Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  00:10:43  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Greetings again!

Dunno whether it has been adressed already, but has there been anything said by the Wizards (designers) in response to what the Sojourner did to Selūne's tear? Any "fall out" on Faerūn, both in events and possibly items/material? In any case, it should get a mention in the Realms' calendar, shouldn't it?

Zanan,

My apologies for the delay in responding.

I have had some tentative discussions with at least one designer about some of the fallout of the "rain of fire." Some of the effects will also be mentioned in Shadowbred.

Paul

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 17 Mar 2006 00:16:01
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2006 :  00:12:49  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kaysae,

First, thank you very much. I'm very pleased that you enjoyed the Cale trilogy. And yes, I did regard all of the symbols in the Fane as likely to change with the rising or falling fortunes of the various deities. Hence the statue of Mask standing in Shar's shadow. Hmm.

As for the rest of your post, let me just say that you have some interesting ideas regarding Mask's agenda.

Of course, Mask is a either a masterful plotter or a very poor one, so you might be in for some surprises yet.

Paul

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 17 Mar 2006 00:15:14
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2006 :  22:07:50  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When is the release date for Shadowbred?
July 2006 or November 2006
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2006 :  01:57:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
November 2006.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2006 :  14:22:49  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

November 2006.

The Sage is correcto. November of 2006, Lameth.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2006 :  15:01:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

November 2006.

Paul

I was going to add... "Not soon enough." But the wait will do me good... since it gives me the opportunity to finish the Cale trilogy .

Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2006 :  17:34:14  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the plotter bit, Paul that was the first time I've ever seen a worshipper in print, cognize that maybe the God he serves just isn't very on the ball about things mentally and gets outplayed so to speak.

I would expect Mask as god of thieves to be quite clever, but it seems like his real competition in this place is Shar, who must be considered the master manipulator of the Faerunian Pantheon. If it was Cyric or Bane or any of the good gods, I would give him half a chance. Probably I would put Selune as the major behind the scenes player there.
Go to Top of Page

Aquanova
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  21:36:03  Show Profile  Visit Aquanova's Homepage Send Aquanova a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you won't Sage, then I will for you:

quote:

Paul

Not soon enough, Paul. Can't wait.

quote:
Originally posted by Octa

From the plotter bit, Paul that was the first time I've ever seen a worshipper in print, cognize that maybe the God he serves just isn't very on the ball about things mentally and gets outplayed so to speak.

I would expect Mask as god of thieves to be quite clever, but it seems like his real competition in this place is Shar, who must be considered the master manipulator of the Faerunian Pantheon. If it was Cyric or Bane or any of the good gods, I would give him half a chance. Probably I would put Selune as the major behind the scenes player there.

Well, it's possible that pre-ToT Mask was one of the most cunning and intelligent gods around, but got some of that shrewdness sapped from him when Cyric stole some of his power.

However that's not to say that Mask is not a threat-- far from it. As Paul showed us in Midnight's Mask, the Master of All Thieves is as dangerous a foe as any, even in his weakened state.
And at the same time that's not to say that the Shadowlord is invincible, as he has shot himself in the foot several times. Hopefully though, my favorite fantasy deity is back to his old capable self now.

Anyway... Paul, if you can say, will your next trilogy reveal to us if Mask's theft of the Tower of the Eternal Eclipse/slaughtering of Cyricists increased his divine strength, much as how Lolth was strengthened by the events in the WotSQ novels?
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  16:11:39  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aquanova

Anyway... Paul, if you can say, will your next trilogy reveal to us if Mask's theft of the Tower of the Eternal Eclipse/slaughtering of Cyricists increased his divine strength, much as how Lolth was strengthened by the events in the WotSQ novels?

I can say that there will be developments in this regard. Sorry to be so cryptic.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Zsych
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2006 :  12:37:09  Show Profile  Visit Zsych's Homepage Send Zsych a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Paul,

i was wondering.. how are you portraying the Shades in your new novels?

As mysterious rarely seen characters, or are we going to be seeing Shade enclave again?

Are Cale and lot likely to make common cause with the Shades at some point, or is it going to be good guys vs. bad guys, with the Shades being the baddies?

