Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Giant demipowers in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2014 :  10:12:50  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Kind of as a follow up on my other thread, i'm in search of information on some more obscure and lesser powers of the giant pantheon in the Realms:
- Diancastra: i found her only in Monster Mythology, any other source on her somewhere? Is she in the Realms?
- Grond Peaksmasher: i found him in a old Polyhedron article, any other source on him? Any guess at who is his father?
- Karontor: he gets just a passing mention in Giantcraft and i found more on him in Monster Mythology, anywhere else i can look for informations about him?
- The 10 demigods brothers of Thrym: the only places i found them is in the various sources detailing Kostchtchie's realm, the 23rd Layer of the Abyss, where one (Grjotgard) of this 10 demigods is imprisoned, is there any other source on them? Are they at least listed somewhere? Are they sons of Annam and the Unnamed Sky Goddess or just of one of the two?

Thanks everyone!

EDIT: i'm aware of AuldDragon wondrous work, i'm searching for more.

Edited by - Demzer on 24 Feb 2014 10:15:12

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11724 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2014 :  12:56:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
we were discussing Karontor in some threads recently. He's rumored to have twisted the verbeeg's souls and the fomorian's bodies. I was recently wondering if he didn't also twist the subterranean giants known as the maur (who were formerly storm giants banished from the sky for some great crime that's unrevealed, see 3e underdark supplement), especially given his relations with subterranean hags that taught him magical secrets.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2014 :  13:35:06  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Weren't the maur created by the Phaerimm? I've always liked Vaprak the Destroyer myself, god of trolls.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2014 :  15:00:53  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About Grond Peaksmasher, he first appeared in the Druidhome trilogy, but there is almost no lore about him there. He is cited in the 2e boxed set, and afterwards I've only seen passing references in a Moonshae chronology. As for his father, nothing is revealed, but since he is a demigod, his father could be a mortal giant. But the form he is depicted in the novels makes us guess if Grond, being the size of a mountain, could be half-mortal. It is more likely that he would be the son of a lesser deity (maybe not a giant deity), or even of Hiatea alone (there are cases in mythology in which a deity is born from only one parent, after all).

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2014 :  23:23:25  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

Kind of as a follow up on my other thread, i'm in search of information on some more obscure and lesser powers of the giant pantheon in the Realms:
- Diancastra: i found her only in Monster Mythology, any other source on her somewhere? Is she in the Realms?
- Grond Peaksmasher: i found him in a old Polyhedron article, any other source on him? Any guess at who is his father?
- Karontor: he gets just a passing mention in Giantcraft and i found more on him in Monster Mythology, anywhere else i can look for informations about him?
- The 10 demigods brothers of Thrym: the only places i found them is in the various sources detailing Kostchtchie's realm, the 23rd Layer of the Abyss, where one (Grjotgard) of this 10 demigods is imprisoned, is there any other source on them? Are they at least listed somewhere? Are they sons of Annam and the Unnamed Sky Goddess or just of one of the two?

Thanks everyone!

EDIT: i'm aware of AuldDragon wondrous work, i'm searching for more.

There are no other detailed sources beyond those already mentioned as far as I have found. Diancastra has a temple in Sigil (in the Lady's Ward, see In The Cage: A Guide to Sigil), and all of the giant gods from Monster Mythology, plus Thrym and Surtr get at least one mention in the Twilight Giants trilogy (usually in the form of a curse or similar utterance, "Diancastra save us!" or "Karontor take you!" kind of thing), so I'd say yes, she is worshiped in the Realms.

I don't believe there is any mention of Grond or the Silverhaft Axe in novels previous The Druid Queen. Polyhedron #111 and that novel are the only major sources, and only Eric Boyd's Polyhedron article mentions a possible origin.

Thrym's ten brothers are mentioned in the 1st Ed Legends & Lore/Deities & Demigods book. They're not described as demigods there, though. I'm not sure of their non-game origin; possibly whatever version of the Thrymskvida James Ward and Rob Kuntz read (Thrym appears to have been created for that comic story), but none of those I've read specifically mention ten brothers. I don't think they'd actually be demigods, but rather immortal near-divine frost giants. Whether they are true brothers or sworn brothers isn't specified (if true brothers, they're probably the children of Annam and non-divine giants).

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7975 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2014 :  23:41:17  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markus once presented some interesting findings/observations about the Jotun demipantheon, even positing some relationship with deities like Gruumsh and Vaprak. Unfortunately, I cannot recall the exact scroll on which he long-ago wrote.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11724 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2014 :  00:57:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Weren't the maur created by the Phaerimm? I've always liked Vaprak the Destroyer myself, god of trolls.

