Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2005 :  06:47:37  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Be sure to return forthwith with thy thoughts on the stories

Well, I discovered that I'm missing Dragon 277, but I did read "And All the Sinners Saints" from 297. I don't know how I missed that story, that's one of my favorite issues of Dragon. Anyway, yet another excellent story. I wish I had read this in its proper place between Shadow's Witness and Twilight Falling. This story did a great job of setting up the new relationship between Cale and Riven, and I think *spoiler hidden* foreshadowed Riven's ultimate betrayal of Cale more than Twilight Falling and Dawn of Night.The only thing that troubled me about the TF and DoN was that I felt that Mask was betrayed as less evil than I think the god of assassins really is, of course he was portrayed in much the same way in the Avatar books as well. In this story, Mask's manipulation and trickery is evident. I also really like the way Cale's relationship with Mask is portrayed. Cale takes Jak's words to heart, and doesn't lose himself to his god. Also, the full page spread of Cale and Riven is excellent.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2005 :  04:07:43  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Paul.You are going to be writing another trilogy with Cale now.Plus you state that it will be an RSE(Realms Shaking Event).For those who don't know what an RSE is.How do you feel about writing a RSE?Do you think that Cale has reached that magnitude?Do you think that you are ready to write a RSE?Well I feel that you will be lights out,but how do you feel about changing the realms whether it's for the good or the bad?

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2005 :  15:14:09  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally found a backissue of 277 and read "Another Name for Dawn" Another excellent story. Many of my questions answered, great origin story.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  08:48:30  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those scribes not following this author's blog, you might wish to take note of the following entry he recently had:

quote:

Midnight's Mask Completed
I finished Midnight's Mask today. It feels both good and strange. Good because I'm done; and strange because I'm done. Midnight's Mask represents an ending for the Cale trilogy characters. Note: *An ending,* but not *the ending,* at least not for all of the group. I'm pleased that I'll get to visit in the next trilogy with those who made it through this one.

Meanwhile, I will take a few weeks off and then turn to my story for Realms of Elves.

"those who made it through this one..." translation, it's just Cale. He's the Dirty Harry of the Realms, no one needs to be his partner or stand near him.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2005 :  16:36:38  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Those who made it through",huh???Interesting to say the least.Cale being the Dirty Harry is a laugher.Good one SB!!!!!

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1071 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2005 :  18:25:50  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage  Click to see khorne's MSN Messenger address Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to congratulate you Mr.Kemp for your splendid Cale books. Oh, and(leans in and whispers)Would there be any chance of Loith being killed or at least grieviously wounded and demoted from greater god(or whatever she is)to a lesser rank?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Weiser_Cain
Learned Scribe

87 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  01:05:52  Show Profile  Visit Weiser_Cain's Homepage Send Weiser_Cain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's Lloth, and if anything she should gain some divine levels after what she's doing in war of the spider queen...

I'm always the Wizard!
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1071 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2005 :  15:45:52  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage  Click to see khorne's MSN Messenger address Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Weiser_Cain

That's Lloth, and if anything she should gain some divine levels after what she's doing in war of the spider queen...

Well, I can see from your picture where you stand on this issue............

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

elven_songstress
Learned Scribe

126 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  00:34:56  Show Profile  Visit elven_songstress's Homepage Send elven_songstress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually it could be a powerplay (and likely is ) On Lloth's Part so I still think it might be 50/50 on weither she gains or looses something.

We need to be reminded sometimes that a sunrise lasts but a few minutes,but its beauty can burnin our hearts eternally."
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4834 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  00:58:18  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

Finally found a backissue of 277 and read "Another Name for Dawn" Another excellent story. Many of my questions answered, great origin story.

Yes, fine FR issue was Dragon #277. Had a pretty decent "Bazaar of the Bizarre" article IIRC ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2005 :  01:52:25  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage  Click to see DDH_101's MSN Messenger address Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Kemp, when is the last book in the Erevis Cale trilogy, Midnight's Mask, going to be released? I checked WotC and all they say is 2005. The reason I ask is that I wanted to buy that and also Resurrection, and I wish to purchase the two novels together at the local bookstore.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2005 :  04:12:18  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Mr. Kemp, when is the last book in the Erevis Cale trilogy, Midnight's Mask, going to be released? I checked WotC and all they say is 2005.

