Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 [2e] Monster Mythology Update Project
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11693 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2021 :  14:14:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AuldDragon

Rellavar Danuvien, the Frost Sprite King: https://bit.ly/3yxZo92

One of the deities straddling the boundary between the Seldarine and the Seelie Court, Rellavar Danuvien is the king of the frost sprites and a member of the outer circle of the Seelie Court, as well as being a rising power of the reclusive snow elves. He is a protector deity who looks out for elves and faeriefolk who are endangered by harsh weather and natural disasters.

Jeff

OOOOO, this one is one I've had a lot of fun speculating about for an obscure/little known deity, and yet never came up with anything definitive. I had fun making hints that there's some lost history and links between him (King of the Frost Sprites) and Auril's fey aspect, Aurilandur "Queen of the Frost Sprites". Can't wait to see what you did with him.

His staff-spear
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4462114

A book / dice box I created with below description
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4462381

A book box for you dice, minis, etc.. that looks like a possible story book from Toril.

Title
Aurilandür, Rellavar, and the Black Diamond
A Frost Sprite Story of the Winter Court

Back Cover Text
Narrating Voices and Illusory Images
Phantasmically provided by
The Blackstaff, the Seven Sisters,
Jillian Doncastle, Mage-Priest of Deneir,
and Lorey, the psionic sai cyclopedia

Typography Translation into Earth
Common provided by Jillian

Footnotes, Longwinded Historical
Tangents, and Entirely Innocent
Rude Remarks by Lorey.

Text protected by Illusory Script
to prevent secrets from getting out
to the unprepared. Simply speak
the trigger to remove protections
and start the programmed illusions.
Activation words are the name of
Dove's Pet that Elminster brought
home from the Wizard's Fair.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 01 Sep 2021 14:21:34
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2021 :  23:16:12  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like clockwork! Thanks Jeff.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2021 :  03:06:28  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem! Hope you guys enjoy the latest entry! :D

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11693 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2021 :  14:49:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No problem! Hope you guys enjoy the latest entry! :D

Jeff

Just curious... the Winter Witch... your own creation or did you find some realmslore? Hinting to the new lore of the Aevendrow?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2021 :  15:51:36  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jeff, have you thought about doing an entry for Gelf Darkhearth? He is the gnomish god of entropy and revenge (and Garl's brother, to boot) and was introduced in the 3.5e book Races of Stone.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2021 :  16:19:14  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Just curious... the Winter Witch... your own creation or did you find some realmslore? Hinting to the new lore of the Aevendrow?

My own creation, vaguely based on an old campaign. It was also a way to create a slightly more definite tie to the Forgotten Realms when snow elves have only very tenuous connections to the setting, and a way to show he has some appeal outside of just snow elves (and frost sprites).

quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

Jeff, have you thought about doing an entry for Gelf Darkhearth? He is the gnomish god of entropy and revenge (and Garl's brother, to boot) and was introduced in the 3.5e book Races of Stone.

Not really; a lot of the deities in the "Races Of" books highly contradicted previous canon, or entirely supplanted it. I much would have preferred expansions to canon, so I was not satisfied with those deities. If I were to ever work on them, I would likely pick and choose individuals rather than all of them.

Plus I like the idea of the core gnomish (and Halfling) deities be pretty pure, with their dark "counterpart" being grotesquely different from them (Urdlen). :)

Jeff

My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2021 :  16:34:39  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I may have to pick up that Races of Stone book to see what it says (DMsGuild has it). Perhaps it could be morphed into something more interesting. Say, there was a fight between the good and bad gods of the gnomes, dwarves, and halflings. The good guys won and history, as they say, is written by the winners. Since there is no real information about these pantheons early days, the good guys decided that all records of that period were to be destroyed to erase all records of the bad guys. But, each group selected a single "bad god" to be the sole outlet for evil members of the race. That sole bad god isn't going to say anything about the other bad ones since that would lead to a reduction in the number of its worshippers and a lessening of power.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2021 :  16:58:26  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmm, I may have to pick up that Races of Stone book to see what it says (DMsGuild has it). Perhaps it could be morphed into something more interesting. Say, there was a fight between the good and bad gods of the gnomes, dwarves, and halflings. The good guys won and history, as they say, is written by the winners. Since there is no real information about these pantheons early days, the good guys decided that all records of that period were to be destroyed to erase all records of the bad guys. But, each group selected a single "bad god" to be the sole outlet for evil members of the race. That sole bad god isn't going to say anything about the other bad ones since that would lead to a reduction in the number of its worshippers and a lessening of power.

