Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Elaine Cunningham
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 81

Zsych
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  18:58:45  Show Profile  Visit Zsych's Homepage Send Zsych a Private Message
That would seem more of an advertising problem. You'd need suitable reviews for your work(wotc should be able to manage that).

As for the dark, mature themes.. as much as i think that FR is way too goodie dominated(which annoys me especially when goodies win by luck and not ability)... a story set in FR need not be dark.

All that's really needed are challenges, triumphs and decent character development,interaction.

Might take some research though.

Still.. if wotc isn't writing it, the market is probably still there, you could write the novels yourself and have them published by some other company(though you wouldn't be able to use FR of course :)).

Hmm... Harry Potter... none of my favorite authors have ever made the kind of money that thing seems to have generated. And it's not even all that good(though i'll admit that it was a pleasant read, especially in the earlier books)

Hmmm... what would you suggest if i wanted to write a novel Elaine? Tips, advice, warnings, anything else you'd like to say?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  19:21:42  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I think you may have missed your reply there Elaine ...

Yes, I tried to upload a response this morning and for some reason the effort timed out. Only part of the response went through. I edited the post to add back my reply. :)

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 09 May 2006 19:29:03
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  19:28:27  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Zsych

TStill.. if wotc isn't writing it, the market is probably still there...

Any book or series that becomes a huge success creates a market, and the supply of similar books rises to meet a real or perceived demand for more of the same. Browse the young adult book sections, and you'll see an explosion of new series. My feeling is that supply has outstripped demand, and that there will be a leveling off in the YA market.

quote:
Hmmm... what would you suggest if i wanted to write a novel Elaine? Tips, advice, warnings, anything else you'd like to say?

Have you stopped by my website? There's a lot of info on the FAQ page that might address some of your questions.
Go to Top of Page

Zsych
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  13:28:09  Show Profile  Visit Zsych's Homepage Send Zsych a Private Message
Hmm... about the HP issue... would depend on whether you think yourself better than Rowling :)

Just dropped by your site. Couldn't reach your blog.

The Drizzt and Liriel meeting idea has potential :D
Writing a good parody would be difficult though(or so it seems to me, but then my sense of humor is questionable).
Light hearted/funny situations like that can be nice to read though.

Personally though i think that in a world with few enough other dark-elves on the surface, Drizzt would try to meet those he came to know of(that were easily reachable).

On the deaths in your novels... Fyodor's death was sad. If he's ever resurrected i expect him to be 12 feet tall and filled with unimaginable power :) ... Just my image of a Fyodor that actually had reason to return.

The death of the magical sea-elf. I think i pitied the character, kinda tragic the death of a child's dreams(that's how he seemed to me).
Of course, my science/knowledge proliferation side finds it annoying that a source of growth is killed.

The same with the death of the greater human magical civilizations, even if they weren't all that pleasant.
What's your opinion of Netheril or Imaskar btw?
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  13:53:23  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:

Hmm... about the HP issue... would depend on whether you think yourself better than Rowling :)

She's an incredibly talented storyteller--there aren't many writers out there who are "better."

quote:
Just dropped by your site. Couldn't reach your blog.

That's odd. I just checked the link and it works.

quote:
Personally though i think that in a world with few enough other dark-elves on the surface, Drizzt would try to meet those he came to know of(that were easily reachable).

I'm not sure I agree. Drizzt has no reason to expect good things of his fellow drow.

quote:
What's your opinion of Netheril or Imaskar btw?

Oddly enough, I really haven't given the matter much thought. None of my stories have dealt with these civilizations.
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  18:46:12  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
I forget if I have asked this but...

What would you think the results of a meeting between Elaith and Drizzt be like? A good Drow and an Evil Moon Elf? Would Elaith be likely to strike first, or would he observe Drizzt first and try to think of how he can use Drizzt? How would Drizzt react to an elf with a dark side?

Just curious, as this crossover seems more possible than Drizzt and Liriel.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  19:00:59  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

I forget if I have asked this but...

