Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  02:41:54  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham
I'm going to write with the mindset that this will be my last book in the Realms.

While, I'm sad to read that sentence, I more than understand the reason after going through your entire post.

"Not fade away..." is a line that came to mind after reading your post.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  04:07:25  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
Elaine, thank you.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  05:32:59  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
Elaine,

I rather had the idea that such was going to happen, in time - and that was one of the reasons I felt the urge to post, before you were totally done with your stories.

No matter how Rich paints his Elves, to me, you'll always be the undisputed Queen of the Elves.

If ever you have absolutely any thoughts about Elven lore or stories from the old days, current rules and mindset be damned, I would absolutely love to gobble it all up.

Thanks from me, too.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD

Edited by - GothicDan on 19 Jun 2006 05:34:35
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  12:36:05  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo
I certainly hope that the statement which Mace Hammerhand highlighted earlier is also not the case, and that it is simply a way of descibing the frame of mind in which ye will be writing the novel, rather than an insight of thy future with WotC.

I always cringe a bit when people use the phrase "foreseeable future." Unless someone is a lot more psychic than I am--or possibly a prophet--the future is isn't all that predictable. Sure, there's cause and effect, chaos theory, leading indicators, the best laid plans, and the horoscope in your local paper, but Yoda put it best: "Ever in motion, the future is."

Which is why I never say never.

But this book is the last Songs & Swords book. It will close the story line that started with Elfshadow, my first published book. It is an ending, and for me, a fairly profound ending. Whatever I might write in the future, this book says farewell to two characters that have become old friends--people who occasionally show up in my dreams.

The Realms is changing. If I return to Faerun in the future, it is likely to be a very different place. To my way of thinking, any future stories would be so different as to constitute a new beginning.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  13:17:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

Gentlemen, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad to hear that you've been enjoying Evermeet and Elfshadow, but it is unlikely that I will revisit Evermeet or follow up on the Tree of Souls story.

Times and editorial tastes change, and Faerun is a significantly different place since second edition, the setting for most of my elf books. According to WotC advertising copy, Richard Baker's Last Mythal trilogy "redefines the elves of Faerun." According to Mr. Baker, his intention was to "rehabilitate" the gold elves. Even allowing for marketing hyperbole, such comments are significant.

I've learned the wisdom of "never say never," but at this point, it seems unlikely that I'll be working with Faerun's elves after I complete the sixth and final book of the Songs & Swords series, which I'm currently outlining. But trust me, I'm far from finished with the elves of Evermeet, and this book will give the Fair Folk a lot to think about. In this book, I'll be wrapping up several long-running story threads, redefining moonblade lore, giving closure to certain plot threads and character development arcs, and developing some of the vaguely Arthurian themes that run through the series. I'm going to write with the mindset that this will be my last book in the Realms.

Whether that is actually the case or not, time will tell, but it's not a bad attitude to take toward this particular project. A series that started in 1991 is coming to an end; if that isn't sufficient motivation to strive for satisfying closure and the best possible story I can write, I don't know what is.

I'm truly saddened to hear this may in fact be a possibility for you Elaine. It's understandable, of course... given your extensive body of work within the Realms, and that you'd slowly develop a focus toward bringing some of your most longest running tales to a final point. But it's still news that's floored me nonetheless.

Regardless of what you decide and whatever the future brings to you in terms of Realms fiction... know that I will always follow your work -- FR or not -- you've got a fan for life here!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Jun 2006 13:19:14
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  17:45:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I think the Sage said it best. I shall simply echo his sentiments.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  18:01:28  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
I hate saying me to; but as Wooly said, the Sage said it best and there is little more to add.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  00:46:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
God, reading these last few comments is making me sad. Perhaps "sad" in a good, wistful way, though.

Whenever Elaine's upcoming novel comes out, I'll be certain to read it, even though the experience is likely to be bittersweet.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  04:18:04  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Alaundo wrote and asked me to clarify, as it seems that people are reading more into my post than I intended to put into it.

To recap:

FR is an ever-changing world, and since 3E elves are portrayed differently from 2nd ed elves, I doubt I’ll be writing more elf-related novels.

