Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1768 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  16:24:20  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Elric, I suspect, is just about everyone's favorite Moorcock character where sword and sorcery is concerned.

As I imagine Entromancer knows, the Cornelius novels were part of SF's "New Wave," for which Moorcock was one of the standard bearers. Because I'm an old guy, I remember the New Wave when it was happening and all the lovers of traditional SF who were appalled by it. Looking back, I'd say that a lot of New Wave books were failed experiments that don't hold up well (I'm not referring to the Cornelius novels here), but the movement as a whole opened up the field and benefited it tremendously. I'm not sure we've had anything since that produced a comparable effect. To my mind, cyberpunk was nowhere near as big a deal.
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2013 :  21:49:23  Show Profile  Click to see jornan's MSN Messenger address Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, a few qestions:

1.I would love to know how much of this book was already written and how much had to be reworked because of the Sundering, or if it was just tweaked to fit? Did you have a contingency plan in place to bring back Mask or Cale all along, like RAS did with Iruladoon?

2.Can you tell us ANYTHING about what your next Cale/Vasen story will be?

3. Will we find out more about Orsin's history? Is he a character that we, the readers, have met before or were his past lives off stage?

4. Someone else asked this somewhere else, but I never saw a response, Did you know Riven would become Mask all along or did you flip flop at all with Cale?
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2013 :  13:37:47  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jornan

Paul, a few qestions:

1.I would love to know how much of this book was already written and how much had to be reworked because of the Sundering, or if it was just tweaked to fit? Did you have a contingency plan in place to bring back Mask or Cale all along, like RAS did with Iruladoon?

2.Can you tell us ANYTHING about what your next Cale/Vasen story will be?

3. Will we find out more about Orsin's history? Is he a character that we, the readers, have met before or were his past lives off stage?

4. Someone else asked this somewhere else, but I never saw a response, Did you know Riven would become Mask all along or did you flip flop at all with Cale?




I'd say 60-70% was more or less written. I did plan to bring Mask back all along (hence his final thoughts in SHADOWREALM). It all just seemed to fit the vibe of The Sundering so well that I made a pitch to include this story as part of it, then just made a few tweaks and wrote the rest.

I can't say anything about the next Cale/Vasen books. I've outlined the next one and the outline is approved. Certainly I'll share more when I can.

I want to keep Orsin a bit mysterious at this point. Good questions, though!

I was uncertain about whether it would be Cale or Riven until I got to the scene. Then I knew it had to be Riven.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14037 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2013 :  16:35:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

I was uncertain about whether it would be Cale or Riven until I got to the scene. Then I knew it had to be Riven.

This seems amazing to me - its as if you aren't so much creating the story, as you are describing events you are witnessing unfold. It would appear you are just as much 'along for the ride' as the rest of us.

Cool.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone


Edited by - Markustay on 09 Oct 2013 16:35:25
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2013 :  22:47:51  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage  Click to see Alisttair's MSN Messenger address Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:
Originally posted by jornan

Paul, a few qestions:

1.I would love to know how much of this book was already written and how much had to be reworked because of the Sundering, or if it was just tweaked to fit? Did you have a contingency plan in place to bring back Mask or Cale all along, like RAS did with Iruladoon?




I'd say 60-70% was more or less written. I did plan to bring Mask back all along (hence his final thoughts in SHADOWREALM). It all just seemed to fit the vibe of The Sundering so well that I made a pitch to include this story as part of it, then just made a few tweaks and wrote the rest.




I just finished the book today. Very good. I was wondering something similar to the above. Since the book was originally supposed to be the first in a trilogy, were the events mostly written for the Godborn as originally written or was much of it planned to be spread throughout the trilogy?

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2013 :  23:31:16  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage  Click to see Alisttair's MSN Messenger address Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and on a non-realms note, what is your favorite single malt scotch? (I personally enjoy Laphroaig Quarter Cask)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  14:53:40  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Oh and on a non-realms note, what is your favorite single malt scotch? (I personally enjoy Laphroaig Quarter Cask)



Depends on my mood, honestly. An Ardbeg or Taliskers usually suits.