What would you think the results of a meeting between Elaith and Drizzt be like? A good Drow and an Evil Moon Elf? Would Elaith be likely to strike first, or would he observe Drizzt first and try to think of how he can use Drizzt? How would Drizzt react to an elf with a dark side?

Just curious, as this crossover seems more possible than Drizzt and Liriel.

Foxhelm, this is another scenario I haven't contemplated. Since Drizzt will not be appearing in any of my stories, I haven't speculated on how Elaith might relate to him, or vice versa.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2006 :  01:16:21  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
I still love your abbreviated Drizzt/Liriel theory myself, Elaine . . .

Oh, and to back up what Elaine said about Drizzt and how he views his fellow surface dwelling drow, I'd read "Comrades at Odds" in Realms of Elves. He seems to be MORE wary than anyone of drow running around on the surface.

Edited by - KnightErrantJR on 11 May 2006 02:50:57
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2006 :  02:48:48  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Glad to hear it. The Drizzt/Liriel question has come up so frequently that I couldn't NOT think about it--at least for long enough to dismiss it with great emphasis and Buffy references.
Go to Top of Page

J L Collins
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2006 :  03:37:27  Show Profile  Visit J L Collins's Homepage Send J L Collins a Private Message
quote:
Then again, i think that it's about time someone wrote the Realms version of Harry Potter, or rather books featuring children, to get the younger lot into FR. I'm fairly sure i've never read about young teenage adventurers in any of the novels :)
(though children being heroes on an epic scale would be hard to stomach, young wizards and fighters might not be, and like i said, it's the emotions you can empathise with that make the story enjoyable... those don't have to result from world shattering events)

I wish to apologize in advance for interrupting Elaine's thread, but I wanted to point out (which results in some shameless self-promotion for myself and the other Young Dragons), that my short story in the Realms of the Dragons II anthology; A Tall Tale; does feature teenage protagonists as the main characters.

With regards to the discussion in the last few posts regarding younger readers and appropriate content levels, I can say with pride that I have had several teen and tween readers who I felt comfortable sharing my story with. My next door neighbor's son, who supposedly does not like (or choose) to read, read my short story several times, according to his parents. They were very happy about that, and never expressed any concern regarding the content matter of my story. I imagine they may not have read my fellow contributors tales, some of which venture into the dark and gritty territory.

I will add a disclaimer, that I do not consider my story to be anything resembling an attempt to mimic the tone or success of Harry Potter, but anything involving teen wizards and their magical adventures is bound to draw comparisons.

I merely wanted to mention that I was successful in pitching and seeing published a Forgotten Realms (short) story that did not feature experienced heroes or mature villains as the main characters. It may not happen all the time, and an entire novel with that theme may not appeal to Wizard's target market, but it can happen, and I was proud to be a part of that.

For what it's worth Zsych, my story does feature a young character who "fights" against the odds, and a young "would-be caster" who learns that believing in yourself is just as important as knowing others who believe in you.

"Create, don't replicate... and remember, thinking is not doing."

www.jl-collins.com
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2006 :  05:17:14  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message
quote:

Oh, and to back up what Elaine said about Drizzt and how he views his fellow surface dwelling drow, I'd read "Comrades at Odds" in Realms of Elves. He seems to be MORE wary than anyone of drow running around on the surface.

Heh, I have to say I can't blame him. One of the things I realised while reading the War of the Spider Queen was that there is probably no race as prejudiced against drow as themselves - for obvious reasons.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

darkflame millithor
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2006 :  21:25:27  Show Profile  Visit darkflame millithor's Homepage Send darkflame millithor a Private Message
Greetings Elaine, I don't know if you read these posts,but here goes nothings!
Are there any more storys about the drow and the unseelie? It is intriguing,and I always thought there should be.The hints in counsellers/kings are tantalizing teases.
I'm also very instrested in a new story or book on Kanarlis(realms of the arcane).
you have great idea hooks and I'd hate to see them go to waste! Though I do feel that the windwalker was a little open ended at the end.(no offense)

