Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Reimagining Netheril
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2014 :  06:48:47  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Weird I thought I had typed 80 instead of 30, silly me.
Either way I was wrong, but we still have quite a few blanks that could be filled

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2014 :  06:51:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Horizon is good, it could be the Netherese's first attempt at a flying enclave port for spelljammers (I never understood why the port for spelljammers was on the ground).

Of course when spelljamming was abandoned it may well have just been abandoned and floated away on its own (I noted a few of the other enclaves crash if unattended so maybe this one always stays afloat even if no one is in charge)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2014 :  07:25:55  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if an enclave could have survived by parking itself in the cauldron of a volcano? It's point could fit within it while the rest of the city rests atop it. A couple of problems could have arisen from this. First, it may not have been a perfect fit and could have leaned (think of an entire city of Leaning Towers of Pisa). This would require them to use magic to straighten them or they would have had to rebuild on the slope created. Second, if the volcano was active (perhaps they were studying it at the time of the Fall), plugging it could lead to extreme pressure building up. It could have still been destroyed in time or the city's residents may have found a way to alleviate the pressure or cause the volcano to go dormant.

Btw, Wooley, I've always liked your seafloor enclave idea.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 29 Jan 2014 07:26:36
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2014 :  07:48:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is mention of a previously active volcano in Netheril I will have to find it again
I could've sworn there were 3 undersea enclaves in the sea of fallen stars

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2014 :  11:05:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

There is mention of a previously active volcano in Netheril I will have to find it again
I could've sworn there were 3 undersea enclaves in the sea of fallen stars

There were. They were destroyed before the rest of Netheril fell.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2014 :  11:44:24  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Isnt there rumoured to be an enclave in the bay of Baldurs Gate. That could be an underwater one.

I had an idea inspired partly by Eds unfo on countering lifedrain and partly on the Netheril adventure.
How about an enclave made out of the bones of 150000 orcs that littered the bone hill after ioulaum exterminated them.
It seems like the kind of place aumvor might live.
Unfortunately I suck at names and the only one I can come up with is The Mausoleum

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2014 :  11:49:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Isnt there rumoured to be an enclave in the bay of Baldurs Gate. That could be an underwater one.

I had an idea inspired partly by Eds unfo on countering lifedrain and partly on the Netheril adventure.
How about an enclave made out of the bones of 150000 orcs that littered the bone hill after ioulaum exterminated them.
It seems like the kind of place aumvor might live.
Unfortunately I suck at names and the only one I can come up with is The Mausoleum

Baldur's Gate is on a river... Not the best place for an enclave.

There is rumored to be a fallen enclave in Tethyr's Firedrake Bay.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2014 :  11:57:58  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe thats the one im thinking of. It could have been there base for mining and exploring the ocean.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2014 :  13:57:42  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh and an odd request.

Does anyone know of any spell (maybe a 2nd edition spell) that requires copper as a material component.

It seems that the creator race in the Netheril Basin mined every mountain and ore vein containing copper until the whole basin was depleted.

I am wondering what for, and I'm hoping that it will give some insight as to what magic the Sarrukh may have worked in order to get rid of the Phaerimm.

I realise it was probably only a throw away comment by the people that made the Netheril sourcebook, but from such throwaway comments we actually have the creator races that we know of nowadays so maybe we can turn such a comment into something usable for lore.

It's possible that copper was the most valuable metal for them? Maybe it was their version of gold or platinum? Strange yes, but Sarrukh aren't human etc. Copper turns green with age doesn't it? Maybe that has something to do with it.

Edited by - Eilserus on 29 Jan 2014 13:59:35
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2014 :  15:15:18  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its another good possibility. Completely depleting every copper lode in somewhere the size of Africa (although I have no idea how big anauroch actually is) is a massive undertaking and im not sure they could do it in 5000 years using conventional means.
The only possibile way to completely strip the area is through magic and that is costly in both reagents and manpower needed to cast the spells.
So you wouldn't expend those resources without great need.

