Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2014) (and 2015)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2014 :  14:02:16  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
I just finished Feed by Mira Grant. At first I thought that Feed was just another zombie book and picked it up only because a friend recommended it. But now I am glad that I listened because this book was ,surprisingly, very good.
Though it is the "zombie" book the zombies themselves get very little screen time, instead the author chooses to focus on the humans and the society them have created after having survived the Rising.
While there are plenty of political undertones to this story nothing is thrown in your face and you can ignore them and still enjoy yourself.
In fact there is a lot of humor albeit dark humor in this tale which is balanced by the underlying tension created by the mysterious conspiracy after them. Trust me its better than that sounds.
Overall a very good book and personally I cant wait to start on the sequel
Go to Top of Page

yurilowell
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2014 :  14:03:38  Show Profile Send yurilowell a Private Message
Finishing up Kemp's Midnight's Mask right now. I've found the entire Cale trilogy to be enjoyable.

Also about halfway through Abercrombie's The Blade Itself. Jury's still out for me on this one but I've read gushing reviews so I'm going to push through and hope it grabs me here.

In the mean time I'm eagerly waiting Salvatore's Night of the Hunter. Always been a big Drizzt fan and I loved the sample chapter of this one.

"It's a Drizzit!!!"

“Get him, ser, get him, get him, he's right there!!!”
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2014 :  14:35:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I just realised that I haven't updated my reading in a short while...

After finishing with DRAGON #333, I moved on to Alabaster: Pale Horse, a collection of Caitlin R. Keirnan's short stories. Having then finished that, I'm now on a quaint little book that the Lady K just finished reading, entitled Never Have I Ever: My Life (So Far) Without a Date. I can only describe it as a joyfully painful reminder of how difficult both the Lady K and myself found the dating scene and eventually finding love, before we came together.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2014 :  03:43:21  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
Just finished Abercrombie's LAST ARGUMENT OF KINGS. Wow, that Bayaz...

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2014 :  05:59:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Finished Summer Knight. Taking a break from the Dresden Files to read a book I just bought yesterday, The Forever Engine.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2014 :  16:33:43  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

Just finished Abercrombie's LAST ARGUMENT OF KINGS. Wow, that Bayaz...

That series was amazing.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2014 :  14:22:19  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Reading Betrayer by Aaron Bowden , a Horus Heresy novel. While I did not enjoy the previous book written by this author(the First Heretic) surprisingly I ended up liking this one. So i guess its a good thing I gave his a second shot.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2014 :  23:59:12  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage
Recently read THE BEAUTIFUL THING THAT AWAITS US ALL by Laird Barron, A SEASON IN CARCOSA edited by Joseph H. Pulver, Sr., and MR. GAUNT AND OTHER UNEASY ENCOUNTERS by John Langan. Starting THE BONES OF THE OLD ONES by Howard Andrew Jones.
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2014 :  15:28:36  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
Tome of the Undergates by Sam Sykes. I like how he intersperses his combat scenes with character building.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2014 :  22:37:36  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Volathar

I even kinda felt sorry that the author (Edward Bolme) did not have any other novels in The Forgotten Realms.

He did have a couple excellent novels in the Eberron setting
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2014 :  13:52:30  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Started on Path of the Warrior by Gav Thrope.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2014 :  14:49:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Those Path of ... novels are decent enough. I've enjoyed most of them.

Finished with Never Have I Ever a few days back. Now I'm on to a stack [100+ issues] of old Iron Man [Vol.1] comic books that I haven't read in over a decade and a bit.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2014 :  14:52:30  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Those Path of ... novels are decent enough. I've enjoyed most of them.

An a fan of the Imperium I generally dont bother to read much about the other factions but as you said its a good series and gives you an insight into the lives of the Eldar.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2014 :  08:43:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
Finished The Reaver yesterday. Loved it, especially Umara. And Stedd is adorable too. I just thought it’s rather too short to be properly called . . . epic.

