Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2014)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 34

CorellonsDevout
Master of Realmslore

USA
1792 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2014 :  04:14:49  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
I don't know if this has been asked, but I have heard rumors that after the Sundering books, there will be fewer FR novels released. Is this true? What is the future of the novels?

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1582 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2014 :  20:20:06  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message
Ye gods Devout, let's hope that isn't true. I suppose it would be okay to scale back the amount of novels A LITTLE, but they need to make money and the novel line is/was like a life raft for the setting.

I would like to see them allow independent (non-contractual) authors to submit novels that are more in-depth/complicated than your standard setting book. I would absolutely kill for a series of books on par with G.R.R. Martin or Stephen R. Donaldson set in the Realms.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Master of Realmslore

USA
1792 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2014 :  20:47:23  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
It's just a rumor I read on this site. I don't know how true it is. I hope they don't decrease it, either. I mainly read the novels, myself, so not having the literature would be a big disappointment

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4275 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2014 :  20:58:36  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
I am not sure this is the place to ask, WotC will published what and when they will. Ed can only answer for sure what books he has been asked to write or consult on, he has no idea when, for sure, they would be published.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29905 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2014 :  03:55:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

I am not sure this is the place to ask, WotC will published what and when they will. Ed can only answer for sure what books he has been asked to write or consult on, he has no idea when, for sure, they would be published.

And until any such books are announced, he would likely be under an NDA and not able to say anything about it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Master of Realmslore

USA
1792 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2014 :  04:09:35  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
Okay, well I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask ^^;

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2014 :  07:04:02  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
The great majority of Cormyr's monarchs are buried in the royal crypts, but at least one is buried in Marsember, and several have empty coffins in the crypts, because their bodies have never been found. I'm not aware of any "tussles over where a monarch 'should' be buried," but that's just me.
love,
THO

Thank you Good Lady for your response

Like the coffins in the crypts but no bodies in them - might have the PC's find a Royal skeleton and some how they have to get it into a coffin without getting caught.......

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31688 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2014 :  11:10:52  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Okay, well I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask ^^;

Not to worry, Correllons. You're simply curious.

And, as you know, we here at Candlekeep live to foster the collective curiosity of our resident scribes.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2014 :  05:35:39  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage  Send Daviot an AOL message Send Daviot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

And, as you know, we here at Candlekeep live to foster the collective curiosity of our resident scribes.

Yup. And all I have is curiosity and a stack of unread Realms novels...and other novels...and writing projects...and *grumble* work, while waiting to see what direction 'The Sundering' takes things.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
Want more adventure? Into the Dark (PF Beginner Box 2nd level) | The Red Leaves Enigma (3.x/PF 3rd/4th level) | In Iron Clad (TBD, 3.x/PF 14th lvl)
Want an 'Ecology of the Kitsune'? Races Revised: The Kitsune Clans
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Learned Scribe

84 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2014 :  08:59:25  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message
Dear THO and Ed, I would like to ask another question (they have been many as of late, but I like the Realms more and more): are monsters really commonplace and ordinary, as novels and adventures may lead one to think, or ordinary people do not come across them often and they retain a sense of mystery and unknown. I wonder if perhaps their being so ubiquitous in novels is due to the fact that novels show action and extraordinary events, while in fact in the 'true' Realms monsters are not known by most people. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5037 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2014 :  23:29:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
paladinnicolas, you have the right of it: novels and adventures inevitably focus on heroes or adventurers who come into far more contact with "monsters" than average citizens do.
Unless you use the wider definition of "monster" that really means "critter that tried to harm me" and might include swarms of normal rats, spiders, a harmless but frightening snake, and so on.
Caravans coming to a country hamlet or village will bring news of the latest sensational dragonslaying or undead rising to strange the living, or fearsome flying heads that have driven folk away from their homes, or the like. And bold or gruesome (or both) battles against monsters are a staple of tavern talk, after weather and politics and brewing war or coming shortages of ale.
So it may SEEM at times, even to folk in the Realms, that Faerun is teeming with countless monsters . . . but if you trim things back to just what beasts this old merchant or that old fishwife has actually seen, with their own eyes, in life: monsters are very rare in settled areas. In the wilderness, if you're frightened and the beasts you see are unfamiliar, of course, EVERYTHING becomes a monster.
Which is part of the reason they get gossiped about so much, and so many wild rumors grow around them in the process.
(The above viewpoint comes from playing in the Realms for years and listening to Ed talk about the Realms with "his" players, with interested gamers at conventions, and in seminars and panels.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Learned Scribe

84 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  06:18:13  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message
Thanks THO!
Go to Top of Page

Beppe63
Seeker

Italy
40 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  12:53:06  Show Profile  Visit Beppe63's Homepage Send Beppe63 a Private Message
Hi all,

I try again to send this question, because no one answered. If by chance the fact that no one has answered is why the question is trivial or useless, please let me know so I put my heart at peace! Thank you. ;)

Apart Dragon Purple patrols what type of encounter are normally possible along The High Road? I'm talking about regular encounters, not wandering monsters.
And possibly how often?

I ask this because the party is traveling from Greatgaunt to Eveningstar.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bye.

