Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2006 :  02:02:17  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

[quote][i]Elaith's family was wiped out by drow raiders when he was an infant. Maybe the gnome heard a rumor through her trade contacts that suggests a tie to that long-ago event. Elaith has never actively attempted to avenge the attack on Craulnober keep, but such information would be very likely to inspire him to take action. The opportunity would simply be too tempting to pass up. He might get the gnome to deliver goods that are a Realms variation of either a Trojan horse or smallpox-infected blankets--with or without her knowledge and complicity. That might stir up trouble for her in the future, thus suggesting a possible adventure hook.

Yes... marvelously insidious!
Now, mind you, Iyiss has lost her fortune and her family has nearly been entirely wiped out by the duergar/drow retribution throughout the last few years. If she has learned that an elf lord in Waterdeep has lost kin to the same butchers, she will no doubt contact Elaith. What is interesting here is that Elaith found out about her knowledge of this BEFORE she sought him out... and now, her new business partner (the Garl Glittergold high priest PC) has inquired into Elaith through a local bar owner...

This is bound to cause DRAMA!

Will the protective father figure move too fast and try to 'teach a lesson' to Elaith, in over-protectiveness? will Elaith observe from a distance for a while and contact her whenever he feels she is 'ripe' for a 'new partnership?' (i.e. perhaps her new master must be dealt with for her to be fully commited? )

Or will Iyiss surprise them all (she *has* an INT score of 22 - 20 without the headband - and a total Sense Motive of +20, which further increases in any business situation... she can literally read people like books, and could no doubt sense Gerbo Stumbleduck's overprotective behaviour... )
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2006 :  02:32:37  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

If I had one wish from WOTC, it would be for you to get to do a series of Elaith books.

Yep. Me, too.

quote:
How does Elaith feel about the Eldreth Veluuthra? Has he ever run across any members of the organization?

If some member of the group confided in Elaith a plan of their to recruit his involvement, how would he react and what actions might he take?

To be candid, I haven't given this matter any thought. To be even more candid, I don't know what the Eldreth Veluuthra IS.

Yeah, I'm a little behind on FR elves.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2006 :  02:36:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Have you got a copy of Cloak & Dagger handy Elaine?

They're pretty much covered inside. And in Lords of Darkness and the more recent Champions of Ruin.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2006 :  02:43:57  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Have you got a copy of Cloak & Dagger handy, Elaine?

They're pretty much covered inside. And in Lords of Darkness and the more recent Champions of Ruin.

Thanks for the references. I don't have any of these books handy--Andrew tends to appropriate my reference books as soon as they come in.

I've been writing other stuff for quite a while, so I'm not current with FR game products. Once I start working on Songs & Swords #6, I'll definitely have to catch up.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2006 :  02:45:02  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Essentially they are a group of elven supremecists that act against other races covertly.
Go to Top of Page

the obsolete
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2006 :  02:46:38  Show Profile  Visit the obsolete's Homepage Send the obsolete a Private Message
i am about half way throught city of splendors. it has been a good book with the alamagation, elaith and the young nobles. my only question so far is, who are the two people on the front cover?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2006 :  03:03:46  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by the obsolete

i am about half way throught city of splendors. it has been a good book with the alamagation, elaith and the young nobles. my only question so far is, who are the two people on the front cover?

Honestly? Your guess is as good as mine. The guy with the red cloak might be Beldar Roaringhorn, but the other person? No clue.

It's not a bad cover, though. I do like the color scheme.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2006 :  03:11:43  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

If I had one wish from WOTC, it would be for you to get to do a series of Elaith books.

Yep. Me, too.

Of course, if I got one wish from you after I got my one wish from WOTC, it would be to see what Elaith would do to a certain gold elf of the Nimesin family if he caught up with him . . .

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 22 May 2006 03:12:09
Go to Top of Page

the obsolete
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2006 :  22:23:22  Show Profile  Visit the obsolete's Homepage Send the obsolete a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Honestly? Your guess is as good as mine. The guy with the red cloak might be Beldar Roaringhorn, but the other person? No clue.

i thought the female was asper. i have another question concerning the city of splendors novel. why did naoni still marry when she knew beldar was really korvaun?
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2006 :  08:08:20  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
Perhaps she was only interested in his body

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2006 :  11:12:18  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

i thought the female was asper. i have another question concerning the city of splendors novel. why did naoni still marry when she knew beldar was really korvaun?

Out of duty and respect?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2006 :  13:15:53  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
This may be a bit of an inane question, but I'm a little bored of bayesian statistics

I noticed in Evermeet that the elven 'sleep' is referred to as Revery, whereas in other books I've read it's called Reverie.

Is there any explanation or exciting reasoning or simply just a progression of the spelling? In which case I'm curious as to when and why it was changed if such answers exist
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2006 :  13:27:28  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

This may be a bit of an inane question, but I'm a little bored of bayesian statistics

I noticed in Evermeet that the elven 'sleep' is referred to as Revery, whereas in other books I've read it's called Reverie.

