Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 67

Faraer
Great Reader

3291 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  20:39:28  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Vengeance
1) Strange that wryms of both metal and non-metal wrym variety value treasure hoards more than anything, how is it that they so covet such treasure like dwarves when they had no needs to spend the treasure on.
In the Anglo-Saxon tradition, at least, hoarding treasure is the single main attribute of dragons. It represents a monstrous interruption of the natural cycles of life.
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Learned Scribe

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2005 :  21:19:34  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage  Send The Twin Scimitars an AOL message Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr.Byers did you think up Phauran Mizzrym for Dissolution because if you did I want you to know hes my favorite character in all of the Forgotten Realms.

Endure, in enduring we grow strong.
-Dak'kon, Planescape Torment
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2005 :  16:13:12  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, basically, I created Pharaun. The master outline for the series (created in committee) stipulated that one of the important characters would be a Master of Sorcere, but contained no details about what sort of person he would be. I had to supply all of that.
Anyway, thanks for the kind words. Glad you like him.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2005 :  23:06:13  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage  Click to see Lord Rad's MSN Messenger address Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Yep, basically, I created Pharaun. The master outline for the series (created in committee) stipulated that one of the important characters would be a Master of Sorcere, but contained no details about what sort of person he would be. I had to supply all of that.
Anyway, thanks for the kind words. Glad you like him.

Richard, did you have any discussions with Paul Kemp about Pharaun's fate? And how did you feel about his demise being as you created the character? Personally, I think Paul did the right thing, and as much as I loved Pharaun, I thought it was a suitable end, a sad ending to a great character and a great series. Beautiful!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2005 :  19:03:52  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paul and I didn't discuss Pharaun's demise, and as far as I'm concerned, that's perfectly okay. It was Paul's book to write, and he needed control of his materials, including the characters.
I was surprised that Pharaun died, since in the original series outline created way back when, he survived. And I admit, since I was fond of the guy, I kind of regret his passing. But characters prosper or suffer, live or die, in the service of the story. If telling the strongest possible story requires that a particular character kick the oxygen habit, then kick it he should, no matter how cool he is.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1071 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2005 :  14:01:56  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage  Click to see khorne's MSN Messenger address Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was it you who created Ryld? If so, what do you think of his fight against Jeggred in book 5? After all, Rylds performance there was completely sub-standard to what he did in book 1.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2005 :  14:51:30  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did create Ryld.
I don't have a problem with his demise. He was supposed to be a supremely able fighter, but the same is true of Jeggred, who had the advantage of being a monster to boot. You put two such opponents together and it's hard to preduct who'll win. It can come down to who's having a good day and who's having a bad one, who's the first to perceive a weakness in the other guy's defense, or pure luck.
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Learned Scribe

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  01:29:03  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage  Send The Twin Scimitars an AOL message Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No.No!!!!!!!!!!!I still have yet to read book 5 and 6!Yall just ruined for it me! If anyone should die it should be Quenthel cause shes a real b****. Could yall please not say anything more of the storyline for my sake!

Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  02:38:47  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's the trouble I seemed to be having. Everytime I visit a author question thread, a lot of times I happen upon unmark spoilers. I stumbled upon the Ryld part in a spoiler thread so I found it my fault. But the Pharaun and Jeggred death I stumbled by reading Mr. Kemp's question thread in the Rasalvatore forums. It really pissed me off that stuff like that happens and people not really marking their spoilers.

As I was saying, the spoiler thread I don't mind, but it would really help me, since most FR books only release 3-6 months after the original release date if spoilers were marked in those non-spoiler threads like the Ask Authors and general threads.

EDIT: To make matters worse (I'm not singling out a single poster here) this is a thread of an author who I've finished almost all his books and expect questions to be about them and not WotSQ book 5-6 which I haven't read. I was pleasantly surprised to see one spoiler here but fortunately I already know about it.

Edited by - Paec_djinn on 25 Aug 2005 02:41:29
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  02:39:56  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My apologies, Twin Scimitars. I've been forgetting about spoiler warnings of late, but we really should use them.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1071 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  10:18:17  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage  Click to see khorne's MSN Messenger address Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Twin Scimitars

No.No!!!!!!!!!!!I still have yet to read book 5 and 6!Yall just ruined for it me! If anyone should die it should be Quenthel cause shes a real b****. Could yall please not say anything more of the storyline for my sake!

