Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 97

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2352 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2006 :  15:19:08  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm
Just because it can't use a moonblade doesn't mean that it can't be a powerful elven blade.

I couldn't agree more. A magical sword is a compelling fantasy trope, and creating a unique history for a sword can be a particularly enjoyable bit of worldbuilding.

Moonblades are a complicated and admittedly brutal version of King Arthur's Excaliber. They were intended to choose a king or queen. That is their intended function, period. No one who is NOT capable of ruling, no matter what their alignment or character might be, can wield a moonblade. There are very few active swords, and every wielder is considered a possible heir to Evermeet's throne, in the event that the Moonflower family should die out. Trust me, the elves keep track of the moonblades and their wielders. These swords have a very specific purpose, and the elves do not take kindly to the notion that they can be shoehorned into other uses.

quote:
If the Starym Moonbalde is myth, I wonder if a member of the Victorous Blade of the People (Is that right?) might try to create a magical sword based on that myth as a rallying point? Or some other purpose? Perhaps minor "Starym" blades with Human and Half-elf bane properties?

It's an interesting theory.

quote:
Might be an interesting plot hook in there somewhere.

A story that establishes the Starym Moonblade as a myth... Hmmm....
This is an intriguing notion. How about a cross-genre story, one that brings Jack Bauer to the Realms to "question" Volo about his sources?

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 08 Feb 2006 15:30:02
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32117 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2006 :  17:25:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kazzaroth

Well, I try the follow the generall lore of the moonblades because I respect the work what authors have writed and I want to try stick 'real as possible'. Anycase I recall that some moonblade was corrupted thanks Moander, the god of plaque by bringing the sword into ruins of Moander's temple in Cormanthor (do not recall the timeline but it was in Cormanthor section). Also name of the guy was mentioned but I do not recall it :P.

Ok, so I stick somewhat to the story what I had in mind, but I thank you for the replies and also I am glad that I could be some help :).

From page 115 of Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work ):

quote:
With the aid of Moander, god of corruption, Illitran secretly employed special magics to eliminate the character-test powers of the moonblade,causing them to become inactive in the instant after drawing the blade but before the sword could judge his character. The Starym moonblade's magic was altered to deliver a powerful electrical jolt to any wielder not of pure elven lineage, but to accept any pure-blooded elf wielder regardless of character.

The book is available for free on the Wizards downloads page.

I'm at work, so I don't have LEoF handy. However, I am of the opinion that a powerful deity could, if he/she chose, alter/corrupt a moonblade the way Moander corrupted the Starym moonblade. Other than that, I totally agree with what Elaine has already said.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Feb 2006 17:27:01
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2006 :  19:20:34  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

No one who is NOT capable of ruling, no matter what their alignment or character might be, can wield a moonblade. There are very few active swords, and every wielder is considered a possible heir to Evermeet's throne, in the event that the Moonflower family should die out.

This really casts Arilyn, and half-elves, in a more thought-provoking light. As a moonfighter, she is a potential ruler (however little interest she may have in that role, and that disinterest seems to have been shared by Thasitalia, who weilded it at the time of the Kingblade's aclaim of Zaor Moonflower, and Arilyn's mother, Amnestria).

The idea that a half-elf might rule, in an age when elves are in their twilight, and must depend upon good relations with humanity (the dominant race of the age) makes a good deal of sense, but must be a bitter pill for the elves to swallow.

And I have to say that Amlaruil's reluctance to acknowledge her own grand-daughter and grant her the freedom of Evermeet (and damn the noble houses who object) really makes Amlauril much less sympathetic in my eyes. The blade proves Arylin's worth, as have her deeds. It would be nice to see the Queen of Evermeet finally acknowedge Arilyn, officially.

Call it a wish for the future novel(s).

