Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2007 :  17:42:04  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Paul, just wanted to check in and say thank you for writing Shadowbred. With your previous books I've somehow felt that although the style of writing have been very good, the "mood" of the stories hasn't been quite to my liking, and so they've been fairly slow reads for me - Shadowbred though...3 hours straight through. I just couldn't put it down, and that ending... Can't wait for the next instalment.



Kajehase,

Well, thanks for reading it!

More seriously, thank you kindly. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

I am curious, though -- I've always considered the mood of the Cale stories to be fairly consistent throughout, up to and including Shadowbred. What specifically about Shadowbred seemed different to you? I know the focus is bigger, and there is some "light" in it in the form of Abelar, but is there something else? (You know, I suppose those two things alone give a reader a bit more breathing room than did the Cale Trilogy, which rarely let up from a fairly sharp edged approach).

Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts, if you'd care to expand on them.



Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2007 :  21:24:37  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Paul, just thought you'd like to know I just bought Twilight Falling and it looks awesome!!!!!! (half singing voice used to emphasize awesomeness). By the way, your profile/bio still makes me laugh. I keep saying, "How does this guy write this stuff?" You must be writing notes at work with an imagination like that. Well, take it easy.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2007 :  13:57:35  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Hey Paul, just thought you'd like to know I just bought Twilight Falling and it looks awesome!!!!!! (half singing voice used to emphasize awesomeness). By the way, your profile/bio still makes me laugh. I keep saying, "How does this guy write this stuff?" You must be writing notes at work with an imagination like that. Well, take it easy.



WM,

I hope you enjoy Twilight Falling and the rest of the Cale Trilogy. Be sure to drop back into the thread and let me know.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  06:03:42  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm.... I had a question. If you have already mentioned this, I apologize, I just couldn't find it on the boards.

I remember in the Shadowbred book club you stating that you "broke the WotC writing rules" twice in Shadowbred, and once was when you wrote in first person. What is the other instance? I didn't see anything else that jumped at me. Curious scribes want to know.

thanks

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  15:01:57  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mkhaiwati

Hmmmm.... I had a question. If you have already mentioned this, I apologize, I just couldn't find it on the boards.

I remember in the Shadowbred book club you stating that you "broke the WotC writing rules" twice in Shadowbred, and once was when you wrote in first person. What is the other instance? I didn't see anything else that jumped at me. Curious scribes want to know.

thanks



MK,

I guess it wouldn't really jump out, but the WotC style guide does not ordinarly allow for the appearance of gods in current novels (with El in Hell an exception, I believe). So the "alley scene" was a departure from that. It's also my favorite scene from the novel, so I'm glad it got in.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2007 :  17:53:59  Show Profile  Send Kuje an AOL message  Click to see Kuje's MSN Messenger address  Send Kuje a Yahoo! Message Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

MK,

I guess it wouldn't really jump out, but the WotC style guide does not ordinarly allow for the appearance of gods in current novels (with El in Hell an exception, I believe). So the "alley scene" was a departure from that. It's also my favorite scene from the novel, so I'm glad it got in.

Paul



Ah,

Now this explains Ed's comment to me at this years Spin a Yarn. No, I can't say more, ya'll just have to wait until WOTC publishes 2006's Spin a Yarn and then I'll answer. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

My Goodreads page: http://www.goodreads.com/kuje

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2007 :  05:58:04  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize that was a deviation from the writing styles. I am also very glad it also made the cut into the book.

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  03:42:50  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul it has been a long time since I have posted anything in The Keep.I just have to break my silence,and tell you that Shadowbred was tremendous!I'll try not to spoil anything,but I really enjoyed Cale's encounter in the alley with a certain someone.That was a treat.

Cale has come a long way it seems from his butler days at Stormweather.As a matter of fact so has Riven.IMO they're a pretty good duo.You've done a really good job with them.Actually I really like where you are going with them.It's been a very enjoyable series all together.I am highly anticipating Shadowstorm this year,and Shadowrealm afterwards.Where are you at with both novels so far?Can you give any snippets of what to look forward to???

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2007 :  17:09:38  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

Paul it has been a long time since I have posted anything in The Keep.I just have to break my silence,and tell you that Shadowbred was tremendous!

Where are you at with both novels so far?Can you give any snippets of what to look forward to???




Thank you, Ved. Nice to hear from you. It has been a while, hasn't it?

As for where I am: I'm finishing up the first draft of Shadowstorm. then I'll turn to Shadowrealm. I've outlined the whole series in broad strokes, but have not yet done a chapter by chapter outline for Shadowrealm. I do have the ending scenes sketched out, though. Can't wait to write them.
Go to Top of Page

heretikalshade
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  17:51:34  Show Profile  Visit heretikalshade's Homepage Send heretikalshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey this is my first post in the forums and I just want to say that you Paul are the greatest author in the Realms and how much I appreciate it that someone actually wrote a trilogy and more with a shade as the main character because in Return of The Archwizards there were shades but not in a scope where you could see all of their abilities.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2007 :  18:41:10  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by heretikalshade

Hey this is my first post in the forums and I just want to say that you Paul are the greatest author in the Realms and how much I appreciate it that someone actually wrote a trilogy and more with a shade as the main character because in Return of The Archwizards there were shades but not in a scope where you could see all of their abilities.



