Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2005 :  12:53:09  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Mr.Kemp.

First of all, i have to join the collective roar of satisfaction with the 2 books in the cale trilogy so far. excellent storytelling dude! you really know how to draw a person into the pages. You create such believable characters! On the second book, i found myself turning page after page into the long hours of the night, and kept on reading until i had one hour left to go to work!
now, enough hailing, the questions:

1.Jak Fleet. Was this little rascal alwayas intended to be like the concience of Erevis? some form of Lawful anker to hold him in check? or was this just a coincidence?

2.>>>>>SPOILER ALERT<<<<<<
-
-
-
-
-
Erevis cale, turned into a shade. was this an original idea when you started writing the trilogy, or also just a coincidence? (it worked admirably)

Cheers, Stig.

ps. happy new year to all!

Edited by - Elfinblade on 06 Jan 2005 13:00:44
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2005 :  17:10:31  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found the following on Paul Kemp's Live Journal

quote:

I'm authorized to reveal that I will be contributing a story to a new WotC anthology that will be tied to Richard Baker's "The Last Mythal" trilogy. The stories in the anthology (obviously) will be related to elves. I'm not allowed to say much more at this point but I've seen the author line-up and I'm honored to be in their company.

I believe the anthology is scheduled for release in February of '06, probably a few months after the release date for Book II in Rich Baker's "The Last Mythal" trilogy.

So, that's two authors I know of that are contributing. Who else is going to fess up?

Wonderful news to hear and I look forward to reading Paul S Kemp's story.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2005 :  17:39:38  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

1.Jak Fleet. Was this little rascal alwayas intended to be like the concience of Erevis? some form of Lawful anker to hold him in check? or was this just a coincidence?

Elfinblade,

I'm delighted you've enjoyed the Cale stories. Thanks for posting.

To answer your question: I had always intended Cale to sit on a moral continuum between Jak and Riven. So yes, Jak was designed to be a kind of external conscience to Cale. In practice, Jak and Riven tend to pull Cale toward thier respective moral extremes, while Cale tends to pull both of them back toward the center. That dynamic is fun to write.

quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

2.>>>>>SPOILER ALERT<<<<<<-
Erevis cale, turned into a shade. was this an original idea when you started writing the trilogy, or also just a coincidence? (it worked admirably)

From my original conception of the character, I had always intended Cale to become (spoilers masked) both a priest of Mask and, eventually, a shade. I was concerned that my editors might pull the plug on the idea after I learned of the storyline in the Return of the Archwizards series. Thankfully, they let me proceed.

It's been interesting to explore how that kind of transformation affects the psychology of the character, as opposed to the mechanical aspects, which is what we gamers often fall into doing (as in, man Cale''s tough now! Look at the cool abilties he's just gained). Cale *is* tough now (or, more precisely, tougher), but imagine how it would actually feel if tomorrow youlost your humanity, realized that all your friends would age and die before your eyes, that many people would regard you with suspicion and fear, that the way in which you view the universe and the way the people in it view you had changed in an eyeblink, and not for the better. That would be a heavy burden, I think.

Anyway, I'm off on a tangent. In short, I love writing the Cale stories and I'm pleased you've enjoyed them so far. There's much more to come even after Midnight's Mask (a second trilogy will follow the first, featuring the survivors of the first).