November 2005 is the release date I have seen.
Go to Top of Page

elven_songstress
Learned Scribe

126 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2005 :  06:27:20  Show Profile  Visit elven_songstress's Homepage Send elven_songstress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to thank Paul on a well written (if not gruesome) final book.
Also, for giving me a reason to actually feel something other then utter detestment for a certain Alu-fiend

We need to be reminded sometimes that a sunrise lasts but a few minutes,but its beauty can burnin our hearts eternally."
Go to Top of Page

Arcanum
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  18:59:46  Show Profile  Visit Arcanum's Homepage Send Arcanum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Kemp, thank you for giving us the Resurrection, it's a great novel.

I've read the interview on WotC site, you said that you will be working on a sequel trilogy to the Erevis Cale Trilogy, which featuring a Realms-Shaking Event.

If you think it's ok, could you give us a few hints of that Realms-Shaking Event? If it's too early to talk about that, maybe in the future i think?

Again, thanks for your great book.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  00:57:18  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Songstress and Arcanum,

Thank you both.
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  16:06:02  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage  Send Ethriel an AOL message Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything to tell us about Midnight's Mask, Pauk? Juicy tidbits and soforth? (I consider Azriim one of the best villains in FR, and I'm betting I'll like Vhostym more coming up)

And I loved Ressurection myself (Recently arrived and read!) Though I have to say AND ask:

You left a lot open...think there's the chance we'll see Pharaun, Halisstra and Dyrr again one day?

the way you got into the minds of the characters was brilliant, though I found myself getting weepy at the end with Pharaun...I want to compliment you for your brilliant work and say: "I hope it's not over yet" with Pharaun, Dyrr, Nimor, Vhok, the Baenres and Halisstra! (Don't let it die! Still so much left!)

And I'll be one of the first to get Midnight's Mask!
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  16:35:50  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

Anything to tell us about Midnight's Mask, Pauk? Juicy tidbits and soforth? (I consider Azriim one of the best villains in FR, and I'm betting I'll like Vhostym more coming up)

And I loved Ressurection myself (Recently arrived and read!) Though I have to say AND ask:

You left a lot open...think there's the chance we'll see Pharaun, Halisstra and Dyrr again one day?

the way you got into the minds of the characters was brilliant, though I found myself getting weepy at the end with Pharaun...I want to compliment you for your brilliant work and say: "I hope it's not over yet" with Pharaun, Dyrr, Nimor, Vhok, the Baenres and Halisstra! (Don't let it die! Still so much left!)

And I'll be one of the first to get Midnight's Mask!

Thanks, Ethriel. Most appreciated.

I don't know for certain whether there will be a return to some of the characters from WotSQ, but, given their popularity, I would not be surprised.

As for Midnight's Mask, it's hard to drop too much in the way of hints. I'll tell you that I think it's the best book of the Cale trilogy. It starts fast, continues faster, and ends.... Well, I'm as happy with the end of that book as any book I've ever written. I think it will surprise you.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  18:40:17  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage  Click to see Lord Rad's MSN Messenger address Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

I'll tell you that I think it's the best book of the Cale trilogy.

Wow To be honest, I never thought that Dawn of Night would come close to Twilight Falling, but it was fantastic. I'm not sure I can actually cope with reading Midnight's Mask after your statement here ARGH!

VERY excited about this book. This trilogy is in my top 5 FR series of all time.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  20:54:43  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage  Send Ethriel an AOL message Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, you do realize this will mean I have to track you down and steal the manuscript, right? At least my birthday's in November...

Now, a few questions:

SPOILERS FOR WotSQ book 6: Resurrection:

How did Lolth actually become a Greater Goddess?

Why did Mel Odom bow out of the project?

Would you like to see more of the WOTSQ characters like Pharaun or Dyrr? (You broke my heart with the former...my poor heart...) and Nimor continuing his shadow war against Menzoberranzan?

Do you think Lady Penitent might get put down mighty quick? she's bound to attract the attention of a certain Chosen Drow...and her six sisters...and one said sister's hubby...