Is there any explanation or exciting reasoning or simply just a progression of the spelling? In which case I'm curious as to when and why it was changed if such answers exist

I'm not aware of any exciting reasoning or explanation, but perhaps the development of a standardized Novel Style Guide might have something to do with it. In the 2005 FR Novel Style Guide, this term is given as "Reverie, the," so you can safely regard this as the correct usage.
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2006 :  15:02:02  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message
There is a Novel Style Guide?

Could we see this, or is it for authors only?

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2006 :  15:57:49  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Jindael

Authors, proofreaders, and copy editors only.

In addition to confidentially issues, I invoke here the law of sausage-making: sometimes, the less you know about the process, the more you're likely to enjoy the product.
Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2006 :  17:21:36  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message
quote:

quote:

In addition to confidentially issues, I invoke here the law of sausage-making: sometimes, the less you know about the process, the more you're likely to enjoy the product.

Fair enough, as as expected.

I sure do enjoy my sausage too!

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2006 :  21:44:15  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I remember when a preaching vegetarian described to me how McDonalds beefburgers were made. She went into long and gory details and after her gripping tale said 'What do you think of that?'

I had to answer truthfully that all I could think about the whole time was a nice Big Mac
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2006 :  22:00:53  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
I remember when a preaching vegetarian described to me how McDonalds beefburgers were made. She went into long and gory details and after her gripping tale said 'What do you think of that?'

I had to answer truthfully that all I could think about the whole time was a nice Big Mac

Evangelical vegetarians! I know the breed well.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2006 :  23:45:34  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Now this raises an interesting query vis-a-vis Realmslore: does Toril have tofu? (Mmmm ... yummy, yummy tofu with black bean sauce ... ... mmm ... drool ....)

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2006 :  01:53:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

My girlfriend's mom is a vegan... But she's cool with being around people eating meat. However, that still doesn't make it safe to innocently ask "What is veal?" Guess how I found that out?

I generally justify my consumption of meat by saying that the cow was born to wind up on my plate. I'm just helping it achieve its destiny.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2006 :  13:04:15  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
I'm cutting back on my online time. Recently I've gotten into the habit of browing the FR Novels thread, but I'm going to limit my involvement on the Candlekeep forum to this thread only. Thanks to the nifty feature that sends me an email when someone posts here, I'll stop by when there's a new comment or question.

Thank you. Carry on.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2006 :  14:34:44  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

My girlfriend's mom is a vegan... But she's cool with being around people eating meat. However, that still doesn't make it safe to innocently ask "What is veal?" Guess how I found that out?

I generally justify my consumption of meat by saying that the cow was born to wind up on my plate. I'm just helping it achieve its destiny.

If god hadn't wanted us to eat animals why did he make them out of meat?

-Kaladorm, proud member of the society 'for every animal you don't eat I'm going to eat three'
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2006 :  15:43:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

I'm cutting back on my online time. Recently I've gotten into the habit of browing the FR Novels thread, but I'm going to limit my involvement on the Candlekeep forum to this thread only. Thanks to the nifty feature that sends me an email when someone posts here, I'll stop by when there's a new comment or question.

Thank you. Carry on.

Will this affect your time with your online journals as well or just here at Candlekeep?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 30 May 2006 15:45:56
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2006 :  16:20:20  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Will this affect your time with your online journals as well or just here at Candlekeep?

I'll continue keeping my online writing and reading journals. When I dive into high-productivity mode, I do a lot of "thinking with my fingers," and the blogs offer a place to do this. Also, there will be quite a bit to report in the coming months.

Other than Candlekeep, the only message boards I visit are the Authors' Avenue threads on GenCon.com, the comments on my Amazon.com blog, and, occasionally, the RAS message board. I've taken an extended leave of absence from the RAS board, and I'll check the other two boards perhaps two or three times a week.

I'll also be staying away from other writers' blogs. I've gotten into the habit of checking Harley Stroh's blog (choosedeath.blogspot.com) when I get my morning email, and following links to see what my fellow fantasy writers are up to, comment on their posts, add an encouraging words, just say howdy--whatever. Very pleasant, but time-consuming.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 30 May 2006 16:54:20
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2006 :  23:37:05  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

I am a happy vegetarian, but I used to eat meat. Still, even after four years, whenever I see nice and tasty meat I begin to drool

Although I am not a "fanatical" vegetarian, and I never preach against eating meat or fast food, I *was* shocked when I saw the documentary 'Supersize Me'.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2006 :  08:52:42  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message
Elaine,

Perhaps it's because it's nearly 4 am in the morning and I haven't really slept as much as I should, but I've been reading a ton of backlogs of this thread, and I just got the urge to tell you what an amazing writer I think you are.