Paul

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 06 Jan 2005 17:46:47
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2005 :  15:07:45  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let me just say that I devoured the short story from Realms of Dragons (nice tie-in by the way), Halls of Stormweather, Shadow's Witness, Dawn of Night, and Twilight Falling, in a non-stop, drive my wife crazy marathon of reading. I could not stop reading about Cale. He is such an interesting character. His relationship with Jak and Riven is incredible. The symbolism of Stormweather and his life as a butler, first seen as the "new Cale", later came to represent the good man that he knew he could never really be. I think another thing about Cale that fascinates me is that (at least I feel that) his heart is good, but his hands do evil. He is the good guy that does what has to be done.
As for Jak, he is such a cool little guy. I am starting to worry a little though. If Jak succumbs to the evil that he is constantly in contact with, the moral center of the books will be gone.
I was so mad when Jak and Cale did not kill Riven when they had the chance, I hated him so much, he just oozed off the page. Then later, I started o see him in a different light, and I began to like him a little. As the story goes on, and his relationship with Jak develops, I really love the guy. Plus he's usch a total bad-ass, you can't help but like him (dog scene in Skullport). Then, you ***SPOILER HIDDEN***go and have him gut Cale and side with the Slaad, which I totally should have seen coming, but didn't. Once I got over my anger, I actually laughed out loud at having been "gotten." But now, I'm so screwed up, I began to think that he and Cale planned that too!I can't wait for the next book!
Okay, let me get to my questions
Referring to the spoiler I included, had you planned that from early on?
What alignment would Cale be in game terms? Good-Evil? Chaotic Awesome? ;)
Was Mags and after-thought? I know Riven had mentioned the "guide" early on in the book, but he just seemed to well-developed for you to have just thrown in there. He's another great character, was he intended to represent Cale's loss of humanity? Riven- Cale's evil side, Jak- Cale's conscience/goodness, Mags- Cale's detachment from humanity? Something to that effect?

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2005 :  19:58:32  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

Let me just say that I devoured the short story from Realms of Dragons (nice tie-in by the way), Halls of Stormweather, Shadow's Witness, Dawn of Night, and Twilight Falling, in a non-stop, drive my wife crazy marathon of reading.

Xysma, that's really great to hear. Have you had HoS and SW for a while, or did you pick them up recently? I ask because some readers who have started with the Cale trilogy have had some difficulty going back and finding HoS and SW in bookstores. Just curious.

quote:

I think another thing about Cale that fascinates me is that (at least I feel that) his heart is good, but his hands do evil. He is the good guy that does what has to be done.

There's quite a vigorous debate going on about Cale's character over at the RAS boards. Here's a link, if you're interested: http://p197.ezboard.com/frasalvatoreforumsfrm8.showMessageRange?topicID=712.topic&start=81&stop=89 I've got a Q&A thread there, too. Just an FYI.

quote:

Okay, let me get to my questions
Referring to the spoiler I included, had you planned that from early on?
What alignment would Cale be in game terms? Good-Evil? Chaotic Awesome? ;)
Was Mags and after-thought? I know Riven had mentioned the "guide" early on in the book, but he just seemed to well-developed for you to have just thrown in there. He's another great character, was he intended to represent Cale's loss of humanity? Riven- Cale's evil side, Jak- Cale's conscience/goodness, Mags- Cale's detachment from humanity? Something to that effect?

Wow. Those are great questions. In order:

1. Absolutely. If you look back at Riven's interaction with Azriim in the tavern in Skullport, you'll see the seeds of it there.

2. Alignment is a tough thing for me. It's just too blunt a tool to serve any useful purpose. People are complex. Motives are complex. It's true that many things can be characterized as universally good or universally evil, but the great majority of human interaction falls between that and is context dependent. That's why I have such a hard time sticking an alignment tag on Cale. Like all of us, he lives most of his life facing those in-between types of situations.

Still, if I had to stick him with an alignment, I'd say something like, true neutral (but obviously not in the "preserve the balance," kind of way) with good tendencies (but with formerly bad tendencies). Maybe we should invent a new character sheet that has a whole paragraph for alignment, rather than a single line?

3. Mags was definitely not an afterthought and I'm glad he doesn't come across that way. Among other things, Mags is a bit of a fellow traveller for Cale. Both struggle with what they are and what, if anything, that means for their respective fates. He serves as an example of how a man's character is defined not by external characteristics but by the nature of his soul.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  20:15:48  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Have you had HoS and SW for a while, or did you pick them up recently? I ask because some readers who have started with the Cale trilogy have had some difficulty going back and finding HoS and SW in bookstores.

