Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Thomas M Reid
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Thomas M. Reid
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

334 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2004 :  15:22:58  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by norticus

hello mr. reid
im the person that translates the WotSQ series into Turkish
its my first work and im glad to have started with such a splendid serie

Good to meet you! I'm glad that you are enjoying your work so much.

quote:
im translating insurrection now and i know i might be needing your assistance during the process

No problem. You can reach me at thomas@thomasmreid.com any time.

Thomas

"A knight is not truly virtuous, only truly resolved to be so."

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

norticus
Acolyte

Turkey
6 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  13:01:29  Show Profile  Visit norticus's Homepage Send norticus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanx a lot...
Go to Top of Page

costas
Acolyte

Greece
8 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2004 :  19:40:26  Show Profile  Visit costas's Homepage Send costas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

...and what outstanding artwork it is too Certainly fitting in with cover art for the first novel. Beautiful.

Cant wait for the novel, this series ranks up there with Sembia and WotSQ as my all-time favorite FR series.

i agree, beautiful artwork
and as i can see emriana's all grown up
i just finished "sapphire crescent" excellent job Mr Reid, can't wait until "ruby guardian" comes out
i would like to ask you : which is for you the greatest difference between chondath and sembia? (from the lifestyle point of view)
(i am asking you this because while reading "the sapphire crescent" i found out that life in sembia and chondath is preety much the same)

please cope with any spelling mistakes :) english is not my native language

Edited by - costas on 19 Jun 2004 19:41:56
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  21:38:38  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by costas
i agree, beautiful artwork
and as i can see emriana's all grown up

LOL
When I first wrote up the art suggestion for that cover, I was envisioning Xaphira for it. But after I saw the painting, I realized it could just as easily be Emriana, so changed it in my head while writing. I even reference the outfit (though not the sandals) in the book itself.

quote:
i would like to ask you : which is for you the greatest difference between chondath and sembia? (from the lifestyle point of view)
(i am asking you this because while reading "the sapphire crescent" i found out that life in sembia and chondath is preety much the same)

I don't know that I can really answer that question. I must confess that I don't have that good a working knowledge of Sembia (the Sembia series is on my "to-do" list, but I haven't working my way that far down the pile, yet). I will say that the entire Vilhon Reach has a fairly standard culture, so I imagine they wouldn't be too terribly different.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Ordin_Solandar
Acolyte

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  00:29:01  Show Profile  Visit Ordin_Solandar's Homepage Send Ordin_Solandar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Thomas M. Reid, here comes another accolade, well more like praise.

I'n my opinion you did a spectacular job in giving the WOTSQ character great depth and unique personalities. I polished off your book in about 4 hours and just couldn't put it down. My only beef is that Q'arlynd Melarn seems to have plunged to a rather messy end. However I am trying to think up a way to incorperate him into a short story without having to ressurect him! That is of course if he actually died.

When was it decided that Valas couldn't levitate, considering he does so for a short period of time in "Dissolution" while fighting a hill giant?

Its easy not to care what people think, it harder to try!

Edited by - Alaundo on 14 Jul 2004 09:59:11
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  19:29:17  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ordin_Solandar

When was it decided that Valas couldn't levitate, considering he does so for a short period of time in "Dissolution" while fighting a hill giant?

Thanks for the praise, Ordin. I really appreciate it, and I'm glad you enjoyed the book so much . . . and so quickly!

As for Valas's ability to levitate, I'm not sure how clearly I remember the scene in Dissolution, but I can tell you that I worked from a special manual (a series "bible") that was put together with all of the characters' statistics and abilities, and in that, Valas could not levitate. It's entirely possible that Mr. Byers was initially working from a different set of parameters when he wrote Book I, but you'd have to ask him directly about that. In any event, he and I were overlapped to some degree, so I didn't get a chance to read his completed, edited manuscript before I started in on my own, and thus never caught any descrepancy.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Ordin_Solandar
Acolyte

Canada
40 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  20:23:34  Show Profile  Visit Ordin_Solandar's Homepage Send Ordin_Solandar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kewl

Just testing your realms knowledge a bit, ironically it was RAS who created the whole can the drow still levitate without a house crest debacle. Drizzt in Sojourn levitates to ski down a hill of gold while felling Hapestus the dragon. At that point in time he didn't have a house insignia; apparently all drow can levitate for certain periods of time. Its just that they can't get more then a few centimeters for any duration of time without ability modifing insignia. I will be sure to ask mr Bryers the exact same question!

When is your next book due out, so I may pre date its purchase for the Lynn Valley library?