As for your question: I had intended to have the events of the end of THE GODBORN occur at the end of the Trilogy, but I hadn't done an outline for the then-proposed-trilogy that got me from the beginning of book one to the end of book three. And once I changed gears to fit those events into one book, I found it suited the story better.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2013 :  16:35:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hi, Paul!

Finished The Godborn last night. Loved it! Totally worth the four years' wait.

Quick questions, though (hidden spoilers):

1. Will Mask/Lessenor eventually erase Riven's memories?
2. Are Brennus and Rivalen really dead?
3. It kinda bothered me how The Most High failed to detect the Source's atrophy. Did he not place some trigger spells in/on/around it that should have enabled him to learn of its condition?
4. I like Gerak, but where did get all those arrows that seemed to be in unlimited supply?


Thank you, Paul, for sharing to us this gem of a book! A fun, memorable ride it was!

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 14 Oct 2013 16:56:26
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
799 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2013 :  23:48:06  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hehe. I had a lot of questions too!

Yikes. I had a zillion questions.

-Did you always plan to bring Cale back? Did you always plan to have riven become Mask? or did you flip flop a bit?

Cale getting killed by Meph and then smelling Jak's pipeweed.....One of the few times I ever threw a book on the floor in emotion. If a book can get me that upset over killing someone, you know I love the character lol. I am curious as to how he smelled the pipeweed at the time. Maybe mask was trying to ease him in his trial?

His return did seem rather abrupt though with not much time for chatter with his son. But I suspect the original idea was going to fit into a trilogy! lol.

Overall, The old characters were so far above the new characters in power that i can see why they had separate arcs for the most part. Cale and his son are so different as people that I can see some friction in the future.

-I am kind of assuming Riven absorbed not only the 3 fractions of divinity that Kesson Rel held(Since he was a level 0 divine being), but also as the eye shrank, a good portion of Mask's old power. So he is for all intents and purposes Mask reborn?

-Soooo. Azrrim and Tamlin in future books? lol. or possibly Inthracis? I loved the Ultraloth with clones!

I remembered this was supposed to be a trilogy and it felt like it could have been stretched into a trilogy because of the explosion of incredible amounts of awesome in the last 2/3'ds of the book. When I heard this was a trilogy(Godborn, Godbound, Godslayer I think were the names) before it got swapped, I had this idea in my head that Vasen would undergo this quest over 3 books lol. I figured he would meet up with Mags somehow and that a few new characters would join in, with Riven eventually making more and more appearances. Thought Maybe tamlin would be a first book villain(Maybe he is a bit more competent now), leading to Azrrim joining up somehow(Was on the fence about Azrrim maybe joining their party somehow. (Stranger things have happened. Like Riven's character development from superfoe to brother lol), at which point they might have to trek into the hells for Cale.

Maybe Azrrim is restless and trying to become an Epic white or Black Slaad? lol. Ill admit, I was really interested to see how Tamlin developped and to see him and a precursory villain. I suspect Cale's curiosity will get the better of him too. He is going to want to know what happened to the rest of the Uskevren after he was entombed.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2013 :  14:19:35  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm



-Did you always plan to bring Cale back? Did you always plan to have riven become Mask? or did you flip flop a bit?

Maybe mask was trying to ease him in his trial?

I am kind of assuming Riven absorbed not only the 3 fractions of divinity that Kesson Rel held(Since he was a level 0 divine being), but also as the eye shrank, a good portion of Mask's old power. So he is for all intents and purposes Mask reborn?

Soooo. Azrrim and Tamlin in future books? lol. or possibly Inthracis? I loved the Ultraloth with clones!




1. I had always wanted to leave the door open, yes, but I waffled a bit about whether to walk through. Comments from some other authors led me in the direction of bringing him back (and I was leaning that way anyway).

2. Maybe. Or maybe it was just his imagination, trying to ease him through it. Jak was always his conscience, after all, and a manifestation of that conscience at a point when Cale was doing something noble would be fitting.

3. Maybe, sure. I don't think much about these characters in terms of game stats. Anathema of good storytelling, I think.

4. You never know. :-)
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2013 :  07:59:25  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul,

after finishing The Godborn, I was wondering, if you already have any plans to continue writing on some of your Cale characters in the realms? The most obvious being Cale and Vasen?


