Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2004 :  04:56:24  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Speaking of which... How/Where do we submit new emoticons for inclusion on the boards? I had one that would have been perfect in my earlier post.

I'd email a moderator. That way Alaundo or Tethoril can tell you in private if they are interested in such a submission.
Go to Top of Page

Phobos
Seeker

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2004 :  17:41:57  Show Profile  Visit Phobos's Homepage Send Phobos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
another trilogy!? *jumping around the room cheering*

wow these past few days are getting better and better. first i get to go to the olympic games and now this!! and the best bit was, i got to read "another name for dawn" yesterday... WOW!! i absolutely loved it! are you still thinking of using westgate for the upcoming novels? (if only you could see me on my knees in begging position... ) there are so many little bits that could enrich these novels. of course i don't know yet what happens in your next book so... but some westgate links would be perfect. in that case, inserting "another name for dawn" in the first novel would be a good idea, as it is dragon is a b**ch to find! and it's a pitty if people haven't read it yet.

by the way... "too long in the dark" was yours as well! completely missed that fact! i'll stop boring you and just keep the "i loved it" for myself!

cheers

phobos

PS oh one more thing... dawn... erevos... erevis... is that intended? eventhough erevos does not mean dawn the link is to strong to ignore.

Edited by - Phobos on 06 Sep 2004 17:45:24
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2004 :  16:34:04  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For those interested, I have started a weblog, which will double as my website for providing updated information regarding my writing.

You can find it here: http://www.livejournal.com/users/paulskemp/
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2004 :  16:35:32  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phobos

PS oh one more thing... dawn... erevos... erevis... is that intended? eventhough erevos does not mean dawn the link is to strong to ignore.

Phobos,

An unintended but happy coincidence. Possibly I was drawing on the Jungian collective consciousness when I came up with it?
Go to Top of Page

Phobos
Seeker

Germany
19 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2004 :  16:55:49  Show Profile  Visit Phobos's Homepage Send Phobos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp
An unintended but happy coincidence. Possibly I was drawing on the Jungian collective consciousness when I came up with it?

seems so... :) by the way...good thing that log... and congrats for your kinds. may you enjoy them and good health to them, as we say in greece. :)

*possible spoiler*

by the way... (as a note i haven't started your trilogy yet. don't like doing that with a book missing, so don't know if this has happened already) do you intend to keep jeldis alive? if the masks found out about erevis' trick and he managed to survive their wrath, i'd be well pissed off, if i were in his shoes! (of course, as billy connolly says, before you judge a man walk a mile in his shoes. after that... who cares, you are a mile away and you've got his shoes!:) i just wanted to say that, i know it's irrelevant! :))
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2004 :  16:26:01  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Phobos,

The fate of Jeldis is unknown. Perhaps if and when Cale returns to Westgate (he does not in the trilogy), he can look his old "friend" up.
Go to Top of Page

jameslt0
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2004 :  14:56:19  Show Profile  Visit jameslt0's Homepage  Send jameslt0 an AOL message  Send jameslt0 an ICQ Message  Click to see jameslt0's MSN Messenger address  Send jameslt0 a Yahoo! Message Send jameslt0 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only thing I want to know about book VI of War of the Spider Queen: Does Halisstra die?

James
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2004 :  18:20:19  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage  Click to see Lord Rad's MSN Messenger address Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jameslt0

The only thing I want to know about book VI of War of the Spider Queen: Does Halisstra die?

James

Er....I doubt that will get answered here James!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

jameslt0
Seeker

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2004 :  12:40:55  Show Profile  Visit jameslt0's Homepage  Send jameslt0 an AOL message  Send jameslt0 an ICQ Message  Click to see jameslt0's MSN Messenger address  Send jameslt0 a Yahoo! Message Send jameslt0 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Never hurts to ask. Besides, all I want is yes or no. I don't need detailed account

James
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2004 :  17:49:18  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jameslt0

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

Never hurts to ask. Besides, all I want is yes or no. I don't need detailed account

James

Rad is correct, James. I can't answer that.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2004 :  18:15:39  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe we should do this the other way round.

It would be very kind of you, if you let Danifae, Lolth and a few evil drow survive book VI of the War of the Spider Queen series.

Danifae is one of the more archetypical yet non-to-chaotic and mad drow and I like the way Valas does his business as well. Those charas should stay there for some time to come, I hope.

IMHO, any success Halisstra would have regarding her sword would be a major let-down, especially if one considers the actual powers of a deity (not to mention those who would guard her). But that's just me.

I do hope as well that Erevis Cale will see some more adventures, since he has quickly moved up to one of the top novel characters on the FR horizon, again in my humble opinion.

All the best, Zanan.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

G a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faern, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2004 :  22:05:55  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, Paul.

I just read the Soulbound and I must say I liked how you described
the feelings of the servants of Mask who realized they had no hope to escape. The shadow dragon certainly had more personality here than in the Twilight Falling.
Was the Soulbound already written before you started the Cale trilogy or
did you quickly write it up for the Realms of Dragons?

