Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2014)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 34

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2685 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2014 :  00:14:20  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Greetings Ed and THO, I have a question for you.

I know that Eilistraee was created by Ed under commission by TSR, however I was wondering if he decided to include her in his Realms (and if you ever got to meet some of her followers during your campaign) and -assuming so- if his version of the Dark Maiden is any different from the published one.

Thanks for your time.

I've got an answer to this on the Edverse website. If anyone is curious, then yes: Eilistraee is part of Ed's own world and was even before TSR commissioned her.

http://theedverse.com/#comment-1534073727

quote:
Hi, Tommaso. You're very welcome!
Yes, Eilistraee is part of the "home" Realms campaign and has appeared "onstage" and by dream-vision and manifestation in Realmsplay. At the writing of (the first) DROW OF THE UNDERDARK, I was asked to create a deity for "good" drow for the game, and used the opportunity to make official the Dark Dancer female drow goddess I'd already created for my own use.
And, oh yes: Eilistraee lives!
:}
Ed

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/

Edited by - Irennan on 09 Aug 2014 00:16:51
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4279 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2014 :  01:17:43  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

I've got an answer to this on the Edverse website. If anyone is curious, then yes: Eilistraee is part of Ed's own world and was even before TSR commissioned her.

http://theedverse.com/#comment-1534073727

The site should be suspect at best for a voice of Ed Speaks. I defer to The Lady Herald to confirm.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2685 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2014 :  01:24:40  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
Well, wow.
If someone actually went through all the work of putting up that site and answering questions for Ed in such a detailed way just to fake being him, that would be pathologic. Also it seems to have been around for about 1 year up to now, and stuff like signed copies of books and so on can be purchased through it. I guess that if it was fake, it would have already been shut down.

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4279 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2014 :  01:26:28  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
It has occurred before.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1361 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2014 :  03:16:05  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
That's Ed's personal website and the real deal. I've watched the Youtube videos there and that's him. ;)

I think it's been mentioned here in the Halls, but I forget at the moment.

Edited by - Eilserus on 09 Aug 2014 03:18:07
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4853 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2014 :  04:08:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Eilserus has the right of it. It is real, pure, 100% Ed goodness.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2014 :  05:24:33  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
Yeah, that is definitely him talking. Have to say I love the banner title "...To End All Realms Shaking Events." Here's hoping they are ended for good and all. :)
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

530 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2014 :  10:49:17  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message
Gracious Lady, Revered Master,

another Zhentarim-related question after the one about the Pereghost:
when Zhent mercenaries need to show up somewhere without clearly showing their true Zhent colors how do they present themselves? To elaborate, if questioned, do they claim to be unnamed hiresword bands, a random bunch of sellswords, or do they have a list of "usable fake merc company names and backgrounds" to exploit in covering up their presence?
If i was a guard captain of someplace and 20 armed individuals came to my someplace and their leader told me they were "just sellswords" i would be instantly suspicious and calling in all reserves to keep an eye on them, whereas if the same 20 individuals presented themselves as the Bloody Banner Mercenary Company out of Scornubel (with maybe a forged paper for show) i'll probably be more relaxed and maybe check the authenticity of the claim or maybe not.
So, is there any "fake adventuring bands and mercenary companies master list" from which Zhent higher-ups pull names that Zhents field officer then use to cover up their identity? Was something like this ever discovered by the Harpers or Knights of Myth Drannor or other groups opposing the Zhentarim?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2014 :  14:36:48  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

Gracious Lady, Revered Master,

another Zhentarim-related question after the one about the Pereghost:
when Zhent mercenaries need to show up somewhere without clearly showing their true Zhent colors how do they present themselves? To elaborate, if questioned, do they claim to be unnamed hiresword bands, a random bunch of sellswords, or do they have a list of "usable fake merc company names and backgrounds" to exploit in covering up their presence?
If i was a guard captain of someplace and 20 armed individuals came to my someplace and their leader told me they were "just sellswords" i would be instantly suspicious and calling in all reserves to keep an eye on them, whereas if the same 20 individuals presented themselves as the Bloody Banner Mercenary Company out of Scornubel (with maybe a forged paper for show) i'll probably be more relaxed and maybe check the authenticity of the claim or maybe not.
So, is there any "fake adventuring bands and mercenary companies master list" from which Zhent higher-ups pull names that Zhents field officer then use to cover up their identity? Was something like this ever discovered by the Harpers or Knights of Myth Drannor or other groups opposing the Zhentarim?