As an example, the Dwarven section has a *different* wife for Moradin, Mya, rather than Berronar, and a *different* evil deity of greed than Abbathor, in Roknar. In the Gnomish section, "The Glutton" is a massive badger or wolverine, but serves much the same role as Urdlen. Rill Cleverthrush is another Nebelun. And finally there is the lone female Sheyana Flaxenstrand, when prior canon indicated the male gnomish deities were sad and wouldn't speak when asked about female gnomish deities.

With both cases, they took some existing deities, but then crafted a whole other pantheon around them rather than giving new, complementary options for the existing pantheons. They could have even introduced a bunch of female gnomish deities and had something about how they had recently been found, or rescued, or whatever, rather than having just the one incongruous one. It just bugged me that they seemed to ignore canon, so I am happy to ignore those books. :)

I will say that in terms of ignoring deific canon, Races of Stone is probably the worst. Races of the Wild has most of the standard elven deities, plus a couple new ones that don't really overlap too much with others, and one that can be tweaked to fit (he overlaps with Rillifane otherwise). On the Halfling side it only introduces one new deity, but it's a weird one that overlaps with Brandobaris. Also, whereas all of the deities in all the other books get at least a half page, all halfling deities (and I believe they're all there) besides Yondalla and the new one just get "stat blocks" and no descriptions. For the second "major race" in the book, really feels like they could have sacrificed something else rather than give them short shrift.

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2021 :  17:31:17  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

As an example, the Dwarven section has a *different* wife for Moradin, Mya, rather than Berronar, and a *different* evil deity of greed than Abbathor, in Roknar. In the Gnomish section, "The Glutton" is a massive badger or wolverine, but serves much the same role as Urdlen. Rill Cleverthrush is another Nebelun. And finally there is the lone female Sheyana Flaxenstrand, when prior canon indicated the male gnomish deities were sad and wouldn't speak when asked about female gnomish deities.

With both cases, they took some existing deities, but then crafted a whole other pantheon around them rather than giving new, complementary options for the existing pantheons. They could have even introduced a bunch of female gnomish deities and had something about how they had recently been found, or rescued, or whatever, rather than having just the one incongruous one. It just bugged me that they seemed to ignore canon, so I am happy to ignore those books. :)

I will say that in terms of ignoring deific canon, Races of Stone is probably the worst. Races of the Wild has most of the standard elven deities, plus a couple new ones that don't really overlap too much with others, and one that can be tweaked to fit (he overlaps with Rillifane otherwise). On the Halfling side it only introduces one new deity, but it's a weird one that overlaps with Brandobaris. Also, whereas all of the deities in all the other books get at least a half page, all halfling deities (and I believe they're all there) besides Yondalla and the new one just get "stat blocks" and no descriptions. For the second "major race" in the book, really feels like they could have sacrificed something else rather than give them short shrift.

Jeff

Thanks. That saved me some money. No need to pick those up if they are that bad.

I just wish that gnomes had been fleshed out some more. I was reading something the other day and it listed all the races except gnomes. They really are the Forgotten Ones.

Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2021 :  17:52:12  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks. That saved me some money. No need to pick those up if they are that bad.

I just wish that gnomes had been fleshed out some more. I was reading something the other day and it listed all the races except gnomes. They really are the Forgotten Ones.

Well, definitely look up some other opinions; I'm sure there are people who have very different things to say compared to me. I was looking at them specifically for this project, rather than any other reason. :)

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11693 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2021 :  18:59:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, that just goes to show how much I read the races of books besides looking at the new races/prestige classes/spells, etc.... I didn't realize there were new gnome/dwarf/elf/halfling gods listed. Let me go see what they did at least with the elves and halflings.

EDIT: Hmmm, yeah, I see what you mean, Dallah Thaun for halflings does cover a large part of the area that traditionally would have been Brandobaris. He is a bit more "rapscallion" in portrayal, but the idea of thieving, keeping secrets to use to help halfling communities, etc... would very much fit his priest's roles. The one thing though that I see that might be different is she just seems more vengeful and what might be the exact definition of "harming someone".... so for instance, lying to someone's wife so that they leave their husband just to get something they want, and effectively ruining his life as a result, might be okay to them.