However thats just my take on it, I know that wasnt the original intention of that info but its more interesting if it is important.

That being said, the only remotely useful spell containing copper is one called Reciprocal which causes a damaging feedback loop depending on how much magic the target has.
So the very weak theory I have is that the copper was used in spells to identify where the phaerimm lived and then copper was used casting the reciprocal spell that caused the phaerimm and their home to explode, that collapses portions of the underdark and lands above which alters the flow of the water table and redirects the narrow sea.

But its a weak theory so I probably wont include it

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2014 :  16:03:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe thats the one im thinking of. It could have been there base for mining and exploring the ocean.

It's a fallen enclave, I believe, like Sakkors and Nhalloth -- so it's more likely that its presence underwater was never planned.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  15:13:20  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, so according to the Netheril sourcebook Shadow aka Telemont Tanthul disappeared into the plane of shadow in -390 DR with his wife Alashar Crywinds.

Now from what i gather Telemont fathered his children with a manifestation of Shar.

However if he did disappear into the plane of shadow in -390, then he couldnt have been ruler of the enclave of Shade when it transferred to the plane of shadow as it says in the sourcebook "using Shadow's notes".

So which is correct. Did Shadow move the enclave to the plane of shadow himself, or did someone else do it and Shadow took control of the enclave after -339 when he encountered it on the plane of shadow.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  15:41:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Its another good possibility. Completely depleting every copper lode in somewhere the size of Africa (although I have no idea how big anauroch actually is) is a massive undertaking and im not sure they could do it in 5000 years using conventional means.
The only possibile way to completely strip the area is through magic and that is costly in both reagents and manpower needed to cast the spells.
So you wouldn't expend those resources without great need.

However thats just my take on it, I know that wasnt the original intention of that info but its more interesting if it is important.

That being said, the only remotely useful spell containing copper is one called Reciprocal which causes a damaging feedback loop depending on how much magic the target has.
So the very weak theory I have is that the copper was used in spells to identify where the phaerimm lived and then copper was used casting the reciprocal spell that caused the phaerimm and their home to explode, that collapses portions of the underdark and lands above which alters the flow of the water table and redirects the narrow sea.

But its a weak theory so I probably wont include it

Bear in mind that the Old Empires entry states that those old empires were still using bronze around the time of the orcgate wars (-1076 DR). Granted, there's also an entry stating that the people's who EVENTUALLY become Narfell and Raumathar were using iron. There's also an entry that states that the humans of "Mulhorand" learn the secrets of iron from the dwarves of the Great Rift. I put Mulhorand in quotes there, because Narfell and Raumathar technically had large portions of their land under Mulhorand's control.... so likely THEY were the ones who learned of iron making from the dwarves. I link this also to the fact that only a few years after the orcgate wars end (like 5 years) they build a portal to connect to an area right next door to the Great Rift and build a city there. So, the the people of what becomes Raumathar probably had some dealings with the dwarves and had possibly just learned iron making recently before the orcgate wars.

Given that Mulhorand was a technological marvel of humanity at THAT time, would it be impossible to assume that in the almost 3 thousand years prior to this time in the Netherese empire that they also were in a bronze age? Since Bronze is simply an improvement on brass, which is an improvement on base copper (i.e. all are a copper alloy) that they may have used all the copper because that was their only real metal with any strength. NOTE: I literally am asking this question, because there may be something out there that says that Netheril had discovered iron or had its secret shared to them by elves or dwarves, etc....