Thanks!

I don't think they'd have to be fake. The zhents hire mercs all the time, so they could just send in some that are already known somewhat. This way if they are all killed off, no Zhents lost, just mercs they dont have to pay :)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2014 :  14:49:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
A few quick things:

Sage, most pickling in the North is brining, but some of the Southern pickling is in edible oils. (Ed's notes, at least the ones I have to hand, are a little skimpy on this.)

Kentinal, I can confirm that theedverse.com is indeed Ed's own site, and that is him in the videos, talking into a leetle camera perched atop his largest iMac. I'm told the filming venue may soon change to another room in his house, as his faithful minions get the Merrie Mansion cleaned up a bit.

Demzer: The Zhents have a whole list of cover names as mercenaries, and I can scare up six of them just from the Ed's notes I have handy: Galadaer's Griffonhouse [[Galadaer was a famous fat, jovial, heavy-drinking mercenary captain of a century ago; the Zhents took over his company after his death]]; the Boldblood Banners; the Bronze Glaive; Hallowhand Solutions; Markalhar's Blades; and Hondur's Banners.

Everyone: The next Elminster novel is done and happily in WotC's hands; Ed's steampunk novel, THE IRON ASSASSIN (a "romp," he tells me) is similarly done, and tentatively scheduled for June 2015; and Ed is happily at work on some projects he can't talk about yet. Including future Realms-related things, of course.

And that's all, just for now. I'm going to try my annual "sneak down to GenCon" attempt, and probably fail, but Ed promises a reply or even two before he departs for Indy...
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
908 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2014 :  17:11:54  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message
EdVerse is awesome! I'll talk to Ed in a few days, but thanks again THO for donating your time to all of us here at Candlekeep.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2014 :  05:00:55  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
Ed, THO,

Mindworms played a major role in the Knights of Myth Drannor novels, and I'm guessing in your home campaign as well. As far as I've been able to find, they have never been detailed. Can you provide us whatever details you have?

Thanks

TMM
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Senior Scribe

Canada
791 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  03:25:53  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message
Hi THO and Ed! Greetings from Toronto.
This is maybe more a question for Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak, but I hope Ed may be able to answer or provide insight. We've been discussing Alias the Sellsword in another thread and her "sisters" such as Cat of Ordulin and Jade Moore. Of her creators, several are either immortal or ageless/undead; it makes sense that they would make their creation very long lived or ageless in that regard if they had that ability. Certainly Finder was trying to find a way to keep his music alive for eternity when he started the process (recognizing his not-so-sure mortality). So, my question is, would it be possible for Alias to be alive in the late 1400s, and her clones?
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2014 :  20:58:16  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message
Hey THO and Ed!

I was wondering if you could confirm whether Narnra is still around these days? I know Amarune is her descendent, but I figure as a child of Elminster and a Song Dragon, 100 years might not be much of an issue for her. I liked her character a lot.

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30083 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  22:29:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Hello, friend Ed!

Having just read the new Forging the Realms article entitled "A Statuesque Affair," I'm now curious about the statues you named in there. Can you describe the statues (which I have named below), and perhaps say something about their creators?

“Lureeauna Surprised”
“Battle in the Boudoir”
“Inspired by a Spiderweb at Dawn”
“Moondew Nightmare”

As a followup, are there any particularly well-known statues in the Realms (such as David, The Thinker, or the Statue of Liberty), or at least in Waterdeep?

As always, my thanks to you and your lovely go-between!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 13 Aug 2014 22:31:04
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31689 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2014 :  03:13:44  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
In a similar focus to what Wooly just asked, I've queries about sculptures and/or sculptors in the Realms. Could you please pass them along to Ed as well, my lovely lady?

