Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Thomas M Reid
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  19:06:33  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a renowned author of the Realms, namely - Thomas M Reid, whos works include: Insurrection and The Scions of Arabbar Trilogy.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this author.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  20:02:15  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey there. This isn't really a question, more of an interesting statement. So I finally got around to spending a gift certificate at my local bookstore, and picked up a couple of books I'd been meaning to read to for a while (I'm behind). It wasn't until buying them that I actually noticed that both (Insurrection and the first of the Arabbar books) were by the same guy. I've high hopes for both, and am looking forward to diving back in FR. So thanks, Mr Reid.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

334 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  20:07:30  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All right, so I had to post the first message in my own sticky topic, didn't I?
[Edit: Great! Hoondatha goes and posts a message before me! You screwed me all up! ]

Actually, I did this so I could jump in here occasionally and "edit" this message with new information later. For the moment, I'll just say thanks to Elaine for the suggestion, and thanks to Alaundo for making it happen.

For anyone who's interested, I just found out today that one of my latest projects is finally being released. I have designed a couple of d20 supplements for RASalvatore's DemonWars setting, and the most recent one, Enchanted Locations, is due to ship to stores on Monday. I know it's neither FR or novel related, but I wanted to mention it anyway for those of you who enjoy Bob's Corona series.

Thomas

"A knight is not truly virtuous, only truly resolved to be so."

www.thomasmreid.com

Edited by - Thomas M. Reid on 12 Feb 2004 20:11:42
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  20:16:31  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Hey there. This isn't really a question, more of an interesting statement. So I finally got around to spending a gift certificate at my local bookstore, and picked up a couple of books I'd been meaning to read to for a while (I'm behind). It wasn't until buying them that I actually noticed that both (Insurrection and the first of the Arabbar books) were by the same guy. I've high hopes for both, and am looking forward to diving back in FR. So thanks, Mr Reid.

Terrific! Dive away. Just don't hit your head. (And you have read Dissolution first, right?)

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Demonwise
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  20:21:23  Show Profile  Visit Demonwise's Homepage Send Demonwise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Thomas M. Reid.

I have bought you book, finally, Sapphire Crescent. I am loving it so far! I would just like to know if you could post Vambran's levels (or entire stat block?) since I remember that you did that on the wizards boards. It is just good to know, when reading the book :).

(Please don't include any spoilers, I will not let my experience of the book get ruined )
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  21:46:34  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here you go.

Vambran Matrell: Ftr3/Clr3 (of Waukeen)/Sor1

Hope that helps. I think I'll keep the full stat block to myself, in case I ever need to adjust something for the sake of story and plot.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Demonwise
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  21:53:05  Show Profile  Visit Demonwise's Homepage Send Demonwise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hehe! Finally a reasonable level protaganist, instead of a 'its only twenty orcs' character. I like it when fantasy stays within the bonds of reality.

Enjoying your book so far :).
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2004 :  22:57:20  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, I've read Dissolution, but I was waiting for the other novels to come out in paperback. It means my reading of WotSQ has been crawling (or, rather, stopped dead), but I'm a poor college student and don't have much choice in the matter.

Go to Top of Page

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2004 :  22:39:07  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Reid, I just wanted to mention that I found Insurrection to be an excellent work and is one of my favorite FR novels of all time, even though it is just a part of the War of the Spider Queen series! I praise these novels highly when discussing such books with my friends and coworkers and have influenced at least a couple people to go pick these up as a result.

One of my favorite FR characters so far is Valas Hune, especially as portrayed in your novel. I was wondering, could you post some of his stats, levels or characteristics at the time this character existed in your book?

Thanks for your time and congratulations on your great works!

Edited by - Maecenus of Westgate on 13 Feb 2004 22:40:08
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2004 :  03:55:32  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maecenus,

I don't want to reveal too much, since the full write-up for the characters are appearing in groups in issues of DRAGON magazine (someone else will have to list who's in what issues, because I can't remember). However, his baseline levels are:

Rog10/Rgr2/Ftr4

He also has a Hide +38, which we pretty much interpreted as, he can sometimes hide even when running or charging. He can't hide while you're looking right at him, but if you glance away, he can hide so well you won't see him when you look back again. That was loads of fun to write about.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2004 :  13:08:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[Special note: Alaundo, since I am unsure whether these scrolls are purely for Realms novel discussion please feel free to delete this post if you feel it is not applicable to this topic...]

Greetings to you Mr Reid...

