Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2014)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 34

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1357 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  14:26:54  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
Ed, THO,

I've started reading through all your old posts answering questions... (today I was reading in 2006). Over and over again we come upon the dreaded NDAs; I'm wondering if many of those old NDAs are no longer in effect given the drastic changes that have happened to FR in the interim. If its not too much of a nuisance I thought I'd start a series of daily 'Can you tell me more about this previously deemed NDA topic' questions.

Today's question revolves around a line of responses you made about the best swordsmen in the Realms: Can you tell us more about ‘the (previously deemed NDA) Questmaster'?
Go to Top of Page

Beppe63
Seeker

Italy
40 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2014 :  15:48:47  Show Profile  Visit Beppe63's Homepage Send Beppe63 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
Have you looked at the lineage of Cormyr in "Grand History of the Realms"?

-- George Krashos

Yes, George Krashos but I have difficult to indetify what king would be better suited trying to stay in the canons of the Realms. Any hint?

Bye.

Beppe63
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4745 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  01:01:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Beppe63

quote:
Have you looked at the lineage of Cormyr in "Grand History of the Realms"?

-- George Krashos

Yes, George Krashos but I have difficult to indetify what king would be better suited trying to stay in the canons of the Realms. Any hint?

Four hundred years makes that a tad difficult. No reason for any of the 900s DR kings to be buried there. Now, if that dating is flexible, Proster is your man. For the purposes of your campaign, I'd suggest him.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1367 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  08:53:47  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
Ed, THO, thanks for the constant stream of juicy lore.

Question: could you please give some details on "ravening fire" spell (mentioned in Volo’s Guide to All Things Magical)? Even if you won't give stats, the very idea of partially successful attempt to imitate spellfire raises a lot of questions, like... does it "resemble" spellfire in the sense that it's partially raw magic too, if with different properties, in that it destroys active spells or that it merely looks similar? It's obviously far from common, but then, who is likely to use it?..

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1357 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2014 :  16:33:15  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
In today's reading of post of yesteryear I came across a term THO used when describing Dove of the seven: "Weave-healing"

Has this ability (that which chosen use to heal themselves and others in your novels) ever been spelled out in game terms? I looked back at the Powers Of The Chosen write up in Seven Sisters and found that it was absent. If not would you fill me in on the particulars?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2014 :  00:02:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I bring you Ed's responses to The Masked Mage:

Sorry, the Questmaster is still NDA.
Weave-healing is learning how to use the Weave to heal (in other words, instead of casting a spell to harness the Weave to manipulate the natural energies of the world to create a healing effect, you harness the Weave directly).
Learning how to do this requires lots of experience in working with the Weave, and is done slightly differently by everyone who learns how to do it (which is why it's never been a formal put-into-game-rules power). Elminster is the only real Weavemaster alive and active in the Realms today, according to Mystra (who IS the Weave, so she should know), but Azuth and the Srinshee would have greater mastery of the Weave than old El, and most of the other Chosen of Mystra are well on the way to becoming Weavemasters. Most of the "Chosen" of other deities are merely champions or favored mortals of those gods, given the title "Chosen," rather than working closely with the Weave all the time, as the Chosen of Mystra do - - so while some of them may have learned how to work directly with the Weave in small ways, any claims to "Weave mastery" on their part are just that: claims. Not reality. With that said, veteran priests of high level of any faith, who have done lots of healing, may understand HOW Weave-healing is done, and may well be able to accomplish it with the favor of their deity, by calling through prayer while the being to be healed is on an altar, or touched by something sacred to the god. In all cases, I have handled this as a DM as something to be roleplayed, not "another spell in my toolbox that I the player announce my character is casting."
Hope this helps.

So saith Ed. Who is busy busy busy on new Realmslore that he's not allowed to say more about. He warns The Masked Mage and others that most NDAs just stay in place - - but promises he'll have a go at stickhandling around them for anyone who asks.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Beppe63
Seeker

Italy
40 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2014 :  10:04:10  Show Profile  Visit Beppe63's Homepage Send Beppe63 a Private Message
quote:

Four hundred years makes that a tad difficult. No reason for any of the 900s DR kings to be buried there. Now, if that dating is flexible, Proster is your man. For the purposes of your campaign, I'd suggest him.

-- George Krashos

Thanks George, I will use your suggestion.

Bye.

Beppe63
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1357 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2014 :  09:59:25  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
Ed/THO Thanks for the reply.