On the elven deities,
Alobal Lorfiril... meh, so Lliira as an elf

Elebrin Liothiel .... meh, god of plants/orchards/harvests.. a male Chauntea

Vandria Gilmadrith .... goddess of battlefield strategy/tactics and contracts/alliances and a winged elf at that. her I like a little more. Reminds me a little of the red knight, except she's more specifically about battlefield tactics (i.e. her priesthoood isn't mention to favor any kind of tactics, even liking games of tactics). Could easily be related to Sif as well. Ironically both those gods are linked to "red", and this deity's holy symobl is an eye in red flesh.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 02 Sep 2021 19:36:26
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2021 :  19:40:12  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well, definitely look up some other opinions; I'm sure there are people who have very different things to say compared to me. I was looking at them specifically for this project, rather than any other reason. :)

Jeff

Oh, I don't need to. I had the same reaction just reading their entries in the D&D Wiki. But, I thought I would ask since if there was anyone that could turn that into something good and reasonable, that would be you.

Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2021 :  21:00:39  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
FWIW, I see Gelf Darkhearth as an alias of Diinkarazan. They are too alike aside from Gelf being slightly more benign with a CN alignment. It also explains why he's little known. Like Diinkarazan, he only makes his presence felt infrequently.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2021 :  22:03:05  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

FWIW, I see Gelf Darkhearth as an alias of Diinkarazan. They are too alike aside from Gelf being slightly more benign with a CN alignment. It also explains why he's little known. Like Diinkarazan, he only makes his presence felt infrequently.

Interesting. But he is trapped and I need someone free. Maybe Gelf and Diinkarazan are two parts of the same being (kinda like Tymora and Beshaba). He split himself when he saw how it was going. He went from an intermediate into a demigod (a distraction) and a lesser god bent on revenge hiding as a forgotten member of the gnome patheon. A wolf will chew off a leg if trapped to get free. A god could do something similar.

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 02 Sep 2021 22:04:44
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2021 :  20:18:52  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like that idea Iriaeban.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2021 :  21:59:41  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<moved to the dedicated thread>

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 16 Sep 2021 14:42:01
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2021 :  22:13:47  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Tom. Based on that idea and what happened with Diinkarazan, I am thinking of going with Gelf Darkhearth having the portfolios of revenge and sorrow based on his "origin". However, I would also think that he got away with some of the magical knowledge of Ilsensine to where he could have the portfolios of inspiration and experimentation (both can be random and thus chaotic in nature). I am also thinking about magical artifice (the creation of magical items) since Gond/Nebelun are more for purely mechanical/mundane creations. Since his symbol is a black anvil split it two, that can represent his original split from the Morndinsammen, his split with his twin brother, the breaking of himself into two entities, experimentation (it went wrong and broke the anvil), and that the anvil is not the basis for creating magic items (or freedom to create what you will without worrying about limits imposed by others).

Edit: fixed typos

Edited by - TheIriaeban on 06 Sep 2021 22:18:17
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2021 :  06:53:48  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Queen of Air and Darkness: https://bit.ly/3onJXPp

Just in time for the spookiest month of the year comes the Queen of the Unseelie Court, the Queen of Air and Darkness. Sister to Titania, the Queen was corrupted by darkness, and has become the antithesis of all the beneficent faeries stand for. She spreads the corruption that brought her down to the lands of the sylvan folk, and in this way also serves almost as a native deity of darkness for the elves of the surface. I attempted to add depth to the Queen for this entry by exploring a bit of what I think she was before her corruption, and how that shaped who she became after encountering the Black Diamond. I also drew some inspiration from other sources of the name Queen of Air and Darkness, and used that to flesh out her character as well.

If you’ve been enjoying these entries, please consider supporting the project on Patreon or Ko-Fi (Links on the blog).

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2021 :  08:07:55  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there any reason that the Queen of Air and Darkness, long may she reign, has an enmity with Mask and Bhaal?
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2021 :  13:38:44  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like clockwork!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2021 :  15:40:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Is there any reason that the Queen of Air and Darkness, long may she reign, has an enmity with Mask and Bhaal?

There was an incident involving her beloved pet osquip, a crank call, and a late-night pizza delivery.

If you value your soul, do NOT mention pineapples in her presence!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2021 :  15:56:38  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A mixture of competition and general dislike of everyone else. Mask and Bhaal would draw off elven followers that she would feel are rightfully hers, whereas Malar's following isn't quite enough of a crossover, so she can have transactional contact with him despite everything else.