And how long's Inthracis gonna last now? Vhaeraun cannot be too happy about this turn of events...which reminds me: How's Selvetarm doing? Any major damage sustained from his daddy?

You've become one of my all time favorite realms authors, Paul, keep up the great work! (With both Erevis AND the Drow!) And thanks for the answers, mate!

Edited by - Ethriel on 19 Apr 2005 20:57:52
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  21:20:54  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ethriel,

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to answer some of these questions. No doubt later products will handle most of them. I'll do what I can. Here goes (SPOILERS FOR RESURRECTION):

1. How Lolth became a greater goddess.

I can only speculate but the fact that Lolth is greater now than before does suggest there is something more to divine rank than simply the number of worshippers. This makes some sense. If Lolth was powered purely by number of worshippers, it would make little sense for her to encourage the kind of internecine house warfare that she does. After all, every obliterated house represents worshippers lost. Perhaps there are a multitude of factors that contribute to a deity's power, including, possibly, the molding and ultimate melding with an exemplar of the faith (in this case, the Yor'thae), or the risking of the divine existence on a ploy that embodies the very ethos of the god (as happened with Lolth here).

2. I don't know why Mel backed out.

3. As a reader, I'd like to see more of some of the WotSQ characters. Don't know if that will happen or not. We can hope, though, right?

4. My take on Nimor is this: I think he's too utilitarian to long carry a grudge. I could see him leaving his failure in Menzo behind, learning from it, and focusing on other things that will allow him to regain his status as Annointed Blade.

5. I think the Lady Penitent is likely to be around a long while. It's the sisters for whom I worry now.

6. Vhaeraun now has a Greater Goddess for a mother and his scheming has done some damage to the otherwise loving mother-son bond. I think his hands are full and Inthracis is the least of his concerns. Besides, Inthracis intends to lay low and hopefully convince a distracted Vhaeraun that he died at Pharaun's hands before the City of the Spider Queen. He did his best, after all. That should satisfy the Masked Lord. Right? Right?

7. Can't speak to Selvetarm. His story was one that I did not want to tell in this book (there were too many plot threads to wrap up as it was; he really was tangential).

Whew!

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 19 Apr 2005 21:24:05
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4277 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  22:26:07  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

suggest there is something more to divine rank than simply the number of worshippers.

This has been clearly indicated already, that it is not just numbers of followers. However no clear guidelines exist. Degree of devotion certainly was indicated as a factor, others unstated might include value of sacarfices, perhaps power of clergy, perhaps AO rulling dice? *shrugs*
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  22:36:00  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

However no clear guidelines exist.

And IMO that is a decidedly good thing.
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  23:34:56  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage  Send Ethriel an AOL message Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
....Lady Penitent is THAT powerful? Hooo boy...and personally, I'd figure Vhaeraun as the type of guy to grab the nearest thing and simply destroy it when he's mad...Yeah, I can see your point on poor Inthra surviving, albeit if Vhaeraun wants someone to blame...somehow I doubt the excuse 'I tried my best' ever flies with any Drow God but Eilistraee.

And while Nimor might not seem the type to carry a grudge, his lifelong goal has been to topple the Lolth society...he's even formed an alliance with a certain Cambion to his own ends. While he's too professional to carry grudges, he's a man with a plan. And an assuredly dangerous one at that...Grudge or no, Nimor is a dangerous opponent to any city, considering a point in their fall could mean nothing but good for him, and Menzoberranzan is the greatest prize of all

So, if you can say: What did happen to Selvetarm? From Extinction, we know he's alive, but if papa is missing a hand, then sonny-boy can't be doing too well

Edited by - Ethriel on 23 Apr 2005 17:59:31
Go to Top of Page

elven_songstress
Learned Scribe

126 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2005 :  19:59:41  Show Profile  Visit elven_songstress's Homepage Send elven_songstress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Lol* I loved the Masked Lord and Mask there's constant debate in our group weither the two are the same I know its not true but I love how you portrayed him.

Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2005 :  11:49:06  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul: I just had a look at Midnight Mask's cover art and I was wondering if you could comment on it and if you could reveal what the artifact at the bottom left of the book.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000