Now reading Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay. This novel is where the TV series Dexter is loosely based on. I had already watched the TV series’ first seven episodes before I grabbed this book, so in the first few pages, it felt like I was reading the script. Just sort of, because there are still a few interesting differences. For one, Dex in the book is funnier, and his musings are more enlightening and disturbing at the same time. Also, it’s he who tries to “seduce” LaGuerta, and the latter is nastier than her TV counterpart. Moreover, the infamous Ice Truck Killer is not called that in the book.

This novel is not a journal of a neat serial killer, not just an account of all his kills to date. It’s also a straightforward record of his unabashed discovery of who he is, what he is becoming, and what results such gradual transformation entails.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

sillaric_culdanin
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2014 :  10:31:13  Show Profile  Visit sillaric_culdanin's Homepage Send sillaric_culdanin a Private Message
Reading Ian Esselmont's Blood and Bone (the fifteenth book I think set in the Malazan world). Its actually a bit of a slog as Malazan books go. I'm considering a reboot, finding a good chronological listing of the novels in the series and going back to Gardens of the Moon and starting over. I'm still working through the last couple of Garrett, PI novels by Glen Cook as well, which are a bit formulaic but still great fun and seem to obviously be inspiration for some of our amazing modern urban fantasy.

Last living Paladin and Adept of the Ruby Legion of Alankier
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2014 :  17:02:22  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished A Storm of Swords.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2014 :  17:13:51  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message
Finished Night of the Hunter by RAS.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2014 :  11:33:32  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message
This early year i plan to finish the harpers series and after read the late 80's, early 90's novels. I'm trying to read from the start of the realms to the present day but when i hit an author who have many novels i tend to read the others :P

Now i'm at 68 novels read. Hope i'll hit 80 or more by the end of the year.

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2014 :  13:39:07  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Started on the Path of the Seer by Gav Thrope.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2014 :  18:01:23  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message
I am reading Three Hearts and THree Lions by Poul Andersen. It is quite evident the concept of the paladin originated there.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2014 :  20:32:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Finished Summer Knight. Taking a break from the Dresden Files to read a book I just bought yesterday, The Forever Engine.

Finished this one a couple of days ago, and I'm most of the way thru Death Masks now.

I enjoyed The Forever Engine, and I quite liked seeing Tesla spun in a slightly different manner.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2014 :  23:44:59  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Starting A Feast for Crows.

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  00:33:12  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

Don't know that one. A novel from the few last years ?

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  02:11:28  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HardKano

quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

Don't know that one. A novel from the few last years ?

Hard to tell if you are kidding, but it's the 4th book in George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series.

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 11 Mar 2014 23:50:47
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  11:09:19  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message
LOLLL i was not kidding. I know about A Song of fire and ice series but don't know every novel's name ;) I watched season 1 and 2. Season 3 is at home but need time too watch it

Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  11:29:12  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message
Got the kindle version of Night of the Hunter today. So far, so very good!
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  11:30:13  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

Sweet, but i have soooo many novels to read before this one ;D

Go to Top of Page

yurilowell
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  13:04:22  Show Profile Send yurilowell a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

Got mine as well, enjoying it a lot so far.

"It's a Drizzit!!!"

“Get him, ser, get him, get him, he's right there!!!”
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  14:01:19  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
On to Path of the outcast by Gav Thrope.
Go to Top of Page

zenmichael
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  16:15:43  Show Profile  Visit zenmichael's Homepage Send zenmichael a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sillaric_culdanin

Reading Ian Esselmont's Blood and Bone (the fifteenth book I think set in the Malazan world). Its actually a bit of a slog as Malazan books go. I'm considering a reboot, finding a good chronological listing of the novels in the series and going back to Gardens of the Moon and starting over.

Then you'll want to start with Night of Knives, not GotM : ) I really, really WANT to like Esselmont's stuff, but I find about 75% of each of his books just dull as all hell. Toll the Hounds was my favorite of the Malazan books, so I was really excited for Orb Sceptre Throne. After having to just drudge through the last quarter of it (and I barely even remember how most of it played out), I'm not sure I want to bother with any more.

I'm reading Helsreach by Aaron Dembski-Bowden, and Down River by John Hart right now.

Realms Remembered: A Chronological Read-Through (DR) of Forgotten Realms Fiction
http://www.youtube.com/rolereviewsal
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000