Edited by - Vangelor on 08 Feb 2006 19:23:25
Go to Top of Page

Kazzaroth
Learned Scribe

Finland
104 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2006 :  19:23:52  Show Profile  Visit Kazzaroth's Homepage Send Kazzaroth a Private Message
Intresting, if another deity can corrupt a moonblade, can a demon lord lore based epic spell do same trick? Vyshaanti after all did not deal at all directly whit fiends overall but they taked alot lore and guidance from Malkizid. So if they had created so calledly a 'soulreaver' sword, which purpose was to drain soul of the wielders, would had gone even so far that it could drain/mimic some moonblade essence when it struck on the moonblade (henceworth shattering it) and then so calledly 'copy' some of it's powers while not being a moonblade.

The process would be a somewhat a agicall version how greater doppleganger asumes a identity, so that it is perfect all ways almost and the greater doppleganger cannot mimic the greater arcane spells and only minimal amount of divine spells whit not associated domains at all. At least this way I planned how the sword becomed to be in some point in it's history in the plot what I plan to run. I know it is agaisnt some basic lores of the moonblade, but if there is official source saying that a god can corrut a moonblade, then a sword imbued by powerfull epic fiendish sorcery could do the same and we do not speak even corrupting the exchisting moonblade but rather sword starts mimic it's ARCANE pattern by it's own potent power. The evil sword would be unable mimic any divine related abilities or the unic divine connection what moonblades have.

I just toughted that if the sword would mimic arcane pattern of the moonblade, then any arcane divine spell would say it is a moonblade while any divine divination wold reveal it is not. This would explain why the player's characther's family believes it is a moonblade.

Sorry for the rant, I quit now :P. Just typed what I myself thinked about the subject and it's posibillities.
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2006 :  19:38:29  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message
I'd again call attention to the fact that Volo is not a reliable source. Since moonblades are what they are - a device for assuring the best possible rulership for the elves - I would say that any other deity's tampering with one would attract the attention of the Seldarine, as it imperils all elves. I can't see Corellon ignoring this or letting it slide...
Go to Top of Page

Kazzaroth
Learned Scribe

Finland
104 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2006 :  19:59:25  Show Profile  Visit Kazzaroth's Homepage Send Kazzaroth a Private Message
Well, Moander was banished from the Faerun more than once already and first time likely occured in Cormanthor and it is said that altough he is twinkling god, he still ahves a divine spark left so it is half-dead god. So Moander have received it's punishment but another god cannot undo what other god have doned, and even that case not directly but rather by hands one of Corellon's children and Corellon publicly saying a moon elf tainted a moonblade can be quite bitter thing to swallow and accept.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32117 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2006 :  20:15:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Vangelor

I'd again call attention to the fact that Volo is not a reliable source.

Yeah, but Elminster is. And the intro plainly states that Elminster went back behind Volo and fixed much of what the book contained.

Plus, Volo had nothing to do with LEoF. I'll have to check it for myself, but it's already been stated that that tome also says a moonblade can be corrupted.

quote:

Since moonblades are what they are - a device for assuring the best possible rulership for the elves - I would say that any other deity's tampering with one would attract the attention of the Seldarine, as it imperils all elves. I can't see Corellon ignoring this or letting it slide...

The blades were made by mortal hands. Unless Corellon was specifically and personally tracking each blade, 24/7, it could easily be corrupted without his knowledge. Besides, this is Moander we're talking about -- the deity that managed to corrupt another deity. If Tyche -- a major goddess! -- became corrupted without noticing, what's going to ping Corellon's attention to a single blade, one of many, made by one of his followers?

Go to Top of Page

Kazzaroth
Learned Scribe

Finland
104 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2006 :  20:50:39  Show Profile  Visit Kazzaroth's Homepage Send Kazzaroth a Private Message
I agree that mortals do mistakes and blades were blessed by Corellon, COrellon had ordered them to be created but he did not himself do them. I think corrupted moonblade loses the divine spark what Corellon gives to them, so only the enchaments in the blade would remain and some characther picking ones would be corrupted. Also if we think about the universal rule about balance; Where is good there must be evil somewhere. So there could be a ONE corrupted moonblade (like there are corrupt and fallen paladins and even solars are not immune to this law so why would a mortal crafted item would be).
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2006 :  23:22:12  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

I'd again call attention to the fact that Volo is not a reliable source. Since moonblades are what they are - a device for assuring the best possible rulership for the elves - I would say that any other deity's tampering with one would attract the attention of the Seldarine, as it imperils all elves. I can't see Corellon ignoring this or letting it slide...