That was one point. New issue: I’m approaching the final book of the Songs & Swords series with the MINDSET of it being the last book I’m writing in the Realms—whether or not that proves to be the case. Right now, I'm concentrating on this story, focusing on wrapping up this long-running series, and settling the affairs of these much-loved (by me...) characters. This isn't an easy thing to do. I NEED to think in terms of endings, finality, farewells. Hence the use of the term "MINDSET." I'm not predicting the future, I'm describing my current state of mind.

Third point. As previously stated, I believe one should never say never. Yes, the S&S series is coming to a close, and yes, I doubt I'll be writing more books about Faerun's elves. Again, as previously stated, I'm not ruling out the possibility of a new beginning in the future. But right now, I've got to focus exclusively on endings.

Future queries about "Will you write another Liriel/Elaith/Tree of Souls/etc book?" will get a simpler answer: "Right now I'm concentrating solely on the book at hand. Once that's finished, I'll think about the future."

It's a better answer--short and unambiguous. :)

And by the way, I finally figured out how to resolve the recent moonblade snafu. The new plot elements fit the lore, they're dramatically logical, and they provides several nifty gaming hooks.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 20 Jun 2006 04:26:06
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  04:24:58  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
You know Elaine . . . no one has ever done a gnomish epic in the Realms . . .
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  04:33:18  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Indeed. They seem to appear mostly in (ahem) short stories. ::ducks::

Seriously, there WAS a gnome-intensive book in the Harper series--Soldiers of Ice, by David Cook. Not exactly an epic, but it did give considerable insight into a particular gnome culture. Interestingly, these gnomes were fighters, not tinkerers, and there wasn't a bit of comic relief in sight.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  04:34:00  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
quote:

And by the way, I finally figured out how to resolve the recent moonblade snafu. The new plot elements fit the lore, they're dramatically logical, and they provides several nifty gaming hooks.

Polish women seem to have a good grasp on how to deal with impossible situations . . . I know this because that's the reason my wife can deal with being married to me .
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  04:36:04  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Indeed. They seem to appear mostly in (ahem) short stories. ::ducks::

Seriously, there WAS a gnome-intensive book in the Harper series--Soldiers of Ice, by David Cook. Not exactly an epic, but it did give considerable insight into a particular gnome culture. Interestingly, these gnomes were fighters, not tinkerers, and there wasn't a bit of comic relief in sight.

Oh, that was bad Elaine

Oddly enough, that is one of the Realms books I never had the chance to read. Not a slight on it, just got shuffled down the list when other books came out, and I never got around to reaquireing it.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  04:41:03  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:

quote:

Polish women seem to have a good grasp on how to deal with impossible situations . . . I know this because that's the reason my wife can deal with being married to me .

Polish women can find creative ways to cook with cabbage and potatoes. Next to the culinary challenges inherent in our culture, plot problems and difficult men are relatively minor matters.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  05:21:37  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
My wife, upon hearing your response, would like to respectfully point out that "difficult men" is an oxymoron . . .

I am growing more exited as I hear about this book, and I'll be eagarly counting the days until it comes out. I miss Dan's wit. And with any luck WOTC will find an artist to capture Arilyn the way that Todd Lockwood captured Liriel.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  05:43:40  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
Man, I got all excited when I read "Dan's wit" at first... Haha.

Hey, Elaine.. What if we pay you to write for us? ;)

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  05:50:55  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Hey, Elaine.. What if we pay you to write for us? ;)

You do. It's called "buying books."
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  05:58:53  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
Oh. Well, I've got that covered, then!

*Makes note on next trip to Border's to buy a bunch of Elaine's books*

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  06:07:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

It's a better answer--short and unambiguous. :)
Ah, that's better!

I appreciate the clarification Elaine, thank you .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  06:11:47  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
Also, I just noticed this, Elaine:

quote:

See, Elaine.. That's exactly why I wrote my post in the first place! It's an example of you working with lore, past and present, to try to meld it all together and explain things via story. I really wish that was something the 3E mindset was more up to doing - I really don't like retconning, not when such already previously-detailed things are the subject of them.

I can't wait to see your solution!

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  08:02:42  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
quote:

Originally posted by KnightErrantjr

Oddly enough, that is one of the Realms books I never had the chance to read. Not a slight on it, just got shuffled down the list when other books came out, and I never got around to reaquireing it

Oh, Soldiers of Ice is one of my all time favorite Realms novels. Many people don't like it, but I would heartily recommend it. Think of it as a sort of Mountain man (or Woman) and Indians story with Harper's, gnomes and gnolls.