From the Wikipedia on Bronze:
Bronze is an alloy consisting primarily of copper, usually with tin as the main additive. It is hard and tough, and it was so significant in antiquity that the Bronze Age was named after the metal. However, historical pieces were often made interchangeably of brasses (copper and zinc), and bronzes with different compositions, so modern museum and scholarly descriptions of older objects increasingly use the more inclusive term "copper alloy" instead.[

FROM Old Empires, pg 34

Furthermore, there is evidence to suggest that trading between the dwarves of the Great Rift and Mulhorandi gave the humans the secrets of forging steel. It was steel weapons that enabled Mulhorand to carve out an empire in the north. This more or less ended Mulhorandi developments in weaponry. Meanwhile the gods, who were more conservative than their followers, still used weapons of highly enchanted bronze.

From Old Empires, pg 3

Instead, two new powers rose to prominence after the Orcgate Wars, the
powers of Narfell and Raumathar. These were warlike nations that coalesced out of the migrating northern tribes that were paid to fight as mercenaries in the Orcgate Wars. They had weapons of iron (as opposed to the bronze weapons that Mulhorand and Unther used at the time) and soon developed powerful magic of their own. They quickly subdued large tracts of land, replacing Mulhorandi culture
with their own.

From GHotR
–1064 DR A two-way portal between the Shandaular, capital of the kingdom of Ashanath and Council Hills, far to the south in the Eastern Shaar, is opened. Shaundaular expands to encompass the lands surrounding the portal’s southern terminus.

From Old Empires, pg 83 - just including because its an interesting new material adaptation that someone might want to us

This wand is made of saltsteel, a magically hardened salt whose making
is known only to the mages of Unther.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  15:48:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It does mention in the book that steel weapons were quite expensive and that most items were purchased from elves and dwarves.

I would imagine metal items are probably iron or bronze if not steel.

However again, mining an entire area free of a metal is quite improbable.

Even with modern mining techniques and machines mining round the clock we havent run out of any metals yet and civilisation has easily been around for more than 5,000 years.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  16:08:31  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay, so according to the Netheril sourcebook Shadow aka Telemont Tanthul disappeared into the plane of shadow in -390 DR with his wife Alashar Crywinds.

Now from what i gather Telemont fathered his children with a manifestation of Shar.

However if he did disappear into the plane of shadow in -390, then he couldnt have been ruler of the enclave of Shade when it transferred to the plane of shadow as it says in the sourcebook "using Shadow's notes".

So which is correct. Did Shadow move the enclave to the plane of shadow himself, or did someone else do it and Shadow took control of the enclave after -339 when he encountered it on the plane of shadow.

This question has been bugging me for years.

Lords of Darkness says that only Telamont's sons and his closest advisors know of his true identity - the vast majority of shadovar know of Lord Shadow, but have no idea that he and the High Prince are one and the same, meaning that he was gone long enough for people to forget what he looked like.

However p115 of the Netheril sourcebook says that Shadow's method of entering the demiplane of Shadow actually left his physical body back on the material plane a la an Astral Projection spell.

Additionally, Paul Kemp's short story Too Long in the Dark says that Thultanthar was ruled by twelve princes even in -339 DR just before Karsus cast his avatar spell.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 30 Jan 2014 16:10:11
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  16:25:30  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i think the astral projection bit and body left behind is obviously wrong given what we know about planar travel.

But i have read about other arcanists using simulacrums so maybe shadow ran off to the shadow plane leaving a mindless simulacrum behind.

Then several arcanists ruled the enclave of Shade (other enclaves have been left in the hands of several arcanists to look after it while the archwizard is busy), and they decide to follow Shadow's example and travel to the plane of shadow as well, which they achieve using his notes.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  19:19:48  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well that's the first draft of Netheril done. Its mostly just organising and converting and correcting stuff in the Netheril Sourcebook.

Now to add in the extra bits from other sourcebooks before I add my take on it.

If anyone wants a copy of the doc then by all means PM me with your email address and I will pass it on.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  12:26:39  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay so i'm trying to come up with locations and status' of various enclaves at the time of the fall. I have tried to give logical positions for the enclaves based on the descriptions of what happened to them when they fell.