Plus, for as much as Malar is a bestial monster of murderous rage, I think he's quite congenial towards anyone else (who isn't a direct competitor) who loves to run through the woods ripping faeries and elves and animals limb from limb. He wouldn't really notice if she hated him, and would still happily make deals that further those goals. ;)

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11693 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2021 :  22:21:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just curious if someone remembers offhand... are darktrees corrupted treants? I just had to look up lyrannikin and I'm wondering if its just another name for the same thing.

BTW, I like the idea of her "selling" knowledge of making black unicorns to Malarites, and then that knowledge ending up in the hands of red wizards. I don't know what they "paid" in trade, but its a good idea. I like the idea that the information was acquired from the Malarites by Cyricists, since the Sisters of Cyric are the most well known black unicorn cavalry in Thay.

I noted you mentioned her using hell hounds, shadow hounds and yeth hounds. The shadow hounds and yeth hounds make sense. Why hell hounds instead of like winter wolves?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2021 :  22:41:55  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just curious if someone remembers offhand... are darktrees corrupted treants? I just had to look up lyrannikin and I'm wondering if its just another name for the same thing.

According to their Monstrous Compendium Entry:
"Dark trees are a failed experiment of a renegade wizard of Halruaa. The mage, Benauril, was intent on creating servants that would serve him as well as treants. He invested a great deal of time and much research into necromancies and other foul magic. He was delighted with the success of his experiments on the trees, until the trees turned against his will and slew him."

Doesn't say if he modified trees or treants; I'm inclined to say normal trees if only because their stats are different.

quote:

BTW, I like the idea of her "selling" knowledge of making black unicorns to Malarites, and then that knowledge ending up in the hands of red wizards. I don't know what they "paid" in trade, but its a good idea. I like the idea that the information was acquired from the Malarites by Cyricists, since the Sisters of Cyric are the most well known black unicorn cavalry in Thay.

Yeah, I felt that trading knowledge like that served her purpose of corruption, and gets her something (undefined) in return.

quote:

I noted you mentioned her using hell hounds, shadow hounds and yeth hounds. The shadow hounds and yeth hounds make sense. Why hell hounds instead of like winter wolves?

The material specifically mentions yeth hounds and hell hounds. I added shadow hounds because they're the Abyssal counterparts (from Giantcraft) to hell hounds. Plus, since hell hounds are LE, and yeth hounds are NE, shadow hounds at CE completes the "set" of the three evil supernatural hounds. Winter wolves on the other hand are natural (plus I was trying to lessen seasonal ties). :)

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2021 :  07:11:23  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

A mixture of competition and general dislike of everyone else. Mask and Bhaal would draw off elven followers that she would feel are rightfully hers, whereas Malar's following isn't quite enough of a crossover, so she can have transactional contact with him despite everything else.

Plus, for as much as Malar is a bestial monster of murderous rage, I think he's quite congenial towards anyone else (who isn't a direct competitor) who loves to run through the woods ripping faeries and elves and animals limb from limb. He wouldn't really notice if she hated him, and would still happily make deals that further those goals. ;)

Jeff

Shouldn't she also really hate Nerull and Pyremius, then? Nerull is sort of a double-whammy for her, since he lays claim to the darkness she rules as well as murder.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11693 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2021 :  17:47:50  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The material specifically mentions yeth hounds and hell hounds. I added shadow hounds because they're the Abyssal counterparts (from Giantcraft) to hell hounds. Plus, since hell hounds are LE, and yeth hounds are NE, shadow hounds at CE completes the "set" of the three evil supernatural hounds. Winter wolves on the other hand are natural (plus I was trying to lessen seasonal ties). :)

Jeff

gotcha, so original source material. I was wondering if there was some kind of like "wild hunt" story or something like that with fire breathing wolves/hounds or something related to her and that's where you got it. You did some good research on alternate names of her. I'd never heard of the others besides Mab.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2021 :  22:39:12  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Shouldn't she also really hate Nerull and Pyremius, then? Nerull is sort of a double-whammy for her, since he lays claim to the darkness she rules as well as murder.

