Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 68

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1776 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2004 :  18:03:32  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the hope that somebody's interested, I thought I'd post the teaser-page copy from The Rite. Seems like it's getting to be about time to try and promote the book a little. Here goes:

YOU HAVE TO FIGHT BETTER

We'll teach you where to hit them to do the most damage, and how to tell when they're getting ready to breathe or spin around, when to get in close, and when to get away. You'll slow the dragons down, and spill more of their blood than you would otherwise. That's all we can promise.

You have to give them the walls and courtyards, and fight on inside your great keep and the vaults beneath. Make the dragons fight us on foot, at close range, on ground we know better than they do. Set traps and ambuscades. That way, we can hold them back for a long time.

Keep fighting outdoors, and we won't last another tenday.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5586 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2004 :  19:48:43  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Richard

Thank ye greatly for posting this information up Oh, and there are MANY, MANY scribes herein interested in this and indeed the whole trilogy. I'm anxiously awaiting the release of the novel, as the events of The Rage stick in my mind so vividly from all that I have read this year.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Inquisitor
Seeker

Germany
42 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2004 :  22:42:11  Show Profile  Visit Inquisitor's Homepage Send Inquisitor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

You have to give them the walls and courtyards, and fight on inside your great keep and the vaults beneath. Make the dragons fight us on foot, at close range, on ground we know better than they do. Set traps and ambuscades. That way, we can hold them back for a long time.

Keep fighting outdoors, and we won't last another tenday.

I hope that this will be some very genius traps and ambushes.
I will certainly buy the next book in the series as the story is very interesting, I only hope that the fights got better (more dramatic, and maybe fewer so that dragons don't appear as cannon fodder like they sometimes do in The Rage).

Edited by - Alaundo on 09 Nov 2004 09:14:19
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2004 :  21:58:52  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In the hope that somebody's interested, I thought I'd post the teaser-page copy from The Rite. Seems like it's getting to be about time to try and promote the book a little.

Regarding the publicity theme, I saw the following in the new issue of Dragon:

A Novel Approach: The Rite

I can't recall you mentioning this before. Apologies if you have. But, what does this article detail?

Thanks in advance.

SB
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1776 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2004 :  03:57:30  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sirius: I thought I mentioned the article before, but really, who can remember? Anyway, it's D&D character stats for Dorn and Kara, together with some suggestions on how DMs can mine the Rogue Dragons trilogy for ideas to use in their campaigns.
I haven't seen the new issue yet, but I believe it also has my short story "The Silverfish," which tells the story of a turning point in Pavel's youth. If that story isn't in the new issue, it should be appearing soon.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2004 :  04:02:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

In the hope that somebody's interested, I thought I'd post the teaser-page copy from The Rite. Seems like it's getting to be about time to try and promote the book a little.

Regarding the publicity theme, I saw the following in the new issue of Dragon:

A Novel Approach: The Rite

I can't recall you mentioning this before. Apologies if you have. But, what does this article detail?

Thanks in advance.

SB

What issue # is the article in?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2004 :  16:05:41  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sirius: I thought I mentioned the article before, but really, who can remember?

I thought you had as well, but when I tried searching for it, no luck. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

I don't recall seeing the short story mentioned. Those who subscribe to the magazine will, hopefully, soon be able to confirm that it's in there.

And Dargoth, it's issue #326.
Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
136 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2004 :  18:25:39  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any chance of someone posting the class & levels from the article in 326. I'm subscribed to Dragon, but as an international subscriber i've been informed by Paizo that i can expect to wait 6 to 8 weeks for it to reach me. 6 to 8 weeks! I wish this was made apparent when i was subscribing or i never would have. So if i want to read the article I can buy it from a game store about an hours drive away (all copies are shrink wrapped, no browsing allowed ) but as i've already paid for it via sub, im not paying twice.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light

Edited by - Tamsar on 20 Nov 2004 18:27:03
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2004 :  08:07:10  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, Richard.

