Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  08:57:04  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-T-Minus 8 days and counting until we learn the Fate of Cale and Company.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  01:42:59  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-T-Minus 8 days and counting until we learn the Fate of Cale and Company.

BRIMSTONE

Excellent! I am almost done re-reading all of Kemp's novels pertaining to Cale and crew. I have about 1/2 of Shadowstorm left, which should be done right about the 2nd.

Edited by - scererar on 25 Nov 2008 01:43:35
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
727 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  06:59:35  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This may be a bit premature—I'm only about 50-or-so pages into Dawn of the Night—but what happens to the Weave Tap, sans Weave (post-Sellplague)? Is this ever explained in any of your later Cale novels, Paul, or does it become a non-issue due to the plot progression of ECT?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  14:26:38  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

This may be a bit premature—I'm only about 50-or-so pages into Dawn of the Night—but what happens to the Weave Tap, sans Weave (post-Sellplague)? Is this ever explained in any of your later Cale novels, Paul, or does it become a non-issue due to the plot progression of ECT?

The answer is an implicit spoiler, but, since you asked:

It becomes a non-issue due to plot progression.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  18:19:14  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Well Mr. Kemp, I finished Shadowrealms today. A very good read.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  18:40:39  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-Well Mr. Kemp, I finished Shadowrealms today. A very good read.

BRIMSTONE

Thanks, Brimstone. I'm pleased to hear that.

Paul

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 03 Dec 2008 18:41:07
Go to Top of Page

Kastaph
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2008 :  19:48:45  Show Profile Send Kastaph a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished Shadowrealm as well. I had bought it during the lunch hour and finished it by dinner.

It was a most excellent read.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2008 :  17:30:19  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kastaph

I just finished Shadowrealm as well. I had bought it during the lunch hour and finished it by dinner.

It was a most excellent read.

Thank you, Kastaph. I greatly appreciate that.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
727 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2008 :  12:42:49  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Concerning Dawn of Night:
Cale teleports/shadow jumps them to the Wet River canyon (p. 165) and Mags then warns them about the Dragon's Jaws tumbling into the Dragonmere (p. 166). My copy was published in 2004, so I'm not sure what map I'm supposed to look at, but if it's one of the ones from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting like this Forgotten Realms Map, I'm confused. The distance from Starmantle to the area between the Lake of the Long Arm and the Sea of Fallen Stars looks to be about right—Mags mentions a distance of twenty leagues. But, unless things changed between 3.0 Edition and 3.5 Edition, the Wet River doesn't end/plunge into the Dragonmere? Or is there something I am missing?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
727 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  07:31:48  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apart from the above question/s, I have now also finished Dawn of Night and wish to pile more praise on you Paul. Another thing that has struck me is that you do/did not shy away from using words like "arse" or describing the seediness of Skullport in terms I would have thought would not have passed by editorial cuts. I think what sets your novels apart is the "working class heroes" aspect of the writing as well as how Cale and company react and speak. Of course I hated—in a good way—the cliff-hanger ending to Cale's side of the story, but you seem to be able to pull it off well enough to not be just a device.

On to another question: I know you've oficially statted up Cale, but where can I find stats for the other characters (if any exist)? I found a thread over on WotC's boards, but don't know how official you treat Tom Costa's versions...

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  14:16:49  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Apart from the above question/s, I have now also finished Dawn of Night and wish to pile more praise on you Paul. Another thing that has struck me is that you do/did not shy away from using words like "arse" or describing the seediness of Skullport in terms I would have thought would not have passed by editorial cuts. I think what sets your novels apart is the "working class heroes" aspect of the writing as well as how Cale and company react and speak. Of course I hated—in a good way—the cliff-hanger ending to Cale's side of the story, but you seem to be able to pull it off well enough to not be just a device.

On to another question: I know you've oficially statted up Cale, but where can I find stats for the other characters (if any exist)? I found a thread over on WotC's boards, but don't know how official you treat Tom Costa's versions...

Kyrene,

I'm away from any maps and my memory is of now help, so I'll have to punt on the geography question, at least for the moment.