Also wondering about the state of their mythallars since the descriptions of a few of them mean that the mythallar is intact; and i dont buy that all mythallars stopped working because mystryl died as that is a cop out, plenty of ancient magic items still work so would the mythallars unless they were physically damaged (which most were when the enclaves smashed into the ground.

So here's what i have so far

Akintaer: Crashed into the marsh of simplicity in -339 DR. Now buried under the High Ice near the Blind Rift.
Mythallar Status: Unknown likely destroyed by the impact
Aquessir: Crashed into the side of the Shattered Tower in -342 DR. All magic on the enclave was drained by the improved mythal, all arcanists turned to dust.
Mythallar Status: Unknown likely destroyed by the impact but given its improved nature it may survive.
Anauria: Slowly fell to earth in -339 DR. Survivors settled between the Scimitar Spires and the Desertsmouth Mountains from the Bowl of Loneliness to the Stonelands.
Mythallar Status: Destroyed on impact. Given the fact that there is no indication of the survivor states using mythallars they must have been destroyed. However it states Mystra restored magic in time to save them by slowing their descent. Just a slight work around, she did restore magic in time to slow the enclaves descent, so the impact into the ground didnt kill everyone on board, but it did damage the enclave and destroy the mythallar
Asram: Slowly fell to earth in -339 DR. Survivors settled in Atar’s Looking Glass
Mythallar Status: Destroyed on impact. Given the fact that there is no indication of the survivor states using mythallars they must have been destroyed. However it states Mystra restored magic in time to save them by slowing their descent. Just a slight work around, she did restore magic in time to slow the enclaves descent, so the impact into the ground didnt kill everyone on board, but it did damage the enclave and destroy the mythallar
Delia: Determining the threat of the phaerimm and communicating results to Ioulaum and Karsus. Crashed in -339 DR. Either Delia was near the borders of Anauroch (maybe the hidden forest), or she was in the fallen lands near Karsus and Ioulaum (possibly the Greyvale).
Mythallar Status: Unknown
Doubloon: Disappeared in -442 DR after an encounter with Eileanur. Possibly banished to a demiplane (the demiplane of imprisonment).
Mythallar Status: Active
Eileanar: Crashed in -339 DR in the vicinity of the High Forest.
Mythallar Status: Destroyed
Hlaungadath: Crashed in -339 DR on the western edge of the Narrow Sea due east of Ascore.
Hlondath: Slowly fell to earth in -339 DR. Survivors settled between the Scimitar Spires and the Desertsmouth Mountains from the Bowl of Loneliness to Atar’s Looking Glass.
Horizon: The enclave of the archwizard Oberon. This enclave was much higher up in the atmosphere than any other enclave and so was far above the ground when magic was finally restored to the world. Its inhabitants had all frozen and asphyxiated due to the air and freezing temperatures of being so high when the mythallar stopped working. Capable of unmanned flight the enclave has floated with the winds above Toril at a height of 30,000 feet for 2,000 years.
Jethaere: Crashed in -339 DR.
Jockteleg: Crashed in -339 DR, as he was outcast by the other Netherese enclaves and approached by a cloud giant clan then possibly located in the Quarter of Emptiness or the Fallen Lands area.
Jiksidur: Crashed in -339 DR upside down in Narfell, now known as Hark's Finger in northern Narfell. Looted of artefacts by Larloch and the tribes of Narfell.
Lathery: Crashed in -339 DR in the central portion of the Narrow Sea (near the Teeth of Tagorlar). Population were teleported into fish tanks once magic was restored so mythallar is active.
Lhaoda: Toppled by the phaerimm lifedrain spells in -427 DR.
Maunator: Destroyed in -1657 DR by a super powered Meteor Swarm spell.
Negarath: Unknown
Nhalloth: Crashed in -339 DR into the Sea of Fallen Stars, just north-west of Vosos on the Altumbel peninsula. Mostly intact, buried under miles of sand.
Orbedal: Crashed in -339 DR in the Western Heartlands, now known as Warlocks Crypt.
Palter: Crashed in -339 DR into mountains north of the River of Gems. Likely location is Aerithae’s Rest.
Phylornel: Crashed in -339 DR into the River of Gems. The river redirected around the new mountain. Likely location is Heroes’ Helm. The archwizard and lich Buoyance escaped into the river and his current location is unknown.
Sakkors: Crashed in -339 DR into the Sea of Fallen Stars just south of Urlamspyr in Sembia. Smashed into rubble.
Mythallar Status: Active and sentient
Selūnarra: Transferred into another plane in -339 DR by Selune.
Spiel: Crashed in -339 DR in the Rystall Wood. Now guarded by the Lost that inhabit the Border Forest.
Synod: Ecclesiastical enclaveCrashed in -339 DR in the Stonelands. Was believed to be over the Sea of Fallen Stars, but a fierce storm caused Synod to turn back towards Netheril.
Mythallar Status: Damaged
Tanathras: Crashed in -647 DR into the side of the Desertsmouth Mountains
Thultanthor: Transferred into the plane of shadow in -339 DR by arcanists duplicating the procedure based on Shadow’s notes. Shadow locates the enclave in the plane of Shadows and becomes it’s ruler.
Tith Tilendrothael: Toppled by the phaerimm lifedrain spells in -427 DR.
Undrentide: Crashed in -339 DR
Xinlenal: Crashed in -339 DR into the Neverwinter Woods.