All hail sirus black lore master of the keep!

Its easy not to care what people think, it harder to try!

Edited by - Ordin_Solandar on 14 Jul 2004 20:43:02
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2004 :  20:33:37  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ordin_Solandar
When is your next book due out, so I may pre date its purchase for the Lynn Valley library?

Thomas M. Reid's next FR novel is due out in November. For more information, take a look here.

Additionally, he has The Shining South game accessory that is due out in October.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2004 :  05:45:17  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have posted this in the Shining South thread but this seemed better suited in this thread. :)

A lot of the posters here, or at least those that came from the WOTC boards, know that I've been a pain in WOTC's censured because of the way the new FR sourcebooks have been written compared to the 1e and 2e material.

So I just wanted to let WOTC know, as well as Mr Reid, Ed, Darrin, and Mr. Boyd, that both Serpent Kingdoms and Shining South are grand! If this is how the new FR sourcebooks are going to be then I am impressed! I hope these types of FR sourcebooks continue!

Again this is coming from someone who has complained and critisized a lot of the new FR sourcebooks, but those two are just beautiful! So I hope WOTC keeps up with the Realmslore that those two sourcebooks are packed with!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 16 Oct 2004 05:47:45
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2004 :  08:37:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

I would have posted this in the Shining South thread but this seemed better suited in this thread. :)

A lot of the posters here, or at least those that came from the WOTC boards, know that I've been a pain in WOTC's censured because of the way the new FR sourcebooks have been written compared to the 1e and 2e material.

So I just wanted to let WOTC know, as well as Mr Reid, Ed, Darrin, and Mr. Boyd, that both Serpent Kingdoms and Shining South are grand! If this is how the new FR sourcebooks are going to be then I am impressed! I hope these types of FR sourcebooks continue!

Again this is coming from someone who has complained and critisized a lot of the new FR sourcebooks, but those two are just beautiful! So I hope WOTC keeps up with the Realmslore that those two sourcebooks are packed with!

I fully concur with everything kuje has said. The last two books have been good enough to keep me hooked. This is what I've been waiting for since 3E was inflicted on us.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2004 :  16:04:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's more to come, gentlemen, more to come.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2004 :  17:32:21  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks, kuje and Wooly. I'm glad you find the sourcebook useful. I am curious, though, to hear more specific details about what you found "better" in SS than in previous 3E Realms supplements. It still follows the same basic format as UE, so what grabbed you and felt "right?"

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2004 :  17:40:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas M. Reid
Thanks, kuje and Wooly. I'm glad you find the sourcebook useful. I am curious, though, to hear more specific details about what you found "better" in SS than in previous 3E Realms supplements. It still follows the same basic format as UE, so what grabbed you and felt "right?"

Thomas

The weather tables, which Silver Marches had but UE lacked. I did actually like the maps in SS as well. The lessening of the stat blocks (this is major for me, because I don't need a page or a page and a half of just stats!) so the Name/Alignment/Level/Race/deity stat lines are perfect! There's tons of lore in this book as well.

And for me, I didn't really care for UE because I have Dreams of the Red Wizards and Spellbound. Yes I know SS is also rehash of the old SS and a few other old books but it's nice to see those updated a little more and expanded.

I just usually look at the realmslore instead of prestige classes, and the like and just glancing through SS it is packed with realmslore, as I said. :)

However, I do have one complaint. It would have been nice to have the alignments of people within, like the FRCS has, listed for all of the nations/towns/villages/etc. Yes some of those are listed but most of them lesser ones are missing that....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 18 Oct 2004 17:42:54
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  21:21:41  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, kuje. Some of what you point to is the result of adjustments made to the outline I received when I was contracted to write the thing (the weather tables, for example), so perhaps WotC is listening to you. Anyway, I was just curious.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2004 :  22:36:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thomas

I'm reading thru the book right now, so I can't give any full statement -- I'm halfway thru Dambrath.

But this area has long been one of my faves, so that's a major plus. The fact that it's rich in lore is also a major plus.

I'll get back to you with more when I've finished the book.

Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2004 :  02:23:24  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thomas I am only a couple of chapters into The Ruby Gaurdian,and I am not asking for any spoilers.I just want to know is Xaphira a monk????Good read so far though.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2004 :  05:17:41  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

Thomas I am only a couple of chapters into The Ruby Gaurdian,and I am not asking for any spoilers.I just want to know is Xaphira a monk????Good read so far though.

