Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 What are you reading? (2014) (and 2015)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2014 :  15:10:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Delete Topic
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

quote:
It will be a bit sad to see it go but it is kind of out of date now.
Agreed. I love these kinds of discussions, because I'm always finding new books that I wasn't aware that I can eventually add to my stacks.
I suggest the year (2011) be removed, and just seal it when it reaches 100, just like any other threads.

Perhaps.

Though I'd rather just start the whole scroll fresh, I think, and prepare the platform for all kinds of new discussions.
And, thus, I give you the 2013 scroll.

And now the 2014 scroll!

Wooly edit: Decided to rename this one, since we used it for two years.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 Jan 2016 22:59:58

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2014 :  15:39:52  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage
THE PAGAN LORD by Bernard Cornwell.
Go to Top of Page

9thChapter
Learned Scribe

Canada
110 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2014 :  17:25:42  Show Profile  Visit 9thChapter's Homepage Send 9thChapter a Private Message
Shadowrealm by Paul S. Kemp and The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett.

Fantasy author of The Rithhek Cage series

http://darrentpatrick.com/the-rithhek-cage-trilogy/
Go to Top of Page

zenmichael
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2014 :  22:11:15  Show Profile  Visit zenmichael's Homepage Send zenmichael a Private Message
Farthest Reach by Richard Baker
Peter David's X-Factor run
Just finished Steve Hamilton's A Cold Day in Paradise yesterday; thoroughly enjoyed it
The Rise & Fall of the Cthulhu Mythos is waiting for me at the library

And the two audio books I'm currently working on (Road of Thorns by Michel Lee King & Blessed Fate by H.B. Heinzer)
Listening to the audio book of Towers of Midnight by Jordan/Sanderson in the car

Realms Remembered: A Chronological Read-Through (DR) of Forgotten Realms Fiction
http://www.youtube.com/rolereviewsal
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2014 :  23:29:39  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Reading David Dalglish's A Dance of Blades.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2014 :  03:28:09  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Will start Troy Denning's The Summoning the first book in the Return of the Archwizards trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2014 :  03:45:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by zenmichael

Peter David's X-Factor run
Are you reading his ENTIRE run? And I mean from Issue #71 way back in the early 90's to the end of X-Factor last year? Or just his current run on the relaunched/renumbered book?
quote:
I've been meaning to look into this one myself. Let me know what you thought of it, once you've had a chance to peruse it for yourself.

Go to Top of Page

zenmichael
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2014 :  14:08:54  Show Profile  Visit zenmichael's Homepage Send zenmichael a Private Message
quote:

Are you reading his ENTIRE run? And I mean from Issue #71 way back in the early 90's to the end of X-Factor last year? Or just his current run on the relaunched/renumbered book?

Yeah, the whole run. Wasn't super fond of the original stuff from way back when (collected in X-Factor: Visionaries: Peter David trades). I liked it WAYYY more when I was younger, but it really felt like he hit his stride about three issues before they fired him. I was reading the "new" series up until Layla disappeared. It just got boring for me after that & I figured it wouldn't last 10 more issues. Now that it's like ... 75 issues later & the series is ending/relaunching, I figured it'd be a good time to dive in, & my library has all of them.

quote:
quote:
I've been meaning to look into this one myself. Let me know what you thought of it, once you've had a chance to peruse it for yourself.

I was hoping more for an examination of how others (Derleth, mostly) transformed what Joshi deems the "Lovecraft Mythos" into the Cthulhu Mythos, and instead it's far more kind of ... dividing the two, then assigning each to Lovecraft/contemporaries/those that came after. It's well-researched, and it's amusing reading something that is, in the end, talking about fish monsters but uses words like "sedulous" and "trenchant," and reading Joshi bash on Lumley is always amusing, but overall it's not really what I was hoping for, and it's mostly just making me want to go back & read more Lovecraft.

