Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2014) (and 2015)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2014 :  19:45:17  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message
Reading Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King and listening to Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl before moving on to Night Filmby her.
Really been reading a lot of graphic novels lately, with most for my class Graphic Novels in Libraries. Persepolis, Maus, Kim's Color manhwa series, and a few other stand-outs from the semester are worth reading if you can get ahold of them.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.

Edited by - hammer of Moradin on 30 Jul 2014 19:46:10
Go to Top of Page

Scimitars of Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  21:03:13  Show Profile Send Scimitars of Drizzt a Private Message
I just began Canticle, book one of The Cleric Quintet by R.A. Salvatore. I recently purchased the Collector's Edition including all five novels. I've heard of some criticism towards the series but I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Nonetheless, my expectations aren't too high.

"Surrender now, or we will slay you!" the leader of the creatures called, a bit louder and more forcefully.
"A moment, please, my friend," Zasian said, motioning to the dwarf for patience. "We are discussing your terms."

"Ye heading off with Invo . . . Inno . . . that durned elf?"

Edited by - Scimitars of Drizzt on 01 Aug 2014 21:03:51
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  22:26:14  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message
Finally finished Neuromancer, after far too many distractions. Started reading The Godcatcher, by Erin M. Evans (I figured it was about time I got back to reading FR novels).
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2014 :  01:00:12  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
I just finished The Bonehunters and Reaper's Gale in an epic back to back session. My sides were unprepared for Karsa Orlong and Tehol Beddict. Erikson really did a fine job muddying the conflict between the Letherii Empire, the Tiste Edur and The Bonehunters. At first I despised the Tiste Edur, especially Hannan Mosag and Rhulad Sengar. Then I came to pity Rhulad while I found Hannan to be a thoroughly despicable individual, especially his sorcerery. Body horror mixed with torture and dehumanization really made me despise him.

Hellian was pretty damn funny, too. I like how the Bonehunters broke their language barrier with the Letherii peoples: execute all the lawyers, tax collectors and elected officials. Then decorate the tavern with their heads. I laughed, ghoulish as it sounds. The absurdity set against the greater tragedy of Rhulad Sengar's empire made these really excellent reading. I'd be remiss if I didn't say that Scabandari Bloodeye was a total badass.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2014 :  05:02:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I'm reading The Godborn right now. I'm hoping that having skipped the prior trilogy won't impact my reading of this book.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  03:11:51  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message
I finally got down to finally reading 'The Adversary.' Honestly, best damned book in all the Sundering. Bar None. Love these characters; I would never have said that about a tiefling in 'my' Realms 5 years go!

Also finished the Dresden novel 'Skin Games.' Great stuff, really loving the novels once I get immersed. So much lore in there these days, but I get by enough without any old rereads.
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  17:05:28  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Scimitars of Drizzt

I just began Canticle, book one of The Cleric Quintet by R.A. Salvatore. I recently purchased the Collector's Edition including all five novels. I've heard of some criticism towards the series but I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Nonetheless, my expectations aren't too high.

I've read the Drizzt saga before the Cleric Quintet and i still enjoyed it very well.

In fact, i enjoy most of the realms novels i,ve read because i focus on lore knowledge and try to figure out writer's style. Like you, i have no high targets, just having fun :D

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  13:38:10  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm reading The Godborn right now. I'm hoping that having skipped the prior trilogy won't impact my reading of this book.

Its a good book and while its not necessary to have read the earlier ones I would still recommend reading the prior trilogy first. Also IMO the Twilight War trilogy is well worth reading in its own right.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  15:00:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:

Its a good book and while its not necessary to have read the earlier ones I would still recommend reading the prior trilogy first. Also IMO the Twilight War trilogy is well worth reading in its own right.

Well, I wasn't a fan of the Erevis Cale trilogy...

And I just got to the part where the brothers reach the village of Fairelm. After reading that, I'm honestly not sure I want to continue reading the book -- I seriously did not like that part.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Aug 2014 15:02:53
Go to Top of Page

Scimitars of Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  19:09:19  Show Profile Send Scimitars of Drizzt a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HardKano

quote:

I've read the Drizzt saga before the Cleric Quintet and i still enjoyed it very well.

In fact, i enjoy most of the realms novels i,ve read because i focus on lore knowledge and try to figure out writer's style. Like you, i have no high targets, just having fun :D

I agree. I'm about a third of the way through Canticle and I am enjoying it very much. I very much like the subtle details, and the back-stories of the characters. The Edificant Library environment and lifestyle is fun. Overall, a good read so far.