Other Enclaves
Sargauth: Skullport in Undermountain. All arcanists were merged into the Skulls of Skullport.
Cuulmath: Destroyed in -1660 DR by elven high magic.
Werapan: Destroyed in -1660 DR by elven high magic.
Quaeluuvis: Destroyed in -1660 DR by elven high magic.
Quesseer: Otherwise known as Old Owl Well located in the Sword Coast. Abandoned in -2095 DR.
Mythallar Status: Removed
Farenway: Spelljamming docks collapsed and exploded in -339 DR killing thousands

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 05 Feb 2014 10:27:05
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  12:44:20  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I made up the enclave of Horizon, because Wooly's idea of a flying spelljammer enclave was cool and i made it still adrift and unmanned in the upper atmosphere to explain its survival.

I know the Netheril sourcebook is a bit patchy in its use of the term "Archwizard" but i understand that you can only be an "Archwizard" if you create or own an enclave.

Now that doesnt mean it has to be a flying enclave.

The creator of sargauth would be an archwizard, and quesseer, and the underwater enclaves and i imagine many others.

But it does mean we have the names of several archwizards floating around with no details of their enclaves.

It also means the Aumvor had an enclave at some point since it uses the term "other archwizards" in his writeup in LEOF which indicates he was an archwizard himself.

So possible other enclave owners are

Aumvor -
Dace - Devout worshipper of Mystryl so likely created a temple enclave
Delzjhava - Killed Lady Decampus but nothing else is known of him.
Oberon - Which is why i created Horizon since it is not stated that he created Farenwey, merely that he supported spelljamming
Lesten - Killed by Buoyance/Phylornel
Shenandra - Discovered a means to counter the phaerimm lifedrain spells. Was turned to dust by Aquessir's improved mythallar created by Shadelorn
Lady Saharel - Once a leading member of the high mages of Netheril i think puts her in the category of archwizard. Maybe Saharelgard was once an enclave that crashed and her castle is all that remains

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 31 Jan 2014 14:36:01
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  14:09:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay so i'm trying to come up with locations and status' of various enclaves at the time of the fall. I have tried to give logical positions for the enclaves based on the descriptions of what happened to them when they fell.

Also wondering about the state of their mythallars since the descriptions of a few of them mean that the mythallar is intact; and i dont buy that all mythallars stopped working because mystryl died as that is a cop out, plenty of ancient magic items still work so would the mythallars unless they were physically damaged (which most were when the enclaves smashed into the ground.

