Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Telthors & Pact Magic
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2013 :  12:33:41  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In discussing the spirits in the early realms (and reading the beginnings of "Secrets of Pact Magic"), I started thinking about telthors (immortal fey spirits) being bound in a way that vestiges are. Of course, telthors can be killed a lot easier than a vestige can, so they'd have to fairly constantly learn new seals (though learning the seal of 2 different ghostly deer telthors might be exceptionally similar). I then started thinking "what if there's a forbidden wychlaran sect that still practices pact magic?".

So, my first thoughts were to design a prestige class around the idea. However, for once, I'm thinking lets get input from others. I'm picturing a group that starts out working mainly with telthors, but then they turn dark and begin experimenting with the vestiges. I'm picturing it being a theurge type of class. I'm picturing it being +1 binder lvl for 8 of 10 lvls and +1 existing spellcasting class for 8 of 10 levels. Thus, it would allow for advancement of either divine or arcane spellcasting along with study of binding. What would make some good requirements? What would make some good class abilities to separate it from the anima mage?

Spamming ideas below for requirements
Favored Deity: Chauntea (Bhalla), Mielikki (aka Khelliara), Mystra (the Hidden One), Loviatar, Akadi, Grumbar, Istishia, Deneir, Azuth, Lurue, Nobanion, Cegilune

Region: Rashemen
Skill: Knowledge (Rashemen local) 4, Knowledge (nature) 4, Knowledge (arcana) 4
Feats: bind telthor (new feat), Expel Vestige (note also allows expel telthor)
Spells: able to cast 2nd lvl divine or arcane spells
Special: ability to bind a 2nd lvl vestige or telthor

NOTE: I'm specifically leaving out the gender requirements, as I'm kind of seeing there being a sect of wychlaran that are accepting of males, going so far as to recruit vremyonni (possibly faking the vremyonni's death). This would be another reason that this would be a "heretical" sect of wychlaran. Also, the fact that some followers of this path turn dark and begin worshipping powers such as the elemental lords or even worse, Loviatar or Cegilune, puts a split even within this group.

These wychlaran I see as definitely forming "covens", some of which may even include hags. They would divide up along alignment divisions for the most part, but even with this, the various covens probably still maintain some communication. The other wychlaran probably see their abusing of the telthors as extreme sacrilege. This group of wychlaran may have relations with the Durthans as well, though the Durthan's willingness to use telthors as fodder could also strain this relationship.

Some class abilities that come to mind

bind telthor
Speak with animals
Speak with plants
Powerful will (extra roll on saves v/s enchantment)
Spirit's Concentration (a bound vestige/telthor can maintain concentration - see spirit shaman's "Guide Magic" ability)

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2013 :  13:10:06  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What if its not forbidden merely very secret. Im pretty sure the witches have used all manner of nature spirits to defend rashemen.
In the spellbound book is an adventure where the Woodman makes an appearance. He is said to only appear whenever rashemen is in terrible danger, maybe thats because the high witches know how to bind him and summon him.
Maybe some of the circle magic we see the witches use is really pact magic

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2013 :  15:26:12  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The reason I would have it be forbidden is that binding can actually change a person's moral outlook and actions based on the being possessing them. The wychlaran wouldn't favor this.

One other idea popped in my mind for this sect. What if they learn to make pacts, but they also learn to bind the spiritual energy of beasts into their Chakras. Essentially, I don't think there's a prestige class that combines the totemist (from magic of incarnum) and the binder (from Tome of Magic). This even fits pretty well since totemists are known for using masks. Some of them may turn "dark" as they learn to bind dark vestiges. The two groups essentially study very similar things (working with spiritual/soul energy), though the totemists typically come from much more barbaric cultures. However, the wychlaran culture is one that is both sophisticated and feral at the same time.... I can see this mix happening.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2013 :  16:44:18  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well as with most organisations, something forbidden to the lower ranks and laity does not mean those that make the rules and know how to use it safely are forbidden.
Unfortunately I havent read the crunch for tome of magic only the fluffluff, but certain abilities should mirror traits and abilities of the creature for the pact however weaker telthors may only be able to grant abilities up to a certain level, level 5 for instance

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page