And what's the situation with Shade's mythallar? Normally i would think that even if Mystra's limitations somehow affect the Shadow-weave, stepping one foot outside of Toril(onto another plane), is more than enough to solve that problem, and let Telamont do what he needs to fix it... or maybe to create a new one.

Personally, i don't think that Shade's return will be very interesting unless a few more enclaves can rise(maybe under Telamont's sons), to make it at least seem that Netheril may yet be restored.

... and whatever happened to archwizards, possibly apart from Telamont, continuing the quest towards becoming gods? seems it's usually bums who end up diefied these days :) and through no real work of their own. I've never liked the idea of people not working for power, and when it's only people who don't work for power who get it... it's kinda annoying.

Not to say that i expect anyone in your books to become a god, but the old Netherese PoV being back in a couple of mages would be nice (the after death situation of non-god worshipping wizards who want to be gods, considering the rules for the faithless and the false might be interesting too, if they don't reach their goals :))
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2006 :  14:26:07  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Zsych,

I will answer as much as I can.

Yes, we will see Shade Enclave again. One of the Princes of Shade is a primary point-of-view character in the book, so you will come to know him well.

As for who is the baddie and who not -- I'll let you decide that for yourself when the novel is released. :-)

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2006 :  23:25:52  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zsych

Personally, i don't think that Shade's return will be very interesting unless a few more enclaves can rise(maybe under Telamont's sons), to make it at least seem that Netheril may yet be restored.

Oh god, no.

The Swordsage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2006 :  23:29:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Will be interesting? It's already returned... And I agree with the Swordsage: two surviving enclaves is more than enough. We do not need the return of a nation responsible for its own fall 1700 years ago.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Zsych
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2006 :  01:02:50  Show Profile  Visit Zsych's Homepage Send Zsych a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Netherese were hardly responsible for their own fall. Karsus' situation was more of an accident than anything else.

And going by what Ed says, Mystryl didn't even know that her divinity was going to be passed on, so considering a non-permanent Karsus Avatar, her suicide was crazy(it would've destroyed magic permanently for all she knew)

As for Shade, i mean that in the sense that if they can't repair their mythallar, or show any other signs of being Netherese, then what's the point of their return?

Naturally, a new enclave wouldn't have much value to start with. It likely takes decades at the least for life on an enclave to mature(which amounts to the new enclaves becoming decent powers somewhere around 2020 for us), so it'd just be a flying town for the most part, with part of Shade's population(the more entrepeneurial kind i'd expect), and trying to get more people from elsewhere... Still, it would at least imply a return of Netheril with it's basically superior magic, and the resultant reactions in Faerun would make it interesting.

The threat of there eventually being many Netherese enclaves capable of blasting away cities on the ground, but there being insufficient current provocation to attack the Shades directly again might lead to Faerun's version of a cold war, with lots of intrigue and perhaps new magic.

Also, with Netherese culture being more advanced industrially, they would make more and bigger stuff, at lesser cost, giving them an economic advantage.. not usually an issue, but still interesting.

At least, that is my opinion. An unpleasant industrialized nation popping up in the middle-ages, would have been reason for a great deal of worry.

Of course, one also has to consider that it's blatantly stupid from a strategic PoV to have only one base of operations. Telamont wants to resurrect Netheril, not to risk everything going down in one go, through some bad luck. At the least, he needs an extra (hidden) mythallar like on Karsus enclave, just in case one actually does end up destroyed in the next serious attack on Shade(gotta happen sometime)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2006 :  22:11:34  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Paul,

I was just wondering, I know most authors don't want to use too many characters that other authors have come up with, but is Avner of Hartsvale going to make a cameo in any of the books, or perhaps get mentioned as anything more than just another name of a Chosen of Mask?

I also thinks its kind of interesting, of the Chosen we know of for Mask so far, we have two somewhat reluctant Chosen (Cale and Avner), and two relatively enthusiastic ones (Riven and Kesson Rel) . . .
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  04:08:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Netherese were hardly responsible for their own fall. Karsus' situation was more of an accident than anything else.

Karsus was a product of his culture. And his culture was one that emphasized using magic for every possible thing, regardless of the consequences. Hence, Netheril caused its own fall.

Halruaa proves that a highly magical society can exist without destroying itself, so long as they practice magic with a degree of responsibility.

