Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Create Water and Food...what kind?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2013 :  12:31:06  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
OK so Clerics get Create food and water and I was reading Kemp where Fleet creates Potato Soup then, to make everyone else happy creates something with meat. Fair enough, I've got a cleric about to get the spell who asked, So I can make anything? So why would I ever go to an Inn? Good point.
So if the Gods allowed only certain "Iconic" meals, which gods would create what? Tempus maybe traveler's Hard Tack common for many foot soldiers. Umberlee fish Octopus and Roasted squid ffrom the deepest seas? Selune Moonpies?
Have fun, go nuts! Silvanus? perhaps, Roasted nuts? LOL

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2013 :  13:46:32  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well a Cleric indeed could stay out of Inns by use of the spell, however that is not the reason for the spell. A deity might decide to not permit access to that spell if the only reason it was used was for self, that type of use does not further the faith goals.
The spell should be used when there is a lack of food from other sources and the need is there. Siege, famine, etc.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2013 :  13:54:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gruumsh: Roasted elf

Sune: Mountain oysters, regular oysters, Yak privates, almonds and walnuts, a certain southern spice known as 'Tethyrian Fly', etc, etc

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2013 :  16:28:04  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Saxmilian

So I can make anything? So why would I ever go to an Inn?

The answer lies within the text of the spell...

The food that this spell creates is simple fare of your choice—highly nourishing, if rather bland.

So while it will allow you to survive, it's not a home cooked meal.

It's food without taste.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2013 :  22:55:15  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A wizardly equivalent, Quimby‘s Enchanted Gourmet, states that it can be used to prepare any meal which the caster already knows how to cook. Obviously, a wizard with cooking proficiency will be a more popular travelling companion than one who - at best - might only know how to present fare similar to Kraft Dinner. A different spell, but not a bad guideline.

I suppose it could be argued that PC priests are special heroic people destined to accomplish great deeds and serve as examplars for lesser priests of the faith, thus they might be able to sustain themselves with this spell (and hopefully donate the money they would‘ve paid at markets and taverns to some faith-worthy cause). But I suppose a deity could become fed up (yuk yuk) with overuse of this spell and simply serve bowl after unexciting bowl of bland oatmeal.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2013 :  03:42:08  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The text of the spell notwithstanding...I would lean towards the OPs examples above...

Various seafoods for Umberlee
Crop foods for Chauntea
Field rations for Tempus (with decent meat to keep the troops in fighting shape)
Plant foods for Silvanus
Pretty much anything for Mielikki (since rangers both hunt and forage for food)
Raw (or nearly raw) animal meat for Malar

Others may be a bit more difficult to nail down...

Mystra...very basic fare here
Siamorphe...interesting, as a goddess of nobles she should provide 'fine food/wine' but it should be no more or less nourishing
Tymora...roll the dice and see what luck brings you!
Beshaba...roll the dice and hope for the best!
Oghma...for some reason I see nuts here (perhaps because nuts are considered 'brain food' and perhaps Mystra/Azuth would provide the same)

One could have a bit of fun with this spell methinks. Perhaps as a priest rises in power the food gets a bit better.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2013 :  03:59:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if godly origins would have any influence ... Oghma is Celtic, Tyr is Norse, Tymora and Beshaba are born of Tyche, who was Greek ... I think it best to not consider what meals might be offered by Asmodeus.

Carrying the above logic of Siamorphe to its conclusion, I suppose this spell‘s menu would be governed by whichever regions and populations happen to form the bulk of the granting deity‘s worshippers. Tymora might deliver (famously bland) Cormyrean hotcakes, while Myrkul might‘ve granted Thayvian samosas.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2013 :  10:50:55  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd see that variety in spells of higher level, which summon tables of magical food for feasts, but text says for this one (at least in PHB 3.5) that it's bread and water, with little or no taste. Survival pack, strictly.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2013 :  20:13:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many a dwarven priest would disdain water and argue that a body needs decent ale to properly digest anything. Some might even argue that it is required to maintain healthy mind and soul. People call it “spirits“ for a reason.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2013 :  20:24:07  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Almost bland does not require no taste at all, clearly could be in many forms as indicated, nuts, bread, plant, etc. Though I do agree more survival rations then well tasting rations.

Bring your own spices *G*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000