And as I said in the other thread, Cloak & Dagger also mentions this blade and Eric chimed in and he said that it was/is a moonblade. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
32117 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2006 :  00:06:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Lost Empires of Faerűn, page 128:

quote:
523 Year of Trials Arcane
Younger members of the Starym clan return to Myth Drannor, claiming lordship of the clan and its moonblade. After a secret trek to Moander's ruined temple, Lord Illitran Starym corrupts the Starym moonblade and manages to wield it in a false show of loyalty to Myth Drannor.

Cloak & Dagger, page 62:

quote:
The Starym Moonblade (CE longsword +3, +5 vs. humans and half-elves, Int 17, Ego 22): A weapon borne by the founding member of the Eldreth Veluuthra known as the Scourge, the Starym Moonblade is currently lost, but may yet attempt to return to the Eldreth as the embodiment of the Victorious Blade of the People. If so, it will dominate a member of the Vel'Nikelyma who is both a moon elf and a member of House Starym. Corrupted by the power of Moander, the Starym Moonblade can teleport without error itself and its current wielder, detect the direction and distance of gems and precious metals within 100 yards, expand its sentience and powers every time it is inherited by a full-blooded elven scion of House Starym, and create a mythal ghost that can utter a wail of the banshee once per day. Full details on this artifact may be found in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (TSR #9535).

So, with no disrespect intended to anyone, I think the existence of the Starym moonblade must be accepted as established, canonical Realmslore. You are certainly free to do as you will within your own campaign, but the blade does exist.

You know... It's not entirely out of the question that another blade could have been corrupted. What about one corrupted by a team of drow mages? They could give it to a drow who has been transformed into a moon elf, and let the "moonfighter" act as their agent within elven communities. Better, they could do something like what Kymil Nimesin did -- use their magic to twist the powers of the blade to their own purposes. First they find the blade, they alter it, and then they make sure it makes it back into moon elven hands...

Or what about a moonblade that has gained sentience, learned that a ruler of Evermeet has been selected, and thus refuses to be wielded? It'd be a bit tricky to work out, but it could be fun. Imagine the elven PC who finally recovers his family moonblade, lost 200 years previously... only to discover that it has its own agenda, and it has nothing to do with the would-be moonfighter!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 09 Feb 2006 00:08:33
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2006 :  00:45:25  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

So, with no disrespect intended to anyone, I think the existence of the Starym moonblade must be accepted as established, canonical Realmslore. You are certainly free to do as you will within your own campaign, but the blade does exist.
As I see it now, it is a "former" Moonblade, much as Eric said in the other scroll Kuje alluded to above.

Quoted here for completeness -

quote:
Not to disagree, with the lovely Elaine, but in my opinion, as the creator of said Starym Moonblade, I would characterize it as a "former moonblade." It was a moonblade. Then it was corrupted by a god (Moander). Therefore, it's not really a moonblade any more, but obviously it is still referred to as such (and thinks of itself as such).

--Eric

PS FWIW, if I recall correctly, I developed the Starym Moonblade after Elaine created the concept of a moonblade in Elfshadow / Elfsong, but before she published Evermeet: A Novel. In fact, I may have created it while she was writing Evermeet. In any event, if I had seen her later most excellent Realmslore on moonblades in Evermeet, I might not have created it. Water under the bridge.
The whole "thinks of itself as such"... could lay the ground work for some realised errors in the internal Realmslore at play in the actual campaign -- in other words, lore than the PCs come across.

Details about the Starym Moonblade are complete enough for the PCs to assume the blade is still as it was before the corruption -- rather a pure Moonblade. They are simply not privy to the details about the time in which Illitran eliminated the character-test powers of the blade.

