Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Baldur's Gate 2 Discussion.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2013 :  08:07:45  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I should have put my Baldur's Gate discussion topic here, but did not realize this thread before hand. Anyway, I would like to extend a welcome to all those that stumble upon this topic. And thank you for your input and opinions on this CRPG. You may talk about whatever you are interested in the game, as well as anything you wish regarding Baldur's Gate as a whole. Hail and well met everyone!

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2013 :  08:11:56  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I shall begin, to start this topic off right! One of my favorite things about the game was the story, the idea behind Irenicus. He was one of the most interesting villains EVER to me. His back story was rather tragic, of course. But it could have been redeeming, yet his lineage as an elf is what really brought him no retribution. He lacked the emotions and feelings he felt so intensely as an elf. His tragic disconnection is what made him seem remorseless, he was no better than a human.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2013 :  22:40:27  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, I'd like to add the topic of Cowled wizards. Not much is known lore related to them. If anyone has anything, feel free to incorportate it into this discussion! I always found them VERY interesting.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2013 :  02:42:13  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No fans willing to dicuss this? I kind of wish to keep it alive. Just in case anyone stumbles upon it.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2013 :  19:14:11  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Poor Jaheira, that's all I'll say. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2013 :  00:05:27  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haha fair enough, I felt bad for her as well.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2013 :  10:05:37  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh wow this kind of makes me nostalgic. Its was a great game especially for its time but frankly I was a kid when I played it, so I don't remember it all that well. I liked Coran the best.
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2013 :  10:09:50  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Oh wow this kind of makes me nostalgic. Its was a great game especially for its time but frankly I was a kid when I played it, so I don't remember it all that well. I liked Coran the best.

It was doing the same thing to me as well, nostalgia hit like a brick wall. That's quite alright, some players cannot recall the old days playing it and grinding through the dungeons with a personalized party.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2013 :  10:12:40  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alruane

quote:

It was doing the same thing to me as well, nostalgia hit like a brick wall. That's quite alright, some players cannot recall the old days playing it and grinding through the dungeons with a personalized party.

Cool at least I am not the only one.
Still as it was one of the first RPGs I ever played it will always be a fond if somewhat hazy memory of mine.
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2013 :  10:16:22  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Cool at least I am not the only one.
Still as it was one of the first RPGs I ever played it will always be a fond if somewhat hazy memory of mine.

Naw, I mean I still play it from time to time. But it's the original game, not the Enhanced. Not yet, at least. >.>
But anyway, even players who cannot recall much of it...still feel nostalgia and miss the good ole dungeon crawling.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2013 :  12:13:45  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. You must really be a huge fan. I don't have enough patience to keep playing a game over such a long period of time. Try out the enhanced edition though I hear its pretty good.
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2013 :  12:55:51  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, I loved The Sword Coast and just everything about Baldur's Gate and the surrounding areas! I've been like that with certain games as well, gave up after a while. But this is not one of them Haha
Yeah I planned on getting them soon, hopefully on sale. What with the holidays coming up.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2013 :  16:31:58  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow. You must really be a huge fan. I don't have enough patience to keep playing a game over such a long period of time. Try out the enhanced edition though I hear its pretty good.

Mass Effect 1 and 2 have been the only games I've really been able to do multiple playthroughs of. I think it's because the story doesn't get old and I know which parts of those games I can skip.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2013 :  22:10:20  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

quote:

Mass Effect 1 and 2 have been the only games I've really been able to do multiple playthroughs of. I think it's because the story doesn't get old and I know which parts of those games I can skip.

Fair point, those are very fun games, I have never played the third though. I heard a lot of fans complaining about the ending and so on. So I just never picked it up, but the first two are HIGHLY recommended for anyone who hasn't played it.

SORRY for going off topic! Haha

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2013 :  04:51:41  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I HIGHLY recommend purchasing BG EE for any fans out there that are die hard and still love the series! It is well worth the price, plus it's on Steam for 60% off!