As for stats, I've never actually statted up the characters from the books. I have a rough idea of stats and classes and the like, but that's about it. I thought Tom Costa did the best job I've seen of statting out Cale and Riven on the WotC boards. A couple other participants in that thread had some solid interpretations (I think someone did a nice job with Mags), too, but I recall thinking Tom really hit Cale and Riven on the head (for which he paid with his life, but so it goes....)
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
727 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2009 :  17:46:18  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

I'm away from any maps and my memory is of now help, so I'll have to punt on the geography question, at least for the moment.
I'll hold you to it then.
quote:
I thought Tom Costa did the best job I've seen of statting out Cale and Riven on the WotC boards.
Thanks. I'll copy 'n paste those then and save them to PDF when I have a moment.

Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2009 :  11:56:35  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just so folks don't go searching....

First off, Calant was dialect I think first mentioned in a Dragon article, but it didn't make it into my old Speaking with Tongues article, which I'm happy to share with folks who email me at THOMASC148@aol.com.

And here's what I did for Erevis and Riven back when (at the beginning of the most recent trilogy), but before I do that, Paul, I just finished Shadowrealm and it was stellar. Can't agree more with all the kind words of others.

EREVIS CALE CR 22
Male Chondathan shadeRac rogue 7/fighter 2/cleric of Mask 9/divine agentMP 2
N Medium outsider (augmented humanoid [human], native)
CAd= Complete Adventurer, MP = Manual of the Planes, PG = Player’s Guide to Faerûn, PH2 = Player’s Handbook II, Rac = Races of Faerûn
Init +10; Senses Listen +13, Spot +10
Languages Chessentan (Thorass alphabet), Chondathan (Thorass alphabet), Common (Thorass alphabet), Dwarven (Dethek alphabet), Elven (Espruar alphabet), Gnome (Dethek alphabet), Halfling (Thorass alphabet), Orc (Dethek alphabet), Thieves’ Cant (including Handcant), Turmic (Thorass alphabet)

AC 21, touch 14, flat-footed 17 (+4 Dex, +7 armor); Dodge, Mobility, Shadow StrikerPH2 (evade notice), trap sense +2, uncanny dodge
hp 125 (20 HD; 7d6+2d10+11d8+40)
Resist evasion, trap sense +2, Weaveshear (absorbing power, dispeller power)
Fort +13, Ref +12, Will +14

Speed 30 ft. (6 squares); Spring Attack
Melee Weaveshear +21/+16/+11 (1d8+9/17-20); weavebane power
Base Atk +14; Grp +18
Atk Options Blind-Fight, Combat Reflexes, Deft OpportunistCAd, Power Attack, Shadow StrikerPH2 (fade away, ghost strike), good fortune 1/day (reroll one roll before DM determines success or not), sneak attack +4d6
Special Actions rebuke undead 4/day (+3, 2d6+10, 9th), spontaneous casting (inflict spells)
Combat Gear 2 potions of cure serious wounds and up to 4 other potions
Cleric Spells Prepared (CL 10th, Spells per Day 6/5+1/5+1/+4+1/3+1/2+1, Base DC = 13 + spell level, melee touch +18, ranged touch +18; Concentration +10)
Deity Mask; Domains Darkness, Luck, Trickery
Erevis is flexible in his choice of spells, but always prepares several cure spells of various levels and non-detection as his 3rd-level domain spell.

