Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Good resources on Illefarn
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2013 :  14:50:03  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Can anyone recommend good resources for lore on Illfern? I am trying to craft a few side adventures to go with the Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle module. I am looking for information on the elven nation or the Dwarven mountain city/fortress. I have already found the section in Lost Empires of Faerun. Also, I am looking for any sources that go over the history of Daggerford and its surrounding lands.

Mod edit: Corrected spelling in Subject line, to facilitate future searches for information.

Tarlyn Embersun

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 01 Dec 2013 15:15:22

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2013 :  14:59:27  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lost Empires of Faerūn, p. 137

Lost Empires of Faerūn, p. 52.

Illefarn was an elven city-state that was founded during the First Flowering in -22900 DR, survived the Crown Wars, grew into an expansive nation and later fragmented into smaller realms.
Illefarn as a nation at its height, stretched along the Sword Coast, from just south of the settlement of Illusk, itself not far south of the Spine of the World, to the River Delimbiyr. Its capital was Aelinthaldaar which was built in the shadow of Mount Waterdeep.

Not much else I can provide.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2013 :  15:01:52  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try also:
The Grand History of the Realms by Ed Greenwood and Brian R. James

Pages 10 and 12 maybe?

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2013 :  15:17:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also an old module, N5 Under Illefarn. I've not read that one myself, though, so I can't attest to its lore.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2013 :  16:33:22  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick replies. It looks like the Mount Illefarn was part of the kingdom of Phalorm page 144 in Lost Empires of Faerun.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2013 :  16:47:40  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There's also an old module, N5 Under Illefarn. I've not read that one myself, though, so I can't attest to its lore.

I'm lucky enough to have this module and it is one of my favorites. Lots of good lore and not your run of the mill adventures. One of my players had a long standing feud running with Baron Agwain... ahhh memories.

Some of Under Illefarn is reproduced in The North (Guide to the Savage Frontier) 2e boxed set.

Edited by - Farrel on 01 Dec 2013 16:49:54
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2013 :  16:51:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't totally read through it, but I know Phasai did pretty good work on some of the other elven realms. You can download the PDF of his work on Ilefarn here.

http://phasai.deviantart.com/art/Illefarn-of-the-Lost-Voices-140974708

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2013 :  22:05:42  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Under Illefarn" is a good start for beginner players and DM. It details (with precisions) a small setting, few little adventures then a great one, in the dungeons of Illefarn.
"The North" box set contains references.
You may want to check "Hordes of Dragonspear Castle", who use the same lore than "Under Illefarn" but with a lot of editing. Reading it is more useful to complete local lore than for the adventure contains therein.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2013 :  03:55:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have "Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle" so I'm not sure what's in it, but I know that it is based on some work Eric Boyd recently did on the area/region - basically a huge revamp of the old N5 "Under Illefarn" adventure.

As for lore on Illefarn, I'll be facetious and ask "which one?". There's the ancient elven empire, the union of the dwarves of Dardath and the elves of Ardeep in c. 200 DR (that morphed into Phalorm) or the ill-fated and fleeting "Illefarn" refounded by refugee moon elves from Eaerlann in the environs of the Ardeep Forest when their realm fell to the fiends of Hellgate Keep (c.882 DR). The elves of Ardeep are probably a better source of lore and adventure hooks than Illefarn.

If I get a chance tonight I'll post the stuff I came up with on my thread re the lineages of the region (rulers etc.) as well as a bit of backstory. I didn't give the material to WotC and it came out of my noggin', so I'll be daring and post it for the enjoyment of others.

You can also look at Eric's thread in the Chamber of Sages from about p.33, where can see some of the stuff he came up with.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2013 :  05:49:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I don't have "Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle" so I'm not sure what's in it, but I know that it is based on some work Eric Boyd recently did on the area/region - basically a huge revamp of the old N5 "Under Illefarn" adventure.

I'm reading that one right now... I'm not far into it, so I haven't really seen anything Illefarn-related -- but the adventure has already impressed me more than the 4E material did. Sure, it's got issues, but I'd rather have a goofy name that can be changed than try to explain something like the poorly implemented changes to the Sea of Fallen Stars.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2013 :  00:33:16  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@George Krashos
Thanks for the info. As for your facetious question my answer is: any of them that effects Daggerford and the surrounding area and for that matter any other ancient kingdoms that have ruins near there . Why limit my adventurers to finding out lore about only one lost ancient kingdom.

