Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  02:38:10  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats awesome Richard. I remember reading the beginning of Unholy, and reading about the book and what Szass Tam was attempting to do, and was just like... wow. Awesome. Then there was the pact with Bane etc... that book concluded that trilogy so well. What about the Dread Rings? Salvatore used them in Gauntlgrym... were Szass' dread rings mentioned before The Haunted Lands?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  04:30:10  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sandstorm: Glad you liked it. I made up the Dread Rings. If you think about it, there's no point to them except in the context of the great ritual.

dennis: You are absolutely right that, with WotC's approval, any writer was free to resurrect Pharaun, and if I seemed to imply that I think otherwise, I didn't mean to. It's just that. since I did create the guy, I figured that if anybody ever brought him back, it would be me. Obviously, that's not the way it worked out, and that's okay. He's a tough character to plot for anyway, at least if you're depicting him as I think he ought to be depicted, and I've moved on to other protagonists.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  04:43:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandstorm

What about the Dread Rings? Salvatore used them in Gauntlgrym... were Szass' dread rings mentioned before The Haunted Lands?

'Used' as in someone attempted the ritutal? Or 'used' as in 'mentioned in passing,' in reference to something - like how the Fall of Netheril is mentioned in several novels?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  05:23:44  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, have you not read Gauntlgrym yet Dennis? Sorry... dont read this if you dont want it ruined then. But if youre not going to read it, then I'll tell you that Salvatore had one being created on the Sword Coast "in" the city of never winter. That must have actually made you quite pumped Richard, that Bob would use your creation in such a big novel.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  06:07:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No plan of reading it. I'm not a Dritzz fan. Never was. Anyway, does Bob's Dread Ring have the same purpose as Richard's? If not, I say the similarity of name is just coincidental. Besides, you mentioned there's only one. The ritual won't be completed at all unless all the Dread Rings are erected.

Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  06:46:39  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it just talks about how this one wizard has come to the east to create a dread ring. it is apaprent that it is for Szass Tam's plan

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  07:21:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sandstorm: Szass Tam is the primary antagonist in that trilogy? If so, I might reconsider my decision...

Richard: Pharaun's resurrection is a bit understandable, as there are SIX of you who used him in the entire series. Unlike Bareris... Since only you used him, and given that you said you don't have current plans of bringing him back, the possibility of seeing him again in future – however distant – novels is pretty much slim.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  08:03:35  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Yep, Whisper of Venom is due out November 2nd. Meanwhile, anyone who's jonesing for a dose of my work should check out the Paizo site. I have a four-part Pathfinder novelette going up there. Chapter One will appear tomorrow, I think.

Lord of Penance

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  14:04:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

Yep, Whisper of Venom is due out November 2nd. Meanwhile, anyone who's jonesing for a dose of my work should check out the Paizo site. I have a four-part Pathfinder novelette going up there. Chapter One will appear tomorrow, I think.

Lord of Penance

I'll try to find time for it later. Perhaps when I'm done strolling the web and reading Hero. Thanks for the link.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2010 :  22:31:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Richard: Quick question: Do most of the events in Whisper of Venom happen STILL in Chessenta?

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  00:02:35  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Whisper of Venom takes place in Chessenta, Threskel, Tymanther, and on Black Ash Plain.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  00:39:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. Unfortunately, I still have to wait a month or so. That's what our bookstores promised. Anyway, are any of your future novels going to be published hardbound? I really wish so.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2010 :  02:42:42  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are no current plans for any hardcovers. It all comes down to whether WotC thinks there's a market for them. If my next few Realms novels sell like Bob Salvatore's novels, then they might consider it.
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  05:01:42  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Richard, me and a few guys from this site are gonna be doing an online 3.5er. I know youre a fan of DnD ;) we could use a creative mind :)
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  05:20:46  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sandstorm, I'm grateful for the invitation. But I'm really busy right now, and I don't expect that to change any time in the next several months. I don't want to join an online game and then be the jerk who slows everything down because he doesn't make his moves promptly.
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  05:22:48  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All good Richard. I could tell from reading The Year of Rogue Dragons that you were a player though :P whats your fav race/class to play?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  20:33:36  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I used to like wizards, but now I'm more into any class that gets in close and mixes it up hand to hand. I suppose my favorite race is human, although I've had a lot of fun running a couple dwarves over the past couple years.
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  20:36:17  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lately I've taken a liking to dwarves, though I always DM with my group and get to run everything, NPC dwarves have been coming around quite often. Though my long standing favorite has to be the halfling. The first novel i wrote had a trio of halflings including a halfling ranger/barbarian, a halfling wand duelist and a halfling rogue. They were SO fun!
Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2010 :  20:26:36  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard, a favorite character of mine was Taegan Nightwind. Any hints as to what his fate was after the spellplague? Is he still around? If so, will we ever get to see him in a novel again? Thanks!

