Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2014)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2014 :  07:45:30  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
Howdy, fellow scribes! Long time, no see! I'm starting up a new campaign, and the players have all elected to play either Mystrans or Azuthans (2 of each, and you know what THIS means; not one level of wizard, bard, or sorceror in the bunch... huh? Anyway...) and this leads to my questions for Ed and/or his lovely, be-hooded Girl Friday: First,how do varying ecclesiastial ranks betwixt two different but closely allied faiths interact? My guess would be that (with these two faiths, at least) that the various clergy would attempt to simply arrive at consensus and over time a leader would emerge, but I was curious how you would see it playing out. Second, the source materials always depict the Azuthan church as being quite distinct from that of Mystra, but I've been depicting it as more a 'sub-cult' within the Mystran church; to use a real-world example, the Azuthans would be akin to Dominicans or Franciscans, in that they are part of the larger church, but have their own rites, heirarchy and liturgy separate from the 'main' church. Azuth then becomes something akin to the 'patron saint' of spellcasters while Mystra remains the overarching object of worship (inasmuch as she IS magic).
My reasoning here is that I can easily envision a Mystran who doesn't pay much in the way of homage to Azuth, but the inverse (an Azuthan who largely ignores Mystra in his entreaties) is kind of unthinkable. Have there been/ are there still such individuals?
One last query (I promise); I see Azuthans/ Azuth as the 'masculine aspect' of magic, needing to quantify and push limits and grasp power, seeing magic as a thing external to themselves which they USE, whereas I see Mystra (and to a lesser extent Selune and Lurue) as the 'feminine principle' of magic, which seeks to nurture and grow the Art internal to themselves, and seeing themselves as PART of the Weave. Is that at all the juxtaposition you had in mind when you created these powers? Just curious (and excited, as always, by the unforseen depths remaining in the Realms after all these years!).
Thanks in advance, and a belated Happy New Year!

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2014 :  05:47:03  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message
Hello again.

In Elminster's Guide to the Forgotten Realms, the aurilian fortress known as Frostspire was said to have been carved out of ice northeast of Citadel Adbar. Eric Boyd first mentioned this castle in an article he wrote for the WotC website but said it was located northeast of Mirabar. I take it mister Boyd was mistaken?

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2014 :  14:07:23  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, all.
hashimashadoo, I'm afraid you're mixing up the venerable fortified abbey of Frostspire Towers (created by Ed around 1986 or so, and first mentioned in published Realms canon in PRAYERS FROM THE FAITHFUL; the Wizards website of course didn't exist back then) with the much more recently constructed (built in the 1340s DR) Frostspire (no "Towers).
Frostspire (the newer one) is carved from solid ice, and was built to be the new heart/center of the Church of Auril; Frostspire Towers (the older one) is a stone fortress functioning as a n abbey for Aurilian clergy, that "grows" additional walls and towers of ice every winter as a result of spells worked by the resident clergy.
So, no, Eric wasn't mistaken. (I don't think that amiable and supremely competent man MAKES mistakes.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2014 :  18:59:04  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
A recent PM to THO:

quote:
I just had a horrible thought re: the author of "Filfaeril, Bound and Willing"

Manshoon.

I was assaulted a few minutes ago by a sudden mental image of Manshoon, as Snape, pining for the Filfaeril/Lily he can't have... hating Azoun and Cormyr not because Cormyr opposes his dreams of world domination but because Azoun is everything Manshoon never was... loved, bright-faced, trustworthy, royal, strong of arm, and ludicrously successful with every other lady he meets in addition to the only one that ever mattered.