Xaphira does, as a matter of fact, have a little monk in her. And I'm glad you're enjoying it so far.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2004 :  14:14:26  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Thomas

After reading the excellent Ruby Guardian () I stumbled upon a piece of lore I requested here at Candlekeep regarding the Zhentarim.

One such piece stated the following:

"Fzoul wants to get the cities of Arrabar and Reth in Chondath"

Although the events in the Scions of Arrabar Trilogy are quite localised, is there any Zhentarim activity still occuring in the region and how is this effecting them? (I understand that you probably can't reveal much due to events which have yet to unfold in The Emerald Sceptre)

Would you like to pick up on this Zhentarim hook in a future novel and are there any plans to write more in the region of Chondath?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2004 :  04:56:42  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Although the events in the Scions of Arrabar Trilogy are quite localised, is there any Zhentarim activity still occuring in the region and how is this effecting them? (I understand that you probably can't reveal much due to events which have yet to unfold in The Emerald Sceptre)

Well, first of all, I'd like to know where that information came from--what source did you quote? But beyond that, I can only say that it seems reasonable for the Zhentarim to have their fingers in a few of the activities in Arrabar, but I wouldn't think of it as terribly widespread at the moment.

quote:
Would you like to pick up on this Zhentarim hook in a future novel and are there any plans to write more in the region of Chondath?

At this point, I can't say whether there will be more for me to do in Chondath or not. I can certainly perceive a number of new stories to tell, but whether or not Wizards wants me to stick with that arena or not is not something I've yet discussed with them. Even if such does come to pass, I wouldn't want to speculate on what sorts of plot hooks I'd like to use. Essentially, without committing to anything, I'm always open to every idea.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2004 :  08:47:43  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believ the poster is referring to the Zhentarim write-up in Cloak & Dagger regarding Reth, itself an attempt to clean up the discrepancy between FR10 - The Old Empires abd The Vilhon Reach.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2004 :  10:05:53  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, first of all, I'd like to know where that information came from--what source did you quote? But beyond that, I can only say that it seems reasonable for the Zhentarim to have their fingers in a few of the activities in Arrabar, but I wouldn't think of it as terribly widespread at the moment.

Thanks for the response, Thomas

It wasn't from a first-hand find in an official source (thanks for the pointer though Eric), but second-hand from another poster, which I assumed was taken from an official product. The original post is here.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2005 :  22:39:56  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Reid, I have a question about the coverart of The Emerald Scepter.

The person that is featured on the cover, is that supposed to be Arbeenok? The picture I looked at was pretty small so I wasn't sure but from your descriptions in The Ruby Guardian, I thought it might be him.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2005 :  04:45:21  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Mr. Reid, I have a question about the coverart of The Emerald Scepter.

The person that is featured on the cover, is that supposed to be Arbeenok? The picture I looked at was pretty small so I wasn't sure but from your descriptions in The Ruby Guardian, I thought it might be him.

Yep.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2005 :  05:40:06  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does this mean that Arbeenok will have a prominent role in the third book? Also, what race does he belong to, because from the picture it kinda looked like he has the head of Demogorgon and the body of an ape. Lol.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2005 :  15:57:12  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Does this mean that Arbeenok will have a prominent role in the third book? Also, what race does he belong to, because from the picture it kinda looked like he has the head of Demogorgon and the body of an ape. Lol.

Fairly prominent. The members of House Matrell are still the focus of the story, but Arbeenok has a major role to play.

And he's an alaghi, from Monsters of Faerun.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  21:06:35  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thomas

What can you say about Champions of Valour?

Is it designed as a DMs or a Players book? (To me if it contains Monster stats then its automaticly a DMs book ie Champions of Ruin is a Dms only book as it have Demon Lord and other FR outsider stats)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  21:57:25  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

What's Champions of Valor? Is that name posted somewhere?

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  22:19:40  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm ashamed to say I have not read the first two novels of the Scions of Arrabar yet, but they'll shortly be added to my 'read' list, along with the Emerald Scepter when it's released.
I loved your novel Insurrection and had a few questions about it: Was it difficult to set up the destruction of such a prominent city to the Drow? Or the characterizations of Zammzt and the Ruling Council (I take it Aunrae and the others are resting in the Demonweb at the moment) especially knowing Zammzt's true alleigances at the end.
And that final scene with Jeggred and Faerl was intensly disturbing and brutal...so in that note, excellent work!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  23:21:23  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thomas

The tarrasque is out of the bag now. It's listed on the 2005 product schedule.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2005 :  23:53:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thomas

Indeed, along with a November 4 release date. The tressym is out of the bag, so it's safe to speak.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000