Realms Remembered: A Chronological Read-Through (DR) of Forgotten Realms Fiction
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2014 :  12:55:32  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
Ahh love that new scroll smell , reading the Battle for the Abyss , a Warhammer 40k novel.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2014 :  05:01:20  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Finished A Dance of Blades. Great book if you don't mind cartoonish/superheroesque fight scenes where guys are blocking greatswords with daggers and such.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2014 :  05:09:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I just finished Snow White and the Seven Samurai. It was one of the better Tom Holt books I've read, though it didn't quite match up to Faust Among Equals or Flying Dutch. It was enjoyable, though.

I've decided to go way, way beyond my comfort zone for my next read... And I'm not even entirely sure why I decided to read it in the first place, which is how it wound up on my to-read list... I have started reading Pride and Prejudice.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2014 :  16:14:05  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message
So far I am reading several. Trying to still get through the brimstone angels books so I can read the adversary. Not sure about these yet though. I like some aspects of the books, but dislike the teen girl drama parts.

Other books I am reading are Paul Kemp's Discourse in Steel, David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell, The Crown Tower by Michael Sullivan, the bible for daily study, and just downloaded and in the pile to read is the Lone Survivor.

Many others in my to-read pile, but above mentioned will keep me busy as 2014 gets under way.

Edited by - scererar on 18 Jan 2014 16:15:12
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2014 :  17:23:40  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I just finished Snow White and the Seven Samurai. It was one of the better Tom Holt books I've read, though it didn't quite match up to Faust Among Equals or Flying Dutch. It was enjoyable, though.

I've decided to go way, way beyond my comfort zone for my next read... And I'm not even entirely sure why I decided to read it in the first place, which is how it wound up on my to-read list... I have started reading Pride and Prejudice.

Well I found it be be one of the better Jane Austen novels though not as good as Persuasion. Its set during the Napoleonic wars but there is nothing more than a passing reference to that fact, mostly it just focuses on the lives of the Bennett family. Spoiler! their lives are of no consequence.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2014 :  05:16:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:

Well I found it be be one of the better Jane Austen novels though not as good as Persuasion. Its set during the Napoleonic wars but there is nothing more than a passing reference to that fact, mostly it just focuses on the lives of the Bennett family. Spoiler! their lives are of no consequence.

As long as they don't drop like flies, as in Westeros, it won't be that bad.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2014 :  13:22:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I'm still working on Pride and Prejudice... But I've started a couple of other books, at the same time: We Will Destroy Your Planet: An Alien's Guide to Conquering the Earth and The Wit & Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister.

The latter is a bunch of short quotes, so I'm only reading it when I've got a just a minute or two to read.

Normally, I have some bit of game material that I read concurrently with whatever novel I've got going on, but I'm taking a brief break from that to read the other book, We Will Destroy Your Planet. That's mostly for when I'm in my reading room.

I've no idea what I'll pick up when I'm done with Pride and Prejudice.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2014 :  13:44:03  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage
THE THICKET by Joe Lansdale.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2014 :  14:55:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

... and The Wit & Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister.
I've still got to pick up my copy of that one.

As for my current reading... I'm on The Shadow Rising, Book IV of the WHEEL OF TIME series. This is currently a re-read, to prepare myself for the eventual reading of the last few books which I still have to read.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2014 :  07:05:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Just finished Pride and Prejudice... I will next read A Dance With Dragons, due in no small part to my curiosity about what's going on with Tyrion.

Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
148 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2014 :  07:15:34  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message
Just trying to read all FR books that I havent read. (There is huge pile, because before the FR launch on Amazon kindle, there was next to impossible to get anything else than RAS books here in finland. Currently reading Crown of Fire. Shandril book II. Also im ofcourse waiting for the next sundering book!
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2014 :  16:46:03  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message
I recently finished reading the Avengers vs X-Men crossover. The main issues in the collected hardcover and the companion issues in a different, and nearly twice as long, collected hardcover. Overall nearly 1700 pages of a comic crossover that probably should've been a few pages of Cyclops and Captain America talking it over instead of Captain America acting wildly out of character while most of the writers tried to paint Cyclops as an extremist (even though he was right in the end). Highlights include: Iron Man lecturing Captain America about the two of them seeming to take opposite stances to the ones they took in Civil War, Captain America going to Wolverine's new school (still don't know what to think of that idea) and asking him about the Phoenix (instead of: Beast, an Avenger and scientist who doesn't have an axe to grind with the Phoenix or Cyclops and who is capable of plans beyond "stab everything", or Rachel Summers, a woman who possessed the Phoenix for quite a while and didn't go all crazy from it), and Mr. Fantastic pointing out that the X-Men are only attacking the Avengers and it's pretty universally in self defense all while turning the earth into a paradise (shame on you X-Men for using your powers for good). On the plus side, Cyclops is now leading a team of renegade mutants that includes Magneto and new mutants are emerging, finally.