Before I get to my question about a certain section of Chapter 7 in your recent The Sapphire Crescent release, I have only two other questions to ask -

Firstly, besides the Star*Drive novel 'Gridrunner' that you wrote, were there any other books within that short lived series that you also authored...?

And to the second, did you play within the Star*Drive universe at all...?.

That's all for now, and I appreciate any answers you can provide on this...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2004 :  15:53:28  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Firstly, besides the Star*Drive novel 'Gridrunner' that you wrote, were there any other books within that short lived series that you also authored...?

No, Gridrunner was the only one. Incidentally, it started out as a submission for an anthology of short stories for the Star*Drive setting, and the editor asked me if I was interested in changing it into a full-blown novel. It was my first.

quote:
And to the second, did you play within the Star*Drive universe at all...?

Yes, some. I did some playtesting of the Alternity system, and I also used to be a part of a gaming group that was run by Bill Slavicek, one of the designers of Alternity. We did some Star*Drive when the game was first developed, though I don't actually appear in the playtest credits.

Interesting side note: Sable, one of the main characters from Gridrunner, was actually based on a character I played for a while in Bill's Star Wars campaign back then (Bill was also the principal designer on the original West End Games Star Wars system, so we played a lot of that). I converted her to the Star*Drive universe for the short story, and the rest just fell into place.

Now, what about Chapter 7?

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2004 :  04:28:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your replies Mr Reid...I appreciate the effort.

It's truly a shame that a separate SD anthology was not also published along with the full-blown novels...there's a lot of story still waiting to be told...

Anyway, as to 'Chapter 7', I'll have to get back to you since I don't have the novel with me at the moment for reference...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2004 :  08:59:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now, to my question -

Mr Reid, those leech-type creatures that Vambran encountered in Chapter 7...Were they based on any creature detailed anywhere within the myriad (and numerous) 'Monster' folios currently available, or was the standard leech your inspiration for them...?

Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2004 :  17:18:00  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Mr Reid, those leech-type creatures that Vambran encountered in Chapter 7...Were they based on any creature detailed anywhere within the myriad (and numerous) 'Monster' folios currently available, or was the standard leech your inspiration for them...?

I had a strange feeling that was what you were going to ask me.

It's called a leechwalker, and it came from 3E Monster Manual II, page 135.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2004 :  09:29:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Boy am I embarassed....

I'm sorry about that Mr Reid. It's normally my technique to look through all the tomes I have before asking questions like this...I guess it shows what happens when you don't read your Monster Manuals regularly...eh?

Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2004 :  18:52:50  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Absolutely no apology necessary . . . I was more than happy to answer the question.

I worked for the company for almost 10 years, and I couldn't tell you what half the creatures in the various monster tomes are without looking them up. That's why I have the books, after all.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  10:15:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose your right Mr Reid...

I've got another question coming, but I want to finish the book before I ask it, just in case it gets answered later in the story...

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  16:04:16  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, one question. Was the "one forehead dot, two forehead dot, three forehead dot" system original, as in you came up with it, or did it actually exist before the novel?

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Cherrn
Learned Scribe

Denmark
323 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  16:11:11  Show Profile Send Cherrn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I remember it existed before Mr Reid wrote about it. I think I read about it for the first time in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting 2nd edition.
Anyways. Nice work on Insurrection Mr Reid. Im sorry to say that I havent read any other of your books

A wise man from Calimport once told me: "If a merchant puts sand in the flask of oil he's trying to sell you, then he isn't trying to sell you sand..."
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2004 :  20:33:19  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shadowlord,

Cherrn is right; it was already established, and I just used it.

Cherrn,

I'm glad you enjoyed Insurrection! Thanks for letting me know.

www.thomasmreid.com

Edited by - Thomas M. Reid on 19 Feb 2004 20:34:22
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2004 :  16:55:54  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, Is there any chance you can enlighten us with a sneak preview into the Scions of Arrabar Trilogy? I won't tell a soul......

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2004 :  14:09:27  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

Hmmm, Is there any chance you can enlighten us with a sneak preview into the Scions of Arrabar Trilogy?

The whole trilogy? Or do you actually mean the second book, The Ruby Guardian? As far as the second book goes, I don't want to drop any spoilers just yet, since I'm still wrapping it up. But once I'm finished with the whole thing (and that means revisions, too, so it'll be a few months still), then I might give a couple of teasers.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2004 :  15:00:16  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas M. Reid
As far as the second book goes, I don't want to drop any spoilers just yet, since I'm still wrapping it up. But once I'm finished with the whole thing (and that means revisions, too, so it'll be a few months still), then I might give a couple of teasers.