What if Manshoon originally took the Shadowsil in as an apprentice and lover because she resembled Filfaeril? And then he fell in love with her as she (being so brilliant and intuitive that she captured Elminster's heart as well) watched him and molded her mannerisms to match Manshoon's unspoken-but-clear-to-her desires? That, of course, was her downfall. If not for her love for Manshoon, she might have stayed with Elminster long enough to model herself after *his* fantasies. Does the Simbul ever get "catty" about other women in Elminster's life? :P

Bah. Azoun had all the good things in life, most particularly Filfaeril, handed to him, while Manshoon had to "work his ass off" for everything and deal with being hounded incessantly by Elminster and his bloody do-gooder Knights and Harpers. All Azoun has to deal with is a rambunctious daughter -- those uppity nobles could be silenced easily enough if Azoun weren't such a glowing paragon of (insert sounds of revulsion here). So at some point, probably shortly after the royal wedding in Suzail and the resulting drinking-til-blackout session in Zhentil Keep, Manshoon realizes that it's never going to happen, and puts pen to paper... recording and embellishing his dreams as they come to him.

Of course, he wouldn't publish it... or would he? It would certainly cause a stir. There's no reference in the book to Manshoon himself, although there might be dalliances with unnamed Zhentarim officers. The scandal could potentially rock the throne and tarnish Azoun's sparkly coat. No loyal Cormyrean would think poorly of the Queen... for one thing, most/all of the tales are probably told to transpire before she became the Queen. For another, the only reason a noble lady resorts to the sort of thing dirty books are written about is that the legitimate man/men in her life are utterly failing to satisfy her. Of course, Manshoon is probably brighter than I am, but perhaps someone else is brighter than he gave them credit for (maybe that Harper-ally-mole in Spellfire, with the name I can't remember that starts with S) and found it and made a copy of it, and then someone else found it (maybe after the first thief's demise) and printed it quietly in Hillsfar or Mistledale, and then arranged for a small crate of them to be dropped on a minor street of Suzail.

Anyway. Yea. Manshoon and Filfaeril, up in a tree... or so he wishes.

Her response:

quote:
. . . And DEAREST xaeyruudh, you win the prize!
You are right, Manshoon is the author of Filfaeril, Bound and Willing.
And this message you've sent to me is, according to Ed, "spot on" in your depiction of Manshoon.
Please, PLEASE publish it in Ed's thread, with your announcement of your win. Some scribes have been waiting a long time!!
love,
THO

Of course, this raises a truckload of additional questions but since I'm feverish I'll give everyone else first crack at them.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 25 Jan 2014 19:15:09
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2014 :  19:13:04  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

So, no, Eric wasn't mistaken. (I don't think that amiable and supremely competent man MAKES mistakes.)
love,
THO

Eric did make ONE mistake back in November of 2005 for an issue of Dungeon Magazine but he pounced upon it right quick, correcting his error (which was very understandable, mistaking the tethyrian dialect of Common (Calant) for an actual tethyrian language) and making amends as soon as the point was raised. Considering his otherwise flawless nature, we can certainly forgive him for it but...everybody makes mistakes.

I for one am glad to know that it was my mistake, not his. My faith was being shaken by the thought of it.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2014 :  20:21:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Point taken, good sir. We are indeed all flawed, every one of us. You can inspect my flaws personally any time you like. One of them is just down HERE . . .
Ahem.
As it happens, I rummaged around and found this additional lore tidbit from Ed, re. Frostspire:

Raerele “Redtresses” Aronthan, self-styled High Icemaiden in the clergy of Auril, had plans for an aggressive recruitment and testing regime intended to bolster the ranks of the priestesses of the Cold Goddess with "battle-worthy" individuals trained by, and loyal to, Aronthan herself. Although this scheme died with her, she had written notes regarding her intended training, and these have recently vanished, with a set of rather useless, vague replacements substituted for them. Senior clergy of Auril are in something of a quiet uproar, seeking to learn who stole the notes, and more importantly why. Is someone intending to train a private cult dedicated to Auril? Or augment the ranks of the existing clergy with warlike priestesses bound to and beholden to them? Are the notes to be used purely for covert testing of the existing clergy? Or even to "break" existing clergy and bring the current Church of Auril down into ruin?
Senior clerics of the Cold Goddess want answers - - very quickly and very much. They won't hesitate to torture possible sources to death, to get them.

