Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2014)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 34

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  03:10:10  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Ahem, Hawkfeather, as a guy who once went arctic camping in, yes, the Arctic, above the treeline in biting cold, I can tell you that the "metal plates on sunbaked roof" trick THO mentioned works just fine in polar cold regions, at all times of the year, not just summer - - if you have full sun and not overcast or a snowstorm/windstorm blowing around already fallen snow.
Dark (as in black, or rust-brown) plates work better than shiny, because they absorb heat rather than reflecting it. The reflecting works better when combined with lenses (the magnifying glass Markustay mentioned).
Just sayin'
BB
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1704 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  07:39:53  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Combing through last year's info... what was Essemra Ruldegost's name before she married Dethnar?
Go to Top of Page

Hawkfeather
Seeker

Brazil
49 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  10:23:20  Show Profile  Visit Hawkfeather's Homepage Send Hawkfeather a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Ahem, Hawkfeather, as a guy who once went arctic camping in, yes, the Arctic, above the treeline in biting cold, I can tell you that the "metal plates on sunbaked roof" trick THO mentioned works just fine in polar cold regions, at all times of the year, not just summer - - if you have full sun and not overcast or a snowstorm/windstorm blowing around already fallen snow.
Dark (as in black, or rust-brown) plates work better than shiny, because they absorb heat rather than reflecting it. The reflecting works better when combined with lenses (the magnifying glass Markustay mentioned).
Just sayin'
BB

Thanks a lot, Blueblade! I really didn't know about this fact. Great information!
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

530 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  11:17:21  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message
Revered Master of Realmslore and gracious Hooded Lady,

rereading Netheril: Empire of Magic i came across an intersting item: Halavar's universal pantograph, a cloning device able to reproduce any non-magical thing, even living matter and people.

Is there anything that you can reveal about this wondrous device?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  14:40:04  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

rereading Netheril: Empire of Magic i came across an intersting item: Halavar's universal pantograph, a cloning device able to reproduce any non-magical thing, even living matter and people.

Thanks!

Just a note...

While Ed is always happy to provide lore on [his] Netheril, it may be a little difficult for him to provide some official answers for this query given that his input on the Netheril product, if memory serves, was very minor. Ed's Netheril remains as something very different from what we've seen in print.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

530 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  15:30:19  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

Thanks!

Just a note...

While Ed is always happy to provide lore on [his] Netheril, it may be a little difficult for him to provide some official answers for this query given that his input on the Netheril product, if memory serves, was very minor. Ed's Netheril remains as something very different from what we've seen in print.

Yeah i know N:EoM is kind of a special case among Realms sourcebooks, still, even if the answer is along the lines of "never happened in the home Realms" (probably more like "no one ever heard of it in the home Realms") i feel it's better to have an answer than not asking the question in the first place.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  18:12:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. Well, I can tell you that the pantograph itself IS an Ed creation, and that its use was fraught with problems. As in: the duplicating living things worked properly only with seeds, slime, and mold. Small and simple non-living things work best - - and the pantograph needs fuel. Usually copious amounts of rocks and mud, but more than once, someone tried to dispose of a dead body they wanted to just "vanish" by feeding it to the pantograph (which has very separate places for fuel and "things to be duplicated"). It was always a case of PR claims for the thing being far from operating reality.
Of course, Ed will in time provide a proper answer...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Thorn Illance
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2014 :  00:04:19  Show Profile Send Thorn Illance a Private Message
Hi Ed, I have two questions for you, that I hope you have time to answer. I've been reading Candlekeep for a long time, but have just today decided to join in the fun! I've enjoyed reading your responses over the years, thank you for doing it.

1.) This isn't a Realmslore question, but more of a meta-lore question: Do you think it is appropriate for (some) players of Dungeons and Dragons to play high-level or Epic characters in the Realms? I ask because in the old Realms-L and stuff, you seem to be really down on high-level PCs.

2.) Realmslore: Could you provide an approximation as to the number of classic chromatic and classic metallic dragons in Faerun?

Thank you very much for listening, have a great day!
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1356 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2014 :  04:39:00  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi THO and Ed,

In your novel Elminster's Daughter, Vangerdahast asks Joysil what are speaking gems. And she says they are something he shouldn't be meddling with, some 4,000 in number (in her hoard) from the church of Shar years ago. Is there anything that can be told about these items?

Thank you both!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5029 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2014 :  10:01:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
Hi Ed,

Have the Leiran residents of Selune ever provided maps of Toril to scholars, you know to give them a scholarly view of Abeir-Toril?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13092 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2014 :  16:29:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
How much input did you have with the Elminster's Ecologies series? The first one is apparently 'penned' by Elminster himself, but I don't see your name in the credits (there are several, but the only one I recognize is Monte Cook).

So, I'm not even sure if you can answer my full question: In the first booklet - The Explorer's Manual - Elminster refers to his nephew twice, and that he is "Very brave, but empty in the attic, if thou get my drift". He later mentions he works in the "Shadowdale's finest bakery", The Flour Pot.

Who is he, and how is he related to Elminster?

