Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Advesary, review spoilers.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  12:17:56  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote

They are young adults that have hardly changed in their attitudes since the start of their story. Characters should grow, they should show how their experiences affect them. Not just be guilt and angst ridden all of the time. If I want angst I will read the drizzt books set in neverwinter lol.
It is curious that the books that you rate as your greatest realms fiction are the same that I hold dear.
Just goes to show that as an author you can't please everyone!

Go to Top of Page

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  12:37:59  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus

They are young adults that have hardly changed in their attitudes since the start of their story. Characters should grow, they should show how their experiences affect them. Not just be guilt and angst ridden all of the time. If I want angst I will read the drizzt books set in neverwinter lol.
It is curious that the books that you rate as your greatest realms fiction are the same that I hold dear.

To be fair Brimstone Angels was set during a rather short timespan so expecting character growth in that short a time isn't very realistic. I agree that some of their decisions and reactions are very childish and or dumb but Farideh and Havilar lived a sheltered life up to their late teens for all we know they are just starting to live out their puberty.

Finally completed my Drizzt collection
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  13:26:33  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crystyn

quote:

To be fair Brimstone Angels was set during a rather short timespan so expecting character growth in that short a time isn't very realistic. I agree that some of their decisions and reactions are very childish and or dumb but Farideh and Havilar lived a sheltered life up to their late teens for all we know they are just starting to live out their puberty.

True but it's not only the characters that bug me. To me the book was far too long for the story it told. It failed to draw me in. Full of clichè and predictability. For example, I knew who the ghost was before it was revealed who she was. Yawn. I expect more from authors, much more.
The total lack of sundering information was very disappointing. The book doesn't belong in the series because it has nothing to do with it.

Edited by - Arcanus on 08 May 2014 16:22:27
Go to Top of Page

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  16:48:51  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

True but it's not only the characters that bug me. To me the book was far too long for the story it told. It failed to draw me in. Full of clichè and predictability. For example, I knew who the ghost was before it was revealed who she was. Yawn. I expect more from authors, much more.
The total lack of sundering information was very disappointing. The book doesn't belong in the series because it has nothing to do with it.

Haven't read the latest 2 Sundering books yet but The Adversary revealed much of the chosen system as well as Vhaerauns resurrection, the workings of the demons court among other things.

Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  16:57:51  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If there was one book that lists the nuts and bolts of the Sundering, it was this book. And if there was one book that had nothing to do with the Sundering, it was The Companions.

I do agree with you though, The Adversary was an awful read IMO.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  17:17:11  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was one of my favorite books in the Sundering series. It was slow at times, yes, but I felt the last two books, while good, lacked detail ans character depth. The Adversary did not. It was very well done

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  19:24:17  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Haven't read the latest 2 Sundering books yet but The Adversary revealed much of the chosen system as well as Vhaerauns resurrection, the workings of the demons court among other things.

Not really. The only way it showed the chosen system was to introduce glyphs that could be seen by one person. We already new about chosen growing into their powers etc.
The gods are being ressurected anyway so no new info there really.
How the demon court works has already been mentioned elsewhere, it also has no direct impact on the sundering.

All the book says is that change is afoot and the gods are nervous etc. Thats already been said elsewhere too.

Edited by - Arcanus on 08 May 2014 19:27:01
Go to Top of Page

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  19:42:40  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not really. The only way it showed the chosen system was to introduce glyphs that could be seen by one person. We already new about chosen growing into their powers etc.
How the demon court works has already been mentioned elsewhere, it also has no direct impact on the sundering.

All the book says is that change is afoot and the gods are nervous etc. Thats already been said elsewhere too.

Companions: Return of the weave, the Gods' marks

The Godborn: Return of Mask, weakening of Shar

The Adversary: Hint to Vhaerauns return, Azmodeus plan

Most of this was foreshadowed long ago just because ppl knew it were coming doesn't mean it wasn't new.

The Herald will most likely tell us which Mystra (or all of them) will come back.

Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  20:33:32  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not really sure why The Adversary is being singled out for having nothing to do with the Sundering. All books in the series have been guilty of barely having any info concerning the Sundering.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  20:55:44  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

Not really sure why The Adversary is being singled out for having nothing to do with the Sundering. All books in the series have been guilty of barely having any info concerning the Sundering.

Oh I know. I was under the impression that the sundering would unfold in each book. They are all failing in that regard. The discussion at hand started with my review on the adversary, as this thread is devoted to said book then it stands to reason that it is taking flak.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  21:01:16  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Companions: Return of the weave, the Gods' marks

The Godborn: Return of Mask, weakening of Shar

The Adversary: Hint to Vhaerauns return, Azmodeus plan

Most of this was foreshadowed long ago just because ppl knew it were coming doesn't mean it wasn't new.

The Herald will most likely tell us which Mystra (or all of them) will come back.

As you point out-nothing new really. The series so far is just about finishing the story arcs of the authors characters.

Anyway, I have RLB's book next. Hope things improve.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  21:59:48  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But there were no details at all. It revelead barely more than the hints already had. Reading the full novels leaves one none the wiser than reading the jacket blurb
Go to Top of Page

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2014 :  22:06:10  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

But there were no details at all. It revelead barely more than the hints already had. Reading the full novels leaves one none the wiser than reading the jacket blurb

After the Avatar series was so universally disliked it'll be a while, if at all, 'til we see that much involvement with the gods again.

I only liked them because Kelemvor and Mask are some of my favourite FR characters, Midnight and Cyric are the most annoying though.

Edited by - Crystyn on 08 May 2014 22:07:14
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2014 :  12:49:48  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those who enjoyed this book...you may want to take a peek at the follow-up book - http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Blood-Erin-M-Evans/dp/0786965290/ref=pd_sim_b_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=1CNRJ93BB5G9HX4VHVXJ
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2014 :  14:00:03  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought this book had the Shadovar gathering the Chosen into containment camps?

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2014 :  15:54:04  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ksu_bond

For those who enjoyed this book...you may want to take a peek at the follow-up book - http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Blood-Erin-M-Evans/dp/0786965290/ref=pd_sim_b_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=1CNRJ93BB5G9HX4VHVXJ

Erm I think I shall give anymore Erin Evans titles a miss.
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2014 :  15:54:41  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entromancer

I thought this book had the Shadovar gathering the Chosen into containment camps?

It does.
Go to Top of Page

Crystyn
Seeker

58 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2014 :  17:24:39  Show Profile Send Crystyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ksu_bond

Erm I think I shall give anymore Erin Evans titles a miss.

I for one can't wait, badass MCs are one thing but you get a bit tired of them eventually (one of the reason I like Drizzt even with his angst)

Go to Top of Page

RealmsForgedChild
Acolyte

New Zealand
5 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2014 :  01:58:29  Show Profile Send RealmsForgedChild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was a member here ages ago and I have long sense forgotten my old log in name and password.I had to rejoin if only to speak on this book. I have been reading brimstone angels since it's inception and Mrs. Evans is such a sincerely talented author. it's one of the 3 story arcs I can honestly say I'm truly invested in and I do my best to support the realms constantly.

They have been so much apart of my life but this book in particular. She touched on my pain and feelings of loss that I have struggled with my life entire I was never sure I could fully explain. As a Man that lost first his child and has struggled with depression after. The person that clings to my heart the hardest in this book Mehen.

I love Clanless Mehen so deeply maybe more than the girls. lol And I love the girls. His struggle as not just a father but an individual I've felt it all. Brin I also love because the forest kingdom is one of my favorite places in all the realms. I love all things Cormyr and I'm not even really a fan of humans in most cases. So to get to go back to my favorite place in the realms with characters that have come to mean so much to me.

Thank you for the amazing quality of your writing that makes me feel less alone in my fears and sorrows. That helps me process and digest things that can be healed by holding on to them. Please keep writing.

I look forward to seeing how you write about the heirs of Azoun IV.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000