"Death to the enemies of Bane."
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4274 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2004 :  23:48:18  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I certainly do not know the answer, however should Halisstra die this might be a temporay situation (with all the ways to restore to life). Of course he might appear to die and not realy get killed.
Now 2hom it would be interesting to see die a final death is Lolth, may the light take her, oh I mean a final one or at least drop in divine rank.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2004 :  01:43:31  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal
Now 2hom it would be interesting to see die a final death is Lolth, may the light take her, oh I mean a final one or at least drop in divine rank.

From your lips to WOTC's ears...
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2004 :  14:51:10  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lauzoril

Greetings, Paul.

I just read the Soulbound and I must say I liked how you described
the feelings of the servants of Mask who realized they had no hope to escape. The shadow dragon certainly had more personality here than in the Twilight Falling.
Was the Soulbound already written before you started the Cale trilogy or
did you quickly write it up for the Realms of Dragons?

Lauzoril,

I wrote "Soulbound" after the Cale books, but I had the rudiments of the story kicking around in my brain while I wrote the Cale books.

And I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2005 :  12:53:09  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Mr.Kemp.

First of all, i have to join the collective roar of satisfaction with the 2 books in the cale trilogy so far. excellent storytelling dude! you really know how to draw a person into the pages. You create such believable characters! On the second book, i found myself turning page after page into the long hours of the night, and kept on reading until i had one hour left to go to work!
now, enough hailing, the questions:

1.Jak Fleet. Was this little rascal alwayas intended to be like the concience of Erevis? some form of Lawful anker to hold him in check? or was this just a coincidence?

2.>>>>>SPOILER ALERT<<<<<<
-
-
-
-
-
Erevis cale, turned into a shade. was this an original idea when you started writing the trilogy, or also just a coincidence? (it worked admirably)

Cheers, Stig.

ps. happy new year to all!

Edited by - Elfinblade on 06 Jan 2005 13:00:44
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2005 :  17:10:31  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found the following on Paul Kemp's Live Journal

quote:

I'm authorized to reveal that I will be contributing a story to a new WotC anthology that will be tied to Richard Baker's "The Last Mythal" trilogy. The stories in the anthology (obviously) will be related to elves. I'm not allowed to say much more at this point but I've seen the author line-up and I'm honored to be in their company.

I believe the anthology is scheduled for release in February of '06, probably a few months after the release date for Book II in Rich Baker's "The Last Mythal" trilogy.

So, that's two authors I know of that are contributing. Who else is going to fess up?

Wonderful news to hear and I look forward to reading Paul S Kemp's story.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2005 :  17:39:38  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

1.Jak Fleet. Was this little rascal alwayas intended to be like the concience of Erevis? some form of Lawful anker to hold him in check? or was this just a coincidence?

Elfinblade,

I'm delighted you've enjoyed the Cale stories. Thanks for posting.

To answer your question: I had always intended Cale to sit on a moral continuum between Jak and Riven. So yes, Jak was designed to be a kind of external conscience to Cale. In practice, Jak and Riven tend to pull Cale toward thier respective moral extremes, while Cale tends to pull both of them back toward the center. That dynamic is fun to write.

quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

2.>>>>>SPOILER ALERT<<<<<<-
Erevis cale, turned into a shade. was this an original idea when you started writing the trilogy, or also just a coincidence? (it worked admirably)

From my original conception of the character, I had always intended Cale to become (spoilers masked) both a priest of Mask and, eventually, a shade. I was concerned that my editors might pull the plug on the idea after I learned of the storyline in the Return of the Archwizards series. Thankfully, they let me proceed.

It's been interesting to explore how that kind of transformation affects the psychology of the character, as opposed to the mechanical aspects, which is what we gamers often fall into doing (as in, man Cale''s tough now! Look at the cool abilties he's just gained). Cale *is* tough now (or, more precisely, tougher), but imagine how it would actually feel if tomorrow youlost your humanity, realized that all your friends would age and die before your eyes, that many people would regard you with suspicion and fear, that the way in which you view the universe and the way the people in it view you had changed in an eyeblink, and not for the better. That would be a heavy burden, I think.

Anyway, I'm off on a tangent. In short, I love writing the Cale stories and I'm pleased you've enjoyed them so far. There's much more to come even after Midnight's Mask (a second trilogy will follow the first, featuring the survivors of the first).

