Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dread Rings Return to NeverWinter
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2013 :  19:44:59  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129116-Neverwinter-Expands-with-Free-Shadowmantle-Module

So nothing huge, guess just some new neverwinter stuff, but they are saying it focuses heavily on dread rings, so many a bunch of good fluff and lore?

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2013 :  10:41:08  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh that reminds me. I really have to start playing this game again. So many good games so little time...
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  00:20:11  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NWN (and other Bioware CRPGs) are not produced by WotC and they apparently have license to include details which are not canon nor need to comply with canon, either in terms of game rules or in terms of story/setting.

Having said that, some of what they produce does gain tacit recognition as canon, whenever WotC might decide to publish or build upon Bioware‘s material - it‘s happened before, especially back in the early (TSR) days, Pool of Radiance is the classic example.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  05:36:03  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only acknowledgement WotC made of Neverwinter Nights' canonicity was the mention in the Grand History that the Wailing Death occurred in the city in 1372. I believe that may have had more to do with the cancelled Neverwinter Nights novel than the game itself. The Neverwinter MMO was less a licensed game and more a wide-ranging multimedia project, along the lines of Defiance but with a sourcebook and novel range instead of a Syfy TV series.

Incidentally, the Neverwinter MMO has nothing to do with anything made by Bioware and so is not subject to any contract WotC had with them.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 31 Oct 2013 05:39:13
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  07:04:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

The only acknowledgement WotC made of Neverwinter Nights' canonicity was the mention in the Grand History that the Wailing Death occurred in the city in 1372.
And one of the expansions, too. Undrentide was marked on one of the maps in Grand History. I don't recall there being an entry for Hordes of the Underdark. And I remember Brian James suggesting that may be due to the ending of the expansion being difficult to canonise.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  11:41:16  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zehir too was taken from a neverwinter game and forced inside the Realms with no rhyme nor reason.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  12:05:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure Dread Rings don't really DO anything, they are just a hobby for Szass Tam (like building ships in a bottle).

He knows folks get scared when he starts building them, and thats how he gets his jollies. They don't actually serve a purpose (can liches 'go senile'?)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  13:14:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

Zehir too was taken from a neverwinter game and forced inside the Realms with no rhyme nor reason.

Wasn't Zehir a Core 4e D&D deity?

It's curious... because I recall the entry for the "Towers of Night" in the 4e FRCG noting that Zehir is an interloper deity.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  13:45:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have often theorized that Zehir was part of the 'core package' of rules sent over to the Bioware guys so they could build the new Neverwinter game, and NO-ONE TOLD THEM NOT TO USE THE CORE GODS.

I've yet to see any official denial of that... but then again, I wouldn't believe them anyway.

I had WAY more here, but it turned into a mini-tirade. Suffice it to say the main problem with 4e was that no-one was in-charge, and far too many things 'slipped through the cracks' because of it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  14:10:34  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quick! Someone throw Markustay a new map!

Wheww! Now, while he's occupied studying it:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

Wasn't Zehir a Core 4e D&D deity?

It's curious... because I recall the entry for the "Towers of Night" in the 4e FRCG noting that Zehir is an interloper deity.

I believe Zehir entered the Realms in the waning days of 3e thanks to the PC game Neverwinter Nights: Storm of Zehir (some sort of spin-off sequel for NWN2 and NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer) in which you play a party of adventurers that gets washed ashore in Chult and gets caught up running a trading company that takes you all the way to the Sword Coast North (to the places visited during NWN2) where you find a big conspiracy of yuan-ti worshippers of Zehir that you thwarth by killing the Herald of Zehir (or somesuch, it was a superduper winged yuan-ti, maybe multi-limbed too, can't remember) in a climatic final battle.

That's the first mention of Zehir that i know of, before any 4e material was released.

Oh crap! Marskustay realized it was just a new rendition of a 1980s map he already knows! Run everybody! Run for your life!

Edited by - Demzer on 31 Oct 2013 14:11:45
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  14:21:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No...

I just keep picturing the 4e guys as Pee Wee Herman saying, "I meant to do that."

Voice-overs cost money; so does in-game text. If the game was far-along in development it would have been much easier to say , "screw it, FR has Zehir now".

That makes the most sense to ME, in light of the fact that one of 4e's main mantras was 'downsizing the pantheons', and then they give us TWO new serpent gods (to add to the 100 or so we already had).

Because, ya' know, Asmodeus is often called 'the serpent'.

This touches on yet another problem WotC faces - you can't do things right, unless the rules are intimately connected to the setting, which nearly every other company out there can do, because they only have one world to work with. You can't have 'core' and 'FR' (and EB/GH/DL/etc), because it is too confusing, and mistakes like Zehir creep in.

EDIT:
And despite all this, I am still feeling positive about 5e, because I think if anyone can give us something palatable in the new edition, it is Ed Greenwood.

As for the rules - I still haven't gotten the chance to play-test the latest package, but I've heard good things. I already plan to buy the 5th edition D&D core books. Whether I buy the rest is up to THEM.

Edited by - Markustay on 31 Oct 2013 14:25:31
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  15:00:18  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I'm pretty sure Dread Rings don't really DO anything, they are just a hobby for Szass Tam (like building ships in a bottle).

In the Neverwinter Trilogy they hold a huge amount of necromantic power which Tam or someone he chooses can draw from.
He gave Sylora Salm control over it and she used it to build a magical fortress, raise undead and empower her spells if I remember correctly.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  22:27:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My error, NWN is not a Bioware product. That‘s what I get for assuming.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000