Tarlyn Embersun

Edited by - Tarlyn on 03 Dec 2013 00:34:19
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2013 :  09:44:47  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also center my adventures in Daggerford, although I play in anachrony in 1368 DR. I've used Under Illefarn, Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast and VG to the North, Savage Frontier and The North: Guide to the Savage Frontier. For Phalorm's Illefarn, the first book is the best, although I do use some info from The Grand History of the Realms. This book also brings some lore about the older Illefarn, whose capital stood where Waterdeep now lays. Lost Empires of Faerūn also brings some info, especially on Ardeep forest and the Floshin elven clan. In all of these books, look for "Illefarn" and for "Ardeep".

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2013 :  13:22:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of the info in the various products conflict (like the maps of Daggerford itself). Also, some of the stuff from the original Under Illefarn module didn't make a lot of sense, or simply dead-ended.

I hope that Under Illefarn Anew is someday released, even if its a pdf-only release (its 3e), because it revisits the original lore and adventure, fixes the broken bits and makes sense of everything else, and its just a DAMN GREAT FR PRODUCT over-all. All the history gets neatly woven together. If they release it - even as-is without art - I can guarantee anyone who is a fan of the Realms would pay dearly for it. It would be a crying shame if that just sat unpublished forever (and makes me wonder just how much other 'wonderful lore' they are just sitting on, that I am not privy to).

I just don't get them sometimes - it is a complete product, ready-to-go, and all they'd have to do is put it somewhere for sale and rake-in the coin (and split it with Eric). The only thing I can figure-out is that they want to use it for 5e, and I'm afraid of what that might mean for the original (cutting-room floor, meet 'best bits'). {sigh}

It would also mean it would be less useful to the 3e crowd - and considering the market-share of PF right now, its kind of stupid not to cater to those folks. In fact, imagine if they hired a Pathfinder-savvy guy to PF-it-up (make it 100% compatible) - you'd get an instant success (because those PF people buy everything in sight), and you have the PF/Golarion crowd now taking a serious look at FR going into 5e. How can that be anything but a plus?

Moving forward, all FR products should be multi-platform compatible - why put all your eggs in one basket? There's a ready-made fanbase (read: CONSUMERS) ready to be harnessed. Not really seeing this happen, but it would be a great thing. The reason why 3e was so successful (and continues to be, after 4e is dead & buried) is because of the open source - they need to get back to that. Propriety doesn't really work in this day-and-age.

And Under Illefarn Anew could open that door....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Dec 2013 13:25:09
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2013 :  07:34:06  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Under Illefarn Anew could also be a series for the WotC website as both Dungeon and Dragon will shortly be going into hibernation so the already-lacking-for-content-website is going to be lacking a whole lot more content than before! It would be a shame just to simply sit on what must be, based on the excepts in Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle and Eric's own thread here, a really solid product.

And, as Markustay points out, the success of Golarion's support products shows that there is a market for lore.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2013 :  13:25:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, my point was that 3e (and therefor PF) compatible products still have a huge fanbase, and that's the edition UIA is designed for. The lore itself has its fans as well, but Paizo fans are the type of fan 4e was trying to create (and did, ironically, but not at all how they would have liked) - they aren't at all slaves to that lore. Its more along the lines of "this is how us official types see things going down - YMMV".

They love their lore, but they use it to base their own stuff on, rather then just adhere to it like its some sort of bible that can't be veered from.

Anyhow, I would prefer it in its original form, as one solid product, because of its nature you are likely to do a lot of cross-referencing, and that's a pain-in-the-butt if it were split into a series of articles. On the other hand, we could have both. After its run its course, they can then sell a compiled version (with 'added features'). Whatever they do with it, I am looking forward to seeing it in some form.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2013 :  15:09:35  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're looking for ancient realms related to Daggerford, look no further than Steeping Falls. Twas an ancient barony taken over by a shoon outlaw vampire who built a castle right where Daggerford stands today. That vampire was still around in 1374 DR living in Water deep after he just let his realm fall into ruin (see Vampires of Waterdeep module trilogy, Dungeon Magazine #126-128).

Not an awful lot of lore published on the place. You might ask Eric as Steeping Falls was another one of his babies.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2013 :  17:02:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

If you're looking for ancient realms related to Daggerford, look no further than Steeping Falls. Twas an ancient barony taken over by a shoon outlaw vampire who built a castle right where Daggerford stands today. That vampire was still around in 1374 DR living in Water deep after he just let his realm fall into ruin (see Vampires of Waterdeep module trilogy, Dungeon Magazine #126-128).