As far as NDAs staying NDAs, I'm assuming that most of the NDAs I bring up will not yeild much if anything... but one can always hope.

For today I would like to ask about the Sword Heralds and the Mages Regal. The Sword Heralds have been NDA forever so I'm guessing they still are, but they remain as you described them way back in Volo's Guide "One of the most fascinating - and little known - subjects in any study of the folklore of Cormyr". So is there anything you can tell us about them? Perhaps more on their membership (either those who have passed away, or those who survive - or possibly any that are now undead... Possibly of a known hideaway or two... Perhaps details on the Hidden House Tessaril uses...

I throw the Mages Regal into the mix as well because their brief mention in the 3rd Ed FRCS book is just begging to be expanded upon. Who were they? Do you have write ups on any of their spells dealing with portals/gates (or others not known to them).

I'm hoping at least some of this lets you navigate past the mighty NDAs :)

Thank you for your time!

TMM
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  02:05:59  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Sorry, The Masked Mage, Ed tells me both the Sword Heralds and the Mages Regal are still heavily NDA'd. He added: "SOME day..."
Sorry.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1357 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  11:03:49  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
:) - I figured as much... Eagerly awaiting that day. :)
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4745 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  12:01:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
I should have the years ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  16:34:41  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message
NDA's are a real pain. Ed could give us so much more lore (much of it already written no doubt) but for these damned roadblocks. About time the powers that be released their counterproductive lockdown!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29723 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  17:41:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus

NDA's are a real pain. Ed could give us so much more lore (much of it already written no doubt) but for these damned roadblocks. About time the powers that be released their counterproductive lockdown!

The thing is, leaving an NDA in place is absolutely free and costs Wizards nothing in regards to time or money. Lifting one, on the other hand, requires examining why the NDA was in place, making sure it doesn't affect any future or potential future plans, having their legal people make sure everything is kosher, and then contacting everyone involved.

So even something as minor as lifting an NDA on who killed the Cormyrean nobleman Lord Arjent Nounsilver in 1357 can still involve hours of work involving multiple people - both on the creative side and on the non-creative side.

That's a lot of billable labor for an end goal that gets Wizards nothing but the goodwill of some curious fans.

I'm no fan of NDAs, and there are a lot of them I'd like to see lifted... Especially the one that Ed told me he thought would be lifted in May of 2013, concerning a particular character I'd emailed him about! But I can understand why WotC leaves them in place once they are set, and I can't really fault them for it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  21:42:41  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

The thing is, leaving an NDA in place is absolutely free and costs Wizards nothing in regards to time or money. Lifting one, on the other hand, requires examining why the NDA was in place, making sure it doesn't affect any future or potential future plans, having their legal people make sure everything is kosher, and then contacting everyone involved.

So even something as minor as lifting an NDA on who killed the Cormyrean nobleman Lord Arjent Nounsilver in 1357 can still involve hours of work involving multiple people - both on the creative side and on the non-creative side.

That's a lot of billable labor for an end goal that gets Wizards nothing but the goodwill of some curious fans.

I'm no fan of NDAs, and there are a lot of them I'd like to see lifted... Especially the one that Ed told me he thought would be lifted in May of 2013, concerning a particular character I'd emailed him about! But I can understand why WotC leaves them in place once they are set, and I can't really fault them for it.

Its called taking care of your customers. Many nda's are in place because of abandoned story arcs etc. If wotc can't spend a tiny bit of cash on clearing nda's then it just gives me an even lower impression of them.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29723 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2014 :  23:12:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Its called taking care of your customers. Many nda's are in place because of abandoned story arcs etc. If wotc can't spend a tiny bit of cash on clearing nda's then it just gives me an even lower impression of them.

So you have a lower opinion of them because they won't spend money on something that gets them nothing? I'm afraid you must have a low opinion of most businesses, then...

Taking care of customers is always a worthy goal for a business, but 99.9% of businesses are going to opt to do so in a way that gets them money.

And examining past plans, future plans, having Legal eyeball everything, and contacting a bunch of people is not something that costs only a "tiny bit of cash". It would involve potentially hours of work from several creative types and the legal types, and then someone to contact the folks affected by the NDA. This could easily be hundreds or even thousands of dollars of pay to everyone involved, when they could be doing something else that actually makes money for the company.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 05 Aug 2014 23:13:21
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2014 :  15:10:28  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

So you have a lower opinion of them because they won't spend money on something that gets them nothing? I'm afraid you must have a low opinion of most businesses, then...