Abilities Str 18 (+4), Dex 18 (+4), Con 14 (+2), Int 16 (+3), Wis 16 (+3), Cha 12 (+1)
SQ chosen of Mask, contact (may be contacted mentally by Mask or his agents), shade racial abilities, trapfinding
Feats Blind-FightB, Combat Reflexes, Deft OpportunistCAd, DodgeB, Improved Critical (longsword), Improved Initiative, MobilityB, Power Attack, Shadow StrikerPH2, Spring Attack, ThugPG
Skills Appraise +5, Balance +6, Bluff +6, Climb +14 (+16 involving climbing ropes), Concentration +10, Decipher Script +13, Diplomacy +8, Disable Device +15, Disguise +8 (+10 to act in character), Escape Artist +4 (+6 involving ropes), Forgery +13, Gather Information +12, Hide +22, Intimidate +5, Jump +12, Knowledge (local—Sembia) +13, Knowledge (religion) +10, Listen +13, Move Silently +20, Open Lock +16, Profession (butler) +8, Search +12, Spot +10, Survival +3 (+5 when following tracks), Tumble +11, Use Rope +9
Possessions combat gear plus +5 leather armor, Weaveshear (+3 absorbing, dispeller, weavebane longsword), cloth holy symbol (black mask), masterwork thieves tools, and other equipment worth less than 500 gp

Chosen of Mask As the First of Five of Mask, Cale has gained several powers, only one of which is known; Cale can use his shade granted shadow travel power at will instead of 1/day and transport ten times the normal number of targets (see below).
Shade Racial Abilities As a shade, Cale has the following statistics in darkness or shadows, including a +2 competence bonus on attacks and damage (included below).
Senses shadesight (darkvision 60 ft. and see through darkness effects); Listen +17, Spot +14
AC 25, touch 18, flat-footed 21 (+4 Dex, +7 armor, +4 deflection)
hp 145 (+20); fast healing 2
SR 31
Fort +18, Ref +16, Will +18
Speed 50 ft. (10 squares)
Melee Weaveshear +23/+18/+13 (1d8+11/17-20); weavebane power
Special Actions rebuke undead 5/day (+4, 2d6+11, 9th)
Cleric Spells Prepared (melee touch +20, ranged touch +20; Concentration +11)
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 20th; Concentration +11):
At will—control light (decrease light within 100-ft. radius by up to 100%), shadesight (darkvision 60 ft. and see through darkness effects), shadow travel (as greater teleport or plane shift to Plane of Shadow with up to ten times the number of targets)
1/round—invisibility (as spell; self only)
1/2 rounds—shadow stride (move 300 ft. to shadowy area)
3/day—shadow image (as mirror image; 1d4+6 images)
Abilities Con 16 (+3), Cha 14 (+2)
Skills Bluff +7, Concentration +11 Diplomacy +9 Disguise +9 (+11 to act in character), Gather Information +13, Hide +30, Intimidate +6, Listen +17, Move Silently +28, Spot +14
Weaveshear (minor artifact) +3 absorbing, dispeller, weavebane longsword
Absorbing Weaveshear’s acts as a magnet, drawing arcane spells or spell-like effects that tap into the Weave (and not the Shadow Weave) into itself. The magic absorbed must be a Weave-based single-target arcane spell or arcane ray directed at either the character wielding Weaveshear or his gear. If the wielder makes a successful Will save (DC equals 10 + the caster level of the spell’s caster), Weaveshear nullifies the spell’s effect and stores the spell. If the wielder fails the save, he is affected as normal by the spell. The wielder can instantly detect the absorbed spell’s level and caster level. Absorption requires no action on the part of the user if Weaveshear is in hand at the time. The wielder of Weaveshear can cast the captured spell at the original caster’s caster level as a swift action. The wielder need not provide any material components or focus or pay an XP cost to cast the spell, and there is no arcane spell failure chance for wearing armor.
Dispeller The wielder of Weaveshear can use a greater dispel magic effect (CL 20) upon any arcane spell effect with a duration other than instantaneous that it touches as a standard action.
Weavebane Against any creature with arcane spells prepared or with spell slots available to cast arcane spells without preparation or with the ability to use arcane spell-like abilities and that taps Faerûn’s Weave (and not the Shadow Weave) for its magic, Weaveshear acts as a +5 weapon and deals an extra 2d6 damage.