Go to Top of Page

Zsych
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  07:47:47  Show Profile  Visit Zsych's Homepage Send Zsych a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They were fighting the Phaerimm. Not exactly a minor magical race. The Phaerimm were on top of it, using gorilla warfare, attacking from hidden positions, killing Archwizards and others when possible causing Netherese magic to fail.

Then, as if the hidden menace wasn't enough, Ioulaum vanished causing serious morale problems.

Karsus did what he had to do to save his people(while furthering his own main cause).

Great power was needed to defeat the Phaerimm and he reached out for the greatest he could acquire... If Mystryl wasn't crazy it would've worked fine.

As it is the Netherese died, but the Phaerimm also died(more or less), which means that the human race got a chance to live on, as opposed to what the Phaerimm would likely have done. They are really proud and sorta xenophobic(think that's the right term) creatures.
... And let's also remember that they mostly destroyed Imaskar, and the Imarkari hadn't done them any of the harm that the Netherese accidentally did.
... If the Phaerimm had retained power, and Karsus hadn't done what he did, the human race might be history.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  11:11:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesn't matter. They were still using magic irresponsibly. They were using magic for the simple sake of using magic... Karsus was just a reflection of his culture. Netheril destroyed itself.

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  15:08:02  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It doesn't matter. They were still using magic irresponsibly. They were using magic for the simple sake of using magic... Karsus was just a reflection of his culture. Netheril destroyed itself.

Would like to echo this. The Netheril novel trilogy gave a decent enough picture of the state of the empire in the months before its fall. Nothing to write home about or to raise again.

But we should keep this thread open for Mr. Kemp and his answers, shall we not?!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2006 :  16:11:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. Zsych... if you're interested in pursuing this issue more, I would suggest you open scroll in the General FR section and continue it there.

Let's keep this scroll purely for questions to Paul.

Edited by - The Sage on 08 May 2006 16:13:44
Go to Top of Page

Zsych
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  06:44:33  Show Profile  Visit Zsych's Homepage Send Zsych a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Netherese were using magic to become greater. A worthy pursuit.
One might ask why we focus on so many luxuries when 3rd world countries are often suffering. What? You don't consider us evil? :)

Personally i like Ed Greenwood's depiction of Karsus in his 3rd Elminster book better than the crazy 300 year old with a 3 year old's brain, in the Netheril novels.. which were rather bizarre things anyway. Who expected to read about a fighter in the Netheril novels? :)
Some of the stories in the Realms of Shadow anthology were more interesting and better thought out depictions of what Netherese life may have been like.

As for derailing the thread, that's exactly what was bothering me. Though varying views on Netheril and thus the Shades may give Mr. Kemp a few new ideas... which just might make things more interesting.

I wonder what's planned for Ioulaum's apprentice(forgotten her name) that LEoF says that the Shades captured. Having Ioulaum back in the game might be intriguing. Plus there has yet to be any serious clarification about whether the Shadow Weave having never faced the Sundering or Karsus folly can support 10+ level magic. Going by all evidence, 10+ level magic is harder to discover by yourself than epic magic is supposed to be, but i'm sure that it would send shockwaves through Toril, if the Shades did something along those lines.

Edited by - Zsych on 09 May 2006 07:02:09
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  15:33:13  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Hey Paul,

I was just wondering, I know most authors don't want to use too many characters that other authors have come up with, but is Avner of Hartsvale going to make a cameo in any of the books, or perhaps get mentioned as anything more than just another name of a Chosen of Mask?

I also thinks its kind of interesting, of the Chosen we know of for Mask so far, we have two somewhat reluctant Chosen (Cale and Avner), and two relatively enthusiastic ones (Riven and Kesson Rel) . . .

KEjr,

At this point, I do not have any intention of including Avner.

Interesting observation re the other Chosen. Of course, Kesson Rel was enthusiastic centuries ago. Whether he remains so is an open question.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Zsych
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  13:01:32  Show Profile  Visit Zsych's Homepage Send Zsych a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul...

I was just looking through Lords of Darkness, and that says that Shade enclave is moving around easily enough, and that it is seen periodically near villages before people are kidnapped(among other strange things).

That would imply that the Shades managed to fix their mythallar probably in a matter of weeks... And then went on to start to lay claim to Anauroch, and start their other activities as well.

