Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 33

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

805 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2005 :  15:22:48  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ethriel

Well, Paul, here's my questions, but first, thank you very much for the Cale trilogy, incredible one, it was.

1. What will the plot of the Twilight War be? You said Kesson Rel would play a large part, and the Shadovar...will Telamont possibly be looking to expand?

2. What plans do you have for Azriim? Will he feature as an enemy to Cale and Riven or will he look to make his way in the world and hunger for a new transformation? I'd love to see him take on the heroes again, such a fun evil monster.



Ethriel,

Thank you. I'm pleased you enjoyed the Cale trilogy.

Unfortunately, I can't reveal much about "The Twilight War." Kesson Rel will appear, and, since the Shadovar are integral to the plot, Telemont must needs appear. But as for motives or more on the plot, I'm not yet allowed to say.

Azriim's future is a bit up in the air. I don't anticipate him appearing in "The Twilight War" proper, but he might appear in the accompanying short story anthology (the "Realms of...."). I'm glad you enjoyed him, though. He is a fun villain to write.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Ethriel
Learned Scribe

USA
272 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2005 :  05:32:22  Show Profile  Visit Ethriel's Homepage  Send Ethriel an AOL message Send Ethriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can imagine! Any villain who respects art and fusses over fashion the way he does has got to be fun.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  15:21:41  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the Realms list :
quote:

David, I am unaware of any 3E materials relating to Skullport other than the brief mention it gets in the current "Waterdeep" sourcebook. The 2E supplement, "Skullport," by Joseph Wolf, covers the Port of Skulls in detail. IMO, it is quite good and readily transferable to 3.0 or 3.5. You'd have to do some conversion of the NPC stats, but the maps, location descriptions, etc., would all transfer directly. There are a few backhanded comical elements (which I don't care for) in the sourcebook, but it is otherwise well done and provides a wealth of detail. I don't know if it's still available anywhere other than ebay.

Also, a substantial portion of book II of my Erevis Cale Trilogy, "Dawn of Night," takes place in Skullport.

Paul



I currently run a evil-PCs game in Waterdeep/Skullport, I would like to know what you consider "backhanded comical elements", because I feel the same way about some on the info in the 2e sources.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

805 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  20:35:22  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

I currently run a evil-PCs game in Waterdeep/Skullport, I would like to know what you consider "backhanded comical elements", because I feel the same way about some on the info in the 2e sources.




Skeptic,

I don't have the supplement within easy grasp, but among other things, I recall the goblin dockhand/teamsters being organized under "Haffa," which I took to be a tongue in cheek Jimmy Hoffa reference. There were other things of that nature. Nothing integral to the setting, just tangential stuff.

Again, I think the supplement is excellent overall. Those kinds of in-jokes were not pervasive; there were just enough of them that their presence stuck with me. Easy enough to fix, though -- I just ignored those references, both when running my campaign and when writing "Dawn of Night."

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2005 :  20:55:56  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Dawn of Night is on my amazon wish list for christmas

I have great fun with Skullport, but my player's don't seem to be able to grasp it's feeling and don't bother with my efforts to show them...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  06:13:11  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While this doesn't exclusively relate to Paul's Realmslore contributions, it does deal with his writing (and the reference I will mention here was taken from an interview with Paul here at Candlekeep:- http://www.candlekeep.com/bookshelf/interviews/pskemp_int2.htm).

Paul, in your September '03 interview you mentioned something about writing fiction for the Midnight setting. Here's the exact reference -

quote:
I’ve contracted with Fantasy Flight Games to write the first trilogy in their very cool, very dark, very low magic “Midnight,” setting. I’m excited about it. In my mind, only Midnight can compare with the Realms in terms of wonder. Look for it in mid-2004. Titles are still up in the air, but they’ll find their way onto the internet once decided.
As a long-time fan of this alternate setting, I have yet to hear anything more about this, so I'm just wondering whether you can provide me with any updated details concerning these books?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 04 Dec 2005 06:14:47
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

805 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  11:39:34  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

As a long-time fan of this alternate setting, I have yet to hear anything more about this, so I'm just wondering whether you can provide me with any updated details concerning these books?




Sage,

I love the world of Midnight too but those books are not to be, for a variety of reasons. Sorry to disappoint.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  11:49:25  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vendui Mr. Kemp!

While doing a revision of the German version of WotSQ VI these days, I noted that the word Teeming got a rather odd translation. I'm not one for bashing translators (cause I belong to that ilk too), but if you were asked to describe the Teeming and present some synonyms for it, what words would you use?

All the best, Zanan.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 04 Dec 2005 11:50:22
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2005 :  12:29:07  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

As a long-time fan of this alternate setting, I have yet to hear anything more about this, so I'm just wondering whether you can provide me with any updated details concerning these books?




Sage,

I love the world of Midnight too but those books are not to be, for a variety of reasons. Sorry to disappoint.

