Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dwarves of mixed parentage
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

muir
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2013 :  19:38:30  Show Profile Send muir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This came up while I was considering genasi parentage, and thought of dwarf/azer and dwarf/pech couples. (Unlikely, but not impossible.)

This led to my considering dwarven interbreeding. Shield, gold, jungle, arctic dwarves are all, as far as I understand, only distinct sub-races due to environmental and cultural differences. Urdunnir were transformed by Dumathoin, while the duergar were altered by illithids. Unlike the gith races, I have not found any reference to duergar producing eggs rather than live young, so I assume they bear children as most bipedal mammals do.

Derro, being a multi-generational dwarf/human hybrid begun by deific twisting, I do not count as a dwarven subrace for the purpose of this discussion. (Feel free to disagree.)

Elves, I remember reading but cannot trace the reference, breed true to one parent in the case of sub-species crosses. What happens to dwarves, if, say, a shield dwarf and duergar coupling produces a child? What would it look like? Would it have a higher chance of psionic talent? Urdinner cross-breeds I think would be even rarer, due to their isolation.

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2013 :  05:09:38  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dwarven genes can be considered very strong compared to other races. Half-dwarven children for example are imperceptibly different from a pure-blooded dwarf and it's been stated that even if a half-dwarf were to dilute the bloodline further, it would still result in a half-dwarf. If the theory about the dwarven origins of the D'tarig is true it would mean many generations of half-dwarves breeding with humans to create a still-very dwarven human subrace.

Outsider blood always seems to manifest itself somehow with durzagons, azerbloods, etc.

So what happens when dwarves breed with other dwarven subraces? Does one subrace have a stronger bloodline than others? It's never been mentioned to my knowledge, people seem to be far more concerned with a dwarf's ability to interbreed with other species.

Hypothetically, and this is purely speculation, I'd say if you have an individual from a family with a particularly dominant family trait like a bulbous nose, then it's child will be the same subrace as it.

Remember though that gold dwarves only really breed with other gold dwarves for cultural reasons, duergar and surface dwarves wouldn't WANT to breed typically and the derro would probably only breed with duergar (and then only in Gracklstugh) unless they forced themselves on someone (that being said, with a little bit of intervention, a derro can create half-illithids known as madminds so who knows what they're capable of).

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2013 :  13:02:14  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, we must remember that dwarves interbreed less with other races or even subraces because they are extremely lawful and usually keep their lineages more "pure" through arranged marriages. But I'm also curious, don't remember a mention to this topic in Dwarves Deep.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2013 :  13:16:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if a Jungle and arctic dwarf had babies, I'd just call them dwarves.

Maybe nakit dwarves....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

muir
Acolyte

Canada
41 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2013 :  18:46:59  Show Profile Send muir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, gold/shield/jungle/arctic would all produce children with largely the same physical characteristics. (Jungle and arctic tend to be smaller than shield and gold.) Jungle and arctic tend to be less lawful, also...

I do not have, and have not read, Dwarves Deep, alas.

D'tarig?

Yes, with the duergar example, I was thinking that it might not be consensual. I am unsure if duergar would be cross-fertile, though durzagons provide a potential case for it, if perhaps only with horny devils.

I do not know too much about derro; what is their link with illithids? And what is the source for madminds?

And Markus, nakit? A search turns up various Eastern European sites.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2013 :  20:17:07  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D'tarig are a 4-foot tall human subrace native to the Anauroch desert and are encountered much more frequently than the Bedine. It's theorised that they are descended from couplings between dwarves from tethyamar and humans from the same general area. (Anauroch, The Empire of Shade p140/FR 13 p31)

Madminds were the result of illithid experiments in Gauntlgrym, created in 1363 and ultimately what killed them a few years later once they started to breed amongst themselves. Madminds are very prolific and came to populate much of the lower levels (Lost Empires of Faerun p143) until driven out by duergar (Neverwinter Campaign Setting p196).

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 07 Nov 2013 20:28:39
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2013 :  20:51:48  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a dwarf / elf hybrid in Myth Drannor if I recall correctly. I can't for the life of me remember who or what they were known for though.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2013 :  21:20:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

There was a dwarf / elf hybrid in Myth Drannor if I recall correctly. I can't for the life of me remember who or what they were known for though.

From a prior discussion...