Taking care of customers is always a worthy goal for a business, but 99.9% of businesses are going to opt to do so in a way that gets them money.

And examining past plans, future plans, having Legal eyeball everything, and contacting a bunch of people is not something that costs only a "tiny bit of cash". It would involve potentially hours of work from several creative types and the legal types, and then someone to contact the folks affected by the NDA. This could easily be hundreds or even thousands of dollars of pay to everyone involved, when they could be doing something else that actually makes money for the company.

Wotc have lawyers on staff so that takes care of most of your costs. Erm, unless you missed it, wotc is a creative fiction brand. Its what they do. They employ people to create. Who exactly would need to be contacted about nda secrecy being broken? Most nda's would have little or no impact on the setting as a whole. Ed already has tons of lore to go so why not give it the once over and ok it?
What does it give them? Happy fans, loyalty, thats what. Happy loyal fans are far more likely to spend money, so ultimately, itmakes the company a profit.
Who knows, new adventures and novels might be created through the release.

Edited by - Arcanus on 06 Aug 2014 15:14:23
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1357 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2014 :  15:46:26  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
Either way, the NDAs do exist and therefore we must be content with the endless realms lore Ed is good enough to pour upon us all. My intent in raising this topic is only to affirm whether any of the old NDAs which have been in place have changed, not to instill my fellow sages with grief that they exist at all.

And so to get off NDAs for a moment I'd like to pass on my hypothetical reworking of Highmoon to THO and Ed to see if either have any thoughts about it...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've hit upon the idea of taking the little town of Highmoon and turning it into a city.

Since 2nd Ed. there have been numerous drastic changes in the region which would lead to many many refugees, largely as a result of the return of shade: the destruction of Tilverton, the dragon-rages, the war with the Shades/demons/Zhents, the destruction of Ordulin, the re-destruction of Myth Drannor, etc.

In my mind all these refugees need to find some place to go. Many of the people running from all of this destruction would come first to Highmoon. I'm thinking even if only about 1/4 to 1/3 decided to take shelter there that would be around 50,000 people. To accommodate these kinds of numbers the town would obviously become significantly larger.

Also it would have quickly become obvious that strong defense was needed, so walls would be built up at least. I'm also thinking a military develops out of the surviving fighters of the fallen locations, eventually including an aerial corps - griffons or pegasi perhaps - to counter veserab attacks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ed, Tho - Do you have any thoughts on this idea? Suggestions? Obvious holes in my thought process I'm missing :D?

As always thank you for your time and consideration!

TMM
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29723 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2014 :  16:03:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

Wotc have lawyers on staff so that takes care of most of your costs. Erm, unless you missed it, wotc is a creative fiction brand. Its what they do. They employ people to create. Who exactly would need to be contacted about nda secrecy being broken? Most nda's would have little or no impact on the setting as a whole. Ed already has tons of lore to go so why not give it the once over and ok it?
What does it give them? Happy fans, loyalty, thats what. Happy loyal fans are far more likely to spend money, so ultimately, itmakes the company a profit.
Who knows, new adventures and novels might be created through the release.

It doesn't matter that the lawyers are on staff. They still have to pay those lawyers for their time. Most people don't go to law school so they can work for free.

Who would they need to contact about NDAs? The people who signed them. If it's an NDA, someone has been told they cannot share information. It's pointless to lift an NDA and not tell the affected parties that the relevant information is no longer covered by the NDA.

Some NDAs would not impact the setting as a whole, that is correct. That does not mean that the NDAs do not impact current or future plans. If there is a novel or adventure focusing on the murder of Lord Arjent Nounsilver, then revealing who did it before anything is published is going to cause problems. That's why everyone involved in planning novels, adventures, and articles has to be involved in examining NDAs. And that's going to take time and effort -- which could be spent towards more financially productive ends.

As WOtC is the one planning and producing the material, I don't see how letting some information out would spur their own production. They already have the material -- how does sharing it more widely spur them to do something with it?

As for creating goodwill with the fans... Yes, releasing NDAs would generate goodwill from fans. But not from a large portion... If you're not interested in Cormyr or in the murder of Lord Arjent Nounsilver, then knowing who killed him isn't going to do anything for you... Even if you were praying to baby Cthulhu to find that out, the revelation of it will not put money into WotC's pocket.

Actually releasing a novel or module based on finding the murderer will get them money, though.