So saith Ed. Whose notes are endlessly fascinating, though it's always more fun to talk to the man himself.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 25 Jan 2014 20:23:19
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2014 :  20:35:45  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

. . And DEAREST xaeyruudh, you win the prize!
You are right, Manshoon is the author of Filfaeril, Bound and Willing.

bravo sir! Well done.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2014 :  21:50:36  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
I'm just glad she didn't say "oh... so close... but no." As awkward as Manshoon is, Fzoul would be far worse.

It seems, since Ed did not confirm the other parts of my idea, that my Shadowsil thought was wrong and that the means of "Filfaeril, Bound and Willing" reaching pervy Cormyrean hands was something else.

A few queries, since I'm sitting up for a while. (Everybody's "first crack" has passed.)

Is the chapbook known elsewhere, besides Cormyr, or besides Suzail in particular?

Does Filfaeril know/suspect the identity of the author, based on any unique/identifiable accounts in the book? Is that something she would share with Alusair/others?

Does Manshoon know that she enjoyed the book, or parts of it at least?

Surely Vangerdahast (if not others as well) tore a few copies apart to make sure they weren't enchanted. He probably hunted down the publisher too. Was he able to discern its origin, and did he share that information with Filfaeril?

Did Filfaeril ever actually uh... canoodle... with Manshoon? (To the prudes: Oh, come on, you know it has to be asked.) If not, did she want to? Decorum (or self-preservation instinct) might have prevented it, of course.

I suspect that Manshoon hates Alusair, for being so much like her father. Correct or no? What are his feelings about Tanalasta? Has Manshoon ever spoken directly with either of the princesses, either openly or in disguise?

Did Filfaeril ever temper Azoun's initial response to Zhentarim provocations?

Did Azoun ever face Manshoon directly, with (at least an apparent) opportunity to strike him down, and not take it?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2014 :  23:17:38  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Okay, here we go on what little I can say re. your latest, xaeyruudh.

First off, your Shadowsil thought was RIGHT.

"Is the chapbook known elsewhere, besides Cormyr, or besides Suzail in particular?"
Oh, yes, it's been spreading around the Realms, via the caravan trade route, as salacious material is wont to do.

"Does Filfaeril know/suspect the identity of the author, based on any unique/identifiable accounts in the book? Is that something she would share with Alusair/others?"
Ed will have to answer.

"Does Manshoon know that she enjoyed the book, or parts of it at least?"
Yes. He has spies in Suzail, and occasionally does some spying himself, magically disguised (attending nobles' feasts and revels, usually), so as to hear all the Suzailan highnose gossip.

"Surely Vangerdahast (if not others as well) tore a few copies apart to make sure they weren't enchanted. He probably hunted down the publisher too. Was he able to discern its origin, and did he share that information with Filfaeril?"
Ed will have to answer.

"Did Filfaeril ever actually uh... canoodle... with Manshoon? (To the prudes: Oh, come on, you know it has to be asked.) If not, did she want to? Decorum (or self-preservation instinct) might have prevented it, of course."
Ed will have to answer. Myself, I doubt she'd be willing.

"I suspect that Manshoon hates Alusair, for being so much like her father. Correct or no? What are his feelings about Tanalasta? Has Manshoon ever spoken directly with either of the princesses, either openly or in disguise?"
I know he spoke directly with them both on several occasions, in disguise. About what, Ed will have to answer (I only know the details of one meeting, and must defer to Ed as to whether they can be publicly shared.) I suspect Manshoon dislikes Alusair, yes, but must hasten to add that's my personal opinion; again, Ed must answer.

"Did Filfaeril ever temper Azoun's initial response to Zhentarim provocations?"
Oh, yes. Filfaeril was Azoun's chief confidant. He discussed everything with her, and deferred to her as "my better thinking rein on my temper." He followed Fee's advice over Vangey's, and deliberately turned to her, as a matter of habit, to curb his own responses.