"Surrender now, or we will slay you!" the leader of the creatures called, a bit louder and more forcefully.
"A moment, please, my friend," Zasian said, motioning to the dwarf for patience. "We are discussing your terms."

Edited by - Scimitars of Drizzt on 05 Aug 2014 19:10:26
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  21:13:22  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, I wasn't a fan of the Erevis Cale trilogy...

And I just got to the part where the brothers reach the village of Fairelm. After reading that, I'm honestly not sure I want to continue reading the book -- I seriously did not like that part.

Story-wise, it would help to at least get the cliff's notes version of the previous trilogy.
As for the two brothers, it gets worse before it gets better. I'm not a huge fan of that kind of horror, and to be completely honest, as much as I like Erevis Cale's story, the two brothers were evil enough it almost made me stop reading. I got through, and overall I enjoyed the novel. I felt that it answered a lot of questions for fans of Cale, and while it leaves room for sequels, it doesn't leave you hanging.

Right now, I'm about halfway through Blackstaff and loving it. I'm trying to decide whether to finish the Song and Swords series next or start on book two of the Alias and Dragonbait stories (the series name escapes me right now.)

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2014 :  23:09:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I finished The Godborn during my lunchbreak today... Next up is whatever book 3 of the Sundering is.

The book did improve after that one scene that nearly made me put the book down, but Paul Kemp's writing just doesn't grab me the way it grabs others. I liked seeing Shar and the Shades take a hit, but that was about it for me, with this one.

I also noticed a bit of a continuity glitch, towards the end... Vasen uses the holy symbol the Oracle had given him, despite the fact that it had been stolen from him way earlier in the book. And then, a page or two later, Brennus has it in hand and is using it to try to scry on Vasen.

It's also not clear to me why the timejump in the book was necessary. Yeah, I know the out-of-story reason for it, but I don't see any in-story reason for why it was necessary for Varra to timejump 70 years instead of just going somewhere else. There wasn't anything I saw that indicated the story couldn't have happened in the earlier timeframe.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 07 Aug 2014 23:14:13
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2014 :  14:31:04  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:

I finished The Godborn during my lunchbreak today... Next up is whatever book 3 of the Sundering is.

The book did improve after that one scene that nearly made me put the book down, but Paul Kemp's writing just doesn't grab me the way it grabs others. I liked seeing Shar and the Shades take a hit, but that was about it for me, with this one.

I also noticed a bit of a continuity glitch, towards the end... Vasen uses the holy symbol the Oracle had given him, despite the fact that it had been stolen from him way earlier in the book. And then, a page or two later, Brennus has it in hand and is using it to try to scry on Vasen.

It's also not clear to me why the timejump in the book was necessary. Yeah, I know the out-of-story reason for it, but I don't see any in-story reason for why it was necessary for Varra to timejump 70 years instead of just going somewhere else. There wasn't anything I saw that indicated the story couldn't have happened in the earlier timeframe.

Glad you kind of liked it. Paul S Kemp is one of my favorite realms authors but even I have to admit that this was not his best work. It wasnt really his fault as the plot was originally meant for a trilogy and that is why it has kind of a breakneck pace. Which obviously leads to certain things being left out.
However let me once more recommend the Twilight war trilogy. Its his best work and if you dont like that then maybe Paul Kemp aint for you.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2014 :  14:41:05  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Started on Vinland saga, a manga set in an alternative world in which the Vikings conquered England. I just picked it up at random and so it caught me completely off guard with its awesomeness. Since then I have been obsessively reading one volume after another.
The series throws you right in the middle of the action form the first chapter and the gripping back-stories of the main characters unfold later on. The author provides an unflinching portrayal about the lives of the Vikings and what the consequences of a full scale invasion by them would have been like.
But its not all violence and death , in fact there is a strong theme of non violence throughout the series. An amazing find.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2014 :  18:19:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Glad you kind of liked it. Paul S Kemp is one of my favorite realms authors but even I have to admit that this was not his best work. It wasnt really his fault as the plot was originally meant for a trilogy and that is why it has kind of a breakneck pace. Which obviously leads to certain things being left out.
However let me once more recommend the Twilight war trilogy. Its his best work and if you dont like that then maybe Paul Kemp aint for you.

I don't know that I'd say I kind of liked it. I think it more accurate to say I didn't dislike it.