So here's what i have so far

Akintaer: Crashed into the marsh of simplicity in -339 DR. Now buried under the High Ice near the Blind Rift.
Mythallar Status: Unknown likely destroyed by the impact
Aquessir: Crashed into the side of the Shattered Tower in -342 DR. All magic on the enclave was drained by the improved mythal, all arcanists turned to dust.
Mythallar Status: Unknown likely destroyed by the impact but given its improved nature it may survive.
Anauria: Slowly fell to earth in -339 DR. Survivors settled between the Scimitar Spires and the Desertsmouth Mountains from the Bowl of Loneliness to the Stonelands.
Asram: Slowly fell to earth in -339 DR. Survivors settled in Atar’s Looking Glass
Delia: Determining the threat of the phaerimm and communicating results to Ioulaum and Karsus. Crashed in -339 DR. Either Delia was near the borders of Anauroch (maybe the hidden forest), or she was in the fallen lands near Karsus and Ioulaum (possibly the Greyvale).
Doubloon: Disappeared in -442 DR after an encounter with Eileanur. Possibly banished to a demiplane (the demiplane of imprisonment).
Eileanar: Crashed in -339 DR in the vicinity of the High Forest.
Hlondath: Slowly fell to earth in -339 DR. Survivors settled between the Scimitar Spires and the Desertsmouth Mountains from the Bowl of Loneliness to Atar’s Looking Glass.
Horizon: The enclave of the archwizard Oberon. This enclave was much higher up in the atmosphere than any other enclave and so was far above the ground when magic was finally restored to the world. Its inhabitants had all frozen and asphyxiated due to the air and freezing temperatures of being so high when the mythallar stopped working. Capable of unmanned flight the enclave has floated with the winds above Toril at a height of 30,000 feet for 2,000 years.
Jethaere: Crashed in -339 DR.
Jockteleg: Crashed in -339 DR, as he was outcast by the other Netherese enclaves and approached by a cloud giant clan then possibly located in the Quarter of Emptiness or the Fallen Lands area.
Jiksidur: Crashed in -339 DR upside down in Narfell, now known as Hark's Finger in northern Narfell. Looted of artefacts by Larloch and the tribes of Narfell.
Lathery: Crashed in -339 DR in the central portion of the Narrow Sea (near the Teeth of Tagorlar). Population were teleported into fish tanks once magic was restored so mythallar is active.
Lhaoda: Toppled by the phaerimm lifedrain spells before -339 DR
Maunator: Destroyed in -1657 DR by a super powered Meteor Swarm spell.
Negrath: Unknown
Nhalloth: Crashed in -339 DR into the Sea of Fallen Stars, just north-west of Vosos on the Altumbel peninsula. Mostly intact, buried under miles of sand.
Orbedal: Crashed in -339 DR in the Western Heartlands, now known as Warlocks Crypt.
Palter: Crashed in -339 DR into mountains north of the River of Gems. Likely location is Aerithae’s Rest.
Phylornel: Crashed in -339 DR into the River of Gems. The river redirected around the new mountain. Likely location is Heroes’ Helm. The archwizard and lich Buoyance escaped into the river and his current location is unknown.
Sakkors: Crashed in -339 DR into the Sea of Fallen Stars just south of Urlamspyr in Sembia. Smashed into rubble.
Mythallar Status: Active and sentient
Selūnarra: Transferred into another plane in -339 DR by Selune.
Spiel: Crashed in -339 DR in the Rystall Wood. Now guarded by the Lost that inhabit the Border Forest.
Tanathras: Crashed in -647 DR into the side of the Desertsmouth Mountains
Thultanthor: Transferred into the plane of shadow in -339 DR by arcanists duplicating the procedure based on Shadow’s notes. Shadow locates the enclave in the plane of Shadows and becomes it’s ruler.
Tith Tilendrothael: Unknown
Xinlenal: Crashed in -339 DR into the Neverwinter Woods.