Amazon! It has been my salvation for oop Forgotten Realms books.

I agree with you about the alignment question, it's easier to apply that to game terms than to a character with as much depth as Cale. I really just wondered if it had crossed your mind, and where you'd put him if you had to. Actually, I pegged him as true neutral as well.

By the way, have I missed any Cale stories? I've read Realms of Dragons, Halls of Stormweather, Shadow's Witness, Dawn of Night, and Twilight Falling

Xysma's Gallery

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  20:19:16  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just realized that Mags is the "Lando Calrissian" of the Erevis Cale trilogy. No wonder he's so cool.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2005 :  20:21:10  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]

By the way, have I missed any Cale stories? I've read Realms of Dragons, Halls of Stormweather, Shadow's Witness, Dawn of Night, and Twilight Falling

Xysma,

There were two Cale short stories in issues of Dragon Magazine:

"Another Name for Dawn," in Dragon 277; and
"All the Sinners Saints," in Dragon 297.

Both are still available for order through the Paizo site, I believe, which is located at www.paizo.com

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2005 :  21:45:15  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Paul, I've got both of those issues, I'll read them tonight.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  10:13:26  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Paul, I've got both of those issues, I'll read them tonight.

Well met

Be sure to return forthwith with thy thoughts on the stories

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2005 :  06:47:37  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Be sure to return forthwith with thy thoughts on the stories

Well, I discovered that I'm missing Dragon 277, but I did read "And All the Sinners Saints" from 297. I don't know how I missed that story, that's one of my favorite issues of Dragon. Anyway, yet another excellent story. I wish I had read this in its proper place between Shadow's Witness and Twilight Falling. This story did a great job of setting up the new relationship between Cale and Riven, and I think *spoiler hidden* foreshadowed Riven's ultimate betrayal of Cale more than Twilight Falling and Dawn of Night.The only thing that troubled me about the TF and DoN was that I felt that Mask was betrayed as less evil than I think the god of assassins really is, of course he was portrayed in much the same way in the Avatar books as well. In this story, Mask's manipulation and trickery is evident. I also really like the way Cale's relationship with Mask is portrayed. Cale takes Jak's words to heart, and doesn't lose himself to his god. Also, the full page spread of Cale and Riven is excellent.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2005 :  04:07:43  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Paul.You are going to be writing another trilogy with Cale now.Plus you state that it will be an RSE(Realms Shaking Event).For those who don't know what an RSE is.How do you feel about writing a RSE?Do you think that Cale has reached that magnitude?Do you think that you are ready to write a RSE?Well I feel that you will be lights out,but how do you feel about changing the realms whether it's for the good or the bad?

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2005 :  15:14:09  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally found a backissue of 277 and read "Another Name for Dawn" Another excellent story. Many of my questions answered, great origin story.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2005 :  08:48:30  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those scribes not following this author's blog, you might wish to take note of the following entry he recently had:

quote:

Midnight's Mask Completed
I finished Midnight's Mask today. It feels both good and strange. Good because I'm done; and strange because I'm done. Midnight's Mask represents an ending for the Cale trilogy characters. Note: *An ending,* but not *the ending,* at least not for all of the group. I'm pleased that I'll get to visit in the next trilogy with those who made it through this one.

Meanwhile, I will take a few weeks off and then turn to my story for Realms of Elves.

"those who made it through this one..." translation, it's just Cale. He's the Dirty Harry of the Realms, no one needs to be his partner or stand near him.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2005 :  16:36:38  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Those who made it through",huh???Interesting to say the least.Cale being the Dirty Harry is a laugher.Good one SB!!!!!