HS,

Welcome to the forums! I'm delighted you've enjoyed my books. And I'm doubly pleased that you think highly of my writing. As for being the "best," well, that makes you and my wife who think so.

I'm curious: Did you read Shadowbred without having read the Cale Trilogy, or did you come to it after reading the Cale Trilogy?


Edited by - PaulSKemp on 17 Jan 2007 01:31:17
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  23:15:18  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember reading the scene,and saying to myself,"How did Paul get away with having the divine in his book?"I wasn't aware that WoTC had a style guide that frowned upon using the divine in novels.I have noticed that current novels,and I mean going back a few years now(I could be wrong),when a god appeared in a novel.That's what I am forming my question around.That the divine hasn't appeared in a novel in a while.I was thinking that our sages were just getting away from using them.That's why the "alley scene" jumped out at me.Plus I have always like the diety in question very much.So how did you get away with getting that scene put into the novel,Paul??????

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2007 :  16:37:42  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

I remember reading the scene,and saying to myself,"How did Paul get away with having the divine in his book?"I wasn't aware that WoTC had a style guide that frowned upon using the divine in novels.I have noticed that current novels,and I mean going back a few years now(I could be wrong),when a god appeared in a novel.That's what I am forming my question around.That the divine hasn't appeared in a novel in a while.I was thinking that our sages were just getting away from using them.That's why the "alley scene" jumped out at me.Plus I have always like the diety in question very much.So how did you get away with getting that scene put into the novel,Paul??????



Ved,

I just sent it along and asked my editor to read it all the way through before making the call as to whether we could include it. After reading it, he agreed that it belonged in the book. :-)

Paul
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2007 :  16:40:27  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All,

For a variety of reasons I am going to end my participation on the forums at Candlekeep. If you would like to contact me, please shoot me a mail at paulsvantekemp@yahoo.com (I am diligent about responding to emails) or visit my blog at http://paulskemp.livejournal.com/.

If a Mod or Admin would lock this thread, I would be grateful.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief
Moderator

USA
30084 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2007 :  16:49:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, we're sorry to see you go. Know that you are always welcome here, and we'll be happy to reopen this thread should you decide to return to our halls.

And thank you for the time you have given us.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  15:02:54  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This scroll has now been unsealed at Paul Kemp's request.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  15:13:38  Show Profile  Visit Matthus's Homepage Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back Mr. Kemp!

Glad you had time and interest to join us here again and first off all: Can we expect some more about Cale anytime soon? I read about your Test Drive but would be interested in new lore as I enjoyed the Trilogy two times already
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  16:05:57  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matthus

Welcome back Mr. Kemp!

Glad you had time and interest to join us here again and first off all: Can we expect some more about Cale anytime soon? I read about your Test Drive but would be interested in new lore as I enjoyed the Trilogy two times already




Matthus,

Thank you. Good to be back.

As for more Cale, you're aware of "Shadowbred," I trust? It's book one of the new "Twilight War," featuring Cale and crew. Book two, "Shadowstorm," will probably hit shelves in about a month and a half.


Edited by - PaulSKemp on 10 Jul 2007 16:06:54
Go to Top of Page

Verity
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2007 :  01:38:59  Show Profile  Visit Verity's Homepage  Click to see Verity's MSN Messenger address  Send Verity a Yahoo! Message Send Verity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will you be attending Gen Con this summer Paul?
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2007 :  02:42:15  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Verity

Will you be attending Gen Con this summer Paul?



Verity,

It does not look that way. If anything changes, I'll post an update to my blog.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2007 :  09:17:09  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Starting Shattered Mask right now I noticed (again) that the series now shows portaits of the main protagonists. Had you had any say on the looks of Erevis in Shadow's Witness? Or the other authros, for that matter?

Thanks, Zanan!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

G a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faern, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2007 :  13:22:34  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Starting Shattered Mask right now I noticed (again) that the series now shows portaits of the main protagonists. Had you had any say on the looks of Erevis in Shadow's Witness? Or the other authros, for that matter?

Thanks, Zanan!



Zanan,

I had no say. I really like the interior illustrations of all the Sembia characters, though.

In fact, as a birthday gift for me, my wife purchased and framed a print of the interior illustration of Erevis, signed by Terese Nielsen. It hangs in my den.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 14 Jul 2007 13:24:17
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2007 :  21:53:09  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Paul. Glad to see you back in the Keep :)
Getting the shivers over here waiting for Shadowstorm though! when does it hit the shelves?
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

804 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  15:50:29  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

Greetings Paul. Glad to see you back in the Keep :)
Getting the shivers over here waiting for Shadowstorm though! when does it hit the shelves?



EB,

August 28th, though I'd be surprised if it didn't show up on some shelves a week or so before that. I hope you enjoy it.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1071 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  10:56:17  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage  Click to see khorne's MSN Messenger address Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, is Cale going to gain more levels in the divine agent class? I read up on it in manual of the planes and noticed that Cale is going to get some nifty gift from Mask if he gains another level.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000