Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 SPOILERS! The Last Threshold Questions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  19:13:05  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So did drizzt die in 1484 after sleeping eighteen years in the forest? I was truly shocked when this happened, all cause of that stupid Dahlia!

So , is the end of drizzt, on bruenor's climb, besides guen?

“Change is not always growth, but growth is often rooted in change.
Drizzt Do'Urden”

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  19:26:10  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khanio07

So did drizzt die in 1484 after sleeping eighteen years in the forest? I was truly shocked when this happened, all cause of that stupid Dahlia!

So , is the end of drizzt, on bruenor's climb, besides guen?

He did not die. He was mortally wounded, though, and Guen helps him to the top of Kelvin's Cairn. But the book ends before he dies.

So the book ends with him dying, but not yet dead. Another way to think of this: Drizzt is in need of immediate aid or he will die.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  20:11:10  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*nods*

Read the next book my friend.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  20:25:55  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, it's not Dahlia's fault he didn't fight back.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  21:06:12  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

Good point. Most RAS fans are so insistent on hating Dahlia that they missed a key point. Dahlia is very clear that she chose Drizzt as a lover because she thought he could defeat her. Like many people who are suicidal in real life, she doesn't want to live anymore, but can't bring herself to take her own life.

She didn't want to kill Drizzt. She wanted to goad Drizzt into killing her. In that respect, she would have done much better picking a fight with Artemis. He doesn't need much goading to kill anybody.
Go to Top of Page

jerrod
Learned Scribe

157 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  21:21:14  Show Profile Send jerrod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agre with Lillian .entreri would've been a better choice.

I haven't been here in years but I used to be DARKFLAME MILLITHOR(DROW ARCHMAGE of wildmagic
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  22:13:07  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RAS will never kill off Drizzt, he lines his pockets with gold. :)

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  22:29:31  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now , is the sundering series prior to the never winter events?
Is there going to be a series to explain what happened at the end of the last threshold and continue drizzle story.

Also, was it cattle brie that catches driest as he is falling or is it someone else?
Who summoned guen?

What do you guys think about entreri now, his alignment is more chaotic good now , like jarlaxle. Personally, i don't think it fits entreri too well cause his personality now is so unlike the one we grew up with What say you all?

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  22:34:26  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

quote:

Good point. Most RAS fans are so insistent on hating Dahlia that they missed a key point.

But it is her fault that she picked that fight with him in the first place, and that she struck him so hard. Don't blame the victim, here.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  22:37:59  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:

quote:

Good point. Most RAS fans are so insistent on hating Dahlia that they missed a key point.

But it is her fault that she picked that fight with him in the first place, and that she struck him so hard. Don't blame the victim, here.

Dahlia did piss me off. She will never be respected by me. Cattle Brie and innovindil are the only two females in drizzts life that I care about

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  22:44:51  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is there going to be a series to explain what happened at the end of the last threshold and continue drizzle story.

RAS's The Companions follows the Neverwinter books. It continues the story. You can get it now, it's out.

Also, The Companions is the first book in the Sundering series.

quote:
Also, was it cattle brie that catches driest as he is falling or is it someone else?

Do you want spoilers from The Companions?

I will say, at the end of the book where Drizzt lays dying with a head wound, atop Kelvin's Cairn, Drizzt believes that he sees Catti-Brie's spirit. If you want to know more, I'll tell you. But it will spoil the next book, I think.

quote:
Who summoned guen?

I thought Drizzt did? I could be mistaken, though.

quote:
What do you guys think about entreri now, his alignment is more chaotic good now , like jarlaxle. Personally, i don't think it fits entreri too well cause his personality now is so unlike the one we grew up with What say you all?

I'd say he's acting nicer, but he's probably chaotic neutral. Above all, Entreri is very pragmatic.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!

Edited by - Therise on 06 Dec 2013 22:52:20
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2013 :  23:47:56  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
me thinks that Dahlia is a chosen of Lolth..... I also think she is no surface elf, but an Albino Drow.( she is in need of that flute from Jarlaxle)

think about it, she thrusts a blade into each lover's heart. Isn't that the spider's Kiss?????

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  10:13:46  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Who summoned guen?

Jarlaxle's alignment is not chaotic good. His last, officially given alignment was simply "Evil"(4e system merged Lawful and Neutral evil into just evil), and I'm of the opinion that neutral evil suits him just fine.

