Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  14:12:40  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

No question - just a "welcome back Elaine, you've been missed." .

Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  14:31:33  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message
There'll be a graphic novel featuring Arilyn? Excellent. Of what length will it be, roughly speaking?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  15:05:59  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Karzak

There'll be a graphic novel featuring Arilyn? Excellent. Of what length will it be, roughly speaking?

I'm not sure. Since I'm new to the process, I'm just learning the ins and outs. The outline has yet to be approved, and I haven't yet heard what length the story will be. It's still early days on this.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  17:28:36  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Karzak

I'll speculate...

PREVIEW lists issue 1 and 2 as double size. Double size means 48 pages. Now 1 and 2 features Drizzt and Raistlin, so that'd be 24 pages each issue minus advertisement space.

Assuming they stay double size and split between characters, that's pretty accurate. Of course, just the launch comics could be double size and eventually they'll go down to regular size and feature only one character. I'm just hoping we'll see more then 1 comic with Arilyn. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 16 Jan 2008 17:31:36
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  02:48:47  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message
A whole series would be nice. But we'll all just have to buy that issue so that Wizards know we want an Arylin comic book series.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Pierre-Luc
Acolyte

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  09:19:47  Show Profile Send Pierre-Luc a Private Message
Mrs. Cunningham, thank you for your answer. I have another question: I'd like to know what happens to Shakti Hunzrin after the Windwalker novel? During the War of the Spider Queen, is she the Matron Mother of House Hunzrin and does she stil worship Vhaeraun?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  13:31:46  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Pierre-Luc

Mrs. Cunningham, thank you for your answer. I have another question: I'd like to know what happens to Shakti Hunzrin after the Windwalker novel? During the War of the Spider Queen, is she the Matron Mother of House Hunzrin and does she stil worship Vhaeraun?

I've often wondered that, myself. Unfortunately, this question falls beyond the scope of my published books, so I can't say with any authority what might or might not have become of Shakti. Keep in mind that this is a shared world, and that some other author or game designer might be working on a project involving Shakti even as I type this. When I say that my guess is as good as yours, I'm not being evasive.

That said, I would welcome a chance to revisit Shakti. She was on an interesting path when we last saw her, and it would be fun to explore the possibilities.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  13:48:20  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

A whole series would be nice. But we'll all just have to buy that issue so that Wizards know we want an Arylin comic book series.

Trust me, I encourage the purchase of this issue and every other, but I feel obliged to point out that Wizards isn't the company making the decision about what stories become comic books. Graphic novel publisher Devil's Due has a license from WotC to translate stories into comic books; this publisher, along with the project editor Jim Lowder, will be deciding what's published and when--subject to WotC approval, of course.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 17 Jan 2008 15:25:33
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  20:46:54  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
Well the we need to bombard Devil's Due's fan mail with Arilyn requests after the first story gets published. ;)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  20:15:06  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message
Hi Elaine!

I was wondering when your last Songs & Swords book (Reclamation) would hit the shelves. I found contradicting information on the net:

amazon.de gives the 4th of March 2008 as the release date while amazon.com and The FR Library have the 4th of November 2008.

I assume amazon.de (Germany) is wrong than?!?

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  21:02:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Hi Elaine!

I was wondering when your last Songs & Swords book (Reclamation) would hit the shelves. I found contradicting information on the net:

amazon.de gives the 4th of March 2008 as the release date while amazon.com and The FR Library have the 4th of November 2008.

I assume amazon.de (Germany) is wrong than?!?

It was originally scheduled for March or April, but got pushed back to November.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  20:16:23  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
I hadn't heard that. Boo! Hiss!

On a different note, I just wanted to say that I'm really glad, Elaine, that you've been writing in the Realms for a while now. Counselors and Kings is my favorite series of yours, and what with Halruaa's destruction in the mind-numbingly stupid 4e transition, you wouldn't have had a chance to write in in the future. So thanks for giving us Tzigone and Mateo while you can, and, as far as I'm concerned (and the games I'm running are concerned as well), they'll both live long, happy, exciting lives and die in bed at a respectably old age.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  21:23:46  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

On a different note, I just wanted to say that I'm really glad, Elaine, that you've been writing in the Realms for a while now. Counselors and Kings is my favorite series of yours, and what with Halruaa's destruction in the mind-numbingly stupid 4e transition, you wouldn't have had a chance to write in in the future. So thanks for giving us Tzigone and Mateo while you can, and, as far as I'm concerned (and the games I'm running are concerned as well), they'll both live long, happy, exciting lives and die in bed at a respectably old age.

Thanks for this, Hoondatha.

Funny you should mention Halruaa. I just found out last week about the changes coming to that land. (I wasn't kidding when I said I haven't been paying much attention to 4E developments.) The Counselors & Kings books have gone out of print, but since WotC has been reprinting other OOP books with new covers, I thought there was a chance that they might turn up again sooner or later. But with Halruaa quite literally falling off the map, I think the chances of this have probably dropped from slim to miniscule.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  21:48:55  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
Well, there's always hope that Liriel might have a say in the New Realms, perhaps within New Rashemen.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  22:21:07  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Well, there's always hope that Liriel might have a say in the New Realms, perhaps within New Rashemen.