purge all weakness in the cleanzing flame of
rightousness.tear down the false idols of love,compassion,and self-sacrifice.down with the tyranny of the seldarine
Go to Top of Page

darkflame millithor
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2006 :  21:46:19  Show Profile  Visit darkflame millithor's Homepage Send darkflame millithor a Private Message
sorry for the double posts.
I just want to say of all the authors I have read You have the strongest grasp of(and imagination) how the pre-crownwars dark elves were. You seem to be the only one equipt with what it takes to bring old Illythir to life Please don't surrender the past to less worthy authors. Your writings actually give credit to the power of the old dark elves and their acheivements. A look into the past.I don't think a Liriel/drizzt crossover is a good idea because drizzt's softness my rub out on her.Lireil has gotten soft compared to her first book.please don't take the drow out of her,because she brought the plight of female drow to life for me. She doesn't need the dancing goddess ,she's a Beanre! She has the genes of an empress flowing though her veins!

rightousness.tear down the false idols of love,compassion,and self-sacrifice.down with the tyranny of the seldarine
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2006 :  12:29:50  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
Hi, darkflame. I'm glad you enjoyed my portrayal of the Illythiiri.

A while back, there were a few stories set in the Realms' distant past, but I haven't heard of any plans to delve into the Crown Wars. I think this would be a tough story to write, given the changes 3E has brought to the elves. It's not a question of me "surrendering the past" to another author--WotC decides who will write what.

At this time, I have no plans for books about the Realms'dark elves. I'm working on the final book in the Songs & Swords series, and doing a new short story for a reprint anthology.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2006 :  15:33:08  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
So now that I read the inscription to City of Splendors, I feel guilty that I waited until it came out in paperback.

Hopefully Elaine can forgive me . . .
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2006 :  16:10:16  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:

So now that I read the inscription to City of Splendors, I feel guilty that I waited until it came out in paperback.

The dedication is the same in either edition.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2006 :  16:37:14  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

The dedication is the same in either edition.

Aye, I picked up the paperback version only yesterday (to ensure that my paperback Cities series was complete). Of course, I have a personalised hardcover copy, sent very generously from a certainly lady not too far away, sitting proud on my bookcase

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

darkflame millithor
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2006 :  00:03:10  Show Profile  Visit darkflame millithor's Homepage Send darkflame millithor a Private Message
Dear Exulted Author, I wanted to know if Arilyn is old now ? I read somewhere that she was with child (Danilo's?),and Do you know if there is going to be a story about Elaith's older son(Arilyn's Halfbrother) and his daughter Azaria (how old is she now anyway?)
P.S. Thanks for responding to my last post (to tell the truth I really didn't think I'd get an answer. ARE YOU the real Elaine Cunningham? Or is this I.D theft? Please be the real one,please be the real one( darkflame prayes)

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2006 :  03:23:08  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by darkflame millithor

Dear Exulted Author, I wanted to know if Arilyn is old now ? I read somewhere that she was with child (Danilo's?),and Do you know if there is going to be a story about Elaith's older son(Arilyn's Halfbrother) and his daughter Azaria (how old is she now anyway?)
P.S. Thanks for responding to my last post (to tell the truth I really didn't think I'd get an answer. ARE YOU the real Elaine Cunningham? Or is this I.D theft? Please be the real one,please be the real one( darkflame prayes)

Hi, Darkflame.

Actually, the REAL me is a raven-haired gypsy seductress with a PhD in genetic engineering. Or, alternately, a hurdy gurdy player in a medieval fusion band who moonlights in international corporate espionage. This mild-mannered, middle-aged suburban soccer mom thing is a clever facade, nothing more.