Other Enclaves
Sargauth: Skullport in Undermountain. All arcanists were merged into the Skulls of Skullport.
Cuulmath:
Werapan
Quaeluuvis:
Quesseer:
Farenway: Spelljamming docks collapsed and exploded in -339 DR killing thousands

Just one thing to note, some of the enclaves may have had more than one mythallar. As populations grew and demand for more magical power grew, the existing mythallar were probably stressed. We had a discussion on this type of thing a few months passed. Essentially, thing of the first mythallars as "DC power". Then someone develops and improved mythallar using "AC power". Then someone develops a mythallar that has less energy output, but a wider radius, so they decide that one can be used for minor things throughout the enclave. Then the development group on Enclave X gets mad because they don't have enough magical power because the populace is using it to power their new illusory playhouse. Since the creator of the original mythallar died a hundred years ago, there's a new arcanist running things, and he decides to try his hand at mythallar creation. So, they decide they'll have their own mythallar as an extra just to support magical development... or maybe one just to support "life support" functions in an underwater enclave... or maybe one just to support "certain defense mechanisms" in some militaristic enclaves, etc...

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  14:13:42  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that folks can't do what they want with mythallars in their homebrew, but I though mythallars couldn't exist in close proximity to each other? Only one was available to each enclave (unless they expanded the size of the enclave) is what I've always though.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  14:27:51  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are several instances in the sourcebook of a ground based settlement having several mythallars.

I just assumed that was the norm that every settlement has many mythallars.

The big one powers the city, makes it float etc.

Others are for everyday things like climate control, powering magic items, making the walls glow flourescent pink if you want.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  14:29:19  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont know why but when i picture a mythallar i kind of imagine a massive swirly lava lamp, hourglass kind of instrument (probably because of star trek and the warp cores)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  14:30:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I made up the enclave of Horizon, because Wooly's idea of a flying spelljammer enclave was cool and i made it still adrift and unmanned in the upper atmosphere to explain its survival.

Wish I'd read down this far before reacting... I was looking thru my material, trying to find out if I had lifted the name inadvertently!

And actually, my idea was to have Horizon be used to explore the rest of Faerūn, and then wind up with a safe landing on one of the undescribed continents. It has always kinda bugged me that with flying cities, they still stuck to one small corner of the Realms.

Eventually, I decided to have these marooned Netherese be the progenitors of the 4E dragonborn race -- I was trying to come up with a non-Abeirran origin for them. I just never quite worked it all out...

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 31 Jan 2014 14:33:34
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  14:32:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
some people brought up that idea as well, though I'm not sure that we have a canon resource for that <there may be one>, in which case there were enclaves that would have essentially had to have "mythallar upgrades". Whether this was a swap, or some kind of transition of energy from old to new to "jumpstart" the new, would be of interest. However, there are references of Enclaves working on energies that are supposed to be incompatible (though I look at those as more akin to our flex-fuel vehicles today).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  14:36:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There are several instances in the sourcebook of a ground based settlement having several mythallars.

I just assumed that was the norm that every settlement has many mythallars.

The big one powers the city, makes it float etc.

Others are for everyday things like climate control, powering magic items, making the walls glow flourescent pink if you want.

Ah, cool, then that kind of covers my belief. I kind of wonder if some of those mythallars didn't use some alternate power sources too (i.e. might there be some kind of baby "mythallars" out there that are fueled by chained up fey, fiends, genies, etc... that are magically forced to constantly cast their at will abilities... akin to a spell engine or the spell Halaster used down in undermountain <I forget its name>)

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  14:52:39  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well when i described Horizon i also envisaged that it could end up anywhere on Toril. It is high up in the atmosphere but people can still teleport there, or get there on dragonback or any other means.

Now about mythallars, i see no reason why they cannot be created in the modern age.

I dont know what level spell is used to create mythallars, but given that all spells can be recreated using what WoTC dubbed epic magic.

