Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 D&D Next Playtest - Last Chance
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2013 :  18:02:20  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The current playtest packet is the last public playtest packet.

So if you're waiting to see what it looks like in finished form, the time is now. If you wait to read the PHB and DMG when they come to your local game store, there will be nothing left to do but put up with it. Now is your last chance to voice your opinions.

Note: it's still going to be like a year or more before it arrives. They're just closing the playtest now... doesn't mean they're going to be printing any time soon.

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2013 :  18:16:50  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, since the one change I actually want (i.e., the return of a certain drow goddess) is something WotC has made perfectly clear they will never do, there isn't any point for me to even bother trying.(Okay, so maybe WotC hasn't said anything one way or the other, but my instincts tell me they have already made up their minds on the matter, and no amount of players' complaints will change that.)
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2013 :  20:02:54  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Their stance on Leira following the ToT was even more adamant, but she's mentioned in Elminster's Forgotten Realms. At this point there's no telling what ends the Sundering might achieve.

That said, I (mostly) agree that they've (probably) made up their minds by this point on most of what will (likely) happen, and (unsolicited) player/DM opinion on it is (pretty much) irrelevant. They're just not telling us yet. [Cue fist-shaking and impotent demands for a FedEx person at my door with a 5e Player's Guide, over which Ed had final creative control, right now.]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2013 :  20:54:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

Unfortunately, since the one change I actually want (i.e., the return of a certain drow goddess) is something WotC has made perfectly clear they will never do, there isn't any point for me to even bother trying.(Okay, so maybe WotC hasn't said anything one way or the other, but my instincts tell me they have already made up their minds on the matter, and no amount of players' complaints will change that.)

But they've also stated they're bringing most, if not all, of the deities back. It obviously remains to be seen how this will be implemented, but I'm thinking we should wait to see what they're doing before reacting to it.

But even that isn't relevant to the discussion of playtesting the ruleset. Keep in mind they've not done an open playtest before; them doing one now certainly does show a willingness to listen to the customer.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2013 :  21:39:10  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, my earlier statement may have been rather hasty (as well as harsh). A couple of the guys in my current group have been playtesting 5e, and have enjoyed it so far. Perhaps I could join there group? (Or do I have to register with WotC to actually get a chance to play?)
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2013 :  22:04:12  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I haven't necessarily agreed with everything that they've presented so far, I must say that I have enjoyed the play tests so far...and the fact that they are actually seeking out feedback on this material is a step in the right direction...
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2013 :  22:22:19  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Perhaps I could join there group? (Or do I have to register with WotC to actually get a chance to play?)

As far as I know, you don't have to register with WotC to participate in the playtest, exactly.

You do, as Markus noted, have to create a new logon id at the WotC website in order to access the playtest packets. There's no charge for that; it's not part of DDI or anything. Once that's done (one time) you can freely download the packets and you'll get emails informing you of new ones and of surveys in which you can voice your feedback. From what I've seen, the surveys are extensive and ask very specific questions, as well as giving you boxes to type in additional comments.

There are no requirements as far as how you test the rules. You can use the playtest rules in an existing group, or start a new group; whatever. You don't have to submit anything specific to WotC, like you do for Encounters play... unless (perhaps) you use the playtest rules as part of an Encounters session. In that case all the normal rules of Encounters probably apply.

But yes, you can use the playtest packets in any group, or just read through them on your own and provide feedback without a group.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 24 Sep 2013 22:24:37
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  06:23:48  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, xaeyruudh!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2013 :  16:36:32  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

quote:

Perhaps I could join there group? (Or do I have to register with WotC to actually get a chance to play?)

As far as I know, you don't have to register with WotC to participate in the playtest, exactly.

You do, as Markus noted, have to create a new logon id at the WotC website in order to access the playtest packets. There's no charge for that; it's not part of DDI or anything. Once that's done (one time) you can freely download the packets and you'll get emails informing you of new ones and of surveys in which you can voice your feedback. From what I've seen, the surveys are extensive and ask very specific questions, as well as giving you boxes to type in additional comments.

There are no requirements as far as how you test the rules. You can use the playtest rules in an existing group, or start a new group; whatever. You don't have to submit anything specific to WotC, like you do for Encounters play... unless (perhaps) you use the playtest rules as part of an Encounters session. In that case all the normal rules of Encounters probably apply.

But yes, you can use the playtest packets in any group, or just read through them on your own and provide feedback without a group.

Pretty much what I've been doing, though two others in our group share my DDI account so they won't be bothered with the whole "sign up" process (though it also means they have no real say in the Playtest process). It's all pretty simple and I've even been able to download it to my smartphone, which has given me time to read the documents at work in my downtime.

So far, I'm not suprised to see most of the changes they've made. With their whole intent on being modular they've taken a very 3E approach to things IMO. This goes from sub-classes providing the meat of the class differences, 3E style Multiclassing (with Ability score pre-reqs to keep things balanced), and a streamlined mechainc for most things (such as adding your proficiency bonus to Attacks, Saves, Skills where appropriate).

With this framework, they might be able to pull off different "feels" of other editions. Only time will tell though.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000