And Enteri isn't chaotic anything. At best, he's a darker shade of lawful neutral, but I'm more inclined to label him a lighter shade of lawful evil.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  12:50:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

RAS will never kill off Drizzt, he lines his pockets with gold.

Thats kind of an unfair statement - I think it has much more to do with WotC then it does with RAS.

If anything, Drizzt is the Albatross that hangs around Bob's neck.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Dec 2013 12:51:36
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  17:43:15  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone purchased the Sundering audio book? If so , how was the recitation?

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  17:47:48  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It even says SPOILER, and I still read everything. -_- My curiosity..

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  19:38:41  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alruane

It even says SPOILER, and I still read everything. -_- My curiosity..

Sorry , perhaps my Spoilers wasn't prominent enough

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  20:51:23  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dahlia did piss me off. She will never be respected by me. Cattle Brie and innovindil are the only two females in drizzts life that I care about

Same here. Wish Innovindil wouldn't have met an untimely death. She would have been a much better companion through the series than that dreadful Dahlia.

Dahlia's story, IMO, would have worked better had her and Artemis were more romantically linked than her and Drizzt. She would have gotten her wish LONG ago by just looking at him wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  21:41:14  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I remember, Drizzt does not remember calling Guen, but she is there. There are a lot of interesting pieces to that scene. :D
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  21:42:43  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

think about it, she thrusts a blade into each lover's heart. Isn't that the spider's Kiss?????

Well, it's a staff--not a blade. Maybe there's such a thing as a Spider's Thump?

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  21:52:33  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Jarlaxle's alignment is not chaotic good. His last, officially given alignment was simply "Evil"(4e system merged Lawful and Neutral evil into just evil), and I'm of the opinion that neutral evil suits him just fine.

But he doesn't seem to want to make anyone suffer, or to be indifferent to suffering caused by his actions, anymore. He seems to care about other people's feelings. That sounds good to me. Chaotic good fits him in the novels.

quote:
And Enteri isn't chaotic anything. At best, he's a darker shade of lawful neutral, but I'm more inclined to label him a lighter shade of lawful evil.

Entreri doesn't seem to me to want to cause suffering, either. And I hardly consider him lawful. He doesn't fit in well with human, drow, or Drizztian social structures. Entreri just wants to be free to call his own shots. Chaotic neutral?

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  22:03:50  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But he doesn't seem to want to make anyone suffer, or to be indifferent to suffering caused by his actions, anymore. He seems to care about other people's feelings. That sounds good to me. Chaotic good fits him in the novels.

Entreri doesn't seem to me to want to cause suffering, either. And I hardly consider him lawful. He doesn't fit in well with human, drow, or Drizztian social structures. Entreri just wants to be free to call his own shots. Chaotic neutral?

Definitely chaotic neutral. Entreri is not lawful, no way no how. He may have his own personal code, but that doesn't equate to following or working to uphold the laws of the land or even the rules of an organization as someone lawful evil might.

Also, he's not "good" - there's no way that he would do something like risk himself to save another person's life if they were not useful to him. He's pragmatic, and perhaps no longer evil in a classic sense. But he can't possibly be acquitted as a good person either. So I agree: chaotic neutral.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  22:40:36  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well, it's a staff--not a blade. Maybe there's such a thing as a Spider's Thump?

ummm no, she does it in bed, and kills them with a dagger to the heart, why would she carry a staff into her bed, it just raises to many red flags, thus as I asked is that the spider's kiss

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  23:53:04  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

ummm no, she does it in bed, and kills them with a dagger to the heart, why would she carry a staff into her bed, it just raises to many red flags, thus as I asked is that the spider's kiss

Interesting. Do you have a source?

In Gauntlgrym, Dahlia killed both of her lovers, Themerelis the barbarian (P1:C1), and Borlann the Crow (P1:C5), using her staff, Kozah's Needle. There is even an implication that she was in the process of bedding Borlann when he met his end, and yet she did not seem to have any difficulty deploying her weapon and sending him on his way with the brilliant telltale flash of lightning that is so characteristic of that staff.

To boot, it is my understanding that it was also Kozah's Needle that she used to crack one certain drow ranger lover of hers over the head and nearly send him to his demise, as well (The Last Threshold).

Where do you get the idea that she uses a dagger? I wasn't under the impression that she even carries a dagger, from the books.