I suspect she'd have a hard time with the transition. As a cleric of Mystra, she'll be especially hard hit by 4E developments.
Go to Top of Page

GS
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  22:37:40  Show Profile  Visit GS's Homepage Send GS a Private Message
Hello Elaine,

First I must say, that I have been a fan of your writing since Elfsong.

After the book, Reclamation, are there any other Realms book in the pipeline? You may have answered this question already, but I could not find anything.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  22:43:09  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by GS

Hello Elaine,

First I must say, that I have been a fan of your writing since Elfsong.

After the book, Reclamation, are there any other Realms book in the pipeline? You may have answered this question already, but I could not find anything.

Thanks, GS. Elfsong was a lot of fun to write.

I do not have any FR books in the pipeline after Reclamation. At this point, I'm just focusing on getting it finished and into the hands of my long-suffering editor.
Go to Top of Page

GS
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  23:29:03  Show Profile  Visit GS's Homepage Send GS a Private Message
Wow, your fast at replying. I was about to edit my post since I have now trawled through the last 25, or so, pages of this "topic" and have come across a couple of replies that you have made, that have answered my previous question.

You said, in a former post, that you have pitched the next installment of the S&S series two times without getting the go ahead. That came later. I did not think that you, of all people, had a hard time getting your wish when it came to writing within the Realms.

Another question: Why is Reclamation the "last" book in the series? I know I have to wait and see, but is it your idea that this be the last book in the series or WotC's.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  00:15:07  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by GS

You said, in a former post, that you have pitched the next installment of the S&S series two times without getting the go ahead. That came later. I did not think that you, of all people, had a hard time getting your wish when it came to writing within the Realms.

Freelance writers only see a part of the picture, so a story that sounds like a good idea to me might not fit in the overall plan. And sometimes I've pitched a story idea that was very similar to something already in the pipeline. For the most part, over the years I've written what the folks at TSR/WotC have asked me to write. In addition to the Realms, I wrote a Spelljammer book and a book in a YA line that came and went over a dozen years back. I'm sort of analagous to an infield utility player in baseball.

quote:
Another question: Why is Reclamation the "last" book in the series? I know I have to wait and see, but is it your idea that this be the last book in the series or WotC's.

Reclamation is the last book in the series for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the upcoming edition change and the fact that the timeline will be moved ahead 100 years.

I'm very pleased to have a chance to revisit these characters and wrap up a long-running story arc.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  00:20:07  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
But but....you could just have Arilyn and Danillo step into a time portal or something!

Then we could keep them!

*sad fanboy pleas*

:-)

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  04:03:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Well, the 104 year jump means that Azariah could bump into her half-brother...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  04:07:18  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

But but....you could just have Arilyn and Danilo step into a time portal or something!

Then we could keep them!

Heh. Well, thanks for the thought, but I don't see this happening.

Still, you never know. "Ever in motion, the future is," and so on.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  04:21:58  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
Stasis bubbles are your friend!

;-)

"I was petrified by a Beholder. I got better."

But yes, I look forward to it Elaine.

I hope you get more books to write, too.

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  09:10:45  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

I suspect she'd have a hard time with the transition. As a cleric of Mystra, she'll be especially hard hit by 4E developments.

Ach well, Zanan's goddess got vaporized and she is still about. Obviously, we already (will) have one drow walking the surface in 100 years, but the whole scenario opens up various path of developement for Liriel (and her fellow Mystrans). Then again, we need to know what will happen to the deity in question before speculating on certain characters. I'd certainly miss "Ms. Rascal".

Any word on her lich-mentor?

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  10:11:16  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message
My personal hope is we'll see Danillo eventually become *A* Blackstaff, as unlikely as that is.

But I do have a question, whose your favorite "non-hero" after Elaith?

Go to Top of Page

Pierre-Luc
Acolyte

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  16:09:16  Show Profile Send Pierre-Luc a Private Message
Mrs. Cunningham, I'd like to know what happens with Kymil Nimesin after his failed attack on Evermeet ? Thank you very much.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  16:56:30  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:

Mrs. Cunningham, I'd like to know what happens with Kymil Nimesin after his failed attack on Evermeet ? Thank you very much.

That question will be answered in RECLAMATION.
Go to Top of Page

Pierre-Luc
Acolyte

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  19:14:13  Show Profile Send Pierre-Luc a Private Message
Great ! When will it be available ? I look forward to getting my hands on it !
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  23:06:58  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:

Great ! When will it be available ? I look forward to getting my hands on it !

November 2008, gods willing.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  23:09:32  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
Elaine,

Nice tease with Redemption. Can't wait for the new book, but this was a nice diversion.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000