Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2011 :  02:10:02  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hi, Paul!

Since you're writing the next Shade-centered series, I thought the best man who can answer this question is you...

How exactly did Shade survive the Spellplague? All the magic-rich realms had been severely affected. One, Halruaa, was even obliterated. But Shade and its mythallar survived. Does Telamont have access to a different source of magic that fueled Shade's mythallar, thereby saving his city upon the rage of the Spellplague? I once thought Shar might have saved them, but it was later revealed that even she had been badly hurt. So who or what saved Shade?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  07:02:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Paul:

An interesting question has been asked in Fellfire's scroll about "Black Speech" being used in your novels. Any comments you could offer about it would be very welcome.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  18:11:46  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Hi, Paul!

Since you're writing the next Shade-centered series, I thought the best man who can answer this question is you...

How exactly did Shade survive the Spellplague? All the magic-rich realms had been severely affected. One, Halruaa, was even obliterated. But Shade and its mythallar survived. Does Telamont have access to a different source of magic that fueled Shade's mythallar, thereby saving his city upon the rage of the Spellplague? I once thought Shar might have saved them, but it was later revealed that even she had been badly hurt. So who or what saved Shade?

Dennis,

Alas, that's not a question I can answer. I can posit theories, but I wouldn't want to cloud the issue if/when a designer wished to answer it definitively. For purposes of my storytelling, it doesn't matter much.
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  00:48:52  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul:

I really like your Erevis Cale books and I am looking forward to the newest entries that are coming next year (I assume that is still the planned release date?). I also just finished reading Deceived and I enjoyed it.

I hope it's okay if I ask a couple questions related to your SW books.

I have Crosscurrent but I have not read it yet. Is the upcoming Riptide connected to it?

Has there been any talk of either a sequel to Deceived or another Old Republic book?

From a writing stand point, is it easy to transition from fantasy writing in the FR to something with a more Sci-Fi bent like Star Wars? Is it made easier by SW having fantasy elements that seem to have greater importance than the technical side of things as opposed to something like Star Trek that is crammed with technobabble and the occasional attempt at scientific accuracy?

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  01:33:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

I have Crosscurrent but I have not read it yet. Is the upcoming Riptide connected to it?
I'm not Paul, but I can cover some of these.

Unless things have changed, the write-up for Crosscurrent in the January 2010 Star Wars Insider told us that it was a stand-alone novel.

However, Paul also said, back in January 2010, that Riptide does "build off the events of Crosscurrent."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 30 Mar 2011 01:35:15
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  15:47:11  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

I'm not Paul, but I can cover some of these.

Unless things have changed, the write-up for Crosscurrent in the January 2010 Star Wars Insider told us that it was a stand-alone novel.

However, Paul also said, back in January 2010, that Riptide does "build off the events of Crosscurrent."

Sage has the right of it. CROSSCURRENT was written as a standalone novel, but I left a few hooks out there to allow for a sequel, should Del Rey have wanted one. They did, and that sequel is RIPTIDE, which picks up essentially moments after the end of CROSSCURRENT.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2011 :  16:49:49  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul,

I don't remember if it was here or on Facebook, but I am glad that you said that your wife liked Riptide even though she didn't really like Crosscurrent; because as much as I love you Cale series, I did not really enjoy Crosscurrent myself. I think my main problem with it was that I had trouble really connecting with the characters. Whereas, I took an instant liking to Ervis, Jak, and Magadon when I met them, and Riven eventually grew on me. Anyways, I am looking forward to reading Riptide and Deceived when I get a chance to get my hands on copies.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2011 :  07:59:21  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks, Paul. I really hope we'll learn of it soon.

And again, I can't wait to read Godborn.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2011 :  11:36:40  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy Birthday Paul.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  17:50:20  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Happy Birthday Paul.

Thanks, Brimstone.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2011 :  07:42:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hi, Paul!

Elaine, Bob, and Ed already have their own Realms anthologies. Any plans of writing one?

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  13:46:54  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi, Paul!

Elaine, Bob, and Ed already have their own Realms anthologies. Any plans of writing one?

Dennis,

Anthologies aren't so much written as collected. That is, they're a collection of past short stories, sometimes with one or two new ones thrown in. I haven't written anywhere near enough short fiction in the Realms to fill an anthology, even if it were something that WotC were theoretically interested in publishing. So no, no anthology. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  23:05:22  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ed wrote "new" short stories that are about half of the anthology [and the rest are collected].

Anyway, some of us are speculating on the spell Telamont used to bind Mephistopheles in Shadowrealm. Did he use wish spells to accomplish it?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2011 :  04:52:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hi, Paul!

In Dawn of Night, is that huge crystal [at the center of the chamber which is the focal point of Skullport's mythal-like mantle] a mythallar?

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2011 :  15:25:14  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:

Hi, Paul!

Dennis,

Anthologies aren't so much written as collected. That is, they're a collection of past short stories, sometimes with one or two new ones thrown in. I haven't written anywhere near enough short fiction in the Realms to fill an anthology, even if it were something that WotC were theoretically interested in publishing. So no, no anthology. :-)

But now that WotC is releasing ebooks, collections of short stories that total non-traditional word counts are possible. And, imo, would make a lot of sense.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2011 :  20:01:42  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi, Paul!

In Dawn of Night, is that huge crystal [at the center of the chamber which is the focal point of Skullport's mythal-like mantle] a mythallar?