DRASEK RIVEN CR 19
Male Tethyrian urban rangerUA 3/thug (fighter variant)UA 6/streetfighterCAd 5/divine championPG 5
NE Medium humanoid (human)
CAd= Complete Adventurer, PG = Player’s Guide to Faerûn, FC1 = Fiendish Codex I, UA = Unearthed Arcana
Init +7; Senses Listen +9, Spot +9
Languages Chondathan (Thorass alphabet), Common (Thorass alphabet), Damaran (Dethek alphabet), Dark Speech, Thieves’ Cant (including Handcant)

AC 20, touch 14, flat-footed 16 (+4 Dex, +6 armor); Combat Expertise, uncanny dodge
hp 148 (19 HD; 8d8+10d10+57); stand tough 2/day
Immune cannot be shaken
Resist Endurance, divine wrath 1/day (DR 5/—, +3 saves, 2 rounds), sacred defense +2
Fort +19, Ref +11, Will +7

Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee +2 anarchic saber +22/+17/+12/+7 (1d6+4/18-20) and +2 unholy saber +22/+17 (1d6+3/18-20)
Ranged +1 daggers +24/+19 (1d4+3/19-20)
Base Atk +19; Grp +21
Atk Options Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Dark Speech (DC 21), Improved Feint, Quick Draw, divine wrath 1/day (+3 attack, +3 damage, 2 rounds), favored enemy humans +2, smite infidel 1/day (+2 attack, +5 damage), sneak attack +4d6
Special Actions lay on hands 10 points/day
Combat Gear ioun stone of spell storing (stores five levels of spells; usually cure spells), ring of greater teleport (2/day), up to 4 useful potions (including cure serious wounds)

Abilities Str 14 (+2), Dex 18 (+4), Con 16 (+3), Int 15 (+2), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 15 (+2)
SQ always ready, chosen of Mask, streetwise, wild empathy +3 (-1 magical beasts)
Feats Blind-FightB, BullheadedPG, Combat Expertise, Combat ReflexesB, Dark SpeechFC1, EnduranceB, Improved Feint, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Oversized Two-Weapon FightingCAd, Quick Draw, Two-Weapon FightingB, Urban TrackingB, Weapon Focus (saber)
Skills Bluff +15, Climb +12, Diplomacy +6, Disguise +2 (+4 to act in character), Gather Information +18, Hide +15, Intimidate +19, Jump +12, Knowledge (local-Amn) +9, Knowledge (local-Cormyr) +6, Knowledge (local-Sembia) +9, Knowledge (local-Western Heartlands) +9, Knowledge (religion) +10, Listen +9, Move Silently +15, Open Lock +11, Search +8, Sense Motive +6, Sleight of Hand +11, Spot +9, Survival +0 (+2 when following tracks)
Possessions combat gear plus +4 leather armor, +2 anarchic saber (Chance), +2 unholy saber (Malice), 2 +1 daggers, mwk thieves’ tools, holy symbol of Mask, and other equipment worth less than 500 gp. Riven also has access to anything within Mask’s temple on Wayrock (a former Cyricist temple-tower in Amn).

Always Ready (Ex) Riven gains a +3 competence bonus on initiative checks
Chosen of Mask As the Second of Five of Mask, Riven has gained several powers, which remain mostly unknown. He does however appear able to locate Cale anywhere on the same plane.
Dark Speech This feat allows Riven to do three things.
Dread: Whenever Riven uses Dark Speech in this manner, he takes 1d4 points of Charisma damage, and every other creature in a 30-foot radius must attempt a Will save (DC 10 + ½ character level + Cha mod). The result of a failed save by a listener depends on their level and alignment, as detailed below.

Level (alignment) Result
1st-4th (non-evil) Listener is shaken for 1d10 rounds and must flee from Riven until Riven is out of sight.
1st-4th (evil) Listener cowers in fear for 1d10 rounds.
5th-10th (non-evil) Listener is shaken for 1d10 rounds.
5th-10th (evil) Listener is charmed by Riven (as charm monster) for 1d10 rounds.
11th+ (non-evil) Listener is filled with loathing for Riven, but is not otherwise influenced.
11th+ (evil) Listener is impressed, and Riven gains a +2 competence bonus on attempts to change his attitude in the future.

