Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 monsters to kill spellcasters
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2013 :  06:29:03  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
hi all.

i am looking for monsters or Monster combos to really wie Theo floor with spellcasters.

mages
priests
warlocks
demons

These Art The Types of casters i want to fry.

thanks for all Input.

Level of casters is 15 so wider choice of beasts up to cr 15

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2013 :  10:46:43  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nishruus, Disenchanters and golems come immediately to mind but there are many others.

Nishruus absorb the vast majority of magic they come into contact with; disenchanters eat magic items; and golems are immune to any spell that allows Spell Resistance.

I don't have my thinking cap on at the moment so that's all you're getting from for now.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2013 :  12:12:31  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hakaeshar (which I think are now considered nishruu) and magebanes (kind of like bats). Also the laraken found in Halruaa before it was nuked.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2013 :  13:09:46  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thx for the replies.

My initial thought was beholders using their anti magic eye supported by ogres then beating the low ac spellcasters to pieces.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrel
Learned Scribe

151 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2013 :  13:55:54  Show Profile  Visit Kyrel's Homepage Send Kyrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phaerim, as I recall, should also be rather nasty customers for mages to deal with. But my memory could be off.
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2013 :  14:31:48  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrel

Phaerim, as I recall, should also be rather nasty customers for mages to deal with. But my memory could be off.

In 3e game terms Phaerimm aren't the nasty threat they should be based on their deeds and how they are/were portrayed. They don't even have the boosted SR of Rakshasas or absorb/are immune to magic, they'r just icecream cones with tooths and four arms that cast spells as sorcerers (and with some racial nasty spells).

This is something that bugged me to no end, having this supposedly hyper nasty threat be just like any NPC sorcerer but floating and with four arms.
And the thing that enraged me the most is that this leaves unexplained how the heck this things succeded in slaughtering and enslaving an entire city of thousands of beholders (you know, the monsters that get born with an antimagic eye ...).

I think i'm missing something here so please, anyone with phaerimm knowledge point me to the truth.

On topic: if the goal here is outright killing casters then same level rogues/assassins that get them while they sleep should do or, if you want to make it last longer, grappling monsters under 3e rules.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2013 :  14:44:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Phaerimm were scarier in 2E, when they could get to 40th level as wizards!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2013 :  14:50:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakuta Khan

Thx for the replies.

My initial thought was beholders using their anti magic eye supported by ogres then beating the low ac spellcasters to pieces.

This is a good idea.

Things that can shrug off most magic, like golems, would work, too.

There is also the possibility of a battlefield prepared by the enemy. Even a troupe of lowly kobolds could challenge a wizard, if they were in some sort of underground warren, had multiple scattered hidey-holes providing hard cover, and were using ranged weapons to keep sniping. Put them in a large cavern, for example, using holes in the walls -- they could be firing at the wizard from all angles. Sure the wizard could fire back, but their holes would provide cover, and even the largest area effect spells would only catch a few -- the rest could scatter to other holes. And so on.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000