Paul

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 06 Jan 2005 17:46:47
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2005 :  15:07:45  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me just say that I devoured the short story from Realms of Dragons (nice tie-in by the way), Halls of Stormweather, Shadow's Witness, Dawn of Night, and Twilight Falling, in a non-stop, drive my wife crazy marathon of reading. I could not stop reading about Cale. He is such an interesting character. His relationship with Jak and Riven is incredible. The symbolism of Stormweather and his life as a butler, first seen as the "new Cale", later came to represent the good man that he knew he could never really be. I think another thing about Cale that fascinates me is that (at least I feel that) his heart is good, but his hands do evil. He is the good guy that does what has to be done.
As for Jak, he is such a cool little guy. I am starting to worry a little though. If Jak succumbs to the evil that he is constantly in contact with, the moral center of the books will be gone.
I was so mad when Jak and Cale did not kill Riven when they had the chance, I hated him so much, he just oozed off the page. Then later, I started o see him in a different light, and I began to like him a little. As the story goes on, and his relationship with Jak develops, I really love the guy. Plus he's usch a total bad-ass, you can't help but like him (dog scene in Skullport). Then, you ***SPOILER HIDDEN***go and have him gut Cale and side with the Slaad, which I totally should have seen coming, but didn't. Once I got over my anger, I actually laughed out loud at having been "gotten." But now, I'm so screwed up, I began to think that he and Cale planned that too!I can't wait for the next book!
Okay, let me get to my questions
Referring to the spoiler I included, had you planned that from early on?
What alignment would Cale be in game terms? Good-Evil? Chaotic Awesome? ;)
Was Mags and after-thought? I know Riven had mentioned the "guide" early on in the book, but he just seemed to well-developed for you to have just thrown in there. He's another great character, was he intended to represent Cale's loss of humanity? Riven- Cale's evil side, Jak- Cale's conscience/goodness, Mags- Cale's detachment from humanity? Something to that effect?

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2005 :  19:58:32  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

Let me just say that I devoured the short story from Realms of Dragons (nice tie-in by the way), Halls of Stormweather, Shadow's Witness, Dawn of Night, and Twilight Falling, in a non-stop, drive my wife crazy marathon of reading.

Xysma, that's really great to hear. Have you had HoS and SW for a while, or did you pick them up recently? I ask because some readers who have started with the Cale trilogy have had some difficulty going back and finding HoS and SW in bookstores. Just curious.

quote:

I think another thing about Cale that fascinates me is that (at least I feel that) his heart is good, but his hands do evil. He is the good guy that does what has to be done.

There's quite a vigorous debate going on about Cale's character over at the RAS boards. Here's a link, if you're interested: http://p197.ezboard.com/frasalvatoreforumsfrm8.showMessageRange?topicID=712.topic&start=81&stop=89 I've got a Q&A thread there, too. Just an FYI.

quote:

Okay, let me get to my questions
Referring to the spoiler I included, had you planned that from early on?
What alignment would Cale be in game terms? Good-Evil? Chaotic Awesome? ;)
Was Mags and after-thought? I know Riven had mentioned the "guide" early on in the book, but he just seemed to well-developed for you to have just thrown in there. He's another great character, was he intended to represent Cale's loss of humanity? Riven- Cale's evil side, Jak- Cale's conscience/goodness, Mags- Cale's detachment from humanity? Something to that effect?

Wow. Those are great questions. In order:

1. Absolutely. If you look back at Riven's interaction with Azriim in the tavern in Skullport, you'll see the seeds of it there.

2. Alignment is a tough thing for me. It's just too blunt a tool to serve any useful purpose. People are complex. Motives are complex. It's true that many things can be characterized as universally good or universally evil, but the great majority of human interaction falls between that and is context dependent. That's why I have such a hard time sticking an alignment tag on Cale. Like all of us, he lives most of his life facing those in-between types of situations.

Still, if I had to stick him with an alignment, I'd say something like, true neutral (but obviously not in the "preserve the balance," kind of way) with good tendencies (but with formerly bad tendencies). Maybe we should invent a new character sheet that has a whole paragraph for alignment, rather than a single line?

3. Mags was definitely not an afterthought and I'm glad he doesn't come across that way. Among other things, Mags is a bit of a fellow traveller for Cale. Both struggle with what they are and what, if anything, that means for their respective fates. He serves as an example of how a man's character is defined not by external characteristics but by the nature of his soul.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  20:15:48  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Have you had HoS and SW for a while, or did you pick them up recently? I ask because some readers who have started with the Cale trilogy have had some difficulty going back and finding HoS and SW in bookstores.

Amazon! It has been my salvation for oop Forgotten Realms books.

I agree with you about the alignment question, it's easier to apply that to game terms than to a character with as much depth as Cale. I really just wondered if it had crossed your mind, and where you'd put him if you had to. Actually, I pegged him as true neutral as well.

By the way, have I missed any Cale stories? I've read Realms of Dragons, Halls of Stormweather, Shadow's Witness, Dawn of Night, and Twilight Falling

Xysma's Gallery

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  20:19:16  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just realized that Mags is the "Lando Calrissian" of the Erevis Cale trilogy. No wonder he's so cool.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  20:21:10  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]

By the way, have I missed any Cale stories? I've read Realms of Dragons, Halls of Stormweather, Shadow's Witness, Dawn of Night, and Twilight Falling

Xysma,

There were two Cale short stories in issues of Dragon Magazine:

"Another Name for Dawn," in Dragon 277; and
"All the Sinners Saints," in Dragon 297.

Both are still available for order through the Paizo site, I believe, which is located at www.paizo.com

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  21:45:15  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Paul, I've got both of those issues, I'll read them tonight.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5571 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  10:13:26  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Paul, I've got both of those issues, I'll read them tonight.

Well met

Be sure to return forthwith with thy thoughts on the stories

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page