Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 3rd Edition lore on Silverwood near Silverymoon
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2014 :  00:49:37  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have the FRCS (both 1E boxed set and 3rd edition hard back).I also have Volo's Guide to the North, and the 3E Silver Marches. I can't find more than a blurb on the Silverwood.

I found this tidbit from a fan site.

The land rises at the edge of the trollmoors and a small forest made up almost entirely of of silver birch trees coveres the rise. Trolls from the moors below continue to roam in this wood, but there are other terrors as well. The eastern side of the woods ends in a sharp escarpment which drops down to the River Rauvin and Silverymoon.

There is precious little lore on this wood, which I'm assuming used to be an arm of the High Forest and was disconnected by the settlement and logging of Everlund.

My intention is to possibly locate the 1st edition adventure "The Inheritance" from the Road to Danger, or the 3rd edition adventure "Base of Operations".

The Silverwood is one of the few places near to Silverymoon that could potentially hold an abandoned keep, and mine. Yet still be near enough to a city to be supported.

I've toyed with the idea of also placing the adventure somewhere up the road toward Sundabar perhaps near Khelb or Auvandell though I'd hoped to place it more in a forested setting.

I'm sure you've all run these adventures for your group, where did you choose to place them?

I would use "The Inheritance" as it is written, however there is also VERY little lore on Kryptgarden forest and besides that in my world, one of my former groups already liberated and occupied that keep so i cannot place another there.

Any ideas or detailed lore on the environs near Silverymoon that haven't been covered in the main publications is most welcome.

Cheers

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2014 :  11:51:35  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been looking at that same location for the past couple of weeks for very similar reasons (although I am prepping for a 4E game but that's largely a cosmetic change) and all I can find is what you have found. I've scoured every source I can think of and I can't find anything else: its only canon descriptions seem to focus on trolls being a threat. To be more level-appropriate, these might be better replaced by forest trolls from Monster Manual III(IIRC).

Those are great suggestions about The Inheritance and Base of Operations. I wasn't familiar with the latter adventure - and have run neither - but have just read it and I think it would work really well in the Silverwood. BTW, another interesting adventure is Raiders of Galath's Roost from Dungeon 87. I think that would suit the Silverwood quite well with the Banite/Zhent fortress located in the Nether Mountains.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6354 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2014 :  11:59:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What little i have found does state that it was an arm of the High Forest and is still rumoured to be protected by Turlang the Treant (although obviously not very well or often since it has been logged so badly). Over the centuries it was logged by loggers working on either side of the Evermoor Way (Everlund to Yartar)

Where there are patches of level clear ground, freeholds exist so your idea of a keep is certainly valid.

And of course the place is regularly haunted by trolls so many of these freeholds will be abandoned.

Other than that there isnt much i can find either.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2014 :  00:56:34  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. At least I can get some confirmation regarding the lack of lore of this particular wood. I would like to be able to set it apart and detail it out in some way for my players (using Canon) but I can make it up myself if needed.

Dazzle: What source did you read that said free holds DO exist? Or are you just making that assumption? I made the same assumption.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2014 :  01:23:56  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

I've been looking at that same location for the past couple of weeks for very similar reasons (although I am prepping for a 4E game but that's largely a cosmetic change) and all I can find is what you have found. I've scoured every source I can think of and I can't find anything else: its only canon descriptions seem to focus on trolls being a threat. To be more level-appropriate, these might be better replaced by forest trolls from Monster Manual III(IIRC).

Those are great suggestions about The Inheritance and Base of Operations. I wasn't familiar with the latter adventure - and have run neither - but have just read it and I think it would work really well in the Silverwood. BTW, another interesting adventure is Raiders of Galath's Roost from Dungeon 87. I think that would suit the Silverwood quite well with the Banite/Zhent fortress located in the Nether Mountains.

Thanks Derul for your suggestion on Raiders of Galath's Roost. I'm going to use it as a way to tie in my current story arc. My group has just completed the adventure "Black Fury" in the back of the Silver Marches book. Now we are hunting for the more organized sect of Malar that exists in Silverymoon.

