Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ranger in thay
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pluddon
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  04:22:15  Show Profile Send Pluddon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am running something taking place in thay and a player of mine is wanting to create a ranger. He wants to try and role play this ranger and we need some suggestions for the preffered enemy for him. Thanks

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  04:47:12  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well must be low level to have only one, many rangers use the local menace they grew up around as their first choice, goblins, kobolds come to mind. For Thay perhaps slavers might be a kind of option, however in most cases it is a race or a monster and slavers can be any race.

3.5 SRD offers a standard list that could be selected from as follows.
quote:

Aberration
Animal
Construct
Dragon
Elemental
Fey
Giant
Humanoid (aquatic)
Humanoid (dwarf)
Humanoid (elf)
Humanoid (goblinoid)
Humanoid (gnoll)
Humanoid (gnome)
Humanoid (halfling)
Humanoid (human)
Humanoid (orc)
Humanoid (reptilian)
Magical beast
Monstrous Humanoid
Ooze
Outsider (air)
Outsider (chaotic)
Outsider (earth)
Outsider (evil)
Outsider (fire)
Outsider (good)
Outsider (lawful)
Outsider (native)
Outsider (water)
Plant
Undead
Vermin

Edit was reorder of SRD content.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 11 Oct 2013 04:53:29
Go to Top of Page

Pluddon
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  05:54:44  Show Profile Send Pluddon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah. We're starting out at 2nd
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  13:23:14  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgotten Realms 2e (I think in the Adventures accessory) says that a ranger can have organizations as their preferred enemies, like the Zhentarim, Red Wizards (a nice and dangerous choice there), Cult of the Dragon, or even the church of a deity.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  13:49:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, as much as I like the flavor of that, it doesn't make much sense mechanically.

Unlike groups of creatures - that have vital organs, weaknesses, powers, behavior, etc... in-common, groups are composed of individuals who behave differently and have very different equipment and skill-sets. Saying an entire group are 'all alike' (enough for that Ranger ability to be feasible) is a bit... bigoted, no?

Think about it - you can then take 'Chultans' as your preferred enemy, because, ya know... "all Chultans look (and act) alike to me". That's a slippery slope right there.

EDIT: OH, and if you decide to use that - which is perfectly fine for your game - then I would advise against 'Red Wizard' as an enemy... not IN Thay, anyway.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Oct 2013 13:51:57
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  18:49:24  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
did rangers have preferred enemies in 2nd edition? I don't recall it until 3rd edition. Could be wrong.

In Thay, I'd recommend undead as a favored enemy. Its a broad group that you are apt to run up against on any given adventure. They're relatively common in Thay. After that I'd choose either outsider (due to the recent salamander war), elemental (also, the recent salamander war), giant (blaming ogres and/or trolls here), or magical beast (due to experimenters).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  19:00:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

You know, as much as I like the flavor of that, it doesn't make much sense mechanically.

Unlike groups of creatures - that have vital organs, weaknesses, powers, behavior, etc... in-common, groups are composed of individuals who behave differently and have very different equipment and skill-sets. Saying an entire group are 'all alike' (enough for that Ranger ability to be feasible) is a bit... bigoted, no?

Think about it - you can then take 'Chultans' as your preferred enemy, because, ya know... "all Chultans look (and act) alike to me". That's a slippery slope right there.

EDIT: OH, and if you decide to use that - which is perfectly fine for your game - then I would advise against 'Red Wizard' as an enemy... not IN Thay, anyway.

It's not that different from saying all goblins are the same, or all giants... One can reasonably expect members of the same organization to have similar training, reactions, and abilities.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  19:31:28  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

did rangers have preferred enemies in 2nd edition? I don't recall it until 3rd edition. Could be wrong.

In Thay, I'd recommend undead as a favored enemy. Its a broad group that you are apt to run up against on any given adventure. They're relatively common in Thay. After that I'd choose either outsider (due to the recent salamander war), elemental (also, the recent salamander war), giant (blaming ogres and/or trolls here), or magical beast (due to experimenters).

Yes, I offer:
quote:
In their roles as protector of good, rangers tend to focus their efforts against some particular creature, usually one that marauds their homeland. Before advancing to 2nd level, every ranger must select a species enemy. Typical enemies include giants, orcs, lizard men, trolls, or ghouls; your DM has final approval on the choice. Thereafter, whenever the ranger encounters that enemy, he gains a +4 bonus to his attack rolls. This enmity can be concealed only with great difficulty, so the ranger suffers a -4 penalty on all encounter reactions with creatures of the hated type. Furthermore, the ranger will actively seek out this enemy in combat in preference to all other foes unless someone else presents a much greater danger.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2013 :  20:42:40  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And from Adventures, we have:

"Species enemies in the Realms include, but are not limited to, the following things:
Giants
Orcs
Lizard men
Goblins
Trolls
Ghouls
Gnolls
Beholders
Drow
Ettin
Geniekind
Giant-kin
Hags
Kenku
Kuo-toa
Lamia
Lycanthropes
Shambling mounds
Tasloi
Urds
Kobolds
Hobgoblins
Bugbears
Harpies
Mind flayers
Minotaurs
Owlbears
Wights
Wraiths
Spectres
Vampires
Dragons of a particular color
Medusae (including maedar)
Ogres (including ogre magi)
Priests, followers, and minions of a particular evil god (such as Malar the Beastlord)
Human (or nonhuman) natives of a particular city or region, such as Sembians or Keepers (natives of Zhentil Keep)
Members (human or otherwise) of a particular organization (such as members of a specific mercenary band or minions of the Zhentarim)"

I think that maybe this bonus to hit can be out of hate (like a berserker bonus), and/or due to the ranger knowing his enemies and their tactics (maybe both). The reaction penalty shows how emotion is a strong factor here.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2013 :  22:51:33  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is your ranger Thayvian? Does he work for the Zulkirs? If so than natural enemies would be from neighboring realms most likely.... as in - he gets sent to Mulhornand or Aglarond or Rashemen on missions.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000