Specifically, have any particular sculptures/sculptors been the focus of your home campaigns? Could you briefly elaborate on any styles or trends that these sculptures may have introduced into the world of worked marble/stone? Have any sculptors become dastardly villains... perhaps adapting their marble/stone work for fiendish purposes? [I'm kind of thinking something like Marvel Comics' Gray Gargoyle character for this.]

Many thanks, as always.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

rodrigoalcanza
Seeker

Brazil
59 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  04:56:01  Show Profile Send rodrigoalcanza a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Infamous

Hi there everyone.

I have been feeling a little down about the combat-oriented nature of FR (specifically, D&D's) spells. I just watched a few documentaries about other civilizations and there is so much more than war to life. There could be house-building spells, foot-massage cantrips, magical candy, enchanted boots for everyday use, hair-loss hexes, and so many delightful sexual charms and incantations for pleasure or to uphold certain customs. In a nutshell, I have found that the -- probably incorrect -- vision of FR as nations of either mostly poor, medieval-europe-like folk with magic-less tough lives, or a few nobles and adventurers who can afford magic which is only battle-oriented, to be... a boring concept.

In other words, the game focus of D&D has been stealing away flavor from my Forgotten Realms.

The question is: where, outside of Ed's mind, do I find what I crave for? Where are the magical things for everyday life and regular folk? I think J.K. Rowling did a wonderful job with the Harry Potter series balancing war and quotidian wizardry; I wish we could achieve that, too.

This is a very important question. I've done similar questions over the years. THO, Ed has any answers for this?

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

I bring topical questions for Ed!

Will the new D&D/Realms art show any of the 'Robin Hoodiness' of your costume sketches included in Elminster's Forgotten Realms? (This prompted by this illustration, which shows adventurers blessedly not concept-designed and ornamented to death.)

How do you feel the flattened power curve of the fifth edition rules matches the Realms? And the not-quite-Vanceian magic system? Put another way, this question is about how exactly you adapted AD&D magic as an approximation of Realms magic.

If this is all premature, I bid thee stay silent and I'll ask again in time.

This is also another very interesting question. As the new magic system approaches the original vision of Ed Greenwood about the Realms?

Edited by - rodrigoalcanza on 18 Aug 2014 05:02:24
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  14:58:20  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage  Send Krafus an AOL message Send Krafus a Private Message
Hello again, Ed and THO. In a previous post, I asked what two of the dragons from the Wyrms of the North articles might be up to during Tyranny of Dragons. Now, there are three more of those dragons whose doings during Tyranny I'd like to know, if they've survived up until then: Malaeragoth the Dragon Unseen, Valamaradace the Dragon Queen, and her mate Deszeldarundyn Silverwing. Malaeragoth enjoys manipulating the Cult, while the Dragon Queen and her consort would likely be prime targets for the Cult and its dragon allies.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1361 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  19:54:52  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

Did you make it down to GenCon THO? How's Ed doing and what are his thoughts on this years GenCon?

I was also wondering if there is anything that can be told about the small town of Easting, where dwarves from the Far Hills trade. Given that the 5E Realms is pushing forward, how about what this place was like in the past? I was curious what the layout of the town is like. On a hill or in a valley etc. Are the homes stone etc. Is there a big market area for when the Stout Folk come to trade? Just looking for a bit more lore to flesh this place out if possible. :)