Oh please do tease away when that time comes. Feel free to tease away a whole outline if you wish.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2004 :  22:12:26  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

Hmmm, Is there any chance you can enlighten us with a sneak preview into the Scions of Arrabar Trilogy?

The whole trilogy? Or do you actually mean the second book, The Ruby Guardian? As far as the second book goes, I don't want to drop any spoilers just yet, since I'm still wrapping it up. But once I'm finished with the whole thing (and that means revisions, too, so it'll be a few months still), then I might give a couple of teasers.

Thomas

Hmmm, tease away, my friend, tease away...... If you are so "hush-hush", simply e-mail me via my Candlekeep profile.....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2004 :  00:00:34  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I just finished Insurrection (darned college work kept me from reading it), and I wanted to say thanks for a good read. As usualy for these boards, though, I have a couple of questions.

The only real point in the book where I sat back in confusion was at the very end, where the matron Ssipriina goes from offering an escape to being described as "insane" and trying to kill them all. That's quite a switch, and I couldn't figure out what triggered it. Could you enlighten me?

My only other wonder is how drow levitation was being dealt with in 3e/WotSQ books. I know it used to be limited use, but now the characters are doing it practically at will (I don't think I could figure out how many times they levitated during that one day). So obviously there's been a rules change. What are the new rules?

Many thanks, Hoondatha

Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2004 :  19:56:08  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

The only real point in the book where I sat back in confusion was at the very end, where the matron Ssipriina goes from offering an escape to being described as "insane" and trying to kill them all. That's quite a switch, and I couldn't figure out what triggered it. Could you enlighten me?

Sure. Basically, it was two catalysts. Part of it was because she was originally negotiating with her life; Quenthel was dangling the possibility of healing the poison in Ssipriina's system in exchange for an escape route. Ssipriina was cooperating because it was the only way she could save herself. But when Quenthel reneged on the agreement (as drow are wont to do), Ssipriina figured, "what the heck; I'll kill them all!"

The other part of it is a little more subtle. She was simply off her rocker because of the poison itself. When I was writing that, I sort of imagined her as practically rabid and crazed, caught in the death throes of the poison but still full of hate and determined to bring everyone down with her. She didn't actually have foam coming out of her mouth, but she was darn close to it.

quote:
My only other wonder is how drow levitation was being dealt with in 3e/WotSQ books. I know it used to be limited use, but now the characters are doing it practically at will (I don't think I could figure out how many times they levitated during that one day). So obviously there's been a rules change. What are the new rules?

This one was tricky. Basically, the drow cannot levitate as an innate ability any longer (though there is some feat they can acquire in the game system rules that permits such), but most of the higher ranking nobles wear magical House brooches that enable them to do most of the same things they used to do naturally. Whereas before, they were limited in the number of uses per day, now they can do it at will. But only those who have a magic brooch get to do so, which is why some of the group could and some had to be carried.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Teflon
Seeker

60 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2004 :  19:57:50  Show Profile  Visit Teflon's Homepage Send Teflon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got a few quick questions if you dont mind.

Any plans on the spider mage Jalefyin?

Also will there be any solo books featuring the assassin Nimor?

Thanks a bunch.

In any battle, the mightiest weapon is one that strikes unseen.

A Warrior or Wizard may be invincible in open battle, with their foes before them, but even they must sleep sometime, and cannot parry the knife that comes from behind.

-The life of a assassin.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2004 :  19:34:18  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Teflon

Any plans on the spider mage Jalefyin?
Also will there be any solo books featuring the assassin Nimor

I think you're confusing which books are which; neither of those characters appear in Insurrection, which is the one I wrote for the WotSQ series. So no, I have no plans to pursue any fiction with either of those characters. If you're just asking in a general sense, I have no idea if anyone else has something in the works.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2004 :  06:16:40  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For anyone who's interested, I just found out today that one of my latest projects is finally being released. I have designed a couple of d20 supplements for RASalvatore's DemonWars setting, and the most recent one, Enchanted Locations, is due to ship to stores on Monday. I know it's neither FR or novel related, but I wanted to mention it anyway for those of you who enjoy Bob's Corona series.

Thomas

Have you ever wanted to write any FR d20 supplements?
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2004 :  15:54:47  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobROE
Have you ever wanted to write any FR d20 supplements?

I actually just finished writing one. It's not listed in WotC's catalog yet, though, so I can't say anything else about it.

I served as the Creative Director for the FR line for a couple of years just before Wizards bought TSR, so I had my hand in numerous FR products from before 3E.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000