Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Oriental Campaing
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  10:49:36  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
As I am big fan of Robert Van Guliks writing so I would like to run that type of campaing in FR-setting using 3,5 rules.

Anybody has read Chinese Bell murders or some other novel along the line?

As those books are set in RW China at year ~700AD. One guy would play Jugde Dee equalent, I'd make him LN level 2Ftr/5Cle, at beginning. He would have absolute authority in he's domain.

He's advisor would be older butler/scribe. I would make him LN level 7Wiz.

Third member of the group would be physically strongest member Ma Joong, LN level 1Rog/3Ftr/3Rng.

Fourth member is military type Chiao Tai who is handling commanding stuff is LN level 5/Ftr/2Rng.

Fifth and final member is primary investigator Tao Gan, former con artist. TN Level 7rogue.

I would use urban ranger variant, and allow faovorite enemy human, because that would better reflect their training.
Campaing would be heavily RP and not about powerbuilds and such.

My questions about this are:
Where in FR you would set this? Kara-Tur would be obivous, but would some other place be viable as well?

What would you change in characters to make them more viable?

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  11:43:33  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not overly familiar at all with the work but I'm led to believe that Judge Dee was based on a royal courtier of the Tang Dynasty (with Van Gulik's stories being interspersed with Ming Dynasty stuff). The court of Shou Lung would be an obvious choice.

It's my opinion that Shou Lung is primarily based on the Tang Dynasty with elements from other dynasties mish-mashed into it, the state religion is an analogue for Confucianism with elements of Bhuddism and Bhuddism only really started making progress in China during the Tang Dynasty.

The court of T'u Lung would be the only other place where this might work, but from a campaign perspective it wouldn't nearly be as true to the source material as I'm sure you'd like. Hardly anyone with a measure of power in T'u Lung paid much heed to the T'u Lung court so your Judge Dee character would not have the authority that you apparently want him to.

Also, Shou Lung's court is a meritocratic system so your Judge Dee character would HAVE to be as proficient as he sounds to keep his job for more than a year.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000