If that scared you there is a good chance you wont like the book, but I would still say you should give it a shot. As I have mainly seen negative comments about it over the years, could you maybe give us your thoughts about it when you finish?
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2006 :  08:18:58  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
Elaine,

thanks for the clarification :)

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  01:50:49  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:

That was one point. New issue: I’m approaching the final book of the Songs & Swords series with the MINDSET of it being the last book I’m writing in the Realms—whether or not that proves to be the case.

I understood what you meant, but it still feels a bit sad to me.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  04:28:02  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

That was one point. New issue: I’m approaching the final book of the Songs & Swords series with the MINDSET of it being the last book I’m writing in the Realms—whether or not that proves to be the case.

I understood what you meant, but it still feels a bit sad to me.

Me as well since.. well... I wanted to do a backflip when I heard Wizards approved another S&S novel.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 24 Jun 2006 04:28:43
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  04:44:53  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Elaine, I just started reading the Magehound (I know, I'm sorry, it took me a while to get to the Councellors and Kings books), and I keep thinking about Mentats and Bene Gesserits when I read about the Jordain and the breeding programs and all of that (although the purification ritual caught me by surprise . . . though likely not as surprised as the poor unsuspecting Jordain initiates, I'll bet).

Were you a fan of the Dune books, or am I just taking insular societies having selective breeding programs and mystics orders and ascribing them a bit too narrowly . . .?
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  16:11:01  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message
Personally, I thought the Jordain resemble the Jedi a whole lot more, heh. The Bene Gesserit's breeding programs are a lot gentler and don't leave the mothers as gibbering husks, and mentats are rather specialized -- they're human computers rather than advisors, per se, and as far as I know they haven't been martially trained. (Some are, but it doesn't appear to be an essential part of their training.)

The really brutal breeders would be the Tleilaxu.
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  14:40:35  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
I was just reading the Blackstaff (Spoilers) thread and saw a big spoiler that might have some impact on your character of Danilo Thann.
This might not be the thread to comment on this, but I would be curious about the reaction of Danilo and his lady love over the events of Blackstaff the novel.

(Maybe not in this thread, as The 'Blackstaff' Novel thread might be better especially since it has a spoiler warning for those that might want to keep the secrets secret!)

Thanks and I hope this is no trouble.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2006 :  14:51:19  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

I was just reading the Blackstaff (Spoilers) thread and saw a big spoiler that might have some impact on your character of Danilo Thann.
This might not be the thread to comment on this, but I would be curious about the reaction of Danilo and his lady love over the events of Blackstaff the novel.

(Maybe not in this thread, as The 'Blackstaff' Novel thread might be better especially since it has a spoiler warning for those that might want to keep the secrets secret!)

Thanks and I hope this is no trouble.

No trouble, but I think you're right that this thread isn't the place to discuss BLACKSTAFF.

The next (and final) Arilyn and Danilo book will be set in late 1368, early 1369, which is several years before the events of BLACKSTAFF, so Danilo's reactions will not be a matter of public record.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  01:03:30  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Hey Elaine,

I just remembered I wanted to ask you this question...remember how Queen Beatrix in the Counselors & Kings was into making clockwork animals and such? I don't recall if this was ever explained in the novels, but I came away wondering what sparked her interest in such things. Was it because--if I recall correctly--Beatrix was becoming withdrawn and prefered less demanding company than normal human beings and other creatures? Or was she just interested in the idea of "living toys"? Both? Neither? Don't mind me, just idly speculating.

Take care,

Rinonalyrna

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 12 Jul 2006 01:03:54
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  02:15:48  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I just remembered I wanted to ask you this question...remember how Queen Beatrix in the Counselors & Kings was into making clockwork animals and such? I don't recall if this was ever explained in the novels, but I came away wondering what sparked her interest in such things. Was it because--if I recall correctly--Beatrix was becoming withdrawn and prefered less demanding company than normal human beings and other creatures? Or was she just interested in the idea of "living toys"? Both? Neither? Don't mind me, just idly speculating.

This obsession had more to do with an inability to connect with living people than from an interest in clockwork for its own sake.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000