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2005 :  18:25:50  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to congratulate you Mr.Kemp for your splendid Cale books. Oh, and(leans in and whispers)Would there be any chance of Loith being killed or at least grieviously wounded and demoted from greater god(or whatever she is)to a lesser rank?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Weiser_Cain
Seeker

87 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2005 :  01:05:52  Show Profile  Visit Weiser_Cain's Homepage Send Weiser_Cain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's Lloth, and if anything she should gain some divine levels after what she's doing in war of the spider queen...

I'm always the Wizard!
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2005 :  15:45:52  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Weiser_Cain

That's Lloth, and if anything she should gain some divine levels after what she's doing in war of the spider queen...

Well, I can see from your picture where you stand on this issue............

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

elven_songstress
Learned Scribe

126 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  00:34:56  Show Profile  Visit elven_songstress's Homepage Send elven_songstress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually it could be a powerplay (and likely is ) On Lloth's Part so I still think it might be 50/50 on weither she gains or looses something.

We need to be reminded sometimes that a sunrise lasts but a few minutes,but its beauty can burnin our hearts eternally."
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2005 :  00:58:18  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Finally found a backissue of 277 and read "Another Name for Dawn" Another excellent story. Many of my questions answered, great origin story.

Yes, fine FR issue was Dragon #277. Had a pretty decent "Bazaar of the Bizarre" article IIRC ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2005 :  01:52:25  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Kemp, when is the last book in the Erevis Cale trilogy, Midnight's Mask, going to be released? I checked WotC and all they say is 2005. The reason I ask is that I wanted to buy that and also Resurrection, and I wish to purchase the two novels together at the local bookstore.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2005 :  04:12:18  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Mr. Kemp, when is the last book in the Erevis Cale trilogy, Midnight's Mask, going to be released? I checked WotC and all they say is 2005.

November 2005 is the release date I have seen.
Go to Top of Page

elven_songstress
Learned Scribe

126 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2005 :  06:27:20  Show Profile  Visit elven_songstress's Homepage Send elven_songstress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to thank Paul on a well written (if not gruesome) final book.
Also, for giving me a reason to actually feel something other then utter detestment for a certain Alu-fiend

We need to be reminded sometimes that a sunrise lasts but a few minutes,but its beauty can burnin our hearts eternally."
Go to Top of Page

Arcanum
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  18:59:46  Show Profile  Visit Arcanum's Homepage Send Arcanum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Kemp, thank you for giving us the Resurrection, it's a great novel.

I've read the interview on WotC site, you said that you will be working on a sequel trilogy to the Erevis Cale Trilogy, which featuring a Realms-Shaking Event.

If you think it's ok, could you give us a few hints of that Realms-Shaking Event? If it's too early to talk about that, maybe in the future i think?

Again, thanks for your great book.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  00:57:18  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Songstress and Arcanum,

Thank you both.
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  16:06:02  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything to tell us about Midnight's Mask, Pauk? Juicy tidbits and soforth? (I consider Azriim one of the best villains in FR, and I'm betting I'll like Vhostym more coming up)

And I loved Ressurection myself (Recently arrived and read!) Though I have to say AND ask:

You left a lot open...think there's the chance we'll see Pharaun, Halisstra and Dyrr again one day?

the way you got into the minds of the characters was brilliant, though I found myself getting weepy at the end with Pharaun...I want to compliment you for your brilliant work and say: "I hope it's not over yet" with Pharaun, Dyrr, Nimor, Vhok, the Baenres and Halisstra! (Don't let it die! Still so much left!)

And I'll be one of the first to get Midnight's Mask!
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  16:35:50  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

Anything to tell us about Midnight's Mask, Pauk? Juicy tidbits and soforth? (I consider Azriim one of the best villains in FR, and I'm betting I'll like Vhostym more coming up)

And I loved Ressurection myself (Recently arrived and read!) Though I have to say AND ask:

You left a lot open...think there's the chance we'll see Pharaun, Halisstra and Dyrr again one day?

the way you got into the minds of the characters was brilliant, though I found myself getting weepy at the end with Pharaun...I want to compliment you for your brilliant work and say: "I hope it's not over yet" with Pharaun, Dyrr, Nimor, Vhok, the Baenres and Halisstra! (Don't let it die! Still so much left!)

