Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Extradimensional Spaces/Demiplanes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2013 :  17:35:21  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm looking for any information on how extradimensional spaces and demiplanes are created. What series of spells are used, how is 'matter' brought into such a space, approximate costs for building such a place, etc. I'm looking for anything in this regard, including conjecture and homebrew ideas/solutions.

I know there is a 9th level spell for creating demiplanes but this spell seems too simplistic for such a drastic effect. So does creating a modified Morty's Mansion spell and making it permanent. The process should just be more involved, IMO.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2013 :  22:32:16  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even lowest-level spells, like Deeppockets or Rope Trick or Withdrawal, can create a small, temporary extradimensional space.

My advice is to examine every extradimensional spell and magic item you can find to assess their relative measures (how big is the extradimensional space, how long does it last, how is it accessed, etc) and gain an idea of what level the extradimensional space of your dreams will need to be. As a rule, lasting and powerful effects require higher level magics or exotic components or restrictions on spellcasting.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2013 :  23:12:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Volo's Guide to All Things Magical" has a discussion on extra-dimensional spaces.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2013 :  23:28:03  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In some ways the question is about making a demi-plane I would think. As such a mage would start with something like rope trick and or bag of holding. Rope trick makes a larger space then a bag of holding, however has a duration. The bag of holding has permanency however subject to damage.

Taking some of those, or other dimensional effects (as has been indicated there are many spells that can create such space) it clearly should be possible to craft a spell that clearly higher level that can provide the pocket plane that has lasting duration.

Though it might be easier to become a deity that can use higher powers then even the best mage can wield.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2013 :  02:04:09  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the responses thus far. What I'm getting at is creating a permanent, stable extra-dimensional space capable of sustaining living beings should be a long, difficult and highly involved process. As written, a mage could simply modify Morty's Mansion, make it permanent, and have a secret abode that will last beyond his/her lifespan. This just seems too easy to me. I mean a wizard could just modify the demiplane spell (sorry I forget its name atm) and create a permanent extra dimensional space in one spell (by modify I mean to say equate the spell with the existing game mechanic).

Thanks George, I forgot about Volo's Guide.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2013 :  05:42:16  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those are two different things.
Extradimensional pocketses go all the way from Deeppockets to Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion.
As to the proper stable demiplanes with pre-programmed properties, there was a spell Demiplane Seed in Planeswalker's Handbook. 8-level, with costly components and lots of preparation, and as the name suggests, it only starts the process. But hey, it makes a new little demiplane (expandable by re-casting) out of thin ether.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2013 :  07:53:03  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know they're two different things...I'm speaking strictly in terms of the game mechanics involved (example: researching a 'lightning ball' spell with all of the same properties of fireball in terms of damage, range, etc). Similarly, one could take the Demiplane Seed spell, use all of the same stats, but make it an dimensional pocket instead. My point in this thread is...a single spell being able to accomplish either of these things is just to simplistic, IMO, so I'm hoping for a more expansive solution.

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2013 :  08:03:55  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Technically, this means making a magical item - just like a Bag of Holding, but built upon a variant of Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion rather than Deeppockets or something.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2013 :  00:27:40  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 2E Tome of Magic has a spell called Estate Transference which seems very close to what you seek. It is high level and requires a specific (elemental) magic item as a casting component. You might find ye olde Rod of Security appealing as well, especially if you can fashion a spell to somehow duplicate the effect, make it permanent, or recharge the item.

A little jaunt to the Astral can be used to “multiply“ subjective time, allowing for lengthy research projects and such to be completed in an objective eyeblink. The Astral is populated by many threats, however, and presents numerous risks.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2013 :  00:48:18  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
9th level Wizard and only appears to go to elemental planes. Indeed it is close to what appears to be sought though.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2013 :  00:24:37  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster‘s “Safehold“ (well, at least one of them) is described as an extra-dimensional demiplace ... THO has provided detailed accountings about it several times at Candlekeep, although I don‘t recall any specifics about which spells might have been used to create/maintain it.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000