In your opinion, is that right? Or is the mythallar still broken for some reason.. That would make Lords of Darkness wrong, and WotC is supposed to maintain consistency... but it seems to be the common opinion.. that the mythallar is still broken, because no book since then has mentioned if it was fixed.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2006 :  15:56:43  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Zsych,

I'm not sure when Lords of Darkness came out relative to Troy's RotAW series. It is possible that LoD came out before the Archwizards' series concluded, and that may explain the differing references.

I do speak to the matter in Shadowbred.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Zsych
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2006 :  20:43:39  Show Profile  Visit Zsych's Homepage Send Zsych a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LoD came out a year before.

Hmm, since you do not say that LoD is correct about what was happening shortly after the whole Evereska mess... i extrapolate that the mythallar is still broken and awaiting repair :)

That when it should've been impossible to damage it in the first place since any being touching it is instantaneously disintegrated without a chance at resurrection :)

I await your book. I have a feeling that it's going to be very interesting.
Seems i'm going to be giving up my Netherese contempt for gods, and actually praying for my Netherese brethren.. to Shar it seems, of all the dieties :)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  01:11:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not sure when Lords of Darkness came out relative to Troy's RotAW series. It is possible that LoD came out before the Archwizards' series concluded, and that may explain the differing references.
LoD was released mid-2001 as I recall. The Summoning was published in March 2001.

Go to Top of Page

Zsych
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  07:29:26  Show Profile  Visit Zsych's Homepage Send Zsych a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which would mean that LoD overrides RotA, or at least tells of the future after it's events. Understandable really. With Telamont having made his shadow mythallar after the Fall of Netheril(though admittedly off-plane where the Weave is completely irrelevant.. not that it matters to the Shadow-weave anyway)... Telamont should be able to fix it, or make a new one if he wants to(unless they cost a lot.. but if the costs were likely to break your back, they wouldn't be built in the first place)

Anyway, going to wait for Shadowbred.
Aren't we up for some spoilers yet? :)
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  08:06:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Which would mean that LoD overrides RotA, or at least tells of the future after it's events. Understandable really. With Telamont having made his shadow mythallar after the Fall of Netheril(though admittedly off-plane where the Weave is completely irrelevant.. not that it matters to the Shadow-weave anyway)... Telamont should be able to fix it, or make a new one if he wants to(unless they cost a lot.. but if the costs were likely to break your back, they wouldn't be built in the first place)

Ah, but the Player's Guide actually backs up the events in the novels, and thus I'd use the trilogy more then Lords of Darkness, since the Player's Guide came out after either of them. :)

And to Sage: Amazon lists LoD as a Nov 2001 release.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 19 May 2006 08:09:10
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  08:22:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Ah, but the Player's Guide actually backs up the events in the novels, and thus I'd use the trilogy more then Lords of Darkness, since the Player's Guide came out after either of them. :)
Indeed. The RotAW trilogy did not finish until November 2002. So the more complete details of those events would be gleaned from the three novels than what was written in LoD. And as Kuje said, the PGtF has the "Campaign Journal" which details the Archwizards' return post-RotAW.

quote:
And to Sage: Amazon lists LoD as a Nov 2001 release.
Aye.

The WotC product release details note November 2001.

Go to Top of Page

Zsych
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  16:08:12  Show Profile  Visit Zsych's Homepage Send Zsych a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only thing that annoys me here is that a lot of the time you ask authors questions, they can't be answered due to continuity issues and what not, and thus having to be careful about what is said. And yet it would seem WotC doesn't really control what comes out, and we have inconsistencies of this sort.

The Shades are merely one Netherese city, and even they aren't at full power(nor easily likely to return to full power despite the fact that it shouldn't be much of a problem).

... Overall FR feels far too goodie dominated, with none of the evil lot pooling their resources or using the max of their abilities. Half the time it's luck that causes the goodies to win(that i find very unamusing).
The dark side should be allowed to build some decent credibility at least. Maybe win around 50% of the time, so that it isn't a foregone conclusion that a 1st level Fighter going up against a 40th level wizard is going to win somehow.

Also, i have this feeling that the Realms just aren't dynamic enough in the novels and the sourcebooks. Only small things, or small groups of people are usually effected to any great degree(usually).

I hope the current RSE will shake the foundations of all of the major countries, force them to change their way of life, one way or the other.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000