Paul

Thanks Paul . I had a feeling this was the case... FFG seems to make a habit of cutting things short in every part of the company.

If it's possible, could you at least share some details about what aspects of the setting *might* have featured in this projected trilogy? I'm assuming you at least had some basic ideas about what you may have liked to include in the story...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

805 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  15:02:49  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Thanks Paul . I had a feeling this was the case... FFG seems to make a habit of cutting things short in every part of the company.

If it's possible, could you at least share some details about what aspects of the setting *might* have featured in this projected trilogy? I'm assuming you at least had some basic ideas about what you may have liked to include in the story...




Sage,

I probably should not talk about it anymore than I already have.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 05 Dec 2005 15:03:28
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

805 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  15:04:48  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Vendui Mr. Kemp!

While doing a revision of the German version of WotSQ VI these days, I noted that the word Teeming got a rather odd translation. I'm not one for bashing translators (cause I belong to that ilk too), but if you were asked to describe the Teeming and present some synonyms for it, what words would you use?

All the best, Zanan.



That piques my curiosity, Zanan. How do the German words translate literally?

Synonyms for an invented proper noun are tough. Something like The Swarming, maybe? The Seething?

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 05 Dec 2005 15:27:41
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High
Moderator

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  15:15:24  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

Sage,

I probably should not talk about it anymore than I already have.

Thanks again Paul .

I appreciate you sharing what you could .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  15:30:23  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the thing here is, of course, that there are a number of possible translations for "teeming".
Reading about the Teeming brought a picture to my mind, a picture of a chaotic storm of spidery things whirling about and destroying everything in its path. Much akin to the firestorm which raged over the prison planet in the Riddick movie.
The German word used, Wimmeln, is taking much of that notion away though, as it lacks the awesome and destructive sense. Its more appropriate for something like ... "the wounds of that corpse are teeming with maggots" or "that hill of ants is teeming with insects". As opposed to (The Mummy Returns): "the desert's hills were swarmed by thousands of Anubis' warriors".
Hence I asked what Teeming should present ... and I believe it is far more destructive, overwhelming and awesome a notion than what I would describe with Wimmeln.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

805 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2005 :  15:39:02  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Well, the thing here is, of course, that there are a number of possible translations for "teeming".
Reading about the Teeming brought a picture to my mind, a picture of a chaotic storm of spidery things whirling about and destroying everything in its path. Much akin to the firestorm which raged over the prison planet in the Riddick movie.
The German word used, Wimmeln, is taking much of that notion away though, as it lacks the awesome and destructive sense. Its more appropriate for something like ... "the wounds of that corpse are teeming with maggots" or "that hill of ants is teeming with insects". As opposed to (The Mummy Returns): "the desert's hills were swarmed by thousands of Anubis' warriors".
Hence I asked what Teeming should present ... and I believe it is far more destructive, overwhelming and awesome a notion than what I would describe with Wimmeln.



That is really quite interesting. Thanks for sharing, Zanan.

And your sense of the Teeming is what I intended when writing. After all, what else but a massive eruption and endless wave of giant arachnids could give the likes of Quenthel, Pharaun, and Co. concern?

Hopefully, the description of the Wimmeln conveys the chaos and scale of the event, even if the word itself doesn't carry that connotation in German.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  10:20:44  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your reply!

The description comes over well enough, rest assured. The guys from "Feder & Schwert" know their stuff. And, by the way, sorry for using these movie analogies. I just couldn't come up with better written explanations :-/

BTW, speaking of WotSQ VI revisions and all, any way to contact you (or you me)?

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

805 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  13:42:21  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Thanks for your reply!

The description comes over well enough, rest assured. The guys from "Feder & Schwert" know their stuff. And, by the way, sorry for using these movie analogies. I just couldn't come up with better written explanations :-/

BTW, speaking of WotSQ VI revisions and all, any way to contact you (or you me)?



Zanan,

Drop me an email anytime at paulsvantekemp@yahoo.com

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2005 :  01:58:34  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Paul,

I was just surfing around the WotC products list and I saw your name listed in the Realms of Elves product description. It is to my best knowledge that you said you had withdrawn from this project a few months back.

Is this just an error on WotC's part or have you returned to the roster?
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

805 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2005 :  13:42:22  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paec_djinn

Hey Paul,

I was just surfing around the WotC products list and I saw your name listed in the Realms of Elves product description. It is to my best knowledge that you said you had withdrawn from this project a few months back.

Is this just an error on WotC's part or have you returned to the roster?



Paec,

An error. I won't be contributing a story to Realms of Elves.
Go to Top of Page

qstor
Seeker

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2006 :  18:30:43  Show Profile  Send qstor an AOL message Send qstor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not so much a question as a comment, I've really loved the Cale trilogy and I'm looking forward to your next book!