"Did Azoun ever face Manshoon directly, with (at least an apparent) opportunity to strike him down, and not take it?"
I doubt it, but again, Ed must give you a proper reply; this is merely my hunch.

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2014 :  01:36:27  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Thank you THO :)

A quick clarification/something regarding the canoodling bit. I was forgetting Manshoon's age... by the "history" in the Ruins of Zhentil Keep box he was already entrenched in Zhentil Keep by the time she was a teenager... and undoubtedly the Keep's evil would have been well known by then as well.

But she likely wouldn't have known about his involvement with the Zhentarim, or his plans. I don't doubt her powers of perception; just wondering if his magic would have overcome. But perhaps he never really made a concerted attempt because he knew it would fail. "We come from too different worlds" and all that.

Edit for more clarity; I'm kinda fuzzybrained right now: I wasn't even wondering whether Filfaeril would dally with Manshoon after her marriage. Only whether she was hoodwinked when she was younger and perhaps more impressionable. Especially given his disguises, she would likely not have even known who he really was. (I'm not holding onto hope that this occurred; just wondering how much insight Manshoon had into her desires.)

Another related query: How familiar is Manshoon, pre-Spellplague, with the various secrets of the palace in Suzail?

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 26 Jan 2014 01:59:49
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2014 :  05:07:24  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message
Any time THO. If ever I cross the Atlantic and find myself in Canada I will be sure to look you up

I like the idea of Raerele Aronthan. She tried to improve the structure of the church but, more importantly, when she was murdered, her patron didn't bat a metaphysical eyelid. It seems like all of Auril's clergy who are elevated above all others meet bad ends: Raerele Aronthan, Thaulatiiya of Calimport and even Lysan from the Icewind Dale games.

Maybe Auril's fey origins cause her to dislike any mortals becoming too prominent...but that's an issue for another scroll methinks.

Go to Top of Page

acondus
Acolyte

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  04:17:40  Show Profile Send acondus a Private Message
Hello ed
I have a request
We are currently running a D&D 3.5 campaign and would love for you to create a lvl 7ist villain for us
You can create whatever you like.This is gonna be our top villain.this would be a great honor for us and we would cherish this a lot.
Thanks
Acondus
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  05:43:07  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Er, I'm not Ed, but is that 71st level, acondus?
BB
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  06:13:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by acondus

Hello ed
I have a request
We are currently running a D&D 3.5 campaign and would love for you to create a lvl 7ist villain for us
You can create whatever you like.This is gonna be our top villain.this would be a great honor for us and we would cherish this a lot.
Thanks
Acondus

Ed may not be able to assist you with this... He's not really a rules guy, and his home campaign is, as I recall, 2nd Edition.

If you were to provide some guidelines, he could prolly describe a Realms character that would fit the bill -- but that would be a description, not a fully statted NPC... And given that Ed is the poster child for "too much to do, too little time to do it!", you may be waiting a long time for a response -- some of us have queries going back years.

Now if I needed an assist on creating a bad guy, I'd go to the Running the Realms section of our forums and post a topic there, asking for suggestions. We've got a lot of creative types, and some are very good on the rules... You'd likely get a much quicker response there.

And if that is a 71st level NPC, that's going to be a bit beyond what most of us are used to. I think the highest level NPC in the published Realms is level 46.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Jan 2014 06:15:00
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  06:26:06  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message
I think it was supposed to be 7ish, not 71st.