Thank you both!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2014 :  17:27:35  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Eilserus, your Easting query is off to Ed to see what he can share. :}
I'm afraid I couldn't make it to Indy this year; my employers are on to me, and now stymie my attempts to sneak down to see Ed. :{
However, Ed and I have e-mailed back and forth since GenCon, and he told me his aging body can no longer flourish on really crammed con schedules, which GenCon was, this year, but that he LOVED spending time with new friends and old, and GenCon was an utter hit this year, in that regard. From his secretive meetings with writers and designers quite familiar to scribes here to high-powered conflabs with major publishers to delightful lunches and dinners with the likes of Kris the Grey and Emma Drake and their friends and fellow gamers, Ed really enjoyed himself...and is working up to announcing something big, when the time is right. Ed was also pleased to see the new D&D publications finally (from his POV) starting to reach the public. His annual Indy visit recharges his batteries, so...expect great new lore to appear in the months ahead. Special thanks from Ed to Brian Cortijo for spearheading Candlekeep, and to all who took part in it, "on both sides of the table" as Ed put it. Ed got to spend time with both Eric Boyd and George Krashos again, and warns that "any time lorelords of the Realms gather, scribes should anticipate" (though he was silent on anticipate WHAT ;} ). As for me, I'll hook up with Ed for a few moments at FanExpo, and yearn for my next GenCon. But weep not for me; I've had more quality intimate alone time with Ed than most scribes would ever want (wink, wink, nudge, etc.).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1631 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2014 :  20:10:39  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage  Send Steven Schend a Yahoo! Message Send Steven Schend a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Eilserus, your Easting query is off to Ed to see what he can share. :}
I'm afraid I couldn't make it to Indy this year; my employers are on to me, and now stymie my attempts to sneak down to see Ed. :{
However, Ed and I have e-mailed back and forth since GenCon, and he told me his aging body can no longer flourish on really crammed con schedules, which GenCon was, this year, but that he LOVED spending time with new friends and old, and GenCon was an utter hit this year, in that regard. From his secretive meetings with writers and designers quite familiar to scribes here to high-powered conflabs with major publishers to delightful lunches and dinners with the likes of Kris the Grey and Emma Drake and their friends and fellow gamers, Ed really enjoyed himself...and is working up to announcing something big, when the time is right. Ed was also pleased to see the new D&D publications finally (from his POV) starting to reach the public. His annual Indy visit recharges his batteries, so...expect great new lore to appear in the months ahead. Special thanks from Ed to Brian Cortijo for spearheading Candlekeep, and to all who took part in it, "on both sides of the table" as Ed put it. Ed got to spend time with both Eric Boyd and George Krashos again, and warns that "any time lorelords of the Realms gather, scribes should anticipate" (though he was silent on anticipate WHAT ;} ). As for me, I'll hook up with Ed for a few moments at FanExpo, and yearn for my next GenCon. But weep not for me; I've had more quality intimate alone time with Ed than most scribes would ever want (wink, wink, nudge, etc.).
love,
THO

Any Realms fans within the Midwest (or within driving distance, like Lady Hooded, mayhaps?) who missed seeing Ed at GenCon could catch him next month at Grand Con in Grand Rapids Michigan. It's Sept 19-21 and all details are at http://grand-con.com/

Steven
who'll be there too along with Jeff Grubb and others with links to the Realms

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4853 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  08:15:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
Any Realms fans within the Midwest (or within driving distance, like Lady Hooded, mayhaps?) who missed seeing Ed at GenCon could catch him next month at Grand Con in Grand Rapids Michigan. It's Sept 19-21 and all details are at http://grand-con.com/

Steven
who'll be there too along with Jeff Grubb and others with links to the Realms

And some leftover presents from DownUnder.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3385 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  20:28:26  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message
Hi Ed/THO,

Random question which popped into my head earlier today.

Why was Arcorar not populated by the elves until the end of the Crown Wars.

After all it is (was) one of the largest forests on Toril, extending from Cormyr and the Netheril Basin, all the way to the Moonsea and even into the Vast.

Even more puzzling is the lack of mention of anything else living in the forest.

So while the elves were killing each other en masse what was living inside the borders of Arcorar, and why did the elves stay away?

Was it a holy ground thing. Did the Fey keep it off limits. Was there something so evil in there that the elves kept away until they had no choice but to venture inside. Or were there elves there all along but they did something wrong and got expunged from history.

I have a few ideas (not limited to the ones above), but would love to hear what is in Ed's head.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - dazzlerdal on 25 Aug 2014 20:30:11
Go to Top of Page

vallon
Seeker

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  21:09:25  Show Profile Send vallon a Private Message
Hello THO/Ed,

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before, but here goes:

I'm a big fan of Finder and the Novak/Grubb novels that revolve around him. Are there any plans to raise his profile as a god in future novels/realmslore?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  23:27:06  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO!

I was wondering if Ed would be so kind as to provide us with some lore on Baerauble Etharr? Specifically, I am interested in the Etharr family in Netheril and anything Ed could tell us about Baerauble's formative years there.

Also, are there any contemporary members of the Etharr family that are Shadovar?

Thank you both!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 34 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000