I`m sorry(bows head in shame)

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Learned Scribe

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  02:15:37  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage  Send The Twin Scimitars an AOL message Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The shock and saddness of my favorite character dying is...unmesurable. But Iam getting book 5 tommorow and I just finished Shadow Stone which is an amazing book.

Edited by - The Twin Scimitars on 26 Aug 2005 02:16:36
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1278 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  02:44:57  Show Profile  Visit Mournblade's Homepage  Send Mournblade an AOL message  Click to see Mournblade's MSN Messenger address  Send Mournblade a Yahoo! Message Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THE only dissapointment I had was I wanted PHARAUN to FLAY Jeggred. I loved when Jeggred got put in his place.. but I really wish they could of shown Pharaun ending the deal.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Learned Scribe

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  03:26:11  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage  Send The Twin Scimitars an AOL message Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Im reading book 5 now and today came with some good news Hurricane Katrina is heading right toward mt city(Mobile) and they say its gonna be a major hurricane. So wish me luck! I might not post for a couple of weeks after Monday since thats when its supossed to hit and power will be out for a while.

And how many copies of WotSQ series have sold so far?

Edited by - The Twin Scimitars on 27 Aug 2005 04:06:56
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  04:10:33  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good luck with Katrina, TS. Living in Florida, I had plenty of opportunity last year to find out just how inconvenient hurricanes can be.
War of the Spider Queen has sold a lot of copies.
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Learned Scribe

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  04:30:45  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage  Send The Twin Scimitars an AOL message Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First Ivan, then Dennis, and now...Katrina. Its supposed to go up Alabama-Mississpi line. Fredrick went that way and wiped out Mobile in 1979. So I guess Im in for it a third time.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29649 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  06:27:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Good luck with Katrina, TS. Living in Florida, I had plenty of opportunity last year to find out just how inconvenient hurricanes can be.
War of the Spider Queen has sold a lot of copies.

Ditto that. I caught a piece of Charlie as it crossed the state. We got nailed by Francis... When Ivan broke up, part of it came down here and dumped a lot of rain on us -- the rest went back into the Gulf, reformed, and headed to Texas. And then, three weeks after Francis, Jeanne came in and nailed us. Between the two that hit us, I was without power for about a week and a half.

I just picked up book 5 a week or two ago. I'm waiting for all 6 to be in paperback before I read them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Learned Scribe

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  18:13:08  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage  Send The Twin Scimitars an AOL message Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the fourth day the powers been out and all cities on the coast west of me are either destroyed or very close to it. Thousands are predicted dead in New Orleans and my city has been devestated.

So anyway are you working on any other FR novels?

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  18:51:02  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TS: Very sorry to hear your town was hit so hard.
Yes, I am working on a big new FR project, but I can't discuss the content yet. Sorry about that.
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Learned Scribe

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  19:43:05  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage  Send The Twin Scimitars an AOL message Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When is this this big project supposed to be out?

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  21:50:14  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't know the scheduling yet. Not before 1/07, anyway.
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Learned Scribe

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  22:51:44  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage  Send The Twin Scimitars an AOL message Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I cant wait! And my power just came on! Its a happy day!

Go to Top of Page

Carion Hunter
Seeker

23 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  13:25:30  Show Profile  Visit Carion Hunter's Homepage Send Carion Hunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, I have enjoyed reading your works especially Book 1 and 2 of the Year of rogue dragons as well as the Queen of the Depths, and in the book 2 of the Year of rogue dragons, I was particularly interested about King Gareth and his group who fought the Witch-King, so can I ask will there be anything such as novels being written on this heroic king and his group before this Gareth became king?

Wanna throw me out? You gotta think thrice about that.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29649 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  17:22:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carion Hunter

I was particularly interested about King Gareth and his group who fought the Witch-King, so can I ask will there be anything such as novels being written on this heroic king and his group before this Gareth became king?

It's doubtful. Fiction in the Realms usually moves forward, and events in the past are rarely covered.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1758 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  19:15:57  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wooly's right, although there are exceptions. In any case, I have no current plans to write about Gareth's early days. It's conceivable that some other novelist does, but if so, I haven't heard about it.
If I'm not mistaken, these adventures were actually covered in some early FR adventure modules, where the players took the roles of Gareth and his buddies. Perhaps someone else can tell us for sure if I'm right or wrong.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 67 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000