Go to Top of Page

acondus
Acolyte

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  09:27:53  Show Profile Send acondus a Private Message
The reason i asked for Ed to do it is for the thrill and coolness of having our main evil guy created by Ed.
its 3rd ed 3.5.The stats not a big deal,looking for more a great back story and the characters demeanor.
the lvl is 7th or close to it
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  11:28:13  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message
Greetings Ed and THO,
i would like to know what's the travelling experience in the Old Empires (particularly Unther and Chessenta) in the home Realms campaign.
To narrow it down with some specific questions:
- I don't think there are major roads anywhere so how's the ... uhm ... traffic? Are there waystop inns and taverns and small outposts to change mounts if someone is in a hurry?
- Seeing how fractured Chessenta is and the swiftly decaying solidity of Unther after the death of Gilgeam, how safe are the roads? Bandits everywhere? Are there small fortified outposts everytime jurisdiction changes (mostly in Chessenta)?
- What's a common menu in Chessentan taverns and inns? Am i right in thinking they serve a lot more wine of widly different quality and a lot less ale? What types of fishes are commonly served on the coasts of Unther and Chessenta?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  13:47:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by acondus

The reason i asked for Ed to do it is for the thrill and coolness of having our main evil guy created by Ed.
its 3rd ed 3.5.The stats not a big deal,looking for more a great back story and the characters demeanor.
the lvl is 7th or close to it

Well and good, then.

But as I said, he may or may not answer any time soon. He doesn't forget questions asked, and his lovely Hooded emissary conveys everything to him, but some queries go unanswered for a long time. Just keep that in mind.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  15:11:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Er, I'm not Ed, but is that 71st level, acondus?
BB

This does remind me of the time I jokingly asked Ed about Larloch's possible character-level. Heh.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2014 :  15:13:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
And just to reiterate Wooly's earlier comments about replies from Ed...

I'll just note, specifically for any new scribes coming into this scroll for the first time, that Ed has access to a running list of existing queries, all dutifully compiled by the Lady Hooded One, so ALL queries exist already and are set for an eventual reply from Ed.

I ask that all participating scribes try to be patient and understand that both the Lady Hooded One and Ed are taking time out of their own busy schedules to help us here. We should thus, in return, avoid placing any particularly demanding requests on their collective time.

Go to Top of Page

acondus
Acolyte

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2014 :  01:47:39  Show Profile Send acondus a Private Message
im ok with waiting.Im a warhammer 40k player too so no big deal to wait
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2014 :  23:20:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Ed tells me one of the Kickstarters he (and Steven Schend, and Darrin Drader, all of Realms fame) are involved in, is getting down to the wire.
So please go and check out ARCANE SYNTHESIS, and take a look at the vast setting of Cosmothea!
I can't do linkies from where I am now, so here's the URL:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qtgames/arcane-synthesis-a-blended-genre-anthology-cosmoth/posts

...Ed really wants this one to make it, because he's itching to play in the setting!
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  03:49:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, all.
Ed tells me one of the Kickstarters he (and Steven Schend, and Darrin Drader, all of Realms fame) are involved in, is getting down to the wire.
So please go and check out ARCANE SYNTHESIS, and take a look at the vast setting of Cosmothea!
I can't do linkies from where I am now, so here's the URL:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qtgames/arcane-synthesis-a-blended-genre-anthology-cosmoth/posts

...Ed really wants this one to make it, because he's itching to play in the setting!
love to all,
THO

I meant to back this one earlier in the week.

Thanks for the reminder, my lovely lady.

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  17:35:01  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
Ed, how far can a god go to punish a single mortal/organisation/country that the god hates without other Powers going "hey! back down!" ?

For example, if Sembia pisses off Tempus to the Nth degree, what can he do to make his displeasure known?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  19:34:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
Ed,

Which of the seven sisters has the kinkiest nature? My initial thoughts are Storm. Have any of them slept with Lauzoril of Thay?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2014 :  12:29:20  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Hi THO and Ed

In the Impiltur thread in the Sages of Realmslore sub-forum, sleyvas and I were looking at the arms of Impiltur. The latest conundrum is what colour are the sword and wand? Can you tell us more about the sword and wand? Are they a certain type, or arranged a certain way? Thanks in advance.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 03 Feb 2014 12:29:54
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2014 :  23:46:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
sleyvas, I've forwarded your question to Ed, because I honestly don't know who's the kinkiest. (There's a difference between "most willing" and "kinkiest," remember. )

George, Ed fired back a very swift reply, and here it is:
Sword crosses over wand.
Wand: gold shaft, with white light (star-rayed) at business end; handle is VERY dark blue [almost black], with gold pommel, and gem-adorned at both "guard" end and pommel end.
Sword: blade is gray (so, in heraldic blazons, silver) with a VERY dark blue [almost black] grip, gold quillons and pommel.

