Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Hardwood
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2013 :  02:11:09  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am wondering which tree indigenous to the Realms is the hardest and best suited for the making of weapons such as quarterstaves, trudgeons and cudgels? I know that Volo's Guide to All Things Magical had a list of lumber, but that text is unavailable to me at the moment. A quick search here shows the keyword "hardwood" mentioned several times in Ed's scroll. Does anybody have an answer? If so what is this weapons-grade wood, what does it look like and what are its other properties (if any)? Thanks.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2013 :  02:48:03  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you have duskwood: The wood beneath the bark is always smoky gray and as hard as iron. Their wood#146;s strength helps them survive the axes of woodcutters who come seeking firewood. Most mast spars and building roof beams in Faerūn are made of duskwood spars. Duskwood is also very resistant to fire, smoldering rather than blazing, and because of this, duskwood trees tend to survive forest fires.

Suth: Suth wood is very hard and durable. It is so hard that it is difficult to work unless one has the finest tools. Thin sheets of this wood retain astonishing strength for decades and so are favored for use in book covers. Suth is also the preferred wood for shields; it never shatters and does not catch fire as long as it is soaked in water before battle. A crushing blow might crack a suth wood shield, but it would not fly apart if cracked.

and Zalantar: the bark and wood of the tree are black#151;hence its Northern name: #147;blackwood.#148; Zalantar wood is strong, yet easily worked, and sees much use in southern buildings and the making of wagons, litters, and wheels.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2013 :  02:54:44  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, rjfras. Is all of that from VGtATM?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2013 :  03:22:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's pretty much quoted from that source.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2013 :  05:39:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Suth would be best.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000