In my take on it there are two ways to access the weave. Rituals that can be used to mould the weave to perform whatever you want. And spells that are predefined rituals stored in the weave and able to be accessed by memorising the steps necessary to cast them.

The elves tried to teach the netherese rituals, but the terraseer pointed them towards the scrolls which taught them greater intricacies of spells.

Now there are no more level 10 or 11 spells stored in the weave, but the rituals (epic magic) can still duplicate Tolodine's killing wind, Proctiv's Move Mountain, etc. So they can also be used to create a mythallar, it just that the whole thing is probably very expensive and time consuming and complicated and if you get it wrong you might die (as tends to happen with rituals).

So why not have mythallars in Undermountain that cast the fetch spells to restock Undermountain (saves Halaster casting it himself).

Maybe the Sargauth enclave mythallar is still active and that is one of the things holding up the cavern roof and stopping waterdeep from falling into the hole. Maybe Halaster also reinforced that with regular magic just in case the mythallar fails.

I have read several magic items containing elemental spirits to achieve certain effects. In my own campaign i have an elder fire elemental imprisoned in a forge to keep it super hot and help with magic item creation (bleed off some the elemental's magic to make creating an item easier).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  15:31:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just found a very interesting quote from Cormanthyr Empire or Elves while searching for info about Netheril.

quote:
Even at this height of elven civilization, a major
part of this ritual has been lost. In times past, elves also could
be transformed into weave spirits, beings of pure magic who
help maintain mythals and spell fields and guard against
abuses in magic. High Mages now theorize that the last Weave
Spirit was created during Netheril#146;s rise, and the last High
Mage who knew the casting was slain by an archwizard.
While there is no proof, some High Mages wonder if such
beings as will#146;o#146;wisps, nyth, and wizshades are not elven
weave spirits gone mad or degenerated into corrupt forms
due to the damage to the Weave with the Fall of Netheril.

This weave spirit could be what Sylune became.

Also in the other thread about Netheril (the one that turned into a flame war) Ed mentioned a great mage of Netheril that became one with the weave, so she may have become a Weave Spirit as well.

Maybe she was learning the magic from the last high mage to know the ritual when they were attacked. The high mage died and she completed the ritual herself

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  15:35:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now on to Aumvor's enclave. I was thinking of using the bones of 180,000 orcs to create a Bone Castle.

Its not really an enclave, more a single castle made out of bones floating on a pile of bones.

Its inspired by the castle from How The Mighty Are Fallen. I always thought Aumvor was the wizard with the bone castle ever since i read LEoF. It cant be a coincidence that both have living zombies (yes the mechanics of them are different but its still too close to be coincidence).

I just need a name - other than bone castle. All my pathetic brain can come up with is Aumvoria, but thats just pants.

So anyone have any dread worthy ideas.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  17:28:51  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just an aside. I forget where I read it but I clearly remember reading about this great secret:

Mystra's Ban doesn't actually make the casting of spells greater than 9th level impossible - just a lot more convuluted and difficult. Then she places a debilitating (but not lethal) curse on whomever successfully casts the spell.

Edit: Found the reference. Secrets of the Magister p91. I think it may have also briefly been mentioned in Shadowbred but I don't own that source.

Basically, any attempt to cast a 'True Dweomer' will have to get past the following restrictions:

1) The spell must be re-researched. The original methods used to cast the spells have been changed so nobody can use the methods that originally allowed someone to cast such magic.
2) [in 2e terms] You must have 16 Wisdom, 20 Intelligence and be at least 20th level.
3) There is an 85% chance that casting the spell will result in level loss.
4) Your actions are instantly brought to the direct attention of both Mystra and Azuth who will inflict feeblemindedness on you if they disagree with your motivations for casting the spell.

and finally...

5) The first attempt at casting such a spell will ALWAYS fail.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 31 Jan 2014 18:00:23
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000