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2010 :  21:11:27  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, SLD. I'm glad you liked Taegan. He's a favorite of mine, too.

Obviously, given the longevity of an elf, there's no reason he couldn't be alive somewhere in the contemporary Realms, and I'd be happy to bring him back onstage someday. But there are no immediate plans.
Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2010 :  23:22:36  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi, SLD. I'm glad you liked Taegan. He's a favorite of mine, too.

Obviously, given the longevity of an elf, there's no reason he couldn't be alive somewhere in the contemporary Realms, and I'd be happy to bring him back onstage someday. But there are no immediate plans.

Thanks Richard!

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  04:45:28  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, VERY well done bard. Or Song blade or whatever he was. I remember loving the fight you did with him and the undead drake in the woods, or ruins of some sort with the Pseudodrake. Wow, that was a while ago, I'm sure I'm getting some of this wrong.

Oh and I had incorporated Scattercloak into my last campaign I did. Was Scattercloak an original character Richard? And how did you come up with his concept. I remember my buddy Mike had found the spell that you used to cloak his face, though i forget what its called. Shadowmask or something like that?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  05:52:41  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As I recall, Scattercloak is one of those characters who is mentioned in one gaming sourcebooks or another, but not explored in much detail. Characters like that work really well for shared-world novelists. They give you the chance to plug right in to an aspect of the shared world, but still make the character pretty much what you would like him to be without running afoul of what someone else did before you.
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  06:09:51  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ya, you need those little tie-ins. Like Salvatore using your dread rings in Gauntlgrym ;) You had said that you created them for storyline purpose as part of a ritual, but that you dont even know yourself what their full design is, and then BAM, he incorporates it briefly into his design. If an author wanted to write a novel that encompassed one more fully, they have the grounds already laid out there for them. That's what I love about reading REalms novels. The continuation. . . I also love reading something in one book and being able to reflect on where I've heard that character mentioned before, or "I've been to this city already, I know what it's like here."

I was reading Lisa Smedman's "House of Serpents" last night, in which a wizard named Hazzam takes a pearl, crumbles it up into a glass of wine, stirs it with a feather and drinks it before attempting to observe a foreign potion. I quickly threw aside my blanket, walked into my living room, grabbed by players handbook, flipped to the spell list, looked under 'Identify', and BAM. Material spell components: A pearl worth at least 100gp, a glass of wine and an owls feather.

That made me happy :)
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  16:18:00  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Part Two of my free four-part Pathfinder novelette is now available for your perusal.

http://paizo.com/pathfinder/tales/serial
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  14:18:26  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part Three is up.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  18:16:30  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The final chapter of my first Pathfinder story is now up. So please check it out. It's free and everything.

http://paizo.com/pathfinder/tales/serial
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  20:30:11  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Richard - the links above are all the same and always point to the most recent part (Chapter 4).

Could anyone post links for each of the four parts? I don't want to start reading at the final chapter.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2010 :  23:44:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Sorry Richard - the links above are all the same and always point to the most recent part (Chapter 4).

Could anyone post links for each of the four parts? I don't want to start reading at the final chapter.

Arik, you have to scroll down to the previous parts -- as that link contains all four parts of Richard's tale.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2010 :  00:03:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My mistake! I'd thought it was all one text and didn't want to "spoil" it. I was only looking for links.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000