Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Reader
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  16:38:29  Show Profile  Visit Reader's Homepage Send Reader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to say thank you. The Rogue Dragons trilogy was great, especially the Ruin. I really really liked it!!

I would love to read more about Sam, and a Sam vs Pharaun would be truly amazing!
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  16:57:52  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you enjoyed it, Reader.
Go to Top of Page

Inquisitor
Acolyte

Germany
42 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  18:30:55  Show Profile  Visit Inquisitor's Homepage Send Inquisitor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another question about the ruin. How Dorn was "defeated" was certainly very unique. Had you planned to do this to him from teh beginning or did you had the idea when collecting material for the Ruin?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  20:01:59  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That was planned from the beginning.
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2006 :  19:57:25  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Several questions, Richard:
1. In your next trilogy, any chance of Brimstone factoring? That is one cool Drake.

2. In the short story 'Traitors' who was telling the truth about why Winterflower was bedding Orchtrien? Did he charm her, did she seduce him or was it open intentionally?

Also, gotta say...I couldn't help but feel a bit sorry for Sam
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2006 :  21:20:45  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ethriel: Hope to bring back Brimstone someday, but maybe not in the next trilogy. He didn't show up in Book One, anyway, and at present, I don't see a good way to fit him into Two and/or Three. But you never know what'll occur to you as you write.
Winterflower seduced Orchtrien, not that he really needed seducing. But anyway, Orch definitely did not throw any sort of charm mojo on her.
I felt a bit sorry for Sam myself. It's funny, if I do any scenes at all from the villain's point of view (and in a long story, I nearly always do), then I come to sympathize with him and mourn his downfall, even though, at the same time, I'm rejoicing with the heroes over their victory. It's all a tad schizophrenic, I suppose, but I bet many writers would tell you the same. We get to like all our characters, even the black hats.
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2006 :  23:43:39  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Richard.

Man, that makes me feel even worse...guy just kept getting backstabbed (No pun intended)

And yeah, I feel bad for Sam, too...his comment about just wanting to create a better world. Did he serve a God when he died or is he bound for the false and faithless? Poor guy obviously had mentla issues and never got the proper help

Also, just a few other questions;
1. What ever happened to Winterflower or Orchtrien's son after Orch's fall? I hope Winterflower managed to do well for herself.

2. If Sam or Pharaun ever came back, think you'd write about them? You did an awesome job on Sam and you and Thomas did a perfect Pharaun...hope he comes back.

3. What's the status on the Cult of the Dragon now? Did the angry dragons just wipe it out?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  06:05:20  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1. Winterflower participated in the effort to create the Rage. Orchtrien's son was caught up in the chaos when the Rage erupted, but to what end, I haven't bothered to decide. Who knows, maybe I'll tell that story someday.
2. I hope that if Sammaster or Pharaun ever come back, it'll be me writing the story. I feel that way particularly about Pharaun, since I created the guy. But Wizards owns the characters, so it would be up to them.
3.The angry dragons didn't completely destroy the Cult of the Dragon, but they damaged it severely.
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  16:20:57  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, how do you feel about how Pharaun went out? A lot of people think it wasn't well done and quite out of character.

Any details you can share about the Haunted Land trilogy btw?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  17:52:40  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I'm going to have to decline to answer the question about Pharaun's demise. I just don't care to get into discussions like that. I won't do it even in situations where I have nothing but praise to offer. Because if I dish up praise one time, and then the next time, I stay mute, you can infer that in the second case, I wasn't thrilled. And I don't want to get into knocking other writers. I'm not suggesting than fans ought not to express their opinions, but I'd rather not relate to colleagues in that way.
The Haunted Land is set in Thay and will showcase the undead in kinda sorta but not really the same way Year of Rogue Dragons featured dragons.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  17:58:03  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mean all of the undead all over Faerun aren't going to go insane and start attacking across the board? Given the amount of damage I'm sure the dragons caused, I imagine that the Realms can breathe a collective sigh of releif if not all of the restless dead all of the sudden decide to make a concerted move against the living.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  18:54:04  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Alas, the same writer can't Shake all the Realms every time he bangs out a book. Although maybe I can make them quiver a little around the edges...
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2006 :  22:51:34  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, perhaps we'll see Szass Tam ten? Mayhaps he'll go the way of Sammy
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2006 :  14:33:33  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Szass Tam might drift through at some point.
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  09:52:38  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just managed to complete the Ruin and loved it. Things concluded nicely with few tips for the future. Story became more interesting the further I got, starting from the first novel. Hopefully you can reveal someday how Dorn's&Kara's relationship evolves and how Dorn recovers from the loss of his armor&limbs. Looking forward to the Undead Trilogy, keep up the good work.

