Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Elven High Magic, Kiira, and other planes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2014 :  23:30:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Elven High Magic (and elven High Mages) and elven kiira lore-gems (all types) ...

Are these dependent upon Mystra‘s Weave? Do they continue to function on other worlds or other planes? Indeed, are any found on other worlds or other planes (and, if so, are they necessarily altered to conform with local conditions)?

[/Ayrik]

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2014 :  23:53:39  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given that in 3rd edition elven high magic just became "epic magic", I'd say that Elven High Mages work outside of the weave. Whether Kiira do or not, can't say with certainty, but I'd be inclined to believe they would work.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2385 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2014 :  00:03:25  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kiira are just advanced magic items, so presumably they need magic working and without too much quirks, that's all.
High Magic is supposed to depend on the vaunted Elven attunement to the Weave. If we'll look for more specific answers, The Complete Book of Elves said it takes 50 years to fully attune to a particular world. Which have other implications as well.
Thus, common sense says HM should work properly only on:
  • Prime worlds where Elven abilities and magic items work normally.
  • Out on the planes in domains of Elven deities.
  • Some demiplanes - mostly ones that were created by Elven spellcasters.
And when the spellcaster is attuned (for domains of Elven deities we can assume it to be instant and automatic, but nowhere else). Other than this, all bets are off.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2014 :  12:57:17  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so, that's somewhat your answer.... what edition? The 2nd edition version of High Magic and the 3rd edition version of High Magic are vastly different rulesets. You could put a ruling for 3e that if they go somewhere outside Mystra's weave, members of the prestige class could retain their ability bonuses after "attuning themselves to the new world".

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2014 :  23:34:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer AD&D2E, of course! Although, when lacking any preferred-edition rulings, I will often consider more-recent-edition details adequate. Kinda the opposite take on WotC‘s official policy of “newest canon is always the final word, regardless of anything that came before“.

Thank ye both for answering my query. I had half-hoped for some “official“ position about these matters, presumably from some sourcebook I don‘t possess, but it seems that I shall have pick-and-choose through some 3E chaff.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2014 :  23:07:50  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think there is an 'official' position on your query Ayrik (unless you're willing to Ask Ed). My stance is that the Weave exists, in one form or another, on all worlds/planes (the Realms just used the Weave as a model for understanding magic, kind of like different cultures had different ideas about how the planes 'fit' together).

I would rule that kiira and tel'kiira work beyond Realmspace without problem. Selu'kiira might be different becuase high magic is involved in their use and/or creation. I completely agree with TBeholder's position, btw, that a high mage would need to attune to a new world before his high magic would work. And I prefer the 2e system of magic over 3e (epic and otherwise).

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000