I had always assumed (previously) that this was a 'cover' for Lhaeo, and a lie, but now that I just realized this isn't Lhaeo (because of the bakery), I want to know more.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Jan 2014 16:33:01
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2014 :  17:05:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Markustay, Ed didn't have direct involvement in the ECOLOGIES series, but did have indirect development (i.e. some of the lore was drawn from his notes, already "on file" at TSR, and various editors contacted him with questions while they were being put together, to yield little touches to add to the text.
I can tell you that the reference you cite was a bit of an in-joke. In Shadowdale, almost everyone does their own baking (in outdoor "backyard" ovens; I put the backyard in quotes because it's not a term that anyone in the Realms would recognize except in cases of inns or castles that have multiple courtyards/stableyards, so one of them could be termed a "back" yard). So in fact the dale has only one bakery that's a standalone business.
So not only is The Flour Pot Shadowdale's finest bakery - - it's Shadowdale's ONLY bakery. (At the time being written about.)
Now, as for the nephew: no, it's not Lhaeo. Elminster has a lot of relatives that he largely doesn't acknowledge, because becoming known as "of the blood of Aumar" (i.e. related to Elminster) is like wearing a target on your back. And front. And the top of your head. And so on.
I have forwarded your post to Ed to see what he's willing to divulge about this particular nephew, at this time. As you know, he dwells in the heart of a forest of thick-standing sentinel NDAs. Like duskwoods and shadowtops, only more numerous and more apt to fall on one with a crash, if unduly disturbed.
love,
THO
P.S. And the "forwarded to Ed" goes for all of the excellent questions posted by scribes above Markustay's query. Ed is (as usual) a busy busy guy, so we'll see how soon he responds.
Go to Top of Page

Shyadaar Shadoowbane
Acolyte

South Africa
1 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2014 :  00:15:33  Show Profile Send Shyadaar Shadoowbane a Private Message
Greeting Ed and THO

I would like to ask about lore on the chosen ones. Is Mystra the only deity that has them. I have seen as template for chosen of Bane but no lore on it. My game is running right in the middle of the time of troubles. So I have to wonder what has happened to them since Mystra has died. Do they become chosen of midnight now. How much of midnight is the old Mystra. Was becoming chosen ever meant for player characters.

And I was wondering if you have any lore on the rage of dragons.

Than very much
Your humble apprentice
Shyadaar Shadowbane
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1704 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2014 :  18:03:04  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Dear THO, another clarification regarding one of last year's answers.

quote:

Fendarl and Daerthra Illance (Fendarl is a cousin of the current heir, and his wife Daerthra a Huntinglance by birth) recently had a son, usually known formally as Darvyn, and within the family as "Dar."
His full, formal name is Andemarl Daryn Trevilar Hothon Baerilym Dathmur Illance.

Are both of these meant to be Darvyn or Daryn?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2014 :  20:02:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi, xaeyruudh.
Both are meant to be DARVYN (yes, Darvyn).
Sorry about that.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1704 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2014 :  20:11:42  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
I was just checking. You need never apologize.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1704 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2014 :  20:50:39  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
On to a different topic: beast cults! I'm trying to assemble some kind of cohesive index of lore on the powers, so I'm beginning with "Down-to-earth divinity." Which is still a great article, and I wish more designers explained their decisions and offered tips like this. Thank you.

1. Does Lolth have any competition in her role as the power behind spider cults in human/demihuman lands? Are there other spider powers, or exceptional mortal/quasidivine spiders in Faerun? And if so, it goes without saying that she plans to eat them, right?

2. Where do cults of Hlyyaak have influence? Actually that has an obvious answer so: where are large numbers of camels found in the Realms? I'm coming up blank beyond maybe Calimshan and Semphar (oops, and Anauroch).

3. Is there an elephant beast cult? (Seems as likely as a camel cult, right?)

4. There's a horse cult that's been talked about somewhere too, isn't there? My memory is foggy.

5. A question about Mask, because he's beastly. I ran my mouth in Erik's thread a while back about which gods we think should be front-and-center in 5e... I went on about how Mask should be CN rather than NE, in order to better serve as a patron of rogues rather than being evil and hence inappropriate in some minds for beginning players. I see in the Dragon #54 article that Mask has been NE from the beginning. If, according to a probably-American phrase, "we're all snowflakes," what does "NE" mean for Mask in particular? Finally the question: how do you run Mask?

Thank you!

(edit: How'd I forget about Anauroch? I love that place!)

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 13 Jan 2014 20:53:26
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1356 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  14:11:53  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi THO and Ed,

Love the new Forging the Realms article "The House of the Falling Axe"! Love dwarf lore when we receive it! hehe

The question I had regarded Dorn Forgebar. Is he an outcast from the Forgebar clan mentioned in long ago Dragon #252? Anything you could share regarding his background? Are the 3 dozen dwarves he represents of that clan too?

Thank you both!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5029 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  15:02:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

On to a different topic: beast cults! I'm trying to assemble some kind of cohesive index of lore on the powers, so I'm beginning with "Down-to-earth divinity." Which is still a great article, and I wish more designers explained their decisions and offered tips like this. Thank you.