I may try the Twilight War books at some point, but I'm not sure. This makes like six FR PSK books I've read, and none of them have worked for me. So far, my favorite one of his characters was the fashion-conscious slaadi, and a large portion of that was loving the idea of a fiend who was concerned about clothing.

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2014 :  12:58:36  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Well each to his own, maybe his writing style just isn't for you.
Though as you have noticed he does come up with some fascinating characters once in a while. My favorite was his portrayal of Mask, that what a God of Thieves and shadows should be like.

Edited by - Thauranil on 09 Aug 2014 13:00:49
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2014 :  14:47:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Well each to his own, maybe his writing style just isn't for you.
Though as you have noticed he does come up with some fascinating characters once in a while. My favorite was his portrayal of Mask, that what a God of Thieves and shadows should be like.

The only one of his characters I've actively liked was that slaadi. Orsin, from The Godborn had some potential, but it wasn't explored enough for me to make the call on whether or not I really like the character.

I've not disliked his other characters; they just didn't interest me. In some cases, I don't feel like I know enough about them.

Go to Top of Page

Scimitars of Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
77 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  02:24:15  Show Profile Send Scimitars of Drizzt a Private Message
I just finished Canticle which was a real good read. I'm probably off to read Gauntlgrym next as it's the next book for me in the Drizzt saga.

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  12:01:10  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message
quote:

I just finished Canticle which was a real good read. I'm probably off to read Gauntlgrym next as it's the next book for me in the Drizzt saga.

I'm there to ! but i decided to explore other old novels before diving in the spellplague related stories

Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  12:02:16  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by HardKano

quote:

I agree. I'm about a third of the way through Canticle and I am enjoying it very much. I very much like the subtle details, and the back-stories of the characters. The Edificant Library environment and lifestyle is fun. Overall, a good read so far.

Yes, Salvatore have is good way to let you see environments and details :D

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  14:45:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Finally started reading Elaine Cunningham's Winter Witch for the PATHFINDER TALES series.

I know, it's been a long time since the book was first published. But my stacks of unread books tend to reach back years... rather than simply weeks or months.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  15:21:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Finally started reading Elaine Cunningham's Winter Witch for the PATHFINDER TALES series.

I know, it's been a long time since the book was first published. But my stacks of unread books tend to reach back years... rather than simply weeks or months.

Other than Dave Gross's stuff, I'm way behind on reading those TALES books... But I did read Winter Witch as soon as it came out, and quite enjoyed it.

Right now, I'm partway into The Adversary. Perhaps it's because I haven't read the prior books by the author, but I've yet to be impressed by the book. That's getting to be a trend with me and the Sundering books...

Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  15:50:26  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message
About a third of the way through Deadhouse Gates (the second book in Steven Erikson's Malazn series)... epic!

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  18:22:56  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Just got back from vacation in Turkey. While there I finished The Herald by Ed Greenwood and read:

The 6th Target by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro
The High Druid's Blade, by Terry Brooks
and
Storm Front, by Jim Butcher

Am now reading A Medicine for Melancoly, by Ray Bradbury.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  18:48:30  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

Just got back from vacation in Turkey.

Did you hear about the two-headed dolphin that supposedly just washed ashore, there?

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  21:00:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Storm Front, by Jim Butcher

Now that series is a fun ride! I was turned onto it, myself, by Elaine Cunningham's short-lived book blog. The most recent book, I rushed to the bookstore to buy the hardcover on my lunchbreak! As far as non-gaming material is concerned, I've only done that on a handful of occasions.

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  22:59:06  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by 9thChapter

About a third of the way through Deadhouse Gates (the second book in Steven Erikson's Malazn series)... epic!

I read the first one years ago, and have yet to pick up the next few even though I own them. Would you say they get better as the series progresses, or do they stay consistent (which is still good, just a heavy read in many senses)?

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  03:51:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

The High Druid's Blade, by Terry Brooks
Oooo! That's another in my unread stacks. Got to return to Brooks' books at some point.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  05:12:01  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin
Would you say they get better as the series progresses, or do they stay consistent (which is still good, just a heavy read in many senses)?

I jumped into Deadhouse Gates after Gardens of the Moon a few years ago and had to put it down - got frustrated with the depth of story/complexity. Coming back to it last month, I'm not sure if it's time or an appreciation for Erikson's story. Short answer - and I believe others would back me up on this - they get better despite the fact they are "heavy reading".

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  13:46:58  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:

Just got back from vacation in Turkey.

Did you hear about the two-headed dolphin that supposedly just washed ashore, there?

Yeah, I saw that. Weird...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000