"Death to the enemies of Bane."
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2006 :  14:53:08  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked it, Lauzoril.
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  17:22:51  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How could someone with only one leg and one arm run around on a ground full of Dragonbones and hack at dragons?
Last year I had to rest my leg for 3 month. There was no way to run (jump) around and do sports for example. With one leg your balance is super worse.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  18:59:17  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
His arm disintegrates completely. His leg doesn't. It just gets damaged, and then his buddy pumps him up with magic to improve his natural balance and coordination, which partly compensates for the damage.
He's also got that total-desperation, total-commitment adrenaline thing happening.
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  17:20:48  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

His arm disintegrates completely. His leg doesn't. It just gets damaged, and then his buddy pumps him up with magic to improve his natural balance and coordination, which partly compensates for the damage.
He's also got that total-desperation, total-commitment adrenaline thing happening.

Aaah yes, Raryn spoke the spell, now I remember *g*
And adrenaline did the rest, that sounds good to me.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  14:57:18  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gen Con Indy is nearly upon us, and I notice I'm scheduled to do a reading. If any of your are planning to come hear me, I'm interested to hear your suggestions as to what I ought to read.
To my mind, the obvious choice is the opening of my 2007 FR novel. Or the opening of the Warhammer novel I'm currently wriiting. But a short story might be more satisfying for the audience, since you'd be getting the complete tale.
Let me know if you think you might show up and you've got a preference.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  16:23:41  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Gen Con Indy is nearly upon us, and I notice I'm scheduled to do a reading. If any of your are planning to come hear me, I'm interested to hear your suggestions as to what I ought to read.
To my mind, the obvious choice is the opening of my 2007 FR novel. Or the opening of the Warhammer novel I'm currently wriiting. But a short story might be more satisfying for the audience, since you'd be getting the complete tale.
Let me know if you think you might show up and you've got a preference.

I'd like to hear the opening to the new FR novel. :) BTW, what day/time is the reading? I'm asking so I can update my Gencon thread with it.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  21:18:41  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm scheduled to read at 4pm Thursday. I'm sharing the hour time-slot with Chris Pierson. Which one of us will go on first, I don't know and probably won't until we talk that day. But Chris is good, so if you happen to think I am too, you won't go wrong by showing up at 4.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2006 :  21:56:45  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm scheduled to read at 4pm Thursday. I'm sharing the hour time-slot with Chris Pierson. Which one of us will go on first, I don't know and probably won't until we talk that day. But Chris is good, so if you happen to think I am too, you won't go wrong by showing up at 4.

Cool beans. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

TwigB
Acolyte

South Africa
46 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  17:40:58  Show Profile Send TwigB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for this excellent trilogy Mr. Byers, I just finished the Ruin and it lived up to my epic expectations. Nice to see someone lighting a flame underneath all the realm's peace and tranquility :) Thank you. One question though...

*Spoiler Question Ahead*

What was that spell that Zethrindor cast to destroy Iryaclea (excuse the probable miss-spell). The concept behind it was really cool, and it got me paging through all my game material. Was it an actual spell or a new creation, if it was a new creation, Wow!, if not, the description was enough to warrant a re-print of that spell :)
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2006 :  19:07:48  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked it, Twig.
I guess you could say that in a way, it was a new spell, but essemtially, it was Disintegrate tricked out with some incidental special effects. The special effects served two purposes. One was to give me something more spectacular to describe than just: The spell is cast and poof! The target's not there anymore. The other was to mess up the stones in the plaza, as the plot needed them messed up.
Go to Top of Page

TwigB
Acolyte

South Africa
46 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2006 :  20:44:35  Show Profile Send TwigB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your reply Mr. Byers. Good spell...Great description! Looking forward to your next trilogy with itchy readers fingers :)
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  00:06:18  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quick question: How did you discribe the breath weapon of a Song Dragon?

Thanks.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  05:28:25  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If memory serves, Monsters of Faerun describes it as electrically charged vapor and that's how I described it also, except in more fantasy-ish language.
Go to Top of Page

turox
Learned Scribe

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2006 :  18:24:20  Show Profile  Visit turox's Homepage Send turox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Mr. Byers, I just finished reading the Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy and just wanted to let you know that it was a awesome series! I always like reading things that have to do with Dragons. I anxiously await your next series of FR books. Keep up the good work.

I also hope that in the near future we will get to read/hear more about my favorite character Brimstone.

Thanks again!

Turox Antas Dragonslayer -
"People will believe anything they want to believe, or fear to believe."
Wizard's First Rule: Chapter 36, Page #397, US Hard Cover (revealed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander).
Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2006 :  19:27:45  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you enjoyed it, turox.
I hope to revisit Brimstone eventually, but I'm not sure how soon. There doesn't seem to be a part for him in the trilogy I'm currently writing, but maybe I can use him in whatever I crank out after that.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000