Corruption: As a full-round action, Riven can whisper vile words at an inanimate object and reduce its hardness by half. He cannot use the ability more than once on a single object.
Dark Unity: Riven can establish a hive mind in any swarm of vermin or animals with an Intelligence score of 2 or lower. Thereafter, he can give the swarm one command as per the suggestion spell (CL 19). Whenever Riven infuses a swarm in this manner, he takes 1d4 points of Constitution damage.
Divine Wrath (Su) Once per day, Riven can gain damage reduction 5/— and a +3 bonus on attack rolls, damage, and saving throws for a number of rounds equal to his Charisma modifier as profane bonuses.
Lay on Hands (Su) As the paladin ability, except Riven may only heal his own wounds or those of Mask’s faithful.
Sacred Defense (Ex) Riven gains a +2 bonus on saving throws against divine spells, as well as the spell-like and supernatural abilities of outsiders.
Smite Infidel (Su) Once per day, Riven may attempt to smite a creature that has a different patron deity with one normal melee attack. He adds his Charismas bonus to the attack roll and his divine champion level to the damage.
Stand Tough (Ex) Twice per day, Riven can attempt a Fort save against a DC equal to the number of points of damage dealt. If the save succeeds, he takes no lethal damage from the blow, instead taking nonlethal damage equal to half the amount of the damage that the blow would have dealt. If the save fails, he takes damage normally.
Streetwise (Ex) Riven gains a +2 competence bonus on Gather Information and Knowledge (local) checks.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2009 :  21:01:43  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

And here's what I did for Erevis and Riven back when (at the beginning of the most recent trilogy), but before I do that, Paul, I just finished Shadowrealm and it was stellar. Can't agree more with all the kind words of others.

Thanks, Tom, I really appreciate that. And thanks for posting. That thread over at WotC got a bit unwieldy, so having these write ups more readily to hand will be nice.
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2009 :  02:08:31  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My pleasure Paul. Thanks for writing such great characters. They really have been a pleasure.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
727 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2009 :  07:20:05  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Thanks, Tom, I really appreciate that. And thanks for posting. That thread over at WotC got a bit unwieldy, so having these write ups more readily to hand will be nice.

Seconded, Tom.

Also, Paul, I finished Midnight's Mask over the weekend, and loved the conclusion of that trilogy. Now, as soon as the ware-ye-January finances have settled down, I shall order the second trilogy post haste. Am I right in thinking most of it is set pre-Spellplague?

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2009 :  08:36:48  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About the whole "first of five thing", are we ever going to find out who numbers three, four and five are, now that Mask is...unavailable?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2009 :  16:32:25  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Also, Paul, I finished Midnight's Mask over the weekend, and loved the conclusion of that trilogy. Now, as soon as the ware-ye-January finances have settled down, I shall order the second trilogy post haste. Am I right in thinking most of it is set pre-Spellplague?

I'm not Paul, but yes.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2009 :  17:11:21  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

About the whole "first of five thing", are we ever going to find out who numbers three, four and five are, now that Mask is...unavailable?

Kesson Rel fits in there, as does Avner, as does some unknown fifth.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2009 :  17:12:04  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

I'm not Paul, but yes.

RF is correct. In fact, the entire trilogy takes place pre-Spellplague with the exception of a short epilogue in book three.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
727 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2009 :  09:52:59  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
...as does some unknown fifth.
Hmmm, I have my ideas about who that may be. Realms of War made me sit up and take notice, even before I knew there was something like an X of Five.
quote:

RF is correct. In fact, the entire trilogy takes place pre-Spellplague with the exception of a short epilogue in book three.
Excellent!

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2009 :  13:10:30  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just made it through Shadowstorm. Awesome, just awesome!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2009 :  18:22:04  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Just made it through Shadowstorm. Awesome, just awesome!

Thank you kindly, Zanan. I'm sincerely pleased that you enjoyed it.
Go to Top of Page

Drew
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2009 :  11:24:44  Show Profile  Visit Drew's Homepage Send Drew a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul,

As a broken record I must say that your books are just fantastic. The Erevis Cale trilogy had me in suspense throughout the entire series.