I've enjoyed all of your novels. Dissolution set down characters&events nicely and I was glad to see that the basic character style of Pharaun etc.. was carried onward in the series. The life of common folk was detailed nicely.
Only one question. What ultimately happened to the drow woman who got assaulted by kobolds at the end?

Black Bouquet had an interesting thief setting. I hope to see more of things like that.

Rage was most pleasing in the way you showed character types rarely seen, arctic dwarf and so. I'm eagerly waiting for the next book.
One question as well. Will the characters abilities&skills develop during the course of the trilogy, like Pavel getting to the next level and learning a new spell? I hope so, it would be nice to see them become more adept in combat.

One thing about Sembia series. Do we ever get to see what Shamur is doing after Thamalon's death? We've already seen few other character antics after the main series.

Thank you for your time.

"Death to the enemies of Bane."

Edited by - Lauzoril on 21 Nov 2004 08:12:45
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2004 :  16:01:18  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lauzoril
One thing about Sembia series. Do we ever get to see what Shamur is doing after Thamalon's death? We've already seen few other character antics after the main series.

Well, Paul Kemp did show her after Thamalon's death in the first quarter of his opening novel in the Cale series. Still, I definitely wouldn't mind a novel someday in the future focusing on Shamur once again.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2004 :  17:49:28  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage  Click to see DDH_101's MSN Messenger address Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lauzoril

Greetings, Richard.

I've enjoyed all of your novels. Dissolution set down characters&events nicely and I was glad to see that the basic character style of Pharaun etc.. was carried onward in the series. The life of common folk was detailed nicely.
Only one question. What ultimately happened to the drow woman who got assaulted by kobolds at the end?

Black Bouquet had an interesting thief setting. I hope to see more of things like that.

Rage was most pleasing in the way you showed character types rarely seen, arctic dwarf and so. I'm eagerly waiting for the next book.
One question as well. Will the characters abilities&skills develop during the course of the trilogy, like Pavel getting to the next level and learning a new spell? I hope so, it would be nice to see them become more adept in combat.

Thank you for your time.

Lauzoil, I think they captured and raped her. Most likely they kept her as a slave afterwards...

BTW, good luck trying to get answers from Richard Lee Byers. Lol. I've basically peppered him with questions in another forum about future books but he's just wouldn't break. The only thing I haven't done is put him on a torturing-rack and burned him with hot coals.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30412 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2004 :  19:42:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

BTW, good luck trying to get answers from Richard Lee Byers. Lol. I've basically peppered him with questions in another forum about future books but he's just wouldn't break. The only thing I haven't done is put him on a torturing-rack and burned him with hot coals.

Keep in mind that doing that to someone is generally not considered a friendly act.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2004 :  19:49:15  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage  Click to see DDH_101's MSN Messenger address Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but it's quite effective but I doubt Richard Lee Byers will still tell me anything about The Rite. Lol. Too bad, I guess I'll stick to the good ol' fashion nails and daggers...

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1776 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2004 :  22:46:04  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lauzoil: Thanks for the kind words.
My thought was that the kobolds killed the drow female in question. I guess they could have enslaved her, though.
As DDH observes, I'm not much inclined to give away stuff that happens in stories that haven't been released yet. I will say, though, that in my opinion, the notion of a character "going up a level" is one of those concepts that's more useful in gaming than in fiction. So I don't really have any desire to make a big point of showing it unless it serves the plot in some important way.
I would like to do another Shamur book, but there are no plans for one at present. I think that if happens at all, it won't be for at least a couple years. Currently, WotC's more interested in having me work with other characters and subject matter.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1776 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2004 :  13:28:45  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A heads up for those who care:
My FR short story "The Silverfish" (starring Pavel Shemov, one of the heroes from "The Year of Rogue Dragons") is in the new issue of Dragon (which is #327, I believe.)
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2004 :  23:31:15  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage  Send Lameth an ICQ Message Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thx for the info
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  23:09:18  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage  Click to see Lord Rad's MSN Messenger address Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Richard

Firstly, i'm currently reading The Rite (which i've posted a few comments on just here), and what an amazing book!!