Since Bane is returning from the dead in our game, Raiders could be the pefect tie in, the Malarites, having an already established base of power from which to operate, is partially assisting the new Bane clergy in establishing new temples around the Marches. An alliance of two minor evil powers that could potentially wreck some havoc around Silverymoon.

My group has already run across one such temple. Orcs had taken a caravan en route from Sundabar to Silverymoon. Pretty routine right? Well these orcs were paid, and we located a nearby strong hold that contained a recently constructed shrine to Bane the dead god. We killed a human who was commanding the orcs....a cleric of Bane.

I think this could tie in quite nicely.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6354 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2014 :  09:44:33  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found an adventure in an old polyhedron (number 86 i think). It details an elf settlement in Silverwood.

However it mentions they are survivors of Ylraphon and they are near to Elvenblood Pass so i think there must be another Silverwood somewhere else.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  01:25:13  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah that's over in the Vast. I'm amazed you found that old adventure though. Nice work.
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  16:01:15  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I found an adventure in an old polyhedron (number 86 i think). It details an elf settlement in Silverwood.

However it mentions they are survivors of Ylraphon and they are near to Elvenblood Pass so i think there must be another Silverwood somewhere else.

Polyhedron 85. And, yes, it's set in the Vast.

Nonetheless that was a good find. :)

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  17:15:19  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"A handful of tiny freeholds cling to the rare patches of level, clear ground in this area" comes from page 18 of Silver Marches. And you have the brief blurb on page 20.

It's also mentioned in a Rand's Travelogue; the Argent Legion is active here, to protect the Evermoor Way.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 08 Jan 2014 17:15:51
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  18:51:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Polyhedron 85. And, yes, it's set in the Vast.

Nonetheless that was a good find. :)

EXCELLENT find.

Although the 'Silverwood' mentioned therein is NOT a forest - its treant (or, at least, a variant treant). However, you guys did just lead me to Manglo, which IS a settlement! Oh happy day! (Markustay does the 'dance of joy' upon discovering yet-another of FR's 'lost locales').

Placing this right now - on my Impiltur/Vast/Bloodstone Lands map (and I am literally singing 'Oh Happy Day' - the version from Sister Act 2).

WotC really needs to compile all of the old Polyhedron FR lore into one place - its such a lost treasure.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Jan 2014 18:52:52
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  19:43:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

WotC really needs to compile all of the old Polyhedron FR lore into one place - its such a lost treasure.

Gods, that would be awesome... I'm waiting for delivery of a stack of Polyhedron issues I got in the last sale from Paizo. I wound up spending more on those than on my monthly shipment from Paizo!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1210 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2014 :  08:52:37  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

BTW, another interesting adventure is Raiders of Galath's Roost from Dungeon 87. I think that would suit the Silverwood quite well with the Banite/Zhent fortress located in the Nether Mountains.

Zhent fortress in the Nether Mountains? Where did you find this piece of lore?
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2014 :  11:53:18  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by questing gm

quote:

BTW, another interesting adventure is Raiders of Galath's Roost from Dungeon 87. I think that would suit the Silverwood quite well with the Banite/Zhent fortress located in the Nether Mountains.

Zhent fortress in the Nether Mountains? Where did you find this piece of lore?

Oops. Sorry mate, but that's a misinterpretation of "with the". More accurately, it was slopping writing on my part.

Change that to:

[i]I think that would suit the Silverwood quite well and then you could place the [b]Banite/Zhent fortress located in the Nether Mountains.[i]

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2014 :  11:58:34  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've given this a bit more thought and I also think 3E's Sunless Citadel would fit well in a mysterious defile in the Silverwood. While you could keep the dragon cult element in place (NB: not Cult of the Dragon... although that could also fit), I think it would work better as a sunken temple of Moander secreted away within the Silverwood by evil elves of Eaerlann. The Gulthias Tree would no longer the "offspring" of a vampire but created from a sliver of Moander's power.

Or something like that.

And I would probably ditch the goblins and kobolds for more plant-like things: maybe more twig blights plus corrupted myconids and even a shambling mound.

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000