Hope that helps.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2014 :  03:53:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Awesome. Thanks a bunch. Hugs at GEN-CON for you Ed. THO: you can just observe me from the shadows across the convention hall!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 04 Feb 2014 03:56:53
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2014 :  20:01:07  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message
Master of Realmslore and Hooded Herald,
I have two unrelated series of questions:

1) Going by what i know, no Netherese arcanist succesfully developed AND deployed large scale countermeasures to the lifedrain spells (please prove me wrong with any kind of juicy Realmslore at your disposal) but did anyone in Netheril succeed in divining the culprit AND taking the battle to the spell-hurling fanged cones? Were there battles fought underground? Did the Netherese "start" any battle (opposed to "being ambushed and outnumbered 3 to 1 by phaerimms" kind of battles)? Did any Netherese develop any special battle-spell tailored on the phaerimm's unique physiology? I thought about a spell that creates a resonance in the Weave with the effect of "counting" like a spell of way higher level (thus filling quickly phaerimm/spellfire-wielder absorbing capacity and draining quickly level-dependent magical protections that turn/stop/absorb X levels of spells before lapsing), would a spell like these strain the Weave too much? Does something like this exist or did it exist in the past?

2) Reading The Simbul's Gift by Lynn Abbey i discovered the Thayan offices of Chairmaster and Chairkeepers and the existence of the eight Larloch-made thrones used by the zulkirs during the Convocations, this prompted the following questions: anything more about the offices you can share? Who was the Chairmaster in the novel, of whom it's said that Szass Tam challenged him in the 1260s and lost? Anything more that you can share about the eight thrones? Were they really made by Larloch? Does this mean that Larloch had a hand in the establishment of the Zulkirate if not on the indipendence of Thay?
I know Ed isn't the author of this particular novel but maybe the author consulted with him on this points and there is something Ed can share, being the creator of Thay and the rest of the Realms.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2014 :  00:08:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Somehow I missed some of the responses here - Must have skipped a page or something. Manshoon? Doing the 'Snape thing'?

Thats something I would never have thought of. Great job, xaeyruudh.

So now my mind is going in directions it was never meant to go - I've asked a bunch of queries about Filfaeril, and her association with 'the Harpers' (to the point I think some of them may be pulling a Bene Gesserit {Dune} thing, placing their own agents as the spouses of lords). That seems much more like something Khelben would do then Elminster... The Backstaff is 'icier' then El (The old sage being a helpless romantic, he would be against any sort of 'arranged' coupling).

so now I'm thinking, Filfaeril must have known Manshoon before she met/married Azoun... when she may have been either a Harper agent or Harper friend (she's still a friend... not sure if she is or ever was a true Harper). Manshoon's been around a long time, no? Hasn't he used longevity potions? This makes me wonder if Filfaeril has used longevity potions as well (which may be the reason why she ages so gracefully, and was still so beautiful right 'til the end). All things I never considered before (just how long ago did that Zirta story take place?)

And then there is The Shadowsil... one of my favorite 'minor' FR characters. Is her likeness to Fae just coincidence? We know of El's relationship to the Queen of Cormyr, but what of the Shadowsil? Could it be possible she is a daughter Filfaeril had long before she met Azoun (who is probably unaware of her true age)? Is Manshoon's love for The Shadowsil not at all what we were lead to believe it was?

Was Filfaeril ever a candidate for 'Chosen of Mystra'?
Is she the lost '8th' Seventh sister?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Feb 2014 00:25:23
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000