I just wondered where (if anywhere) you obtained the information for the Monastery of the Yellow Rose? I haven't read much on this location but it's been an intriguing place for me in the Realms for a long time so it was a pleasure to read so much about it in your novel. Can you also provide any additional information on the place? (you must know it like the back of your hand by now ) I could really picture the place from the way you described the architecture and layout. Excellent!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1776 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  00:45:23  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lord Rad: The only info I could find on the Monastery of the Yellow Rose was in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and an older sourcebook called The Bloodstone Lands. And there wasn't a lot of it. So I took what there was as my jumping-off point and winged it from there. Pretty much everything I bothered to work out is right there in the novel, so unfortunately, I can't give you a bunch of extra facts.
Glad you're enjoying the book.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  10:34:22  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by norticus

Triel herself says "i didnt have to think about the subject, my advisors will take care of it."
she doesnt take and want any responsibilities
what a wonderful leader... :)

Triel was happy being the Matron-Mistress of the Academy, she had no ambitions to replace her mother. But once the old Matron Baenre died, who in their right mind would allow someone to take a position that is rightfully theirs? (especially in Drow society)

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  10:50:13  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard,
Sorry if this has been asked and answered already. Did wade through 80% of the posts before my eyes started to water.

Is there any special reason why the dragons in the Year of Rogue Dragons series don't have their elemental immunities? i.e. Gold Dragons being affected by Fire?

Thanks

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1776 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  14:40:07  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My rationalization is that golds would be resistant to flame, but that an extremely hot fire, like the breath of another gold or a red, might still injure them. In the real world, anything made of matter is suspceptible to damage by heat, if the heat is intense enough.
(You don't expect me to come right out and admit I screwed up even if I really did, do you?)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30412 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  15:00:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My rationalization is that golds would be resistant to flame, but that an extremely hot fire, like the breath of another gold or a red, might still injure them. In the real world, anything made of matter is suspceptible to damage by heat, if the heat is intense enough.
(You don't expect me to come right out and admit I screwed up even if I really did, do you?)

Actually, in most tales, dragons remain vulnerable to the breath weapons of their own kind, regardless of other immunities. So a red dragon may be quite comfortable in a volcano, but he'd still have to worry about being flamed by a gold or another red.

So no, it's not a screw-up.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 Jan 2005 15:05:19
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  16:08:54  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Byers.
I am a huge fan of your FR books. i bought the rage a week ago, and i thought it was awesome! i havent bought the rite just yet, but i`ll get there. i have a few questions:

Where did you gather all the information you needed on dragonlore? and how much of it did you come up with yourself? Could you do anything you wanted with the dragons? And the storyline? Or was there things that were planned in advance by others? Things you had to stick to?
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  19:01:12  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage  Click to see DDH_101's MSN Messenger address Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Byers, I have a question about Gareth Dragonsbane and his friends. You mentioned several characters in The Rite that the King of Damara had travelled with when he fought the Witch-King Zhengyi, such as Kane, the monk who used to run the Monastery of the Yellow Rose.

Where did you find this information about Gareth Dragonsbane and his companions and what made you decide to give them a big part in your book? The only place I saw that had a tiny bit of information was in FRCS, and that was really vague with no detailed lore.

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  20:09:15  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Mr. Byers, I have a question about Gareth Dragonsbane and his friends. You mentioned several characters in The Rite that the King of Damara had travelled with when he fought the Witch-King Zhengyi, such as Kane, the monk who used to run the Monastery of the Yellow Rose.

Where did you find this information about Gareth Dragonsbane and his companions and what made you decide to give them a big part in your book? The only place I saw that had a tiny bit of information was in FRCS, and that was really vague with no detailed lore.

The old Bloodstone series of modules (they were pregenerated characters, if I recall correctly) and also the Bloodstone Lands? region sourcebook from I think it was 2E.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 68  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000