On the comic front I am probably going to try to get the issues that take place between Avengers vs X-Men and The Battle of the Atom, maybe Uncanny Avengers, and probably start getting collections of X-Men issues during the Claremont run.

On the non comic front I am waiting for an order that has The Forever War and a book about the current state of China.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2014 :  21:48:57  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

THE THICKET by Joe Lansdale.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on this one. I read "The Bottoms" a year or so ago and it was fantastic and was thinking I should try some of Lansdale's other books.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2014 :  23:15:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Discovered something else I have to read... I found an abandoned (or lost and forgotten) copy of The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster at work. I'm not a Pastafarian, but I think I can enjoy this one. When I get to it...

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2014 :  03:44:46  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message
Starting The Eye of the World for the first time. It's by some guy named Robert Jordan. Anybody heard of it?

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 24 Jan 2014 03:46:17
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2014 :  14:01:50  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message
Finished The Summoning last night and will start The Seige tonight.
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2014 :  23:13:27  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

Starting The Eye of the World for the first time. It's by some guy named Robert Jordan. Anybody heard of it?

I gave it a try a while back. Not quite my cup of tea.

A Dance with Dragons by George RR Martin.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  13:08:33  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

THE PAGAN LORD by Bernard Cornwell.

I'm also reading this. Cornwell is one of my favorite historical fiction authors, and the Saxon Tales is probably my favorite Cornwell series to date.

ec

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 27 Jan 2014 13:11:37
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  14:02:29  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage
DragonReader, I enjoyed THE THICKET very much. I'm a big Lansdale fan in general.

After finishing that one, I read "Salvage and Demolition," a novelette by Tim Powers. I'm a big Powers fan as well, and this story is good, although not as good as his novels.
Go to Top of Page

Volathar
Acolyte

Turkey
15 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  15:57:15  Show Profile Send Volathar a Private Message
Sadly, I could't get to finish Spellfire.. Now started Alabaster Staff
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  16:03:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Went to Barnes & Noble yesterday; once again, bad experience. How I miss Borders. B&N likes their bookstore to stock the same kinds of things you are forced to read in school, and not much in the way of interesting. Their fiction section is two aisles, one of which is anime and graphic novels, and fantasy/scify have to share space with horror. There is a nice 5 aisle section on psychology though. You know, the kinds of books entitled "its okay if you want to eat human flesh... you're just 'special'. {ugh}

ANYHOW.....

I've only been going there because I got a $50 giftcard for the Holidays and want to use it. Tried to find any Sundering novels and no deal. I would have used it toward the Lords of Waterdeep game, but they still don't have it (I complained the last time, and they said "we will see what we can do" - which is retail-speak for "I won't even remember this conversation in two minutes"). Seriously considered the Wrath of Ashardalon boardgame, but haven't heard anything about it (anyone here have a review?) Even (briefly) considered a new copy of Axis & Allies (which I lost in the fire).

Anyhow, decided to go through the fiction section one last time - the two endcaps were the predictable Game of Thrones and Hunger Games displays. I really like those two, but enough is enough. They've been up for months. There was also a third series they were pimping, which I also never heard of ('Divergent', or some-such). Tried to find something by author - only Paul Kemp's second Egil & Nix novel caught my eye. Liked the first one, but wasn't in the mood for more of that (That was actually the last book I read). I looked through the THREE 4' Shelves of 'game-related' novels (which they share with PF, Diablo, & Warcraft... Warhammer gets its own shelf!). Held Richard Byers PF novel in my hands for a bit as 'an option', but I seriously went there for FR, and am really trying to avoid 'getting into' PF fiction (because the setting is already doing a damn good job of pulling my interest that way).