Beppe63
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  15:43:11  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Beppe, hang in there; I doubt THO will keep you waiting much longer.
One question I have that will affect your question, though: what season? Because in deepest winter, that stretch of road will be pretty much deserted except for patrols and military movements. You mean good weather end of spring,, summer, and early autumn, yes?
BB
Go to Top of Page

Beppe63
Seeker

Italy
40 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  20:00:55  Show Profile  Visit Beppe63's Homepage Send Beppe63 a Private Message
Thanks Blublade,

we are at begin of Kythorn.

Bye.

Beppe63
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2014 :  18:40:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
I've reviewed Ed's newest Realms novel, THE HERALD (sixth and last book of The Sundering), and interviewed him, too. Rather that clutter this Questions thread with queries that could get into spoiler territory rather quickly, I posted them in the Novels forum. Jaunt on over there if you'd like a peek; avoid if you'd rather not.
MILD spoilers, I promise, not blow-by-blow "everything" accounts.
love to all!
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1582 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  13:19:26  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message
You're killing me Lady THO, you really are. I've avoided even the first chapter release so as to fully enjoy that book from the first to the last page next month. And now you tempt me...you need proper punishment temptress!

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13455 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  16:17:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I'm glad I read it, even though there was indeed one spoiler I wish I hadn't (or, rather, an allusion to something which is a big spoiler, but unfortunately fairly simple to figure-out). Still, it makes me want to read this book even more.

*** WARNING: Spoilers in my question! ***

Question: After reading the review by THO, what would you think is the relationship between your 'Weave Anchors' and the 'Weave Taps' created by Paul Kemp for his novels? Related 'magi-tech'? 'False' anchors, perhaps?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 May 2014 16:18:28
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  17:55:36  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Markustay, I'd say...
x
x
(SPOILERS in my answer, too!
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
... that they are related magi-tech. The taps are a way of releasing a lot of Weave energy (like, yes, turning on a tap so water flows), and the anchors are magical bindings that secure the Weave to Toril, in thousands upon thousands of specific spots, tiny local nodes that tack it down, like nails securing an intricate piece of string-weaving to a board. One of the duties of El and other Chosen is to maintain Weave anchors, and in the wake of the Spellplague's destruction and great tears in the Weave and other weakenings of it (some of them deliberate, on the orders of the Most High, to make it easier to drain Weave power), this duty changes from "boring maintenance" to "crucial and thanks to Shadovar attacks, all too 'not boring' maintenance." :}
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  18:11:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Beppe63, Ed saith:

The High Road is used by woodcutters/foresters and their carts, herb- and mushroom-gatherers (in groups in the vicinity you're interested in, thanks to the relative peril of the area), peddlers (usually with a single wagon drawn by mules, or a "pack train" of three mules or less), and most often by caravans (three to forty wagons, but usually 12-15 wagons) with outriders (armed riders on horseback) who serve as guards and scouts, before and behind. After caravans, Purple Dragon road-patrols (a dozen strong: ten mounted soldiers, with an officer and a low-level War Wizard - - unless "trouble is expected," whereupon the patrols get larger, with priests and a second War Wizard added to twenty-one Purple Dragons) are most frequently encountered. Hope this is of help!

So saith Ed. Who always comes through eventually...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  18:12:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And to The Arcanamach:
GO ahead. Punish me. Please. I deserve it.
And you know I'm going to tease and tempt you again . . .

I'm waiting...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Beppe63
Seeker

Italy
40 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  18:34:39  Show Profile  Visit Beppe63's Homepage Send Beppe63 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Beppe63, Ed saith:

So saith Ed. Who always comes through eventually...
love,
THO

Thanks a lot to you THO and to Ed. :)

Bye.

Beppe63
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5037 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  18:37:28  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
You're very welcome. Ed and I both love to talk about the Realms, and help everyone enjoy the Realms more.
(Ed tells me he's hard at work on more Realmslore right now, and of course THE HERALD is coming out soon...)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2014 :  21:57:31  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message
Quick question, and I believe my first, for Ed:

Given that the Talis Deck originated in DragonLance and then later made an appearance in the Realms, I was wondering if there was any sort of history of the Talis Deck in the Realms. Specifically are there any ties to the Talfir city of Talis and the Talis Deck (or for that matter the term talisman)?

I've got some ideas, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel...

I've already posed this question to Eric Boyd (many, many, many) months ago and have yet to get a reply.

Kind Regards,
[KSU] Bond
Go to Top of Page

Infamous
Seeker

42 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2014 :  04:15:55  Show Profile Send Infamous a Private Message
I was surprised at first when I heard Ed say (at an interview) that Elminster wanted to die. But then I was puzzled. Why, oh why, would he want to die? What is it that he will be able to do then that is out of reach now? Lingering at will in Mystra's realm? Check. Being free from material form? Check. Staying away from the Prime Material Plane and the same plights of human nature replayed over and over? Check. He can do it all now if he wants to, why would death change a thing?

A desire for non-existence I would understand. But death according to Realm's mechanics? I dunno.

So, dearest and most wise Ed, why does El want to die?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 34 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000