Other internal lore may actually relate more to Darkmoon, the blade as it is now... and therefore not really a Moonblade in the traditional sense -- thanks largely to Moander's influence. But when the PCs encounter it, they are left with conflicting details since the blade still thinks of itself as a Moonblade.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2006 :  00:57:43  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Elaine, I am currently desperately trying to think of something to ask you that has absolutely nothing to do with Moonblades, for fear that your increadibly creative head might explode . . . just what would Jack Bauer do to Volo anyway?

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2352 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2006 :  01:11:03  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message
Working in a shared-world setting requires flexibility, and time and again I've adapted to changing rules. But there comes a time when a concept has gone so far afield from your original idea that it is no longer "yours." If you can no longer work with it, the only thing to do is walk away. I think moonblades and I have come to a parting of the ways. I'll have to adjust the final Swords & Songs book accordingly.

::shrugs:: It happens. Bob Salvatore had planned to write a trilogy about the bladesinger Josidiah Starym, but when he discovered that the character introduced in a short story had been detailed in various game products, he realized the story was no longer his to tell.

Comes with the territory--one of the hazards of writing in a shared-world setting.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 09 Feb 2006 01:56:02
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2352 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2006 :  01:43:47  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Elaine, . . . just what would Jack Bauer do to Volo anyway?

Many of the same things Elaith Craulnober would do to Kymil Nimesin, if he were to catch up with that particular elf.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2006 :  01:53:13  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
You continue to remind me of my wife . . . she is a recent 24 addict . . . and we'll keep my facination with a certain petite female drow wizard between the two of us. Speaking of Liriel, any chance you might sneak her into a cameo in any upcoming work, even if you don't write a full blown Liriel story?

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2352 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2006 :  02:00:19  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message
quote:

You continue to remind me of my wife . . . she is a recent 24 addict . . . and we'll keep my facination with a certain petite female drow wizard between the two of us. Speaking of Liriel, any chance you might sneak her into a cameo in any upcoming work, even if you don't write a full blown Liriel story?

Afraid not. But there IS a possibility of a new short story in the upcoming "Best of ec" anthology. Phil Athans has indicated he'd like to squeeze as much stuff in the book as he can fit, so if I have time to write a second new story, there's a chance it might make it in.

But a cameo in the S&S#6 book, no.

Has your wife ever watched a season of 24 in real time? Gotta love those DVD whole-season releases!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2006 :  02:10:19  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
She made it to about the 14 hour mark, then had to throw in the towel. But considering this is a woman that can never make it more that thrity minutes into a movie without falling asleep, that's really saying something.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2352 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2006 :  02:32:51  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message
quote:

She made it to about the 14 hour mark, then had to throw in the towel.

Lightweight.

It helps if you have weekend houseguests who are keen on the idea--you can't exactly doze off and leave them sitting there--and if you order indigestible food to be delivered regular intervals. The heartburn generated by Hawaiian pizza can keep you up a couple of extra hours.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 09 Feb 2006 15:07:45
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2006 :  11:11:34  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage  Send VonRaventheDaring a Yahoo! Message Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message
Hello Elaine,
I have to say i love your books and your writting style is very good. I have to say though i like your approach to the surface elves better than your drow elf books, but thats just my personal taste. I do love Elaith Craulnober, and love all of the twists and turns that the serpent has for all his foes, and allies. I would love to see you try your hand at some other races though I notice almost no one rights about the gnomes, the forgotten folk of the forgotten realms. lol sorry that just ammuses me anyway I was wondering about the cliffhanger from Evermeet: Island of Elves and if you are planning on delveing in to that particular plot line at all.
Also did you enjoy writting the magehound series? I have to say it is amazing especially since you give us the first real glimpse of the nation of wizards.