Mike McKeown
relative board newbie
<- fellow attorney in Michigan
(born and raised in MD Go Terps!)
working for Legal Services Not the *Man*

"There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom" G'Kar

http://www.twitter.com/qstor2
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

805 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2006 :  13:44:10  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by qstor

Not so much a question as a comment, I've really loved the Cale trilogy and I'm looking forward to your next book!

Mike McKeown
relative board newbie
<- fellow attorney in Michigan
(born and raised in MD Go Terps!)
working for Legal Services Not the *Man*



Mike,

Thank you very much. That is kind of you to say. Whereabouts in Michigan are you? I live on the eastside and practice law in Troy (a northern suburb).
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2006 :  08:57:40  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back on this board now for the first time in 2006, so Happy New Year to everyone!

SPOILERS hereafter ...

Mr. Kemp, I just finished Midnight's Mask and I have to say that I was as much surprised by the Sojourner's actual plan as I was about the description of the Halflings' afterworld. The latter should become a must read for DMs and players, as it will surely ease their trouble/pain having their game heroes killed.

I wonder what the Wizards' designers will make of the removed tear of Selūne though. ... Or how they will incorporate it in the Timeline, as it is indeed some sort of a Realms-shaking event.

A couple of more things about Resurrection ... dunno whether I asked them as yet. Lolth was described as a multi-body being of eight spiders, one took over the form of one of the "heroine's", appearing somewhat drider-like. What is your imagination of Lolth? Is she one being consisting of eight bodies with one conscience (in a way like the borg of Star Trek and their queen)?
Secondly, how do you picture Lady Penitent's appearance ... and did you hand any ideas over to the designers? To keep consistency with novels and sourcebooks.

Zanan

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

805 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  14:58:59  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Back on this board now for the first time in 2006, so Happy New Year to everyone!

SPOILERS hereafter ...

Mr. Kemp, I just finished Midnight's Mask and I have to say that I was as much surprised by the Sojourner's actual plan as I was about the description of the Halflings' afterworld. The latter should become a must read for DMs and players, as it will surely ease their trouble/pain having their game heroes killed.

I wonder what the Wizards' designers will make of the removed tear of Selūne though. ... Or how they will incorporate it in the Timeline, as it is indeed some sort of a Realms-shaking event.

A couple of more things about Resurrection ... dunno whether I asked them as yet. Lolth was described as a multi-body being of eight spiders, one took over the form of one of the "heroine's", appearing somewhat drider-like. What is your imagination of Lolth? Is she one being consisting of eight bodies with one conscience (in a way like the borg of Star Trek and their queen)?
Secondly, how do you picture Lady Penitent's appearance ... and did you hand any ideas over to the designers? To keep consistency with novels and sourcebooks.

Zanan



Zanan,

I'm pleased you enjoyed MM.

As for Lolth's appearance, I think she can take any of several forms. It just so happens that she choose the eight-spiders form for WotSQ. Thinking of gods as having a multiple consciousness strikes me as a good way to conceptualize it, though. After all, most gods have several aspects, multiple avatars, possible some Chosen, and, AND, despite the canon of recent years, I remain convinced that the Lolth of Oerth, the Lolth of Faerun, the Lolth of wherever, are each some aspect of the same Lolth.

I see the Lady Penitent as having a dessicated drow form, taller than average, with limbs somewhat elongated and suggestive in form of a merging with something arachnoid (not a drider-like form, though, but something still bipedal). Facial features stil suggest Halisstra's original beauty, but also include fangs and six small vestigial eyes in the brow. Arachnoid hair pops here and there from the skin of her body, though it is not black but bleach white.

I did share much of this with one designer (Eric Boyd) when he queried me after finishing Resurrection.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  10:17:01  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for that reply! Good to know that one of the chief designers is keeping a close look at the events too ... which may result in something like Lady Penitent finding a way into a sourcebook. And if she looks like you described her above ... well that would mean more continuity between novels and sourcebooks, which is good news indeed.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

qstor
Seeker

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  14:32:10  Show Profile  Send qstor an AOL message Send qstor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[/quote]

Mike,

Thank you very much. That is kind of you to say. Whereabouts in Michigan are you? I live on the eastside and practice law in Troy (a northern suburb).
[/quote]

I'm in Clinton Twp and work for Legal Services in Macomb.

I go to most of the major game conventions in the area. I think I was at UCon 2 years ago (?) when you were a guest but didn't get a chance to stop by. I'm active in the RPGA and I was DMing for them.
btw I saw your post on ENworld on Traveller I'm a big Traveller fan too. I post there as Qstor too

Mike

"There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom" G'Kar

http://www.twitter.com/qstor2
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4906 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  23:21:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Paul

I was re-reading your short story in 'Realms of the Dragons' last night and wondered if there was any information you could give us in terms of the origins of the temple that is shunted into the Plane of Shadow. Is it from Faerūn or another plane? If it is from Faerūn, I'm assuming it's a temple to Shar. Where was it located in 'the world'? What ties did it have to the Realms? Thanks in advance.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 33 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000