So they can have their creative team take time away from actually creating content to examine an NDA. Then they can have their lawyers take time putting their legal blessing on it. Then then can have their admins take time contacting people who signed the NDA. At least five or six people there, taking hours on the clock to share a blurb that does not immediately or even measurably make them money...

Or they don't spend that money on something that gets them nothing, and they instead use that time and effort to create new content which they sell to a larger audience for a direct, measurable, and longer-lasting return.

The choice that a for-profit company is going to make is obvious.

Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

530 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2014 :  17:06:13  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message
Or they can make (and sell) a "Secrets of the Realms" sourcebook (or series of sourcebooks) and finally get rid of many NDAs, because, let's face it, 90% of the things under NDA regard human or demihuman NPCs that were already dead by the timejump or were killed by the timejump or the various disasters that rocked Faerun and since they've only 4 authors writing novels right now i doubt getting to know more about a swashbuckler of the 1320s or a Cormyrean noble of the 1360s would spoil anything about the future 5E Realms (whereas things like Elminster's sons and daughters, Royal Lineages of still standing kingdoms [sigh], super powerful spells and NPCs with thousand years lifespans [Larloch, Halaster, random archmage n° 378615, any named dragon, ecc...] probably deserve to remain hidden from the general public for future plans' sake).

Anyway, a question for the Sage of the Greenwood: what can you say to us about the Pereghost? What's his dark past? Why was he referred to as a "fallen paladin" in Cloak & Dagger while he was just an enigmatic fighter before? Why did he turn CE after 1370 DR and how did he end up as a Divine Champion of Cyric?

See, i suspect i will be run over by an NDA now, an NDA over a human NPC that's been dead for near a century and i don't think any WotC employee could say with a straight face that they have plans to release "The Puberty of The Pereghost" in the near or distant future.

Edited by - Demzer on 06 Aug 2014 17:07:23
Go to Top of Page

Chronos
Acolyte

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2014 :  17:40:20  Show Profile Send Chronos a Private Message
Not being funny but I come onto this forum to see answers from Ed not for a discussion of NDA' s or corporate policy, rant over.

Question: what basic trail foods would readily be found in the Moonsea north region?

Edited by - Chronos on 06 Aug 2014 17:40:58
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5036 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2014 :  17:47:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Chronos, popular "prepared" foods (as opposed to foraging for wild game and plants) in the Moonsea North are sausages and "hardloaves" (small round buns, about the size of a large male human's palm), plus "belths" (singular: belth), which is basically a large pickle baked into a Cornish-pasty-style crust (all-around pastry jacket) to keep it from leaking or spoiling. As drinkable water (or in winter, snow) is plentiful, foods can be heavily salted to preserve them. Add to this dried, flattened fruit (figs, apricots, dates), and you have what a lot of wayfarers use for travel food. Source: Ed's campaign notes.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2014 :  18:14:53  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chronos

Not being funny but I come onto this forum to see answers from Ed not for a discussion of NDA' s or corporate policy, rant over.

Question: what basic trail foods would readily be found in the Moonsea north region?

Quite right. Apologies for leading the scroll astray.
Wooly and I can disagree and argue it out elsewhere lol
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2014 :  04:48:23  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
Folks, let's try to keep the side-chatter about NDAs down a little. If it directly pertains to something Ed's working on, then fair enough. But general NDA discussion should be shifted to another shelf... say, the General FR Discussion area.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2014 :  04:53:14  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all. Chronos, popular "prepared" foods (as opposed to foraging for wild game and plants) in the Moonsea North are sausages and "hardloaves" (small round buns, about the size of a large male human's palm), plus "belths" (singular: belth), which is basically a large pickle baked into a Cornish-pasty-style crust (all-around pastry jacket) to keep it from leaking or spoiling. As drinkable water (or in winter, snow) is plentiful, foods can be heavily salted to preserve them. Add to this dried, flattened fruit (figs, apricots, dates), and you have what a lot of wayfarers use for travel food. Source: Ed's campaign notes.
love,
THO

Speaking of pickles... sort of, my Lady Hooded One, I'm curious about whether Ed's ever detailed or mentioned Realms-specific fruits and/or vegetables that have been pickled for sale and/or consumption? Is the pickling process in the Realms similar to that of our world? Are pickled foodstuffs ever used as spell components in any particularly whimsical castings?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2014 :  14:22:30  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message
Pickled beholder eyes.....nom nom nom.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 34 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000