Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Yuan-ti Elves?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2013 :  14:12:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I had an idea for my mash-up setting, and was wondering if this has been done in any canon lore before? When I read about the Yuan-ti templates, the lore says 'human', but then I don't see that as actually being a prerequisite (this from online sources, not a sourcebook, so the veracity is what am questioning). It just says 'base creature'.

I just thought that an Elf-Yuan-ti would be pretty damn cool, and something a little different. Anyone have any information or thoughts?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2013 :  19:58:46  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never thought of that, and since I always thought yuan-ti were created through a more direct manipulation, I would rule out that elves cannot survive its creation process - they can't survive torture and such, in older references. If they must be bred, however, maybe there would be a chance that elven yuan-ti were created at some point in history. My opinion, though.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2013 :  21:26:44  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something like a lillend, or that reptilian gith from Dark Sun? Or the aelfinn creatures from Wheel of Time.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2013 :  23:15:15  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yuan-ti elves? No. Absolutely not. Unnecessary and disgusting.

Now, yuan-ti dwarves ... hmm, that bears some thought.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2013 :  00:29:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elves seem a perfect fit - thin and agile, cunning, etc... like This Pic.

Dwarves? That seems a stretch... short, stocky snakes? I could even picture gnomes or halflings before dwarves.

A Yuan-ti Illithid would be interesting.. I wonder which 'nature' would dominate? Or would that be some sort of 'unholy abomination' that both races would fear and hunt?

quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Something like a lillend, or that reptilian gith from Dark Sun? Or the aelfinn creatures from Wheel of Time.
Interesting takes. I am not familiar with the Aelfinn - which book were they in? The only one I missed was the last one (the one NOT written by Robert Jordan). Edit: Just checked Wiki - I think I remeber that part of the story now.

I like the gith idea - you reminded me of the primitive, bird-like reptilian creatures that were presumably the precursors of the Melniboneans in the Elric/Moorcock novels.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Sep 2013 00:37:51
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2013 :  07:19:19  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally prefer the idea of a Yuan-ti drow. I think that would make an incredible assassin.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2013 :  16:45:10  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I like the gith idea - you reminded me of the primitive, bird-like reptilian creatures that were presumably the precursors of the Melniboneans in the Elric/Moorcock novels.

I don't remember any such, the doomed folk, the older ones...

here's some yuan-ti-elf pictures btw

pic1.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2013 :  04:12:10  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not? I say. I'm not sure if any of the traditional clans from SK would include any, but certainly they could be created. We've got half-demon and half-dragon elves, why not half-serpent?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2013 :  04:52:12  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
link: Vampiric Elven Yuan-ti?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by - Fellfire on 25 Nov 2013 04:52:43
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2013 :  16:10:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had forgotten about this thread - how serendipitous! I am currently working on my Chult/Garund mash-up continent, and was looking for stuff having to do with the Yuna-ti.

Earlier I said a dwarf/yuan-ti would be weird, but it just hit me - somehwere in D&D lore there are stunted, dwarf-like lizardmen! IIRC, they may have been one of the devolved, bestial offshoots detailed in the Red Steel (Mystara) material. Anyone else recall something along these lines?

I can't picture the Sarrukh (and Nagas and yuan-ti) NOT experimenting with ALL the major races. They may be able to get around such things using half-breeds (half-orcs, half-elves, genasi, etc). So long as there is human blood in there somewhere, it should be do-able.

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Nov 2013 16:11:26
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2013 :  19:29:10  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Now, yuan-ti dwarves ... hmm, that bears some thought.

That thought of yuan-ti with beards is disturbing in so many ways.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2013 :  22:49:22  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Genasi Yuan-ti. It has a certain ring to it.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2013 :  00:09:52  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about dragonborn yuan-ti? I seem to remember reading somewhere that there was some sort of dragon/yuan-ti hybrid (I think it was mentioned in the 3.x MM3, but I could be mistaken -_-').

Edited by - Drustan Dwnhaedan on 27 Nov 2013 00:11:41
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2014 :  00:47:31  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When the Yaun-Ti were first created there were no Elves on Faerun. They were created during the Days of Thunder, from mixing Surrak, Human, and possibly other reptiles into a new race to serve the reptilian creator race, the Surrak.

Could the Surra
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000