1. Does Lolth have any competition in her role as the power behind spider cults in human/demihuman lands? Are there other spider powers, or exceptional mortal/quasidivine spiders in Faerun? And if so, it goes without saying that she plans to eat them, right?

2. Where do cults of Hlyyaak have influence? Actually that has an obvious answer so: where are large numbers of camels found in the Realms? I'm coming up blank beyond maybe Calimshan and Semphar (oops, and Anauroch).

3. Is there an elephant beast cult? (Seems as likely as a camel cult, right?)

4. There's a horse cult that's been talked about somewhere too, isn't there? My memory is foggy.

5. A question about Mask, because he's beastly. I ran my mouth in Erik's thread a while back about which gods we think should be front-and-center in 5e... I went on about how Mask should be CN rather than NE, in order to better serve as a patron of rogues rather than being evil and hence inappropriate in some minds for beginning players. I see in the Dragon #54 article that Mask has been NE from the beginning. If, according to a probably-American phrase, "we're all snowflakes," what does "NE" mean for Mask in particular? Finally the question: how do you run Mask?

Thank you!

(edit: How'd I forget about Anauroch? I love that place!)

There's an elephant cult down in Zakhara (on Afyal, the isle of the elephant). More info in the ruined kingdoms supplement for Al-Qadim.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1704 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  18:11:28  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

There's an elephant cult down in Zakhara

Yah, I remember them, though it's been a while since I've read that material... they didn't strike me as a beast cult, but maybe I was mistaken.

That does bring up another question, though it's probably been asked before. In fact it's even possible that I've asked it before. Do Zakhara, Kara-Tur, or Maztica figure into the home game?

And as a tangent to that, have you developed the unpublished continents for your own players?
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1353 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  22:07:51  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:

I'm not Ed, but Aranea of the Spider Swamp were said to worship Zanassu, before he was killed and subsumed by Selvetarm and after (they are unaware of the changes and given the circumstances, may or may not care much even if they knew). Not as a "state religion", but they got a traditional organization of warrior-priest defenders.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29637 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2014 :  04:49:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I've been reading Murder In Baldur's Gate, and there is a paragraph detailing "modest, makeshift shrines" that I thought was quite well-done. These weren't formal structures, like pavilions, they were basically holy symbols in very appropriate spots, like Shar's emblem on the wall of an alley that never sees sunlight, or a tree that serves as a shrine to Silvanus.

This has made me curious about other small, informal shrines, especially in public places. Most particularly, I am curious about shrines in businesses like shops, taverns, inns, festhalls, and the like.

I'm not looking for info on shrines to any specific deity, more of general information... Such as, if an inn has a shrine, how big and prominent would it be? How common are shrines that are accessible to patrons of an establishment? And would it be common to find one establishment with multiple shrines, or a single, shared shrine to multiple deities, or are single shrines to single deities the most common?

I'd be happy to see information on other informal shrines outside of businesses, too, but right now, I'm most curious about those within businesses.

As always, I appreciate the time and the lore!

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2014 :  15:03:03  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

I'm not Ed, but Aranea of the Spider Swamp were said to worship Zanassu, before he was killed and subsumed by Selvetarm and after (they are unaware of the changes and given the circumstances, may or may not care much even if they knew). Not as a "state religion", but they got a traditional organization of warrior-priest defenders.

Don't quote me just yet [until I've searched the archives], but I think Ed [or Eric Boyd] has tackled this kind of question before.

I'll need to check the archive backlog.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13092 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2014 :  16:07:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Leucrotta have their own pantheon of 'beast gods', although thats probably not what you were looking for. They're discussed in the Elminster's Ecologies booklet covering Thar.

However, I doubt any humans worship Leucrotta 'gods', or even know of them.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1704 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2014 :  17:10:28  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
All is well I hope, on the northern frontier. We've had some dampness in what we call the Northwest, but sadly I've seen only one or two snowy mornings so far this winter. So down here, the north is not living up to its reputation.

I have a theory that either (1) Elminster has kidnapped Ed and is lecturing him on what Must Be Done about this and especially That, or (2) Ed is hiding in the attic again during a long-missed meeting of the Wizards Three. (I'm not getting antsy; I know the book and article plans are probably falling on him like, well, probably like bowling ball sized hailstones... but it's fun to conjecture.)

Speaking of the keepers of knowledge, what do Heralds do when their communities are either destroyed or ...uh remodeled... sufficiently that the Herald must leave or die? I think this has two parts; what does an individual Herald do, and what happens to the office if the community in question remains inhospitable when a Herald must be replaced? Examples: Murann in 3e, Wheloon (I think?) and a whole bunch of other places in 4e. Not only would the Herald be unable to reside there, but the duties of heraldry would be difficult/impossible to perform. And Halruaa... Halruaa had Heralds, right?

Also, are local Heralds assigned to particular communities, or are they ever/often allowed to choose which communities they'll serve?

Good luck with those Wizards!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 34 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000