Moving on to your Realms questions. When you say "now," I assume you're talking about DR 1375, the current time in the Realms. My stories about Arilyn and Dan, however, have only gone up to 1368. At that time, Arilyn was in her early forties, which is very young for a half-elf--the equivalent of a human woman in her early to mid twenties. No, she was not pregnant. There was a mention of a "little one" in the paperback edition of Evermeet, but I didn't intend for this comment to see print. Apparently the book was reprinted from an old file--most likely, from a file that did not reflect changes made in the galley pages. I removed this reference because the explanation would have been too cumbersome for that particular book, and I've resisted explaining the situation because I hoped to address this issue "on stage" in a new book. So bear with me a while longer, and all will be known.

Azariah was about five years old in DR 1364, the date of Elfsong, so that would make her about fifteen in current time. There was a short story in issue #335 of Dragon Magazine about Azariah, set in DR 1371. I believe this will be reprinted in the upcoming "Best of ec" anthology. There are no plans at this time to write about either of Elaith's children.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2006 :  00:53:52  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message
quote:

Hi, darkflame. I'm glad you enjoyed my portrayal of the Illythiiri.

A while back, there were a few stories set in the Realms' distant past, but I haven't heard of any plans to delve into the Crown Wars. I think this would be a tough story to write, given the changes 3E has brought to the elves. It's not a question of me "surrendering the past" to another author--WotC decides who will write what.

At this time, I have no plans for books about the Realms'dark elves. I'm working on the final book in the Songs & Swords series, and doing a new short story for a reprint anthology.

I, for one, would enthuiastically support plans for novels or supplements about the Crown Wars! I think that it would be nice to have a novel trilogy set in each war, with a "crunchy" game supplement about principal characters, specialized Elven magic and items, an atlas chapter, etc.

I am personally feeling a bit torn as I learn more about the elves and all of the horrible things which they have done. Several of my characters were declared elf-friends after they did a service for Correllon, but now that I am learning about the Sundering, the destruction of Jhamdaath, the Crown Wars, and the racism which troubled Cormanthor, I am finding it very hard to see the elves as "Good." Material about the Crown Wars would undoubtedly reveal many secrets which we know elves would prefer be hidden forever from other races, but I think that we're mature enough to handle such forbidden lore. We have already learned, for example, that elves are off-world interlopers on Toril, and that despite two thousand years of false claims, they had nothing at all to do with the creation of the Nether Scrolls (although they did steal a set and thereby help bring about the fall of Netheril). I think we can handle learning more of their dark secrets.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  06:04:49  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
quote:

Hi, Darkflame.

Actually, the REAL me is a raven-haired gypsy seductress with a PhD in genetic engineering. Or, alternately, a hurdy gurdy player in a medieval fusion band who moonlights in international corporate espionage. This mild-mannered, middle-aged suburban soccer mom thing is a clever facade, nothing more.

Moving on to your Realms questions. When you say "now," I assume you're talking about DR 1375, the current time in the Realms. My stories about Arilyn and Dan, however, have only gone up to 1368. At that time, Arilyn was in her early forties, which is very young for a half-elf--the equivalent of a human woman in her early to mid twenties. No, she was not pregnant. There was a mention of a "little one" in the paperback edition of Evermeet, but I didn't intend for this comment to see print. Apparently the book was reprinted from an old file--most likely, from a file that did not reflect changes made in the galley pages. I removed this reference because the explanation would have been too cumbersome for that particular book, and I've resisted explaining the situation because I hoped to address this issue "on stage" in a new book. So bear with me a while longer, and all will be known.

-The year has been bumped to 1375 now? I thought it was only recently 1374...

-And, it's good to know that the real Elaine Cunningham is raven-haired gypsy seductress with a PhD in genetic engineering. I don't know enough Gypsies...

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  06:21:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

It hasn't and it is still 1374 but none of us wanted to correct Elaine. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  06:31:53  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message

Hi, do you know why it's so difficult to get a copy of Thornhold? (I recently ordered all novels of this series) Amazon delayed it for the second time today..
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  06:41:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Aye.

Unless of course... Elaine's working on something for FR that takes place in 1375 DR and for her, at least, it actually is the Year of Risen Elfkin .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  18:46:00  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Hi, do you know why it's so difficult to get a copy of Thornhold? (I recently ordered all novels of this series) Amazon delayed it for the second time today..