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2013 :  13:32:16  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyway, if anyone has a Steam account and wants to venture with my on Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition feel free to add me! Crimsonchaos110, I usually get some game time in every day, if possible.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2013 :  11:56:16  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well those are great games. I even enjoyed ME 3 though I know most people had a lot of problems with it. Still I only played through them once. So many games to play and so little time....
I think KOTOR 2 was the game I played through the most times at least around 5 or 6 times but then I am a huge Star Wars fan.
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  01:56:34  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Well those are great games. I even enjoyed ME 3 though I know most people had a lot of problems with it. Still I only played through them once. So many games to play and so little time....
I think KOTOR 2 was the game I played through the most times at least around 5 or 6 times but then I am a huge Star Wars fan.

I have not played ME 3 yet, I heard the ending(s) were pissing off fans of the series. But I am still curious to finish the saga, as I have played 1 & 2.
I played both KOTOR and loved them both, I could not choose my favorite one. I played through them so many times, I wanted to find new things each time. I loved it!

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  15:06:53  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Currently waiting for the price of Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition to go down in price. I REALLY want that version as well it was, by far, my favorite.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2013 :  14:16:45  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No fans willing to dicuss this?[/br]

That's only because I have been offline for a few months!

These games are probably my favourite of all time (and I've played a hell of a lot of games). I first played these games in what was probably 2004, I was only 10 at the time so a lot of it was way above my puny mind at the time but I loved them nonetheless. I actually used to go outside and play "Baldur's Gate" in my own way sometimes. I had a stick and a coin. I'd get into imaginary battles with wolves and flip a coin to see if I hit or not.

Anyway I kept on playing the BG series for a solid three years straight. I wasn't allowed to play games during the week so when the weekend finally came around I would play literally all weekend if I could. I'm talking 30-40 hours over Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday. It was crazy.

My copy of BG1 was broken... actually it wasn't the disk that was broken it was the computer. It would crash whenever I saw an enemy so it became unplayable. I say it was the computers fault because when we finally got a new computer it worked fine haha. I managed somehow to play BG1 once though (the first time). I swear the game crashed more frequently after that first playthrough.

So I only ever played BG2... for three years. I could practically start and finish the entire thing AND do every side quest in a single weekend. Needless to say I played the game a lot. I probably only played BG2 every third weekend or so. Still, I must have finished the game almost thirty or so times.

Of course after a while it got kind of boring. I still enjoyed it but it lost a lot of its allure. So I didn't play it after that for probably three years until my family finally got a new computer. That's when I thought that I'd give BG1 a go (and it worked on a new computer!). I then played through BG2 as well. That was in 2009.

I haven't played since because a thought hit me. What if I don't play for a long time? How good will it be? It'll almost be like the first time. So here I am. At the end of 2013 and I haven't played since. I purchased BG:EE but it's not time yet. I need to wait a year or so more. Then I'll be ready. That's when it will be magical.

"A true warrior needs no sword" - Thors (Vinland Saga)
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2013 :  15:52:54  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do the same things, I first played the second Baldur's Gate when I was eleven years old. That was around 2001 and ever since, I have been hooked on the games. I usually give it a year or two and start playing again, but sometimes I cannot help it and just play for months. It was more fun when it had a dedicated server on gamespy to play with others. The multiplayer now is decent but, I miss it. This game is one of the greats, both the first and second. I just recently purchased, and played for about 10 hours, the first Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

terzaerian
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2014 :  00:38:24  Show Profile Send terzaerian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I played BG pretty much from when I discovered it, thanks to a friend, in 2003, to 2011, buying it about three times. I still have a working build of it. It was my first RPG and sparked a love affair with the genre and fantasy in general that has yet to abate.
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2014 :  21:50:24  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To me, the BG series was overall EXTREMELY Realmsian and captured alot of of obvious love of the setting. Nothing has ever compared.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000