Not an awful lot of lore published on the place. You might ask Eric as Steeping Falls was another one of his babies.

Actually one of Ed's babies, first mentioned in Ed's "Athalantar" article in Dragon #228. All we had was that info when we started doing our Phalorm work, and I'll let you know a little secret: I gave him his name and decided that he was an outlaw from the lands of the Shoon. Dark Eric Boyd is the guy who decided to make him a vampire.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2013 :  19:13:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The number of Forgotten Realms - both great and small - in The North (and Backlands) is beyond counting. As Krash just pointed out, quite few of them are hinted at in Ed's Athalantar article, and I have found around a dozen coastal realms that have now 'vanished beneath the waves' all along the Swordcoast (and a fair number of them came from PftM and PotF). The North (and surrounding regions) were just like The Border Kingdoms, until recently (last thousand years or so). And thats not even counting all the humanoid nations that have come and gone.

I once commented that "you can't walk 10 feet in The Realms without tripping over some ruins", and Ed (via THO) responded, "Exactly!" Everything is built upon the 'bones' of some earlier culture, which itself was built on top of something else, ad infinitum.

Perhaps the 'roof' of the Underdark is the very bottom layer.

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  21:03:50  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

Under Illefarn Anew could also be a series for the WotC website as both Dungeon and Dragon will shortly be going into hibernation so the already-lacking-for-content-website is going to be lacking a whole lot more content than before! It would be a shame just to simply sit on what must be, based on the excepts in Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle and Eric's own thread here, a really solid product.

And, as Markustay points out, the success of Golarion's support products shows that there is a market for lore.

Under Illefarn Anew is 99% done. I should have done in 1-2 weeks. Then I'll figure out how to get it out there.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2014 :  23:24:04  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric has crafted an awesome start-up adventure here - let's hope it can get out there in some shape, way or form.

Fingers crossed.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  01:33:30  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Totally stoked. :)
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  02:46:49  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh, that's intriguing. I really like the original as an intro adventure and location so am very much interested in this other.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  05:52:09  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daggerford is one of my favorite locations in the Realms. A smallish place with great detail and lore supporting it and yet open enough for DMs to easily do anything they want without disrupting canon if they don't want to.

GK: Any chance we can get a post on that lore you drummed up?

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  06:15:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach
GK: Any chance we can get a post on that lore you drummed up?

For Under Illefarn anew?

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  10:35:51  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is getting me very excited. I copied every single post from Eric Boyd's section on candlekeep in the hopes of getting a complete rework of the Under Illefarn adventure.

I hope it gets released and i can get my grubby, obsessive-compulsive, collecting paws on it.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2014 :  14:27:56  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GK: I'm referring to your post from back in December. Just wondering if that bit of work you never submitted to WotC (or was it TSR at the time?) is still available. I'm a shameless thief of other people's work.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  09:17:42  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

Under Illefarn Anew is 99% done. I should have done in 1-2 weeks. Then I'll figure out how to get it out there.

That's tremendous news, Eric, and I really look forward to seeing what you have.

I've already collated all your posts in preparation for an eventual campaign set between Daggerford and Dragonspear and, frankly, your posts are what made me consider giving that region another look. Mike Schley's outstanding map was the clincher.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2014 :  13:02:05  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

GK: I'm referring to your post from back in December. Just wondering if that bit of work you never submitted to WotC (or was it TSR at the time?) is still available. I'm a shameless thief of other people's work.

I ended up posting most of that in my thread in the Chamber of Sages. Eric has the cleaned up, error free version though!

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Ren o the Research
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2014 :  00:23:15  Show Profile  Visit Ren o the Research's Homepage Send Ren o the Research a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given the runaway success of 5e, I'd be very surprised if WotC devoted any resources to publications specifically intended for 3e or 3.5e.

Hi there. I'm Ren, 30th level Ace Researcher. Here to separate the canon wheat from the non-canon chaff.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2014 :  14:22:14  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

I'm very excited to hear this. I will fit it into my campaign. Many of our players like to use Daggerford as their origin. I could do a prequel for my group, or an origin story. YAY!

I'm one of those Pathfinder geeks that buys up anything and everything Forgotten Realms that is even possibly compatible with PF.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2014 :  04:30:20  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Under Illefarn Anew is finally finished, thanks to the help of several folks on these boards.

Now to figure out how to get it out there. Won't be too much longer, I hope.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000