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Interesting, but as I recall, while dwarves CAN interbreed with humans, the offspring tend to be sterile, and are hence called (somewhat derogitorily, I believe) "mules". I think that came from some 3.5 Eberron lore, or some such, but it would stand as "standard" for ALL D&D lore, I think. I do recall there being ONE half-dwarf/elf, and that was Drannor, for whom Myth Drannor was supposedly named, according to the 2nd ed book "Cormanthyr". apperantly, he was the product of the first (and likely ONLY) elf/swarf union.

There's more than that one. There are two named ones that I know of, and references to others.

Of the named ones, one was Isinghar "Feyrune" Ironstar, described as a dwelf runecarver and archmage of Ammarindar, who was one of the secondary casters in the raising of the mythal over Myth Glaurach. This is from the Myth Glaurach article that was part of the Mintiper's Chapbook series.

The other named dwelf was Dlarbraddath. We don't know if that was his actual name; we just know that a section of Myth Drannor was "named for the gardener who laid it out, a being said to have an elven mother and a dwarven father!" (page 19, Campaign Guide to Myth Drannor, Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set). I think it more likely he was named Dlarbradd.

The Myth Glaurach article also notes, in the footnotes, that

quote:
Dwarf-elf crossbreeds, known as "dwelf" in the singular and "dwelves" in the plural, are noted as having been common in the days of Eaerlann in FR11 – Dwarves Deep, p. 6.

Page 6 of Dwarves Deep says:

quote:
Humans, gnomes, and halflings are cross-fertile with dwarves. Elminster says elves and dwarves can have issue as well. Common in Ardeep, Eaerlann, and Myth Drannor of old, this is unheard-of today.

and

quote:
"Half-dwarves" are not a distinct race. Save for their height (a head taller than most dwarves) all offspring of unions between dwarves and other races look and act (and are treated in the rules) as pureblood dwarves. Dwarven halfbreeds always have the stocky build and hirsute appearance of purebloods.

There's no notation there about half-dwarves in the Realms being sterile. I think that you're conflating Dark Sun's muls with half-dwarves of the Realms. Muls are sterile, as I recall, and they are also half-dwarves -- but they're also specific to Dark Sun.

We also have this particular bit from Steven Schend, as well:-
quote:
Dwelves....okay, I'll stop myself early before I start doing haiku about stone shelves and dungeon delves....

As stated above (and like half-elves), they favor and adopt the lifestyle/culture under which they are raised. Same goes for which gods they revere.

Both elves and dwarves have serious cognitive dissonance when it comes to dwelves, as (unlike half-elves or half-orcs, IMO) there's no set form or expectation for how they'll look. It's anyone's guess if you'll end up with a dwarf's body size and shape with elven features and ears or an elf's body but stocky vs. svelte and rather hairier than the norm. Dwarven parents may mourn their child's inability to grow a decent beard, thanks to their elven half, while elves may grumble that the child is more interested in the dirt rather than the tree from which it springs. Most likely, they're only comfortable among some societies that embrace acceptance and unity (like Myth Drannor or Miyeritar or elsewhere).

That said, I was surprised by that Myth Glaurach note. Methinks I'll have to talk to Eric and find out what else he's had the Blackstaff up to while I've not been watching....if only for my own curiousity, of course.

Steven
(and some day I'll tell y'all about the Pentad, an alliance of the churches of five gods of four races...but not today, as only three dwelves worshiped among them, and none of them reached high priest stage or any ranking of note)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2013 :  21:26:51  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know about anyone else - but I'd like to see that haiku :P
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2013 :  00:27:32  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are interested, I designed a race where you can mix and match prime material and planar racial heritages. In 3.5 these would all probably be considered +1 races, but in Pathfinder they are just considered to be "Advanced" races.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2013 :  00:33:07  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Hawkins I consider it my duty, for posterity's sake of course, to steal your work.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2013 :  02:56:21  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was, by the way, a standard half-dwarf race in dark sun. "Mul". Dark Sun races were a bit different, but I see no reason mul could not be used elsewhere.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2013 :  03:36:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

There was, by the way, a standard half-dwarf race in dark sun. "Mul". Dark Sun races were a bit different, but I see no reason mul could not be used elsewhere.

Muls are born sterile and are a distinct DARK SUN race. Whereas the half-dwarves of the Realms aren't a distinct race. They are still, essentially, pureblood dwarves, as Ed's Dwarves Deep notes. Thus, they can still breed.

The fact that Muls can't breed would seem to be an inherent aspect of Athasian dwarven genetics. So if we were to include them in the Realms, that differing genetic trait would probably have to be addressed beforehand.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000