It would make sense, logically, that she could. I just don't see any evidence of it.

Recall that Gauntlgrym also told us that Dahlia does not murder her lovers, but rather challenges them to a fair fight (P1:C5). She would not want to rely on an assassin's secrecy to get the drop on a lover. She would prefer to take him on, head on.

As far as the supposed difficulty in getting the staff into bed with her, remember that it can be broken down into a pair of flails. Two two-foot bundles would be much easier to smuggle into or alongside her bed than the eight-foot-long staff.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2013 :  00:56:51  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

me thinks that Dahlia is a chosen of Lolth..... I also think she is no surface elf, but an Albino Drow.( she is in need of that flute from Jarlaxle)

The latest issue of Dragon has direct references to Lady Lolth attempting to turn Drizzt to the darkness with those characters. Very interesting read!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2013 :  05:40:59  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oooooooo I wish I had that article..... but no matter....

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2013 :  05:49:46  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

In Gauntlgrym, Dahlia killed both of her lovers, Themerelis the barbarian (P1:C1), and Borlann the Crow (P1:C5), using her staff, Kozah's Needle. There is even an implication that she was in the process of bedding Borlann when he met his end, and yet she did not seem to have any difficulty deploying her weapon and sending him on his way with the brilliant telltale flash of lightning that is so characteristic of that staff.

To boot, it is my understanding that it was also Kozah's Needle that she used to crack one certain drow ranger lover of hers over the head and nearly send him to his demise, as well (The Last Threshold).

Where do you get the idea that she uses a dagger? I wasn't under the impression that she even carries a dagger, from the books.

It would make sense, logically, that she could. I just don't see any evidence of it.

Recall that Gauntlgrym also told us that Dahlia does not murder her lovers, but rather challenges them to a fair fight (P1:C5). She would not want to rely on an assassin's secrecy to get the drop on a lover. She would prefer to take him on, head on.

As far as the supposed difficulty in getting the staff into bed with her, remember that it can be broken down into a pair of flails. Two two-foot bundles would be much easier to smuggle into or alongside her bed than the eight-foot-long staff.

It was my impression that it she killed them in their sleep. if so,well that might be my bad, as I found the whole neverwinter series depressing. Also that's what she said and the first rule of spys is: Don't trust the women.... in otherwords it is also quite possible that she lied and attempting to look honorable when she is not as you said and I remember very well that she challenged him and Drizzt refused. And thus as I said She's Albino Drow and no surface elf.

and that staff/flail/walkingstick if it was her only weapon at her disposal, they she would be a fool not to carry a back up weapon.

however, its still a stab in the heart no matter the weapon. one would wonder how many of her lovers actually care

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2013 :  05:52:37  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd edit it, but whats the point, I'm going to go look for something and I'll ask my question here, how many ear rings did she have in her ears? the left one was for the lovers she killed right? So if there is more than just those two, than you see it could be possible she has a dagger..... well I couldn't find out on the web on how many she had, I sold those books a while back too so looking there isnt an option

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit

Edited by - sfdragon on 08 Dec 2013 06:09:46
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2013 :  06:47:12  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd edit it, but whats the point, I'm going to go look for something and I'll ask my question here, how many ear rings did she have in her ears? the left one was for the lovers she killed right? So if there is more than just those two, than you see it could be possible she has a dagger..... well I couldn't find out on the web on how many she had, I sold those books a while back too so looking there isnt an option

According to the back cover of Gauntlgrym, it says...

"I am Dahlia Sin'felle, and I wear seven diamonds in my left ear, one for each of the lovers I have murdered, and two more small sparkling studs in my right ear for the lovers I have yet to kill. I serve Thay...for now."
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2013 :  18:49:32  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you charger.

it's still possible she killed them in their sleep/////

Sin'felle.... doesn't even sound like an elf name...

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2013 :  19:46:43  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

However, the back of the books says she "murdered" her lovers. Yet, I know she battles to the death with those two, which isn't exactly murdering them. Would you consider this an editing oversight?

BTW, wasn't Dor'crea a brief lover as well? I don't remember exactly, but I thought when he died in the battle of Gauntlgrym, I vaguely remember her moving a stud from her right ear, to her left, leaving one in her right, which is Drizzt?

Edited by - charger_ss24 on 08 Dec 2013 19:52:22
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000