I've yet to see anything about where they came from other than

"Descended from an outcast band of storm giants imprisoned in the earth for long-forgotten crimes, maurs have taken thousands of years to descend to the their current physical state of devolution".

What that crime was? Don't know, but sounds like something that Karontor would tempt them into (he is evil like that... having perverted the fomorians and verbeeg).

All that being said, if anyone has some actual canon stuff on them, I'm interested. I was actually surprised to see them (I must have skimmed them when I first read the supplement, but now I'm intrigued).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2014 :  11:42:58  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AuldDragon
I don't believe there is any mention of Grond or the Silverhaft Axe in novels previous The Druid Queen. Polyhedron #111 and that novel are the only major sources, and only Eric Boyd's Polyhedron article mentions a possible origin.

Jeff

The only other mention I found of Grond Peaksmasher was in the Moonshae timeline (I think it's 4e), and the Silverhaft Axe is mentioned (by name only, as an artifact) in the Volo's Guide to All Things Magical.

And Jeff, have you written an entry for Grond in your blog? I've tried a search, but nothing showed up.

EDIT: You must be noticed that Grond's priests in Polyhedron exhibit Hiatea's priestly powers. Have you kept this line of thinking?
With all respect for Mr. Boyd, I think a different approach would be nice...

As for the timeline, I refer to the online article "Grand History of the Realms - The Moonshaes by Brian R. James", which cites Grond in three entries:

c. -6000 DR Grond Peaksmasher leads a tribe of giants to the Moonshae Isles, primarily settling on the island of Norland in the Jotunhammer Mountains. The dwarves name the giant tribe "Fir-Bolg," or large men with spears.

c. -5000 DR In a great conflict between the dwarves and firbolgs of the Moonshaes, Grond Peaksmasher is imprisoned on Oman's Isle beneath the great Ice Peak. Without Grond's guidance, the firbolgs degenerate into brutes no more civilized than hill giants.

1365 DR (Year of the Sword) Princess Dierdre Kendrick, corrupted by Talos, assists firbolgs in releasing the avatar of Grond Peaksmasher from his imprisonment atop the frozen trails of Ice Peak on Oman's Isle. The Princess is later slain by her sister Alicia.

Note that Grond is not subject to age, since he lived for a thousand years with his subjects in the Moonshaes, before being trapped, and we don't know how old he was before that.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 25 Feb 2014 12:46:40
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
551 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2014 :  23:29:28  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

The only other mention I found of Grond Peaksmasher was in the Moonshae timeline (I think it's 4e), and the Silverhaft Axe is mentioned (by name only, as an artifact) in the Volo's Guide to All Things Magical.

And Jeff, have you written an entry for Grond in your blog? I've tried a search, but nothing showed up.

EDIT: You must be noticed that Grond's priests in Polyhedron exhibit Hiatea's priestly powers. Have you kept this line of thinking?
With all respect for Mr. Boyd, I think a different approach would be nice...

As for the timeline, I refer to the online article "Grand History of the Realms - The Moonshaes by Brian R. James", which cites Grond in three entries:

c. -6000 DR Grond Peaksmasher leads a tribe of giants to the Moonshae Isles, primarily settling on the island of Norland in the Jotunhammer Mountains. The dwarves name the giant tribe "Fir-Bolg," or large men with spears.

c. -5000 DR In a great conflict between the dwarves and firbolgs of the Moonshaes, Grond Peaksmasher is imprisoned on Oman's Isle beneath the great Ice Peak. Without Grond's guidance, the firbolgs degenerate into brutes no more civilized than hill giants.

1365 DR (Year of the Sword) Princess Dierdre Kendrick, corrupted by Talos, assists firbolgs in releasing the avatar of Grond Peaksmasher from his imprisonment atop the frozen trails of Ice Peak on Oman's Isle. The Princess is later slain by her sister Alicia.

Note that Grond is not subject to age, since he lived for a thousand years with his subjects in the Moonshaes, before being trapped, and we don't know how old he was before that.

I haven't completed Grond yet. I initially tried to make his priests a part of Hiatea's clergy (similar to Gwaeron's clergy), which seemed reasonable based on the presentation in Polyhedron, but the more I thought about it, the less sense it made, so I decided to create something new.

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2014 :  13:32:10  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AuldDragon

I haven't completed Grond yet. I initially tried to make his priests a part of Hiatea's clergy (similar to Gwaeron's clergy), which seemed reasonable based on the presentation in Polyhedron, but the more I thought about it, the less sense it made, so I decided to create something new.

Jeff

Very nice, I look forward for this specific post. I've always been interested in Grond, and eventually will use one of his followers as a NPC in my campaign.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page