I'm not sure why these books are so difficult to purchase. Thornhold isn't out of print, but the books seem to be in very short supply. Perhaps WotC will do a reprint run when the next book in the series comes out.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  18:48:23  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:

quote:

That's one of the hazards of being a working writer--you never know what year it is. That goes for real life, as well as the Realms. If you're working on projects that will appear in 2007 or 2008, it's hard to remember that it's still 2006.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2006 :  19:24:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

That's one of the hazards of being a working writer--you never know what year it is. That goes for real life, as well as the Realms. If you're working on projects that will appear in 2007 or 2008, it's hard to remember that it's still 2006.

Grin,

Well, you, not you in particular but you as in game designers/writers, could always ask. I tend to be a bit.... anal about the in game dates. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2006 :  20:41:44  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Hi Elaine,

One of my players' PC (a gnomish businessman) has come to the attention of Elaith Craulnobur. The gnome has taken a gnomish merchant 'princess' from the Dragonjaw Mountains under his wing (she's his cohort now). However the gnome is unaware of her past, which involved her in a coup against a large duergar mercantile caravan in the Underdark (she was part of a strikeforce that decimated the caravan, and she and other gnomes have profited immensely from the loot). The duergar and their allies have riposted, and over the years, have decimated her business interests accross the Upperdark of the Dragonjaw Mountains, which resulted in her having to flee and seek a new life (the gnomish PC is high priest and gnomish father figure for many in the Unnaproachable East). She is known to Elaith (I have not decided the reason, but would he be above sponsoring/investing in Underdark trade? )

If you can think of a better/more insidious reason as to why Elaith would be interested in Merchant Princess Iyiss Greatorm of the Dragonjaws, please indulge me, as her stay in Waterdeep will be brief (she too, would be aware - or not, he he he - of Elaith's interest... either way, she's leaving in 4 game days! )

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 21 May 2006 20:44:34
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2006 :  21:17:50  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight
...would he (Elaith) be above sponsoring/investing in Underdark trade?

I wouldn't say that he's ABOVE it, per se, but Elaith doesn't deal with drow. He has all the usual elven bias against dark elves, magnified by his family tragedy.

quote:
If you can think of a better/more insidious reason as to why Elaith would be interested in Merchant Princess Iyiss Greatorm of the Dragonjaws, please indulge me, as her stay in Waterdeep will be brief (she too, would be aware - or not, he he he - of Elaith's interest... either way, she's leaving in 4 game days!

Elaith's family was wiped out by drow raiders when he was an infant. Maybe the gnome heard a rumor through her trade contacts that suggests a tie to that long-ago event. Elaith has never actively attempted to avenge the attack on Craulnober keep, but such information would be very likely to inspire him to take action. The opportunity would simply be too tempting to pass up. He might get the gnome to deliver goods that are a Realms variation of either a Trojan horse or smallpox-infected blankets--with or without her knowledge and complicity. That might stir up trouble for her in the future, thus suggesting a possible adventure hook.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 21 May 2006 21:18:59
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2006 :  01:01:00  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
Speaking of Elaith, dear Elaine, a few questions occured to me as pertains to our favorite moon elf crime lord (BTW, I've not finished the book yet, but just getting to the part where Elaith enters the picture in City of Splendors is a great reminder of his presense. If I had one wish from WOTC, it would be for you to get to do a series of Elaith books. If I had two wishes, it would be for Liriel to act out that little "Liriel/Drizzt" skit you outlined in person. If I had three wishes, it would be to survive my wife finding out about Liriel acting out that skit . . . I should stop now . . . )

On to the question . . .

How does Elaith feel about the Eldreth Veluuthra? Has he ever run across any members of the organization?

If some member of the group confided in Elaith a plan of their to recruit his involvement, how would he react and what actions might he take?

Thanks in advance for your time . . .
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 81 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000