"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
292 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2013 :  13:26:16  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Mr Kemp,
There was a discussion in the Book Club (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18453) regarding the identity of a character in chapter 1 of "The Godborn" - the "tall, gaunt man" with eyes without pupils watching Magadon getting out of his burning tavern, grinning at him and writing into a book with a quill. Can you shed some light on this?
Many thanks!
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2013 :  14:13:41  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thieran

Hello Mr Kemp,
There was a discussion in the Book Club (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18453) regarding the identity of a character in chapter 1 of "The Godborn" - the "tall, gaunt man" with eyes without pupils watching Magadon getting out of his burning tavern, grinning at him and writing into a book with a quill. Can you shed some light on this?
Many thanks!



Alas, I can't say much. Here's what I can say (and only this unfortunately): He's not a "man," and he has and/or will appear in the other Sundering novels.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 10 Dec 2013 14:14:18
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1361 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2013 :  18:55:45  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotta be Ao!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
14037 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2013 :  20:41:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading The Hammer & The Blade right now. I have to be honest - at first, I had hard time 'getting into it'. Don't know what it was exactly, but I read a few pages each night, and it wasn't grabbing me. I guess I was being a bit dismissive with it (before I even started it, I decided that the two were 'Fafrhd/Mouser knock-offs', so that may have tainted things). It may have also been the very D&D-ishness of that first chapter. Not loving how they dealt with the antagonist.

All that being said, I am glad I stuck with it, because now I can see the characters aren't as two-dimensional as they first appeared. They've got some depth to them. Also, some of your ideas (especially regarding magic) are pretty cool (love the memory eater). I have to say, your descriptive text is getting superb; you may have 'passed up' a certain someone else. I'd go so far as to say you are fast approaching Fred Saberhagen in that regard (in other words, your descriptions wax poetic). Well done indeed.

Okay, so now that I'm past the mini-review (I'm not all that far in yet), I can't help but wonder about the world itself. Any plans to develop it further? With maps, perhaps?

Love to see you turn some of your ideas into RPG rules as well.

EDIT: It may have gotten lost in the ramblings of my post, but my point was that I am now thoroughly enjoying the book, and would recommend it. It almost feels like it belongs in The Realms.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone


Edited by - Markustay on 13 Dec 2013 15:04:30
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
292 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2013 :  15:34:56  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:
Originally posted by Thieran

Hello Mr Kemp,
There was a discussion in the Book Club (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18453) regarding the identity of a character in chapter 1 of "The Godborn" - the "tall, gaunt man" with eyes without pupils watching Magadon getting out of his burning tavern, grinning at him and writing into a book with a quill. Can you shed some light on this?
Many thanks!



Alas, I can't say much. Here's what I can say (and only this unfortunately): He's not a "man," and he has and/or will appear in the other Sundering novels.



Ha, I knew it :) Thanks for sharing that - I actually do not want to know more anyway :)
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2014 :  15:53:13  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bumping this to say that I agree with Markustay. I'd like to see some RPG supplements for Egil and Nix.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2014 :  20:33:23  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

Bumping this to say that I agree with Markustay. I'd like to see some RPG supplements for Egil and Nix.



I appreciate the sentiment. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1225 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2014 :  15:17:26  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a quick question, Mr. Kemp, and a rather odd one. Do Erevis or Vasen have a favorite color that they would wear? I got their minis from GF9 and want to do something a little different in their paint scheme than is presented on the package and the book covers. I don't recall reading anything along those lines in your novels, but I could have missed it. Thank you for your time.

- Delwa Aunglor of Tangled Trees
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

My Forging the Realms Archives (Google Drive pdfs)
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2014 :  14:12:09  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

Just a quick question, Mr. Kemp, and a rather odd one. Do Erevis or Vasen have a favorite color that they would wear? I got their minis from GF9 and want to do something a little different in their paint scheme than is presented on the package and the book covers. I don't recall reading anything along those lines in your novels, but I could have missed it. Thank you for your time.



