Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2005 :  02:04:58  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Paul.

Firstly, the praise*g*. I thoroughly enjoyed the Erevis Cale trilogy thus far. For my tastes, youve given the "dark" Cale a perfect companion in Jak Fleet and also a great Nemesis in Riven )love that triumvirate). I was actually sold on Cale after I read the first short story in DRAGON. Looking forward to the final novel and I danced a happy jig in front of my computer (to the grave concern of my girlfriend) when I read about the fact, that there will be another trilogy. Thanks, too, for putting some spotlight on Mask once again*g*, that deity is just plain kewl.

Secondly, the question.
I was pretty fascinated by Sephris and his "mathematical" approach to problems(quite unique and darn, if you didnt put some cliffhangers/suspicion raisers/riddles for the reader there). Where did you get the idea for that from?

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2005 :  14:15:23  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dart Ambermoon

Hello Paul.

Firstly, the praise*g*. I thoroughly enjoyed the Erevis Cale trilogy thus far. For my tastes, youve given the "dark" Cale a perfect companion in Jak Fleet and also a great Nemesis in Riven )love that triumvirate). I was actually sold on Cale after I read the first short story in DRAGON. Looking forward to the final novel and I danced a happy jig in front of my computer (to the grave concern of my girlfriend) when I read about the fact, that there will be another trilogy. Thanks, too, for putting some spotlight on Mask once again*g*, that deity is just plain kewl.

Secondly, the question.
I was pretty fascinated by Sephris and his "mathematical" approach to problems(quite unique and darn, if you didnt put some cliffhangers/suspicion raisers/riddles for the reader there). Where did you get the idea for that from?

Dart,

Thank you.

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure where Sephris came from. I've always thought it interesting that music is, essentially, mathematics, so maybe I extrapolated from there. I also try to make any "Chosen" depicted in my books as paying a price for their specialness (so that partially explains Sephris's seeming insanity, his inability to just *stop* calculating, even for a short time).

Someone once told me that Sephris reminded them a bit of John Nash, the genius depicted in the movie "A Beautiful Mind," but I think I saw that movie long after I wrote Twilight Falling.

Not sure that's helpful, but there it is. As for the various hints that Sephris drops, let's talk again after Midnight's Mask.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4856 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2005 :  13:11:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, at least I know what the hype is all about now. "Twilight Falling" was a great read, impossible to put down and had a depth of characterization that I haven't encountered in a fantasy novel for a while. Time to buy the rest of the trilogy. Thanks Paul - great stuff.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2005 :  17:23:48  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Well, at least I know what the hype is all about now. "Twilight Falling" was a great read, impossible to put down and had a depth of characterization that I haven't encountered in a fantasy novel for a while. Time to buy the rest of the trilogy. Thanks Paul - great stuff.

-- George Krashos

George,

Thanks for that. I appreciate it a great deal.

I've been told that TF stands fairly well on its own (i.e., it makes sense and the characters come through even for folks who haven't read "Halls of Stormweather" and "Shadow's Witness") and I'm glad that seems to be true.

Anyway, thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2005 :  13:23:36  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Paul, I really have enjoyed reading your works on Shadow Witness, Book 1 and 2 of Erevis Cale trilogy, a pity I have yet to get book 3 of this impressive trilogy. But if you permit, can I ask what is meant by "two and two makes four" for Erevis Cale, is this sentence a kind of portent into Cale's destiny or does it concern his comrades and him? I have a difficult time trying to sort this question out.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2005 :  15:10:00  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

Greetings Paul, I really have enjoyed reading your works on Shadow Witness, Book 1 and 2 of Erevis Cale trilogy, a pity I have yet to get book 3 of this impressive trilogy. But if you permit, can I ask what is meant by "two and two makes four" for Erevis Cale, is this sentence a kind of portent into Cale's destiny or does it concern his comrades and him? I have a difficult time trying to sort this question out.

Shadovar,

The phrase, "Two and two are four" is/was Sephris's way of trying to tell Cale that his fate is predetermined, that the answer will always be the same no matter what he does. CAle does not like that idea, but this is why Cale sometimes thinks of those words when he comes face to face with the idea that he is what he is, even if he doesn't like it. Make sense?

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 22 Sep 2005 15:23:01
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  10:13:15  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vendui Mr. Kemp!

A wee while back we discussed the final book of the WotSQ series on the livejournal board ( http://www.livejournal.com/users/paulskemp/10749.html?view=68861#t68861 ). Now, some people are pretty canon bound and regard information only as canon when it appears in some written form. On the named board you gave some info on the results of the War and I wonder whether you can elaborate on the new ranking of the Spider Queen. Was that an intention by the Wizards, i.e., did you have the authority to call her a (well, there are no real spoiler markings that I can find) the goddess she is now?

Are there any publishing dates set for the "Realms-shaking" new Erevis trilogy?