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2352 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2006 :  15:05:07  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message
Hi, Von Raven. Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, the Halruaa trilogy was an interesting departure. I'd never written a trilogy before, so a big part of the challenge was figuring out how to write self-contained stories that would nonetheless fit into a larger story arc. It was definitely a learning experience, and one of the most important insights it yielded was how much I have yet to learn! I enjoyed writing Matteo's story. He was, to all intents and purposes, a paladin, but he had to muddle through the way the rest of us do: dealing with moral dilemnas and difficult choices.

You asked about future writing plans. There are no plans at this time to pick up the story told in EVERMEET. As for gnomes, I'm probably too tall to get into the right frame of mind, and since the last four books I wrote focused on elven characters (Windwalker; the two Changeling books: Shadows in the Darkness and Shadows in the Starlight; and The Blood-Red Harp, the EverQuest book), it may be that a break from elves is in order. I'd have to say that I'm more in a werewolf place these days.

What I DO plan to write is at least one new short story for inclusion in a collection of my Forgotten Realms short stories, and the sixth and final book in the Songs & Swords series. That's it. I'm not saying I WON'T write another FR story, just that there's nothing else under contract or discussion.

At present, I have several ongoing projects. Shadows in the Starlight, a contemporary mystery with dark fantasy elements and the second in a series by Tor books, was released in January, and I'm waiting to hear about plans for the third book. I finished revisions to the EverQuest novel, which is scheduled for a September release. This week I'm finishing up a 30,000-word novella for a four-author anthology of "paranormal romance." My story is a mystery with a romance subplot, featuring a woman who worked in the discontinued "Star Gate" program--a real-world government attempt at psychic spying. Once the first draft for that goes in, I'll be turning my full attention back to the historical novel I've been researching and writing for several years. I plan to get that wrapped up this month, then I'll get to work on FR stuff: the short stories and the Songs & Swords novel. The stories are due in late spring, the first draft is due in early 2007. I plan to do a writing blitz and turn it in several months early.

And that's pretty much my life between now and June. I have several projects in mind, but I'm not sure what I'll be working on next.

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

626 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2006 :  16:37:26  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message
quote:
the sixth and final book in the Songs & Swords series.

I am happy and yet sad at the same time about this bit of news. I look forward to your historical project when it ever gets finished! And I can't wait for the remote viewing book.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2006 :  21:52:14  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
Well met, Elaine!

I wish to thank you for writing City of Splendors with Ed - it is simply fantastic! I have admired your writing since Elfshadow but this joint effort (hopefully that is the correct term ;) with the Bearded One has produced a book that is filled with splendid details and paints a truly "splendorous" image how life is in Waterdeep. My deepest thanks, lady!

On the other hand, I have to blame you a bit for sleepless nights and sleeping at work (which is generally considered inappropriate behaviour for a librarian)

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Starblade
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2006 :  06:24:33  Show Profile  Visit Starblade's Homepage Send Starblade a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by VonRaventheDaring

I would love to see you try your hand at some other races though I notice almost no one rights about the gnomes, the forgotten folk of the forgotten realms.

She did have minor gnome characters in Silver Shadows and the short story in Realms of Mystery.

Edited by - Starblade on 15 Feb 2006 06:25:20
Go to Top of Page

Starblade
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2006 :  06:50:07  Show Profile  Visit Starblade's Homepage Send Starblade a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Working in a shared-world setting requires flexibility, and time and again I've adapted to changing rules. But there comes a time when a concept has gone so far afield from your original idea that it is no longer "yours." If you can no longer work with it, the only thing to do is walk away. I think moonblades and I have come to a parting of the ways. I'll have to adjust the final Swords & Songs book accordingly.

That seems like an awfully harsh thing to do to Arilyn, striping her of her link to her mother and her last name in one fell swoop.

Oh well I'm sure Danilo will find some way to cheer her up. It's great that you're getting to write another novel with them after such a long time. It didn't look like another one was ever going to come out.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2352 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2006 :  12:49:45  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage Send ElaineCunningham a Private Message
Hi, Asgetrion. Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed City of Splendors.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 97 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000