I even used you and your books as an example in class about books that really draw the reader in...

I was so happy with the ending that I cannot find enough words to heap the praise upon you *spoilerTo just walk in the shade... that sir was beautiful!!!!

With the Twilight wars it was the same thing.

I am a person that waits until all three books are out before I get them to read, however with Erevis I had to go and get Shadowbred and Shadowstorm right after the the first trilogy. So it was an agonizing wait for Realm and I was surely not disappointed!

Though I must admit *Spoiler that what you were doing with Mask at the end that I was screaming at the book and cursing your name, (sorry, and I took back all of the curses) until I read the last part, only to turn all that hate into a grin. Mask is one of my top 3 favorite Gods in the realm, so I hope you understand.

The noblest fate a man can endure is to place his body between the home he loves, and wars desolation.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2009 :  18:33:36  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drew

Paul,

As a broken record I must say that your books are just fantastic. The Erevis Cale trilogy had me in suspense throughout the entire series.

I even used you and your books as an example in class about books that really draw the reader in...

I was so happy with the ending that I cannot find enough words to heap the praise upon you *spoilerTo just walk in the shade... that sir was beautiful!!!!

With the Twilight wars it was the same thing.

I am a person that waits until all three books are out before I get them to read, however with Erevis I had to go and get Shadowbred and Shadowstorm right after the the first trilogy. So it was an agonizing wait for Realm and I was surely not disappointed!

Though I must admit *Spoiler that what you were doing with Mask at the end that I was screaming at the book and cursing your name, (sorry, and I took back all of the curses) until I read the last part, only to turn all that hate into a grin. Mask is one of my top 3 favorite Gods in the realm, so I hope you understand.

Thanks, Drew. I appreciate that.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2009 :  21:04:38  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, I really, REALLY hope Mask somehow gets the last laugh at Shar in the upcoming trilogy. Shar of late seems like a master manipulator for whom nothing can go wrong. She even escaped punishment for helping to kill Mystra. Therefore, she is well overdue some righteous comeuppance. Could you arrange that for us? "puppyeyes"

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2009 :  21:11:54  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Mr. Kemp! From where did you get "The Shadowalkers"? Did you create them?

I was thinking... You, Lee Byers and Salvatore likes to put monks on your novels..

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  19:55:05  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edappel

Hey Mr. Kemp! From where did you get "The Shadowalkers"? Did you create them?

I was thinking... You, Lee Byers and Salvatore likes to put monks on your novels..

Ed,

The inspiration for the Shadowwalkers came from the various "shadowy" classes/items/locales associated with Telflammar, which has a very large temple to Mask within its walls. I went with unarmed fighters/monks because I wanted to make them a unique "unit" with a shared faith that gave them a strong sense of cohesion. I also wanted to make them a little odd (rarely speaking, not prone to emotional outbursts, constantly in control of body and mind, etc.) and there again, a monk fit well.

I was probably also drawing subconsciously on Donaldson's Haruchai from the Thomas Covenant novels.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 16 Apr 2009 19:56:00
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  13:44:59  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And it really fit for this purpouse... As to the entire book.

Another one, Mr. Kemp... Sorry bothering you, but I didn't get how Cale "teleported" to Mephistopheles realm, and later to the Plane of Shadows... Both times he wished to go to another place, didn't he?

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  14:21:25  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edappel

And it really fit for this purpouse... As to the entire book.

Another one, Mr. Kemp... Sorry bothering you, but I didn't get how Cale "teleported" to Mephistopheles realm, and later to the Plane of Shadows... Both times he wished to go to another place, didn't he?

In the first case (I presume you're talking about the end of Shadowbred), Magadon, still lost in his diabolical dream/inner struggle, got into Cale's head and affected the destination.

I'm not sure which time you mean with regard to the Plane of Shadows. If you mean when Meph dismisses them from Cania, well, Meph is driving the train there and dictated the destination (because he wanted to set in the motion the events by which Cale would face off against Kesson Rel).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000