Oh, possibly. I have a much better picture in my head of how I think most of the Realms deities operate compared to those from Greyhawk. However, there's more to these deities than just their portfolios. Nerull is a pretty classic Grim Reaper-style deity, like Myrkul was. His darkness is the darkness of death and oblivion, whereas the darkness of the Queen is that of night and corruption. Similarly, Nerull's portfolio of murder is more of an indiscriminate one, whereas the Queen desires the murder of those who cannot/will not be corrupted. For Pyremius, he's a Suel deity, and popular among the Scarlet Brotherhood. They're very human-supremacist, so I don't think there'd be much crossover with elven worshipers. I don't think there are very many elves mixing in with majority Suel populations, even outside of the Scarlet Brotherhood.

It's really though elves that the Queen comes in contact with most non-elven deities in terms of competing for worship.

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2021 :  23:04:04  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

gotcha, so original source material. I was wondering if there was some kind of like "wild hunt" story or something like that with fire breathing wolves/hounds or something related to her and that's where you got it. You did some good research on alternate names of her. I'd never heard of the others besides Mab.

Oh, I think there's definitely an element of a Wild Hunt sort of thing going on, but it's more of the ephemeral elements, like the fear-creating baying of hunting hounds rather than the hard elements of a hunstman out on a hunt.

The research was pretty interesting; I really wanted to find some real folklore/literary stuff to draw from, especially that was outside of the more recent fiction of the Unseelie Court. I waffled back and forth as to whether to even use Mab, as she was used quite frequently for a clearly non-malignant faerie, at least early on. I was trying to figure out if her change to an evil entity was entirely recent or not. I wasn't able to find anything concrete, but did end up going back to Mercutio's speech (in Romeo and Juliet) to create the possible "original" version of the Queen of Air and Darkness.

Nicnevin is from Scottish folklore, and had a similar pedigree as Mab as far as I could tell, and Orcades/Morcades is from 13th century Arthurian legends and the precursor to later tradition's Morgause (Queen of Orkney). I added those in because Morgause was the titular character in TH White's second Arthurian novel, "The Queen of Air and Darkness" (previously named "The Witch in the Wood").

I really wanted to try for a different interpretation of her compared to a lot of interpretations out there today. :)

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11693 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2021 :  14:15:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Oh, I think there's definitely an element of a Wild Hunt sort of thing going on, but it's more of the ephemeral elements, like the fear-creating baying of hunting hounds rather than the hard elements of a hunstman out on a hunt.

The research was pretty interesting; I really wanted to find some real folklore/literary stuff to draw from, especially that was outside of the more recent fiction of the Unseelie Court. I waffled back and forth as to whether to even use Mab, as she was used quite frequently for a clearly non-malignant faerie, at least early on. I was trying to figure out if her change to an evil entity was entirely recent or not. I wasn't able to find anything concrete, but did end up going back to Mercutio's speech (in Romeo and Juliet) to create the possible "original" version of the Queen of Air and Darkness.

Nicnevin is from Scottish folklore, and had a similar pedigree as Mab as far as I could tell, and Orcades/Morcades is from 13th century Arthurian legends and the precursor to later tradition's Morgause (Queen of Orkney). I added those in because Morgause was the titular character in TH White's second Arthurian novel, "The Queen of Air and Darkness" (previously named "The Witch in the Wood").

I really wanted to try for a different interpretation of her compared to a lot of interpretations out there today. :)

Jeff

Yeah, googling Morcades brought me to the story that she was Gawain's mother and wife to King Lot. It also called her by the name I'm more familiar of (Morgause), which makes her the mother of Mordred and the sister to Morgan Le Fay.

The part I mainly find interesting in that is the idea that if one were to involve her in a D&D version of Arthurian legend, perhaps the earthly Morgause might be a warlock/witch of the Queen of Air and Darkness. Her sister Morgan Le Fay might be similarly inclined as well. Then again, they might both be hags in a D&D game, and one might serve the QoA&D and the other Cegilune.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2021 :  23:46:41  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, googling Morcades brought me to the story that she was Gawain's mother and wife to King Lot. It also called her by the name I'm more familiar of (Morgause), which makes her the mother of Mordred and the sister to Morgan Le Fay.

The part I mainly find interesting in that is the idea that if one were to involve her in a D&D version of Arthurian legend, perhaps the earthly Morgause might be a warlock/witch of the Queen of Air and Darkness. Her sister Morgan Le Fay might be similarly inclined as well. Then again, they might both be hags in a D&D game, and one might serve the QoA&D and the other Cegilune.

I don't plan to connect Cegilune to Morgan Le Fay. I have other plans for the hag goddess. :)

Jeff

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000