All the best, Zanan!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

G a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faern, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2005 :  16:24:52  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Zanan,

I understand that Lolth's reclassification was one of WotC's purposes for WotSQ.

As for the next Cale trilogy, I don't have firm dates. I believe "Shadowbred" will be released in late '06.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1071 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2005 :  20:05:09  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage  Click to see khorne's MSN Messenger address Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

Zanan,

I understand that Lolth's reclassification was one of WotC's purposes for WotSQ.

As for the next Cale trilogy, I don't have firm dates. I believe "Shadowbred" will be released in late '06.

Paul

Might I ask which year of Dalereckoning it is set in?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  10:39:25  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

Zanan,

Paul

Thanks for this info!

Regarding Erevis, am I right to assume that he SPOILER

. ... gained the shade template (FRCS) rather than the shadowwalker one (Unapproachable East) during his stay in the Fane of Shadows? Given the description, he appeared to me much like the former.
SPOILER END. I haven't yet read the thrid part of that trilogy though.

Zanan

G a wyrd swa hio scel!

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faern, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  20:25:06  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Zanan,

You're correct. The former.
Go to Top of Page

krav
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  14:24:41  Show Profile  Visit krav's Homepage Send krav a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After reading Twilight Falling, I had always presumed that Riven had the Shadowwalker template.

Is this correct?

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1071 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  22:17:07  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage  Click to see khorne's MSN Messenger address Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What`s the difference between the shade and the shadowwalker templates?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  14:21:32  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krav

After reading Twilight Falling, I had always presumed that Riven had the Shadowwalker template.

Is this correct?

Krav,

You'll have a better sense of what Riven is becoming after reading Midnight's Mask, which I think is now available. He's not a shadowwalker, though.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  14:23:53  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

What`s the difference between the shade and the shadowwalker templates?

Khorne,

There is a fair bit of overlap between the two, at least in terms of in-game effects.

In terms of the non-game effects, a shade is a person who has swapped out the essence of his being for the stuff of shadow (rendering him very long lived). A shadow walker is a worshipper of Mask granted special powers over shadowstuff, though he or she otherwise remains fully human.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4569 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  15:55:05  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krav

Is this correct?

Actually I think Rivens a Divine Champion of mask

I am the King of Rome, and above grammar

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5579 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2005 :  16:15:37  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Paul will be taking questions within the November Book Club here at Candlekeep, for Midnight's Mask.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Aginor37
Seeker

20 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2005 :  08:20:12  Show Profile  Visit Aginor37's Homepage Send Aginor37 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have a question really, I just wanted to stop in and thank Mr. Kemp for writing Midnight's Mask. I just finished it, and wow. In my opinion, the definitive Realms novels now consist of three; Evermeet, Death of the Dragon, and Midnight's Mask.

I can't wait to see what's in Store in the next trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2005 :  09:07:11  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
Actually I think Rivens a Divine Champion of mask

Rather a blackguard, given he can cast the odd spell too, of I remember correctly.

G a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2005 :  14:53:25  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aginor37

I don't have a question really, I just wanted to stop in and thank Mr. Kemp for writing Midnight's Mask. I just finished it, and wow. In my opinion, the definitive Realms novels now consist of three; Evermeet, Death of the Dragon, and Midnight's Mask.

Aginor,

That is high praise indeed. I'm flattered and immensely pleased that you enjoyed Midnight's Mask and the Cale trilogy overall.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5579 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  09:13:11  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met, Aginor37

Indeed, very good to hear. 'tis a shame ye missed out on the Midnight's Mask Book Club. Feel free to have a flick through the book to find out any particular areas ye wish to discuss with others, however

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4856 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  23:15:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I've just finished book 2 in the trilogy and have to congratulate Paul again. Very impressive. Of course, I'm now dealing well with the cliffhanger ending (Riven, how could you!?) but naturally it's whetted my appetite for more. Good stuff and well done.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  13:43:19  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Well, I've just finished book 2 in the trilogy and have to congratulate Paul again. Very impressive. Of course, I'm now dealing well with the cliffhanger ending (Riven, how could you!?) but naturally it's whetted my appetite for more. Good stuff and well done.

-- George Krashos

Thank you, George. On the plus side, the cliffhanger doesn't have to keep you in suspense very long -- Midnight's Mask is available (in Australia too, I hope).

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2005 :  00:30:55  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Aginor, don't you consider Cormyr : A novel by Ed as one of the definitive Realms novels - I am shocked beyond words

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  18:02:09  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage  Send Ethriel an AOL message Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Paul, here's my questions, but first, thank you very much for the Cale trilogy, incredible one, it was.

1. What will the plot of the Twilight War be? You said Kesson Rel would play a large part, and the Shadovar...will Telamont possibly be looking to expand?

2. What plans do you have for Azriim? Will he feature as an enemy to Cale and Riven or will he look to make his way in the world and hunger for a new transformation? I'd love to see him take on the heroes again, such a fun evil monster.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000