
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2012 :  20:58:16  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And for anyone who want to see the real cover art (by Slovakian artist Michael Ivan), they can go here.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2012 :  23:18:50  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Kajehase! I did not know that.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000