Dennis,

Ed would be the one to answer this question authoritatively but I treated it as a mythallar. A mythal is Elven High Magic, and there's no reason for anything of that kind to be in Skullport. A Mythallar, on the other hand, is Netherese in origin, and that fits with Skullport being a former Netherese outpost. I think some of the early sources sometimes used the terms interchangeably, even though they're entirely different things.

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2011 :  20:02:22  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

[quote]

But now that WotC is releasing ebooks, collections of short stories that total non-traditional word counts are possible. And, imo, would make a lot of sense.

True, ec. Here's hoping. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Saer Cormaeril
Learned Scribe

124 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2011 :  21:03:54  Show Profile Send Saer Cormaeril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul,
In your view, what are some differences between the (wizardly) mythals of the elves (such as the one at Myth Drannor), mythals crafted by Netherese Arcanists in the Arcane Age with Lefebers Weave Mythal, and High Magic mythals (such as the Dracorage mythal and the mythal of Myth Adofaer)?

Brace Cormaeril
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2011 :  05:16:29  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks, Paul. Ed finally answered the same question, and it seems like your answer is not far from what he [long ago] intended Skullport to have.

Go to Top of Page

Cronje
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2011 :  19:12:28  Show Profile Send Cronje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Mr. Kemp,

Is the Shadowtome used by the Righteous Man in Shadow's Witness to summon Yrsillar a copy of the one detailed in The Magister or just a tome bearing the same name? If the former, was the information on the dread missing from the copy destroyed in Neverwinter, or something all copies had, but not discovered until later?
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2011 :  15:47:39  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cronje

Dear Mr. Kemp,

Is the Shadowtome used by the Righteous Man in Shadow's Witness to summon Yrsillar a copy of the one detailed in The Magister or just a tome bearing the same name? If the former, was the information on the dread missing from the copy destroyed in Neverwinter, or something all copies had, but not discovered until later?

A different grimoire.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  13:51:01  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Everyone,

On the assumption that some of you may be interested: I've signed with Angry Robot Books to publish a sword and sorcery duology, the books of which are entitled: The Hammer and the Blade, a Tale of Egil and Nix, and A Discourse in Steel, a Tale of Egil and Nix.

My thoughts are here: http://paulskemp.com/blog/two-book-deal-with-angry-robot/
Angry Robot press release is here:http://angryrobotbooks.com/2011/07/meet-our-newest-signing-paul-s-kemp/

I think those of you who've enjoyed my novels in the Realms will love these stories. Meanwhile, back to The Cycle of Night (Godborn is not that far off now!).
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  15:05:40  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey Everyone,

On the assumption that some of you may be interested: I've signed with Angry Robot Books to publish a sword and sorcery duology, the books of which are entitled: The Hammer and the Blade, a Tale of Egil and Nix, and A Discourse in Steel, a Tale of Egil and Nix.

My thoughts are here: http://paulskemp.com/blog/two-book-deal-with-angry-robot/
Angry Robot press release is here:http://angryrobotbooks.com/2011/07/meet-our-newest-signing-paul-s-kemp/

I think those of you who've enjoyed my novels in the Realms will love these stories. Meanwhile, back to The Cycle of Night (Godborn is not that far off now!).

Excellent, these characters just sound like FUN!

I'm also really looking forward to Cycle of Night. Question, though: if it's about Cale's son, will it be set during the post-apocalyptic years right after the spellplague or in the current era (1479-ish)? Or can you say yet?

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  18:31:04  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

[quote]I'm also really looking forward to Cycle of Night. Question, though: if it's about Cale's son, will it be set during the post-apocalyptic years right after the spellplague or in the current era (1479-ish)? Or can you say yet?

Eltheron,

Godborn takes place in the current era (1479ish).
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2011 :  20:55:47  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

[quote]I'm also really looking forward to Cycle of Night. Question, though: if it's about Cale's son, will it be set during the post-apocalyptic years right after the spellplague or in the current era (1479-ish)? Or can you say yet?

Eltheron,

Ah, interesting, thanks!

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2011 :  11:12:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Eltheron,

Quite interesting. Almost everyone here at the 'Keep is looking forward to Godborn.

Will the setting be Sembia still?

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2011 :  19:49:29  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote][i]Will the setting be Sembia still?

Dennis, indeed. Mostly Sembia.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2011 :  17:48:01  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a question for you, Paul. In Twilight Falling when Cale and his band of merry marauders enter the Fane of Shadows they see a statue of Mask decsribed thusly..."A one-legged human male in thieving leathers, with a cowled cloak pulled up to reveal only the lower half of his face. He seemed to be looking up at Shar from the shadows and sneering...In it's hand, the statue held a long sword that looked strikingly similar to Cale's own..." Now in Shadowrealm when Cale, Riven and Rivalen go to the temple Ephyras there is another statue of Mask. This one is depicted as "...a shorter male figure, a man clad in a long cloak. Leather armor peaked from under the cloak and he held a slim blade in each hand..." No mention is made of Mask having only one leg. Can you please explain?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2011 :  17:55:21  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Hi, Paul:

An interesting question has been asked in Fellfire's scroll about "Black Speech" being used in your novels. Any comments you could offer about it would be very welcome.

Sorry to bother you again, but I had wondered if you'd seen this? I'm re-reading both trilogies again and the Black Speech makes me curious.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2011 :  16:25:14  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Hi, Paul:

Sorry to bother you again, but I had wondered if you'd seen this? I'm re-reading both trilogies again and the Black Speech makes me curious.

Fellfire, no bother at all! I missed the question the first time around.

The Black Speech is an analog of the Dark Speech from the BoVD.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000