Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Avrauntra
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rodrigoalcanza
Seeker

Brazil
67 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2014 :  05:05:18  Show Profile Send rodrigoalcanza a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello!

Reading the book Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms, page 185, it is mentioned that this mage, Avrauntra, was "the first and greatest Netherese arcanist." The book makes it clear that she was greater than Karsus, but does not say anything about Ioulaum. Actually, I think is very similar in importance the history of Avrauntra and Ioulaum to Netheril, but at different Ages.

Now, I have not found anything about Avrauntra in (literally) nowhere else. Books ou internet...

I also have many questions about how any mage could have such power before the magical development of Netherese after Ioulaum. The most powerful wizards and more epic spells are from that time.

Well, someone has something to say about this?

Thank you!

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2014 :  05:57:51  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed Greenwood did not author a lot of the content about Netheril. Sure, the Empire of Netheril and the folly of Karsus were all his ideas, but the majority of names, places, etc. weren't written until 1995 when Dale 'slade' Henson wrote his Arcane Age supplement about Netheril that the vast amount of more modern lore was based upon.

For a long time, Ed presented lore on Netheril to be something that common folk and adventurers wouldn't know about and that sages, though confident of the realm's existence in more than just myth, had trouble pinning down exactly WHEN Netheril existed, let alone the particulars of how it was founded and fell. Therefore, it didn't get much more than a paragraph in any of the early Ed-authored sourcebooks. Karsus didn't get a mention until FR5: The Savage Frontier where he was noted as the founder of Karse - which we now know to not technically be true - and any link to divinity was only briefly and tantalizingly mentioned.

Of course, times changed and the stories of Netheril were eventually told but, like I said earlier, many of them weren't told by Ed and I guess it just took until 2012 for Avrauntra's story to be told.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 23 Jan 2014 05:59:57
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2014 :  15:29:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What we got there was the rare glimpse of 'Eds Netheril', which we've never been privy to.

He can't share much, because it would conflict with lore that has since been created by others, but I guess he decided to share just that little tidbit with us (and considering the title/focus of that book, it makes perfect sense for it to be the vehicle for such lore).

Its one of those 'Red Slippers' he is famous for; it is meant for US to run with it, in our imaginations and in our games.

EDIT: Who is "the Greatest American"? The Greatest Brit? The Greatest German, Frenchman, Aussie, etc, etc? I guess that would depend on who you ask, and the context. Iouluam was 'the greatest' because his inventions changed Netherese society as a whole. Karsus was 'the Greatest' because he was the smartest - he was the Netherese 'Tesla'. We don't know what context Avrauntra was the 'the greatest' in - thats left open. I am sure their are dozens more - some we know and some we don't - that would also be considered 'the greatest' for one reason or another, depending on who you ask.

Whats interesting - considering the title of the source - is that then should be in Elminster's Opinion. That carries a LOT of weight.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Jan 2014 15:38:11
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2014 :  17:15:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's also possible that there isn't much more about her, even in Ed's notes. He could have noted her as a legendary figure and then moved on, because there wasn't a need for her to be more detailed... Ed doesn't leave mysteries and things unsaid in just his published stuff: Some of the lore I've gotten from him in private has dealt with mysterious disappearances or assassinations. In this lore, he's left the full story open, and actually said that the disappearance or assassination was all the information he had -- nothing on the culprits or what happened to the missing persons.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2014 :  17:29:02  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it's El's opinion, give his own views, we can work back...

So she would likely be a person working for the betterment of the realms, especially by expanding magic and magical knowledge, but at the same time taking careful stock of the results of he actions. So she can avoid or mute the negative effects of those actions.

If it's someone elses, without El's opinion... who know?

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2014 :  18:31:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was originally posted by Demzer in the other (Netheril) thread:
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

From Ed Greenwood presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms page 185, "Words of Awakening" section:

In early Netherese magic, certain words were commonly used to activate magical wards and guard spells, as well as to reveal the presence and nature of illusions by turning them translucent. Such utterances function only when said by a living being standing in the right spot-either a small, precise "feet just here" or "hand touching
this" location or a larger area like a room, according to the magic to which they're linked. Such words were favorites of Avrauntra, the first and greatest Netherese arcanist. Avrauntra tutored so many students so well that they swiftly became more powerful than Netherese priests, transforming the culture and making possible the later empire of magic that culminated in the flying cities of the archwizards.
Though many sages uphold Karsus as the greatest Netherese mage, Mystra has said it is more accurate to see him as the "most recklessly
ambitious." Avrauntra lived for centuries, suffering heartbreak after heartbreak as those she loved were slain by rival mages or perished through misadventure (often brought on by their magical experimentations). Despairing, she ultimately merged herself with the Weave, increasing its strength, vigor, and extent-and she is not the
only mage to have done so. Some believe she lives still, as a sentience within the Weave that watches all spellcasters and murmurs warnings or advice to those of whom she approves. Later spellcasters made use of Avrauntra's words without necessarily being aware of their
origins, gleaning them from ancient writings and spellbooks and believing they had power in their own right. Indeed, they did, because repeatedly used Weave trigger words increasingly influence the Weave to respond in certain ways, and if Avrauntra is still aware within the Weave, she might respond to uses of "her" words.

So yeah, it seems she was altruistic, and cared more about magic and people then herself. It also lends credence to my theories that 'soul stuff' and 'Arcane Energy' are pretty-much the same thing (as Ed used to put it, "Life = Magic"). That would mean the Ghost of Selune was actual the embodiment of the silver fire within her.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2014 :  21:19:53  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds like evidence for the 'Sentient Weave' concept that gained popularity around the end of 3E, advent of 4E era.

Not only may this be a peek at Ed's Netheril, but it could lay the groundwork for a full return of the Weave, just under a different persona than "Mystra". Perhaps it will return as a collective consciousness.

It's also nice to have more female Netherese arcanists of note and influence.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2014 :  00:33:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking the same thing. Might we find "Mystra" returned in the form of multiple mages who have given themselves up to the weave (i.e. Avrauntra, the Simbul, etc...)

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2014 :  01:16:20  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And more than a few Magisters - Jhesiyra Kestellharp (although she might be in a slightly separate category).

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 24 Jan 2014 01:17:32
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2014 :  20:36:12  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought of Jhesiyra too when I first read about Avrauntra. I always looked at her as being kind of like a spider on the web though. But who knows, maybe the Weave is identical to the Tron universe and each person merged with it is just another program.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

rodrigoalcanza
Seeker

Brazil
67 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2014 :  03:22:32  Show Profile Send rodrigoalcanza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All that was spoken here begs the question: how is the Ed Greenwood's Netheril? Does anyone know? He has given more details? Maybe here in the forum?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2014 :  04:14:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodrigoalcanza

All that was spoken here begs the question: how is the Ed Greenwood's Netheril? Does anyone know? He has given more details? Maybe here in the forum?

Ed has spoken of his version of Netheril in his previous replies here at Candlekeep.

See the "So Saith Ed" link in my signature, and search for 'Netheril' -- 'twas around 2006, as I recall.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2014 :  12:15:37  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've found references to Netheril in the Jan-Mar 2006 section of "So Saith Ed", actually. Good memory, Sage.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

rodrigoalcanza
Seeker

Brazil
67 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2014 :  17:58:53  Show Profile Send rodrigoalcanza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you! I found the references of Ed Greenwood.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000