I can imagine Vasen including a splash of yellow or orange in his clothing, to reflect the noon sun/dawn, and I think that Erevis would habitually include something deep purple in his garb (aaand...cue the guitar riffs from "Smoke on the Water.") :-)
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1225 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2014 :  17:18:05  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

Just a quick question, Mr. Kemp, and a rather odd one. Do Erevis or Vasen have a favorite color that they would wear? I got their minis from GF9 and want to do something a little different in their paint scheme than is presented on the package and the book covers. I don't recall reading anything along those lines in your novels, but I could have missed it. Thank you for your time.



I can imagine Vasen including a splash of yellow or orange in his clothing, to reflect the noon sun/dawn, and I think that Erevis would habitually include something deep purple in his garb (aaand...cue the guitar riffs from "Smoke on the Water.") :-)


You always have good taste in music. :) I always imagined purple for Erevis. Thanks for taking time to answer!

- Delwa Aunglor of Tangled Trees
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

My Forging the Realms Archives (Google Drive pdfs)
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2014 :  02:54:58  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Paul,

last week I finished Egil and Nix 2: A discourse in steel.
First of all congratulations for this great book, I really loved reading it!
Especially the assault on the guild house was a total blast! Apart from being written brilliantly, it also felt like the best of dungeons crawl role playing I can imagine! Just in a more fast forward style.

The book really hooked me up and there are some questions, which are keeping me busy (SPOILERS):
1) Will we see Rose and Mere in any of the next Egil and Nix novels again?

2) Odrhaal struck me as a really complex character, who cannot easily be defined as good or bad, kind of more so than let's say the Sojourner, even though they share common traits.
I understand Nix feelings towards him at the end, but at the same time I also felt, that as a reader I could not "trust" Egil and Nix perception on Odrhaal, because apart from his not caring for anything/anyone really in a "caring" kind of way, he did appear to be pretty straight forward in his communication and actions, without being either good or bad.

So, from your perspective, what might be bad about the girls becoming his apprentices? To me, it seemed a rather attractive option. He does not appear to be a cruel master, although not a loving or caring one neither.


3) Will we see more of those old civilizations in the next novels?

4) How will Egil and Nix pay the guild, considering the mess they left?!

Thanks again and best regards!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625

Edited by - skychrome on 18 Feb 2014 02:56:13
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2014 :  18:25:29  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Hello Paul,

last week I finished Egil and Nix 2: A discourse in steel.
First of all congratulations for this great book, I really loved reading it!
Especially the assault on the guild house was a total blast! Apart from being written brilliantly, it also felt like the best of dungeons crawl role playing I can imagine! Just in a more fast forward style.

The book really hooked me up and there are some questions, which are keeping me busy (SPOILERS):
1) Will we see Rose and Mere in any of the next Egil and Nix novels again?

2) Odrhaal struck me as a really complex character, who cannot easily be defined as good or bad, kind of more so than let's say the Sojourner, even though they share common traits.
I understand Nix feelings towards him at the end, but at the same time I also felt, that as a reader I could not "trust" Egil and Nix perception on Odrhaal, because apart from his not caring for anything/anyone really in a "caring" kind of way, he did appear to be pretty straight forward in his communication and actions, without being either good or bad.

So, from your perspective, what might be bad about the girls becoming his apprentices? To me, it seemed a rather attractive option. He does not appear to be a cruel master, although not a loving or caring one neither.


3) Will we see more of those old civilizations in the next novels?

4) How will Egil and Nix pay the guild, considering the mess they left?!

Thanks again and best regards!




First, I'm delighted you enjoyed. :-) On to the questions!

1. Not the very next one (A CONVERSATION IN BLOOD), but in future ones, yes.

2. I think your observations about Odrhaal are spot on, but true indifference of the kind he appears to evidence can carry risk for Rose and Mere. I guess we'll have to wait and see. :-)

3. Sort of. Revelations are coming. :-)

4. The guild will be in CONVERSATION, so you'll find out soon!

I know that's a lot of vagueness. Apologies. Hard not to be without revealing too much, though.

Paul

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 28 Feb 2014 18:38:10
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2014 :  01:10:18  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Paul, I cannot wait to read the next books!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1944 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2014 :  02:16:36  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Link for Soulbound?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000