And I'll be one of the first to get Midnight's Mask!

Thanks, Ethriel. Most appreciated.

I don't know for certain whether there will be a return to some of the characters from WotSQ, but, given their popularity, I would not be surprised.

As for Midnight's Mask, it's hard to drop too much in the way of hints. I'll tell you that I think it's the best book of the Cale trilogy. It starts fast, continues faster, and ends.... Well, I'm as happy with the end of that book as any book I've ever written. I think it will surprise you.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  18:40:17  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

I'll tell you that I think it's the best book of the Cale trilogy.

Wow To be honest, I never thought that Dawn of Night would come close to Twilight Falling, but it was fantastic. I'm not sure I can actually cope with reading Midnight's Mask after your statement here ARGH!

VERY excited about this book. This trilogy is in my top 5 FR series of all time.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  20:54:43  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, you do realize this will mean I have to track you down and steal the manuscript, right? At least my birthday's in November...

Now, a few questions:

SPOILERS FOR WotSQ book 6: Resurrection:

How did Lolth actually become a Greater Goddess?

Why did Mel Odom bow out of the project?

Would you like to see more of the WOTSQ characters like Pharaun or Dyrr? (You broke my heart with the former...my poor heart...) and Nimor continuing his shadow war against Menzoberranzan?

Do you think Lady Penitent might get put down mighty quick? she's bound to attract the attention of a certain Chosen Drow...and her six sisters...and one said sister's hubby...

And how long's Inthracis gonna last now? Vhaeraun cannot be too happy about this turn of events...which reminds me: How's Selvetarm doing? Any major damage sustained from his daddy?

You've become one of my all time favorite realms authors, Paul, keep up the great work! (With both Erevis AND the Drow!) And thanks for the answers, mate!

Edited by - Ethriel on 19 Apr 2005 20:57:52
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2005 :  21:20:54  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ethriel,

Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to answer some of these questions. No doubt later products will handle most of them. I'll do what I can. Here goes (SPOILERS FOR RESURRECTION):

1. How Lolth became a greater goddess.

I can only speculate but the fact that Lolth is greater now than before does suggest there is something more to divine rank than simply the number of worshippers. This makes some sense. If Lolth was powered purely by number of worshippers, it would make little sense for her to encourage the kind of internecine house warfare that she does. After all, every obliterated house represents worshippers lost. Perhaps there are a multitude of factors that contribute to a deity's power, including, possibly, the molding and ultimate melding with an exemplar of the faith (in this case, the Yor'thae), or the risking of the divine existence on a ploy that embodies the very ethos of the god (as happened with Lolth here).

2. I don't know why Mel backed out.

3. As a reader, I'd like to see more of some of the WotSQ characters. Don't know if that will happen or not. We can hope, though, right?

4. My take on Nimor is this: I think he's too utilitarian to long carry a grudge. I could see him leaving his failure in Menzo behind, learning from it, and focusing on other things that will allow him to regain his status as Annointed Blade.

5. I think the Lady Penitent is likely to be around a long while. It's the sisters for whom I worry now.

6. Vhaeraun now has a Greater Goddess for a mother and his scheming has done some damage to the otherwise loving mother-son bond. I think his hands are full and Inthracis is the least of his concerns. Besides, Inthracis intends to lay low and hopefully convince a distracted Vhaeraun that he died at Pharaun's hands before the City of the Spider Queen. He did his best, after all. That should satisfy the Masked Lord. Right? Right?

7. Can't speak to Selvetarm. His story was one that I did not want to tell in this book (there were too many plot threads to wrap up as it was; he really was tangential).

Whew!

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 19 Apr 2005 21:24:05
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000