Finally discovered Elminster Enraged behind another book, which I snapped-up (read the first two already, so that was something I wanted for awhile). Then I went to look through some of my long-time 'stand-by' series (there are several I read slowly over time, including GoT). Almost bought the final book of Wheel of Time, but the many plots of that had become so convoluted, and the enormous number of characters so confusing that I would have to re-read the rest of the series to even begin to understand the final installment... and that won't happen because I lost all the other books in the fire (I know, its getting old... sorry).

So I wound-up grabbing book 6 of the Safehold series by David Weber - I so love ship combat. That and the Elminster book and I was done; I figure I'll wait until I find a boardgame I want to spend the rest. I started that book rather then the FR one last night, which may be a subconscious indication of my waning interest in the Realms... or not. Perhaps I am just waiting to savor it. Who knows.

Anyway, for anyone interested in that series, here is a review by none other then RAS from the front pages of the novel -
quote:
"Fantastic in every sense of the word - the kind of book that makes you sit back and think about this reality that we call life. Who can ask for more then that?" --- R.A. Salvatore on Off Armageddon Reef.

I suppose his like of the series was inevitable - Weber writes large battle scenes the way RAS writes small-scale tactical combat - par excellence bar none. I can actually smell the sulfur of the canon blasts as I read his prose.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Jan 2014 16:06:12
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  17:13:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Went to Barnes & Noble yesterday; once again, bad experience. How I miss Borders. B&N likes their bookstore to stock the same kinds of things you are forced to read in school, and not much in the way of interesting. Their fiction section is two aisles, one of which is anime and graphic novels, and fantasy/scify have to share space with horror. There is a nice 5 aisle section on psychology though. You know, the kinds of books entitled "its okay if you want to eat human flesh... you're just 'special'. {ugh}

That is nothing at all like my local Barnes & Noble... Mine has several aisles of fantasy and sci/fi, and another of just anime. The fiction section is also quite large... My only issue with the place is that they are slow to get in the latest fantasy/sci-fi stuff; it's usually a week or two behind anyone else.

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

So I wound-up grabbing book 6 of the Safehold series by David Weber - I so love ship combat. That and the Elminster book and I was done; I figure I'll wait until I find a boardgame I want to spend the rest. I started that book rather then the FR one last night, which may be a subconscious indication of my waning interest in the Realms... or not. Perhaps I am just waiting to savor it. Who knows.

Anyway, for anyone interested in that series, here is a review by none other then RAS from the front pages of the novel -
quote:
"Fantastic in every sense of the word - the kind of book that makes you sit back and think about this reality that we call life. Who can ask for more then that?" --- R.A. Salvatore on Off Armageddon Reef.

I suppose his like of the series was inevitable - Weber writes large battle scenes the way RAS writes small-scale tactical combat - par excellence bar none. I can actually smell the sulfur of the canon blasts as I read his prose.

I actually discovered Off Armageddon Reef at my local B&N, when it was the only book in the series. I've quite eagerly devoured the new ones as they come out.

Go to Top of Page

zenmichael
Seeker

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  17:32:56  Show Profile  Visit zenmichael's Homepage Send zenmichael a Private Message
My local B&Ns are much more like Woolly described, as well.

I tried Off Armageddon Reef b/c I loved the concept. I absolutely adored the first 1/3 or so of the book, then it started getting SO bogged down in the minutiae of the different gadgets, and I got frustrated how the main character was essentially able to do ANYTHING without breaking a sweat. Somewhere around 2/3 of the way through the book I realized, 'Hey! This is just a sneaky way of writing UNGODLY OVEREXPOSITIONED alternate history!' Then I slammed my head into a table for an hour or two & quickly skimmed the rest of it.

Markustay, I might not agree with all your choices, but I found a play-by-play of your visit to B&N fascinating. Can the gift card be used for the website? I think with what you've got remaining you'd qualify for free shipping, and there obviously their choices are much broader.

Also, for myself, now on to "The Brave" by Gregory McDonald (amazing book) & "Deep Storm" by Lincoln Child.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000