I read Evermeet for the first time a few years ago, and I must say that the novel, combined with the 2E sourcebooks on Elves (Cormanthyr, Fall of Myth Drannor, Ruins, the Evermeet supplement, etc.) made me utterly fall in love with the Tel'Quessir. This is, in very large part, due to the rich tapestry of plot and culture you pained in the Evermeet novel. After far too many years, I recently picked up Elfshadow, and it's near the top of the stack of my books to read. :)

Not only do I praise your writing style, but I also commend you for trying hard to keep things consistent to both lore and mechanics, current and past, which is a lot more than I can say for many of the more recent novelists (not going to name any - but considering my love of all things Elven, you may be able to extrapolate). I truly hope that you will continue to help detail the wonderful tale of the Tel'Quessir as FR grows and changes, because along with Mr. Ed Greenwood and Steve Schend, I see you as the most capable, respectful, and well-learned of Elven sages.

-Way- back when, you mentioned writing an updated, expanded version of the Evermeet novel... And if you did, I'd personally send you a dozen roses. And maybe some chocolates. (Hope that doesn't sound too creepy. I'm not a stalker, I swear!)

Anyway.. Er.. Yes. Done for the late-night Elaine worship... For now!

Ta!

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2006 :  15:16:35  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

[snip]After far too many years, I recently picked up Elfshadow, and it's near the top of the stack of my books to read. :)
[snip]-Way- back when, you mentioned writing an updated, expanded version of the Evermeet novel... And if you did, I'd personally send you a dozen roses. And maybe some chocolates. (Hope that doesn't sound too creepy. I'm not a stalker, I swear!)[snip]
Now I'll tell YOU what's creepy: I also recently started Elfshadow (near the end as I write this) I agree with Dan's assessment of your writing style: you certainly bring a puff of fresh air to Realms literature. Bravo Elaine! and please follow up with that 'New Elven Kingdom' book, with that Tree of Souls and such...
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2394 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2006 :  20:06:43  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Gentlemen, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad to hear that you've been enjoying Evermeet and Elfshadow, but it is unlikely that I will revisit Evermeet or follow up on the Tree of Souls story.

Times and editorial tastes change, and Faerun is a significantly different place since second edition, the setting for most of my elf books. According to WotC advertising copy, Richard Baker's Last Mythal trilogy "redefines the elves of Faerun." According to Mr. Baker, his intention was to "rehabilitate" the gold elves. Even allowing for marketing hyperbole, such comments are significant.

I've learned the wisdom of "never say never," but at this point, it seems unlikely that I'll be working with Faerun's elves after I complete the sixth and final book of the Songs & Swords series, which I'm currently outlining. But trust me, I'm far from finished with the elves of Evermeet, and this book will give the Fair Folk a lot to think about. In this book, I'll be wrapping up several long-running story threads, redefining moonblade lore, giving closure to certain plot threads and character development arcs, and developing some of the vaguely Arthurian themes that run through the series. I'm going to write with the mindset that this will be my last book in the Realms.

Whether that is actually the case or not, time will tell, but it's not a bad attitude to take toward this particular project. A series that started in 1991 is coming to an end; if that isn't sufficient motivation to strive for satisfying closure and the best possible story I can write, I don't know what is.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2006 :  23:01:52  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message
quote:
I'm going to write with the mindset that this will be my last book in the Realms.

Um...

Despite me not really liking that thought, heck so far your work ranks highest in my Realms-library, I can understand that you as a writer have to move on, populate your own worlds so to speak.

Although I haven't published professionally in a shared world, I did so in fanzines... way back... did I enjoy it? Only to a degree, having ouside restrictions on the way I want a story to go, frustrated me more and more, creatively.

I'd be very sad to see you leave the Realms behind

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2006 :  23:18:26  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:

Gentlemen, thanks for the kind words. I'm glad to hear that you've been enjoying Evermeet and Elfshadow, but it is unlikely that I will revisit Evermeet or follow up on the Tree of Souls story.

Times and editorial tastes change, and Faerun is a significantly different place since second edition, the setting for most of my elf books. According to WotC advertising copy, Richard Baker's Last Mythal trilogy "redefines the elves of Faerun." According to Mr. Baker, his intention was to "rehabilitate" the gold elves. Even allowing for marketing hyperbole, such comments are significant.

I've learned the wisdom of "never say never," but at this point, it seems unlikely that I'll be working with Faerun's elves after I complete the sixth and final book of the Songs & Swords series, which I'm currently outlining. But trust me, I'm far from finished with the elves of Evermeet, and this book will give the Fair Folk a lot to think about. In this book, I'll be wrapping up several long-running story threads, redefining moonblade lore, giving closure to certain plot threads and character development arcs, and developing some of the vaguely Arthurian themes that run through the series. I'm going to write with the mindset that this will be my last book in the Realms.

Whether that is actually the case or not, time will tell, but it's not a bad attitude to take toward this particular project. A series that started in 1991 is coming to an end; if that isn't sufficient motivation to strive for satisfying closure and the best possible story I can write, I don't know what is.

Well met

Beautifully put, Elaine and although tinged with a feeling of sadness as well as excitement, this is probably the most anticipated novel for me in a long time. I simply can't wait

I certainly hope that the statement which Mace Hammerhand highlighted earlier is also not the case, and that it is simply a way of descibing the frame of mind in which ye will be writing the novel, rather than an insight of thy future with WotC

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly